Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn Pass The Popcorn Archives topic #8713

Subject: "Hero (Jet Li, Maggie Cheung) DVD review" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
johnbook
Charter member
65030 posts
Sat May-24-03 10:34 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Hero (Jet Li, Maggie Cheung) DVD review"
Sat May-24-03 10:35 PM

Just uploaded to my website:
http://www.john-book.com/reviews/dvd/hero-dvd.htm

-----------------------------------------------

HERO
Starring: Jet Li, Maggie Cheung, Tony Leung, Daoming Chen, Donnie Yen, Zyang Ziyi
Directed by Zyang Yimou
(Wei Kai/Guang Dong Face GCDV 184)

RATING: * * * * * (5 out of 5)

Wow, wow, wow, wow, and wow! I cannot believe what I just watched just now. This is one of many reasons why I avoid most movies from Hollywood. I just saw the very powerful movie Hero, directed by Zhang Yimou. The DVD came in the mail yesterday, and I am totally blown away. I don't want to spoil anything, but this film was beautifully shot and directed, well written, and the metaphors throughout are just... there is a sense of pain that is prevalent in the best Chinese movies, and this one takes that element to a much higher level. There is some swordplay in this, but I would not call this a kung fu movie. There is some wire-fu too, but this isn't Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon Part II: Electric Char Siu.

I don't want to spoil anything, but this is easily Jet Li's best film to date, and he has been in his share of duds (Black Mask anyone?) I'm a huge fan of Maggie Cheung, and this only strengthens my love for her work. I'm not familiar with all of Tony Leung's work, so I didn't recognize him in this at first until I started writing this and went to the movie website. This is the same guy who was Cheung's love interest in In The Mood For Love, and in this film they are lovers as well. While Wong Kar Wai's film has nothing to do with Hero, I think the relationship they hold together in previous films is touching, and there's a moment between them at the end of the film that seems very fitting and appropriate (one that is very emotional for anyone who has ever felt their on-screen chemistry).

The movie deals with a character who wants to kill. But he is told by a friend that perhaps he should seek peace. Those who are at war with each other generally have different ideas of the same concept. If they take time to meet, they'll find they have the same goals. But somehow, death is always certain. The cinematography only helps enhance the storyline, with full shots of armies, deserts, rivers, and skies adding to the richness of the movie. Hero definitely makes the best use of color schemes, in fact the colors are very specific to what is going on in the film (i.e. while white is often seen as the color of peace, in some cultures white also signifies death). Not only does this add a nice touch to a beautifully shot film, but it also helps the viewer to find continuity with these scenes, especially when it deals with the flashbacks of two of the main characters.

While this movie is a period piece, it also uses the latest modern technology without ruining the plot or movement of the film. The crowd shots are enough to take ones breath away, and it looks like there's about a thousand people in these scenes, but are they real, or are they computer-enhanced? The digitized moments that are obvious, such as slow motion water droplets during a fight scene, aren't harmful to the flow. There is an element of fantasy throughout, but one can't deny that the impact it makes on the viewer at the end is very real.

Films like this are often filled with some kind of deeper messages. At the end, my sister talked about it and goes "considering how the world is right now, this movie fits in very well. Look at the people of the United States, and look at our government. Look at the treatment of the people. Look who wins." That didn't even cross my mind, and yet it made perfect sense. Is Hero a political film, a kung fu fantasy, or one of the best movies ever made? It could be all, it could be none. I went into this film only knowing that one of my favorite actresses (Maggie Cheung) was in it, and that it also starred Jet Li and Zyang Ziyi. I came out of it with all of my senses feeling overwhelmed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Miramax owns the rights to this film in some world markets, including the United States, where it has yet to be released in any form. According to , Miramax actually forced director Zhang Yimou to edit the original 120 minute film by 30 minutes, claiming that American audience would not sit and tolerate a film that long. To satisfy their needs, Yimou edited the film down to 98 minutes, and this is the version that has been shown around the world, including China. However, he is planning to release the unedited 120 minute version on DVD in Hong Kong and China very soon, although there are no plans to release the unedited version for the big screen. There is also a delay in getting this movie out in American theaters, and fans of foreign film are left wondering why Hollywood continues to alter the content of any film that isn't their own. Don't wait around, I highly recommend hunting this DVD down and .

