Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12714637

Subject: "Stacey Dash on Rape Victims: They're Bad Girls Who Like to Be Naughty" Previous topic | Next topic
thegodcam
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
41487 posts
Fri Jan-30-15 06:06 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Stacey Dash on Rape Victims: They're Bad Girls Who Like to Be Naughty"

http://jezebel.com/stacey-dash-on-rape-victims-theyre-bad-girls-who-like-1682816320

Stacey Dash on Rape Victims: They're Bad Girls Who Like to Be Naughty

It is hard to expect much of Outnumbered. It is also hard to expect much of Fox News, the channel on which Outnumbered airs. And yet a head shake still occurs when one hears an opinion like the one Stacey Dash shared during Friday's episode, when she stated that college women who are raped are "bad girls" who "go out and play and get hurt" and then blame "the alcohol."

As Media Matters points out, Outnumbered got their hands on two news stories today and went as hard as frat boy with a keg and funnel: First, that national sorority chapters have asked sorority sisters at the University of Virginia to avoid fraternity houses this weekend, and second, Dartmouth College's decision to ban hard alcohol on campus. Neither of these ideas are particularly good ones, but they do not deserve the treatment they got from Dash, or from fellow nothingburger Andrea Tantaros.

To start, Dash said she thought suggesting to the "good" sorority sisters that they avoid frat parties was "a good thing for the girls...to be told to stay home, be safe." (She had to be corrected for calling them girls and not women.):

The other bad girls–bad women–are the ones who like to be naughty, might go out and play and get hurt and then, you know...But the other thing about this is that it then blames the alcohol instead of the person who over-drinks. So it's like, the same thing with guns. Guns don't kill people; people kill people. Alcohol doesn't get you drunk; you get yourself drunk.
Let's just break that logic down.

Guns don't kill people; people kill people. True.

Alcohol doesn't get you drunk; you get yourself drunk. True.

Rape victims aren't raped; they rape themselves/get themselves raped.

Tantaros wasn't as caught up as Stacey in this oh-so-original brand of victim-blaming of these naughty, naughty girls. She just wants the rules to be clear. Wouldn't we all! But perhaps not for quite the reasons she does.

I would just like someone to tell me the rules. Are women strong enough to take care of themselves, or are they not strong enough to take care of themselves? Because we're getting so many mixed messages. And I do feel for some of these fraternity guys because you look at UVA, none of them have been convicted of anything. So I think a lot of boys are feeling like the minute they step foot on college – let me finish, they step foot on college and they are immediately considered to be guilty. I mean girls are given rape whistles and boys aren't allowed at frat parties – either women can handle liquor and make responsible choices or they can't. And they're a bunch of babies who need to be kept away from liquor and boys.
"Either women can handle liquor and make responsible choices or they can't." There are plenty of mixed messages out there, but these women aren't helping.

i will not let finite disappointment undermine infinite hope
- Cory Booker

Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes, and at the end the Germans always win
- Gary Lineker

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Why is it that women who are conservative tend to be nutty as hell
Jan 30th 2015
RE: Why is it that people who are conservative tend to be nutty as hell
Jan 30th 2015
      RE: Well yeah the men on the GOP side of the aisle are crazy as hell
Jan 30th 2015
she didn't use the terms "rape" or "rape victims"
Jan 30th 2015
but it should be cuz that's what they are?
Jan 30th 2015
no, I dont think girls who like to party are bad people
Jan 30th 2015
      no. what she said is stupid
Jan 31st 2015
           Stacey Dash said nothing about rape or rape victims.
Jan 31st 2015
                I hate it so much.
Jan 31st 2015
Right. I don't like this woman, but she didn't say that at all
Jan 30th 2015
      In other words, women need to take responsibility for their choices
Jan 31st 2015
           I think people make this point at the wrong time a lot.
Jan 31st 2015
                hey look the 3 Stooges of
Jan 31st 2015
                     Oh look...buzzwords that you apparently don't know the meaning of
Jan 31st 2015
                     nah, both fit you to a tea
Jan 31st 2015
                     ^^^Says someone who thinks women are too dumb to take care
Jan 31st 2015
                          damn bruh you jumped to call woman dumb real quick
Jan 31st 2015
Noted. So if/when someone rapes Stacey Dash, here's their defense
Jan 30th 2015
Jan 31st 2015
my man
Jan 31st 2015
Was Stacy talking this crazy before she joined fox news ?
Feb 01st 2015

