Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectCan anyone recommend a cell phone plan (MVNO, like Mint, Visible, etc.)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13494303
13494303, Can anyone recommend a cell phone plan (MVNO, like Mint, Visible, etc.)
Posted by handle, Thu Nov-09-23 04:59 PM
I'm finally dumping post-paid AT&T because I'm paying like $155 for 2 lines and I don't use much data (almost always 10gb-12gb, with an occasional 20gb month) and I almost never travel.

Phones are iPhone 15 Pro, and iPhone 15 - both use e-sim.

I'm looking at Mint ($35 a month, T-Mobile), Visible+ ($35 a month, Verizon) or Boost Infinite ($35 a month, AT&T.)

Anyone use a MNVO or prepaid services they can recommend? (Post pay is fine too.)

13494308, I thin Mint and Visible are both fine
Posted by Rjcc, Thu Nov-09-23 06:12 PM
especially if there's coverage where you live

but I had Simple Mobile for a while, and idk how much this is the case still

but my isse with mvnos is that when I was in a congested area like a stadium, or maybe out in the boonies where everyone is on one tower

my data would get deprioritized so it would be slow / capped even if I had a strong signal.

I've used t-mobile prepaid for years, mostly bc I have plan that doesn't exist anymore in terms of...I think unlimited hotspot data? I forget

the downside with having t-mobile (pre or post paid) is that they get hacked like every six months and leak all your data, so

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at
13494311, do they offer spectrum Internet where you live?
Posted by shygurl, Thu Nov-09-23 07:11 PM
If they do, you can get unlimited talk/text/web for $30 a month. It runs off of Verizon's service and as of yet I've had no issue with it.

At one point if you signed up for one phone plan with them, you could get 12 months free of another phone line (don't know if they still offer that, this was in the summer).

13494397, They do
Posted by handle, Sun Nov-12-23 10:05 AM
I have it turned on my my mother's house.

I looked into it - it's pretty much the same as Boost Infinite but $5 more a month.

The backup plan is to go to Boost Infinite and if it stinks port over to AT&T prepaid (which I can't do now - AT&T postpaid won't allow you to port into AT&T prepaid.)
13494401, Can't edit, but maybe Spectrum is a good idea
Posted by handle, Sun Nov-12-23 11:11 AM
Spectrum still has the 2 lines for $29.99, I think I'm going to look into that.

I pay $1860 for 2 lines, unlimited talk and like 20gb data (with rollover.)

Spectrum would be $360 a year (plus some taxes?) for the first year - with a data cap of 20GB a months (then they throttle) and then $720 a year after.

13494406, just checked, the $29.99 includes taxes
Posted by shygurl, Sun Nov-12-23 12:22 PM
I pay a bit more because I brought a Pixel, but taxes are included in that price.
13494421, I switched us to Spectrum
Posted by handle, Mon Nov-13-23 09:46 AM
It is $29.99 for 2 phones, unlimited talk and text and 30GB a month data for each phone before throttling.

It's Verizon and the 5G Ultra Wideband worked in my neighborhood so I'm getting 400Mbps.

Thanks for suggesting it.
13494315, Tello $8 per month without data
Posted by Kira, Thu Nov-09-23 10:42 PM
If you're on wifi 24/7 grab a text plus membership for $5 per year.
13494375, RE: Tello $8 per month without data
Posted by cloak323, Sat Nov-11-23 11:20 AM
I use Tello. Not a high usage guy, so it works for me. The unlimited data plan $29- after 25GB, the 5G drops to 2G...so there's that.
So far no issues with calling and texting.
13494365, I use Ting.
Posted by Numba_33, Fri Nov-10-23 04:43 PM
My bill routinely costs around just under $19, but I make sure to use Wi-fi as the bill does get higher the more data is used.

One of the good things from listening to Joe Rogan's podcast when I did roughly 10 or so years ago was hearing of that service. Saved me a ton of money over the years for sure.
13494396, We may try Boost Infinite
Posted by handle, Sun Nov-12-23 10:03 AM
I think after reading suggestions that we're going to try Boost Infinite.

Mainly because they use AT&T and T-Mobile towers, and that they 25 a month plans seems to cover everything we need. It won't have the *super fast* network, but I don't need that - and if I do it seems to be only another $10 to add.

I also liked that they provide a step-by-step guide : https://help.boostinfinite.com/docs/pre-activation-checklist and https://help.boostinfinite.com/docs/number-transfer-att