TITLE: Hero (Ying xiong)
STARRING: Jet Li, Maggie Cheung, Tony Leung, Daoming Chen, Donnie Yen, Zyang Ziyi
LENGTH: 98 minutes
AUDIO: Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound
VIDEO: Letterboxed/Widescreen; 1 : 2.35 screen ratio; NTSC
LANGUAGE: Mandarin Chinese
SUBTITLES: Yes (Simplified Chinese/Traditional Chinese/English)
EXTRAS: 24 minute Hero Defined documentary (in Mandarin only, no subtitles)
REGION: 0, (says "3" but is actually "region free", playable on any DVD player around the world)

p.e.a.c.e.
-John Book

THE HOME OF BOOK-NESS:
http://thisisbooksmusic.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/thisisjohnbook
http://www.facebook.com/book1

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
3 questions...
May 24th 2003
RE: 3 questions...
May 24th 2003
      it is enhanced for 16x9 televisions...
May 25th 2003
      RE: it is enhanced for 16x9 televisions...
May 25th 2003
      Notes -
May 25th 2003
           instant archivability...
May 25th 2003
           someone should inbox the mod
May 25th 2003
                RE: someone should inbox the mod
May 25th 2003
           RE: Notes -
May 25th 2003
May 25th 2003
May 25th 2003
                Sight and Sound = Obi-Wan
May 25th 2003
                     It's all good -
May 25th 2003
i *loved* Hero
May 25th 2003
this is domestic? the Miramax?
May 25th 2003
make sure
May 25th 2003
RE: make sure it's the full-length version first
May 25th 2003
Do it
May 25th 2003
      their releasing it in November
May 25th 2003
           RE: their releasing it in November
May 25th 2003
''buy it now'' from the person johnbook did for $2.95
May 25th 2003
i just did for $9.90 (shipping is only $6.95 from HK)
May 25th 2003
just got it!
May 25th 2003
if it wasn't for johnbook...
May 25th 2003
      RE: if it wasn't for johnbook...
May 25th 2003
           you've made me curious...
May 25th 2003
                LOTS OF ANIME
May 25th 2003
                     CoSign on Bebop!
May 27th 2003
                          Are the subtitles craptacular?
May 27th 2003
YO... CHECK OUT THIS MESSAGE I GOT
May 26th 2003
      JB - can you verify?
May 26th 2003
           Yes
May 26th 2003
                Thanks JB -
May 26th 2003
                the seller i got it from
May 27th 2003
                     RE: the seller i got it from
May 27th 2003
                          okay, then
May 27th 2003
Yeah its great
May 25th 2003
RE: Yeah its great
May 25th 2003
      RE: Yeah its great
May 25th 2003
What fucking sucks is...
May 25th 2003
yep
May 25th 2003
      You got the cheaper version?
May 25th 2003
      RE: You got the cheaper version?
May 25th 2003
      better quality?
May 25th 2003
           RE: better quality?
May 25th 2003
                RE: better quality?
May 25th 2003
URL on the "Hero" dilemma
May 25th 2003
'herodvd' will upgrade to the dvd9 version for $3
May 25th 2003
DVD versions
May 25th 2003
RE: DVD versions
May 26th 2003
      RE: DVD versions
May 26th 2003
           current auctions by herodvd.
May 27th 2003
                RE: current auctions by herodvd.
May 27th 2003
                     i wonder...
May 27th 2003
                          RE: i wonder...
May 27th 2003
                               RE: Quick question
May 27th 2003
                                    RE: Quick question
May 27th 2003
i got my copy today
May 31st 2003
cool...
May 31st 2003
RE: i got my copy today
May 31st 2003
I just got it in the mail from herodvd...
Jun 02nd 2003
i just posted direct links & stuff...
Jun 02nd 2003
got mine on Saturday
Jun 02nd 2003
Cyberhome
Jun 02nd 2003
      so far it's working fine
Jun 03rd 2003
bump
Jun 02nd 2003
got the dvd9 version today...
Jun 02nd 2003
note about dvd9 version...
Jun 02nd 2003
      RE: note about dvd9 version...
Jun 02nd 2003
thank you so much john.
Jun 02nd 2003
You're welcome
Jun 02nd 2003
MAJOR SPOILER *the end text* MAJOR SPOILER
Jun 02nd 2003
what are
Jun 08th 2003
      RE: what are
Jun 08th 2003
           What was wrong with your subtitles?
Jun 08th 2003
                RE: What was wrong with your subtitles?
Jun 08th 2003
                     Yup, I agree
Jun 08th 2003
                          awaiting the deluxe edition
Jun 08th 2003
                               RE: awaiting the deluxe edition
Jun 09th 2003
RE: Hero (Jet Li, Maggie Cheung) DVD review
Jun 08th 2003
you're welcome
Jun 08th 2003

m
Charter member
15756 posts
Sat May-24-03 10:41 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "3 questions..."
In response to Reply # 0
Sat May-24-03 10:44 PM

seems a lot of people really enjoyed this movie, so i want to pick it up... but first i need 2 questions answered

first, is it enhanced for anamorphic (16x9) widescreen televisions?

