Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13494303

Subject: "Can anyone recommend a cell phone plan (MVNO, like Mint, Visible, etc.)" Previous topic | Next topic
handle
Charter member
19004 posts
Thu Nov-09-23 04:59 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Can anyone recommend a cell phone plan (MVNO, like Mint, Visible, etc.)"
Thu Nov-09-23 05:21 PM by handle

I'm finally dumping post-paid AT&T because I'm paying like $155 for 2 lines and I don't use much data (almost always 10gb-12gb, with an occasional 20gb month) and I almost never travel.

Phones are iPhone 15 Pro, and iPhone 15 - both use e-sim.

I'm looking at Mint ($35 a month, T-Mobile), Visible+ ($35 a month, Verizon) or Boost Infinite ($35 a month, AT&T.)

Anyone use a MNVO or prepaid services they can recommend? (Post pay is fine too.)

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I thin Mint and Visible are both fine
Nov 09th 2023
do they offer spectrum Internet where you live?
Nov 09th 2023
They do
Nov 12th 2023
      Can't edit, but maybe Spectrum is a good idea
Nov 12th 2023
           just checked, the $29.99 includes taxes
Nov 12th 2023
                I switched us to Spectrum
Nov 13th 2023
Tello $8 per month without data
Nov 09th 2023
RE: Tello $8 per month without data
Nov 11th 2023
I use Ting.
Nov 10th 2023
We may try Boost Infinite
Nov 12th 2023

Rjcc
Charter member
95061 posts
Thu Nov-09-23 06:12 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "I thin Mint and Visible are both fine"
In response to Reply # 0

especially if there's coverage where you live

but I had Simple Mobile for a while, and idk how much this is the case still

but my isse with mvnos is that when I was in a congested area like a stadium, or maybe out in the boonies where everyone is on one tower

my data would get deprioritized so it would be slow / capped even if I had a strong signal.

I've used t-mobile prepaid for years, mostly bc I have plan that doesn't exist anymore in terms of...I think unlimited hotspot data? I forget

the downside with having t-mobile (pre or post paid) is that they get hacked like every six months and leak all your data, so

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

shygurl
Member since Oct 08th 2002
13405 posts
Thu Nov-09-23 07:11 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "do they offer spectrum Internet where you live?"
In response to Reply # 0

If they do, you can get unlimited talk/text/web for $30 a month. It runs off of Verizon's service and as of yet I've had no issue with it.

At one point if you signed up for one phone plan with them, you could get 12 months free of another phone line (don't know if they still offer that, this was in the summer).

I hope you live a life you’re proud of. If you find that you’re not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again.

— F. Scott Fitzgerald

handle
Charter member
19004 posts
Sun Nov-12-23 10:05 AM

7. "They do"
In response to Reply # 2

I have it turned on my my mother's house.

I looked into it - it's pretty much the same as Boost Infinite but $5 more a month.

The backup plan is to go to Boost Infinite and if it stinks port over to AT&T prepaid (which I can't do now - AT&T postpaid won't allow you to port into AT&T prepaid.)

------------

handle
Charter member
19004 posts
Sun Nov-12-23 11:11 AM

8. "Can't edit, but maybe Spectrum is a good idea"
In response to Reply # 7

Spectrum still has the 2 lines for $29.99, I think I'm going to look into that.

I pay $1860 for 2 lines, unlimited talk and like 20gb data (with rollover.)

Spectrum would be $360 a year (plus some taxes?) for the first year - with a data cap of 20GB a months (then they throttle) and then $720 a year after.

------------

shygurl
Member since Oct 08th 2002
13405 posts
Sun Nov-12-23 12:22 PM

9. "just checked, the $29.99 includes taxes"
In response to Reply # 8

I pay a bit more because I brought a Pixel, but taxes are included in that price.

I hope you live a life you’re proud of. If you find that you’re not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again.

— F. Scott Fitzgerald

handle
Charter member
19004 posts
Mon Nov-13-23 09:46 AM

10. "I switched us to Spectrum"
In response to Reply # 9

It is $29.99 for 2 phones, unlimited talk and text and 30GB a month data for each phone before throttling.

It's Verizon and the 5G Ultra Wideband worked in my neighborhood so I'm getting 400Mbps.

Thanks for suggesting it.

------------

Kira
Member since Nov 14th 2004
28893 posts
Thu Nov-09-23 10:42 PM

3. "Tello $8 per month without data"
In response to Reply # 0

If you're on wifi 24/7 grab a text plus membership for $5 per year.

No empathy for white misery (c) BDot

"root for everybody black haters say that's crazy, wow..."

cloak323
Member since Sep 14th 2007
374 posts
Sat Nov-11-23 11:20 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "RE: Tello $8 per month without data"
In response to Reply # 3

I use Tello. Not a high usage guy, so it works for me. The unlimited data plan $29- after 25GB, the 5G drops to 2G...so there's that.
So far no issues with calling and texting.

Numba_33
Charter member
19408 posts
Fri Nov-10-23 04:43 PM

4. "I use Ting."
In response to Reply # 0

My bill routinely costs around just under $19, but I make sure to use Wi-fi as the bill does get higher the more data is used.

One of the good things from listening to Joe Rogan's podcast when I did roughly 10 or so years ago was hearing of that service. Saved me a ton of money over the years for sure.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

handle
Charter member
19004 posts
Sun Nov-12-23 10:03 AM

6. "We may try Boost Infinite"
In response to Reply # 0

I think after reading suggestions that we're going to try Boost Infinite.

Mainly because they use AT&T and T-Mobile towers, and that they 25 a month plans seems to cover everything we need. It won't have the *super fast* network, but I don't need that - and if I do it seems to be only another $10 to add.

I also liked that they provide a step-by-step guide : https://help.boostinfinite.com/docs/pre-activation-checklist and https://help.boostinfinite.com/docs/number-transfer-att

------------

Lobby General Discussion topic #13494303 Previous topic | Next topic