vee-lover
Member since Jul 30th 2007
20388 posts
Fri Jan-30-15 06:09 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Why is it that women who are conservative tend to be nutty as hell"
In response to Reply # 0

grassrootsphilosopher

Damali
Member since Sep 12th 2002
35854 posts
Fri Jan-30-15 06:17 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "RE: Why is it that people who are conservative tend to be nutty as hell"
In response to Reply # 1

#FIFU

(fixed it for you)

vee-lover
Member since Jul 30th 2007
20388 posts
Fri Jan-30-15 06:46 PM

7. "RE: Well yeah the men on the GOP side of the aisle are crazy as hell"
In response to Reply # 3

too for the most part but a *few* of the male conservatives are somewhat sensible

But

The women though? I can't think of ONE female politician or commentator who is conservative that isn't batshit crazy (Sarah Palin/Michelle Bachman/Christine Odonell/Jan Brewer/Liz Cheney/AnnCoulter/Laura Ingraham/Michelle Malkin)

>#FIFU
>
>(fixed it for you)

grassrootsphilosopher

atruhead
Charter member
85230 posts
Fri Jan-30-15 06:12 PM

2. "she didn't use the terms "rape" or "rape victims""
In response to Reply # 0

it wasn't even implied

bonitaapplebaum71481
Member since Aug 04th 2003
22576 posts
Fri Jan-30-15 06:43 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "but it should be cuz that's what they are?"
In response to Reply # 2

"i wanna hug all u idiotic bastards & then set you all on fire" -Bin

www.twitter.com/bedstuybetty
http://bedstuybetty.tumblr.com/
DROkayplayer: Giving you good puff since May '05

atruhead
Charter member
85230 posts
Fri Jan-30-15 06:51 PM

8. "no, I dont think girls who like to party are bad people"
In response to Reply # 4
Fri Jan-30-15 06:52 PM by atruhead

The context I picked up was "girls who knowingly place themselves in danger at frat parties like to live on the wild side", not that they aren't worthy of respect or protection or that they deserve any negative fallout

the media basically hates Stacey Dash for being anti-Obama or pro Republican, so they have it out for her

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Sat Jan-31-15 07:23 PM

12. "no. what she said is stupid"
In response to Reply # 8

and tied to the virgin/whore dichotomy that folk love to use when dislocating blame from rapist and placing it on victims.

and she was implying that "naughty girls" should learn not to put themselves in those situations. which her co-panalist co-signed with that "then they go home and cry" bullshit.

now a tru head, please give me the schemata of a "naughty/bad girl" in public who is consuming alcohol as a opposed to a "good girl". or once she drinks she's already "bad/naughty"

atruhead
Charter member
85230 posts
Sat Jan-31-15 07:46 PM

15. "Stacey Dash said nothing about rape or rape victims."
In response to Reply # 12

>tied to the virgin/whore dichotomy that folk love to use
>when dislocating blame from rapist and placing it on victims.

>and she was implying that "naughty girls" should learn not to
>put themselves in those situations.

I dont think she implied anything about rape. A Rolling Stone article was mentioned about a false rape allegation, then the segment went on a tangent about how frat parties aren't safe. she said naughty girls are willing to place themselves in risky environments for a thrill, that's where it should have ended.