second, where can i buy it now?

or

third, should i wait and buy it region 1 so the extras are available with english subs... do you know (approximately) when it's supposed to get it's region 1 release?

i didn't read your review... just saw you gave it 5 stars out of 5... that's enough for me without reading any spoilers to trust that you enjoyed it enough for me to buy it

johnbook
Charter member
65030 posts
Sat May-24-03 10:58 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "RE: 3 questions..."
In response to Reply # 1

>first, is it enhanced for anamorphic (16x9) widescreen
>televisions?

I am not sure.

> second, where can i buy it now? <
Unless there's a store in Chinatown that has a copy, you'll probably have to buy it online. Try here:

http://www.monkeypeaches.com/HERODVD.html
http://www.monkeypeaches.com/Hero.html

I got mine on eBay from a dealer listed as "heroDVD" and I got mine in less than a week. It is an official DVD.

-------
Miramax has given the movie some serious problems, which is why the U.S. release has been delayed. The HK version of the DVD is very cheap (my copy was only $2.99 and the audio and video quality is excellent).

p.e.a.c.e.
-John Book

THE HOME OF BOOK-NESS:

m
Charter member
15756 posts
Sun May-25-03 02:49 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "it is enhanced for 16x9 televisions..."
In response to Reply # 2
Sun May-25-03 02:57 AM

according to the auction description... (i'd add that to your review on your website, a lot of people care about that - too late to add it to the review here, obviously - although shockzilla probably would if you asked him heheh)

johnbook
Charter member
65030 posts
Sun May-25-03 09:49 AM

20. "RE: it is enhanced for 16x9 televisions..."
In response to Reply # 9

I will add it to my review.

p.e.a.c.e.
-John Book

THE HOME OF BOOK-NESS:

Sight and Sound
Member since Apr 11th 2003
704 posts
Sun May-25-03 06:08 AM

14. "Notes -"
In response to Reply # 2

>Miramax has given the movie some serious problems, which is
>why the U.S. release has been delayed. The HK version of
>the DVD is very cheap (my copy was only $2.99 and the audio
>and video quality is excellent).

By the way, there's an sequence at the beginning in which the Chinese script ISN'T translated into English - here's what it says -

Two thousand years ago...
during the Warring States period,
China was divided into seven Kingdoms.

For years they battled for supremacy
while the people suffered.

The Emperor of Qin was the most ruthless
in his efforts to conquer the land
and unify all under heaven.

He was regarded as a common threat
by the other six Kingdoms.

The annals of Chinese history
are abound with tales of the assassins
sent to kill the great Emperor.

This is one of the legends...

-

As for Miramax, the theatrical release is slated for November of this year if I'm not mistaken, just in time for Oscar season - and seeing that it's by the same director behind "Raise the Red Lantern", it's got some art-house aesthetics goin' on so my guess is that Miramax wants the cred it may carry w/ members of the academy... The 98 minute version is truncated from Zang Yimou's 120 minute vision and was cut at the behest of studio interests for Western theatrical release - at present, there is no 120 minute DVD edition...

On a related note, Celestial Pictures in Hong Kong have begun to remaster digitally their classic Shaw Brothers catalog from the '60s and '70s - this includes "Enter the 36th Chamber" that JB mentioned would be screened at the SIFF (and is doin' the rounds elsewhere as part of a mini-retrospective). Also of note is the much revered "Come Drink w/ Me" starring Cheng Pei-pei, who also was in "Crouching Tiger..." (as Zang Ziyi's mentor). It's likely that the also popular follow-up to "Come...", "Golden Swallow", will be released soon as well... Available on region 3 DVD for those concerned... Miramax has bought the North American rights to this stuff; however, if you know anythin' about Harvey Weinstein, you know that Miramax usually does an underwhelming job on foreign film (scissors included) - so the choice ought not to be too hard...

