Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectAre you there, God? It's me, The Night Shift.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12761503
12761503, Are you there, God? It's me, The Night Shift.
Posted by duD, Tue Mar-24-15 09:04 PM
Two of my dad's friends died this week. It's Tuesday.
I guess when you enter septegenarism you start getting used to outliving your friends.

When I called my dad to see how he was doing, he sounded like he was doing great.
Turns out he hit his fifth(!) hole in one today.

They gave him a $200 bar tab to buy everybody drinks and he ended up owing 30 bucks.

I asked where he hit it and it said it was the 14th hole - the one right by the house where Buddy, the really nice golden retriever all the neighborhood kids would play with lived.

Then he told me Buddy died a couple years ago.
In a housefire. on Christmas.
12761507, The Night Shift (tm)
Posted by samsara, Tue Mar-24-15 09:08 PM
my dad is 71
he's always had health issues so it's taken me awhile to realize that he's 71 and i need to start realizing how lucky i am that he's still around, made it this far

he had a serious health issue around when my second child was born
and lost a lot of weight
started taking the health issues more seriously

i talk to him now like every day, every other day
i just saw him last night

glad your dad is doing well and taking everything in stride
enjoy this time with him

12761517, Yeah, no doubt.
Posted by duD, Tue Mar-24-15 09:17 PM
Part of me want to have kids sooner than later so they can meet that guy.
12761520, :(
Posted by The_Orange_Ninja_Turtle, Tue Mar-24-15 09:19 PM
12761524, My grandfather passed away on 23rd Feb this year
Posted by Ted Gee Seal, Tue Mar-24-15 09:23 PM
He'd been on the decline for years and years. At Christmas he was barely monosyllabic. It was time, but come time to face everything at the funeral, it was pretty hard.

I guess things were really hanging in my head, because one month later, 23rd March, I had a dream about him. Never had a dream with him before. He was back to his old self, and we got to talk about sports and God one last time. I got to be by his side when he passed, and to let out tears, even if in my dreams, that I didn't let myself shed at the funeral.

It's funny, because I was probably in my feelings about how I maybe didn't make the most of all my time with him. He was just the kind of person to not sweat that at all, and still find a way to give me some peace over that, even if he had to step out of heaven for a second to comfort me.

Even if you don't believe in spirituality like that, I like to think that someone could appreciate that when a person is that special, that giving, they can leave pieces of themselves behind, providing comfort once they're gone.
12761532, That's wild
Posted by duD, Tue Mar-24-15 09:33 PM
My dad and I never really talked about religion before tonight.

One of his friends was pretty sick, everybody knew he was going soon. He said the last time they spoke, his friend mentioned how much he regretted never trying to convert one of their Jewish friends.

My dad was like hold up what about Harvey, and his friend was like "Nah, Harvey's too smart for that."

Then my dad and I agreed that religion is pretty dumb.
12761599, im here!
Posted by RobOne4, Wed Mar-25-15 01:23 AM
12761600, Tales of a Fourth Grade Night Shift
Posted by Adwhizz, Wed Mar-25-15 01:28 AM
Sadly I wasn't doing much of anything at night in Fourth grade, besides watching Nick At Night
12761606, that's a lot of hole in one's.
Posted by JAke_one, Wed Mar-25-15 03:24 AM
my grandparent is 86 and went to the hospital after I moved to a different city.

Having a relative in bad health is extra hard when you live in a different city.

Take care, duD.