>now a tru head, please give me the schemata of a "naughty/bad
>girl" in public who is consuming alcohol. as a opposed to a
"good girl". or once she drinks she's already "bad/naughty"

you left out a key detail. they didn't say "women shouldn't drink at bars", rather "women shouldn't drink at frat parties where scumbags are waiting to take advantage of them (consensually or otherwise)".

in no way does this absolve said scumbag of responsibility to be a good human, but much of college partying is uncontrollable fuckery so do your best to put your safety first

maybe it's bc I work in media, but spinning quotes for headlines is a pet peeve

Monkey Genius
Member since Mar 04th 2005
8099 posts
Sat Jan-31-15 08:06 PM

17. "I hate it so much."
In response to Reply # 15

>spinning quotes for
>headlines

----------------------------------
I have a webcomic: www.watchthecomic.com

My webcomic has a page: www.facebook.com/watchyourheadcomic

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15893 posts
Fri Jan-30-15 06:44 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "Right. I don't like this woman, but she didn't say that at all"
In response to Reply # 2

I actually don't know what she tried to say because it was all a jumbled mess.
But she def. didn't say anything like girls who get raped are bad girls.

What I think she said is that it is good for the sororities to ban them from going to the parties because it would be dangerous that night.
So the "good girls" will stay home, but the "bad girls" (who don't follow rules) will go out and take the risk and possibly get hurt.

Basically don't knowingly put yourself in a dangerous situation when you have been warned about it

Shaun Tha Don
Member since Nov 19th 2005
18284 posts
Sat Jan-31-15 03:29 PM

9. "In other words, women need to take responsibility for their choices"
In response to Reply # 5

because (white knight) men ain't always gonna be around to save them when shit hits the fan.

>Basically don't knowingly put yourself in a dangerous
>situation when you have been warned about it

Rest In Peace, Bad News Brown

PoppaGeorge
Member since Nov 07th 2004
10384 posts
Sat Jan-31-15 03:52 PM

10. "I think people make this point at the wrong time a lot."
In response to Reply # 9

i.e. immediately after a rape case makes headlines.

"well, if she wasn't drinking while clearly underage this wouldn't have happened"...

... which, while very likely to be the truth, saying it after something traumatic happening is just piss poor timing.

... maybe try instilling it as kids are growing up.
---------------------------

forcing myself to actually respond to you is like bathing in ebola virus. - Binlahab

Like there is stupid, and then there is you, and then there is dead. - VAsBestBBW

R.I.P. Disco D

astralblak
20029 posts
Sat Jan-31-15 07:29 PM

14. "hey look the 3 Stooges of "
In response to Reply # 10

Patriarchy and misogyny

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15893 posts
Sat Jan-31-15 07:59 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
16. "Oh look...buzzwords that you apparently don't know the meaning of"
In response to Reply # 14

Should have thrown in chauvinist for good measure

astralblak
20029 posts
Sat Jan-31-15 10:53 PM

19. "nah, both fit you to a tea"
In response to Reply # 16

Most post like these you in here with the same bullshit about a woman's responsibility and choices and blah blah blah

I dont think you're a bad dude, but you def have no idea what you talking about in terms of things related to social power and politcal capital

Shaun Tha Don
Member since Nov 19th 2005
18284 posts
Sat Jan-31-15 08:09 PM

18. "^^^Says someone who thinks women are too dumb to take care"
In response to Reply # 14

of themselves, hence the misogyny card.

Rest In Peace, Bad News Brown

astralblak
20029 posts
Sat Jan-31-15 10:55 PM

20. "damn bruh you jumped to call woman dumb real quick"
In response to Reply # 18

Not surprising

You, I do think are a terrible human being, just by the countless Ted Cruz posting you do

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44805 posts
Fri Jan-30-15 06:45 PM

6. "Noted. So if/when someone rapes Stacey Dash, here's their defense"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Jan-30-15 06:47 PM by Cold Truth

There's a fair point to be made- I.E, I'd advise my daughter to avoid such events when the time comes. Hell, I'd advise my son to steer well clear himself.

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132212 posts
Sat Jan-31-15 05:57 PM

11. "..."
In response to Reply # 0

http://youtu.be/7wiUeNcaPHk?t=35s

astralblak
20029 posts
Sat Jan-31-15 07:24 PM

13. "my man"
In response to Reply # 11

neuro_OSX
Member since Oct 29th 2004
1157 posts
Sun Feb-01-15 05:47 AM

21. "Was Stacy talking this crazy before she joined fox news ?"
In response to Reply # 0

"You used to be so cool, but now, you know you're so cold"

Lobby General Discussion topic #12714637 Previous topic | Next topic