"other than some of cann ox, el-p's beats sound like somebody molesting a household pet"
- soundsop

m
Charter member
15756 posts
Sun May-25-03 06:15 AM

16. "instant archivability..."
In response to Reply # 14

>By the way, there's an sequence at the beginning in which the Chinese script ISN'T translated into English - here's what it says -

thank you

shockzilla
Charter member
37800 posts
Sun May-25-03 06:30 AM

17. "someone should inbox the mod"
In response to Reply # 16

m
Charter member
15756 posts
Sun May-25-03 02:56 PM

32. "RE: someone should inbox the mod"
In response to Reply # 17

i didn't want to inbox ya yet, because i think that it's important to still see this for a while (once it's archived, it's gone from the listing and only viewable via searching... if i remember correctly

don't worry, one of us will bother ya lol...

johnbook
Charter member
65030 posts
Sun May-25-03 11:02 AM

27. "RE: Notes -"

Thank you. Would it be alright if I added that in my review?

p.e.a.c.e.
-John Book

THE HOME OF BOOK-NESS:

Sight and Sound
704 posts
Sun May-25-03 07:20 PM

39. "RE: Notes -"
In response to Reply # 27

>Thank you. Would it be alright if I added that in my
>review?

Go ahead JB - most welcome to 'em...

"other than some of cann ox, el-p's beats sound like somebody molesting a household pet"
- soundsop

m
Charter member
15756 posts
Sun May-25-03 02:59 PM

33. "RE: Notes -"

man, we are so lucky to have you on this site.

hope you hang around.

Mynoriti
Charter member
38821 posts
Sun May-25-03 05:33 PM

36. "Sight and Sound = Obi-Wan"
In response to Reply # 33
Sun May-25-03 05:37 PM

>man, we are so lucky to have you on this site.
>
>hope you hang around.

He appears when he feels it's necessary lol

Sight and Sound
704 posts
Sun May-25-03 07:21 PM

40. "It's all good -"
In response to Reply # 36

>He appears when he feels it's necessary lol

You know? Like a lazy long weekend... Just to stir the drink, so to speak...

- soundsop

shockzilla
Charter member
37800 posts
Sun May-25-03 12:40 AM

3. "i *loved* Hero"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun May-25-03 02:42 AM

and desperately need to see the full-length version (i'm hoping that donnie yen has more scenes in the extended version- my only disappointment w/ hero was how little screen time he had)

it has such lyrical beauty- a most poetic movie

certainly not your typical jet li flick. as such, i think it's hard to compare the wong fei hung flicks to this, or fist of legend (which is still my personal favorite Li Lin Kit movie)

i take it that you've seen The Emperor and the Assassin?

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Sun May-25-03 01:56 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "this is domestic? the Miramax?"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun May-25-03 01:57 AM

i was about to buy an HK version on eBay... think i'm gonna do that anyway

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

shockzilla
Charter member
37800 posts
Sun May-25-03 02:03 AM

5. "make sure"
In response to Reply # 4

it's the full-length version first

m
Charter member
15756 posts
Sun May-25-03 02:46 AM

8. "RE: make sure it's the full-length version first"
In response to Reply # 5

it is...

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0299977

Runtime: China:93 min / Finlan 8 min / Swede 9 min / US 6 min

also, it's anamorphic widescreen... that cinched it for me...

johnbook
Charter member
65030 posts
Sun May-25-03 10:55 AM

25. "Do it"
In response to Reply # 4

Miramax has the rights to the movie, but this is the official version from Hong Kong (I generally prefer to get the HK DVD's anyway).

If Miramax refuses to market and release this movie properly, I say why not get the HK DVD, especially when it's that cheap, and that good? Miramax can't beat people to the punch, so I think they're losing out. If and when Miramax does release it at theaters, I will definitely go, as long as it doesn't have voice overdubs from Matt Damon and Drew Barrymore.

p.e.a.c.e.
-John Book

THE HOME OF BOOK-NESS:

DrNO
Charter member
25381 posts
Sun May-25-03 04:10 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
35. "their releasing it in November"
In response to Reply # 25

thats what i last heard.

_
http://youtube.com/watch?v=4TztqYaemt0
http://preptimeposse.blogspot.com/

johnbook
Charter member
65030 posts
Sun May-25-03 05:42 PM

37. "RE: their releasing it in November"
In response to Reply # 35

>thats what i last heard.<

I read that too, but my question is will it remain altered from the original HK version? I'm hoping, but I'm not holding my breath.

p.e.a.c.e.
-John Book

THE HOME OF BOOK-NESS:

m
Charter member
15756 posts
Sun May-25-03 02:23 AM

6. "''buy it now'' from the person johnbook did for $2.95"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun May-25-03 02:47 AM

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=herodvd

perfect feedback rating...

m
Charter member
15756 posts
Sun May-25-03 02:31 AM

7. "i just did for $9.90 (shipping is only $6.95 from HK)"
In response to Reply # 6
Sun May-25-03 02:48 AM

he has a few left. what a steal...

thanks John

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Sun May-25-03 04:03 AM

10. "just got it!"
In response to Reply # 6

thanks, yo!

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

m
Charter member
15756 posts
Sun May-25-03 04:07 AM

11. "if it wasn't for johnbook..."
In response to Reply # 10

>thanks, yo!

yeah, normally i'm weary of hk titles (bootleg/pirated) but if jb says it's official, that's good enough for me...

johnbook
Charter member
65030 posts
Sun May-25-03 10:56 AM

26. "RE: if it wasn't for johnbook..."
In response to Reply # 11

I have yet to buy a pirated DVD from Hong Kong, I'm generally careful too.

p.e.a.c.e.
-John Book

THE HOME OF BOOK-NESS:

m
Charter member
15756 posts
Sun May-25-03 02:51 PM

31. "you've made me curious..."
In response to Reply # 26

>I have yet to buy a pirated DVD from Hong Kong, I'm generally careful too.

i'm curious now what else is out there at these kind of prices

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Sun May-25-03 03:08 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
34. "LOTS OF ANIME"
In response to Reply # 31

For instance, Cowboy Bebop released a definative version of the series called the Perfect Edition, list price was 200 bucks, now more since its out of print.

There's a HK version of it out there, thats PERFECT, for 30 fucking bucks. Its technically a bootleg, however, its done through real HK businesses so the layouts, quality etc will be the same.

Mileage may of course vary, but you can definately find a steal.

KnowOne
Charter member
39945 posts
Tue May-27-03 01:46 AM

48. "CoSign on Bebop!"
In response to Reply # 34

The perfect sessions boot leg is PERFECT! I got it & it looks totally official! Great quality. And I only paid $30.

IG: KnowOne215 | PS+ ID: KnowOne215

KwesiAkoKennedy
Charter member
3770 posts
Tue May-27-03 08:35 AM

52. "Are the subtitles craptacular?"
In response to Reply # 48
Tue May-27-03 08:39 AM

It's the common curse of the HK bootleg.

Unless they copied it from the original Bandai disks.

Later...
Kwesi K.

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Mon May-26-03 02:29 PM

41. "YO... CHECK OUT THIS MESSAGE I GOT"
In response to Reply # 6

from another eBay buyer regarding the $2.95 Hero DVD

Hi,

This seller that you bought the DVD from (sylsyl_wen) sells bootleg
DVDs. I bought 3 off him on a transaction outside eBay. His shipping is
fast but the DVDs are of very poor quality. The disks were scratched
and the cover art was very blurry. The seller's name is Kevin. He also
didn't refund my money.

Just to give you a heads up,
John

Sight and Sound
704 posts
Mon May-26-03 02:57 PM

42. "JB - can you verify?"
In response to Reply # 41

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=617&item=3328362794

On the link above, about midway through the page, this particular seller lists a bunch of different versions of the movie available on DVD - the DVD-5 edition is the most widely circulated and least expensive - if JB can confirm that this is indeed the DVD he received - it ought not to be a fake if it has the seal of the manufacturer and the like on the front artwork...

- soundsop

johnbook
Charter member
65030 posts
Mon May-26-03 04:11 PM

43. "Yes"
In response to Reply # 42
Mon May-26-03 04:24 PM

My DVD has a hologram seal on the front. No scratches at all, quality is excellent, it looked like any HK DVD I've bought from other places in the U.S. In fact, let me scan the cover for you with the hologram sticker. I'll have it up in a few minutes.
----------
EDIT: Okay. To verify, the person I ordered from is totally different from the one listed in the above post.

Okay, here is a . It is full size (0.23mb) so if you have a slow connection, it probably will not be worth your time.

The scan I made is blurred on the bottom, but my actual copy is not. Everything is crystal clear. The DVD itself has printing on the disc, and is not a DVD-R. Audio and video quality on this is excellent, and it is a direct transfer, not a camcorder in a theater.

On the upper left hand cover of the cover, you will see the hologram sticker.

p.e.a.c.e.
-John Book

THE HOME OF BOOK-NESS:

Sight and Sound
704 posts
Mon May-26-03 05:08 PM

45. "Thanks JB -"
In response to Reply # 43

>My DVD has a hologram seal on the front. No scratches at
>all, quality is excellent, it looked like any HK DVD I've
>bought from other places in the U.S. In fact, let me scan
>the cover for you with the hologram sticker. I'll have it
>up in a few minutes.
> ----------
>EDIT: Okay. To verify, the person I ordered from is totally
>different from the one listed in the above post.
>The scan I made is blurred on the bottom, but my actual copy
>is not. Everything is crystal clear. The DVD itself has
>printing on the disc, and is not a DVD-R. Audio and video
>quality on this is excellent, and it is a direct transfer,
>not a camcorder in a theater.
>On the upper left hand cover of the cover, you will see the
>hologram sticker.

That's the version I copped some months back in an east coast Chinatown - just wanted to help folks out here who had ordered from the seller in question - from what I gather, this DVD-5 edition was the 1st to hit the market from a mainland China-based manufacturer and to assure consumers, came complete w/ the hologram sticker JB makes note of...

- soundsop

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Tue May-27-03 01:01 AM

47. "the seller i got it from"
In response to Reply # 43

was called HeroDVD. is that who you bought it from?

johnbook
Charter member
65030 posts
Tue May-27-03 06:11 AM

49. "RE: the seller i got it from"
In response to Reply # 47

Yes. His name is Dennis Chan.

p.e.a.c.e.
-John Book

THE HOME OF BOOK-NESS:

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Tue May-27-03 06:32 AM

50. "okay, then"
In response to Reply # 49

the dude who sent me that message must have gotten it mixed up

thanks

Mynoriti
Charter member
38821 posts
Sun May-25-03 04:46 AM

12. "Yeah its great"
In response to Reply # 0

an easy description would be to say its "Crouching Tiger" meets "Rashomon" but by no means am I saying its wannabecrouchingtigerhiddendragonandshit.

But yeah I really enjoyed it. Tony Leung and Maggie Cheung again have terrific on screen chemistry, and the visuals and action sequences are just beautiful

OminousEther
Member since Nov 22nd 2002
4739 posts
Sun May-25-03 05:09 AM

13. "RE: Yeah its great"
In response to Reply # 12

Maybe I need to buy this version to replace my bootleg DVD one, in mine I see people walking in front on the screen and periodically some one coughs.

http://www.last.fm/user/OlH8fulBastard

http://www.myspace.com/the_losers_club
^^^one of my peoples, dude can wright

m
Charter member
15756 posts
Sun May-25-03 06:14 AM

15. "RE: Yeah its great"
In response to Reply # 13

>and periodically some one coughs.

finally, now we know where sars originated...

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Sun May-25-03 08:43 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
18. "What fucking sucks is..."
In response to Reply # 0

Is like apparently the rest of you motherfuckers on the thread, the second I got to the link I tried to order.

However, considering they have the regular version for 3 bucks and supposedly even a BETTER quality version for 6, I tried to go for the good quality one, but that motherfucker was sold out. So fuck you all whoever on the thread picked up the 6 dollar version, that shit should have been min

johnbook
Charter member
65030 posts
Sun May-25-03 09:36 AM

19. "yep"
In response to Reply # 18

>However, considering they have the regular version for 3
>bucks and supposedly even a BETTER quality version for 6, I
>tried to go for the good quality one, but that motherfucker
>was sold out. So fuck you all whoever on the thread picked
>up the 6 dollar version, that shit should have been min

I wanted to get that one down the line, but I think I'll hold out until the uncut version comes out. The DVD I have, however, is excellent, no flaws, no people walking in front of the screen, it is a direct transfer.

p.e.a.c.e.
-John Book

THE HOME OF BOOK-NESS:

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Sun May-25-03 09:58 AM

21. "You got the cheaper version?"
In response to Reply # 19

MMMMMmmmm, time to whup out the credit card...

johnbook
Charter member
65030 posts
Sun May-25-03 10:52 AM

24. "RE: You got the cheaper version?"
In response to Reply # 21

Yep. I don't have a DTS setup, so it seemed pointless for me right now to get it. I was surprised too that the DVD was so cheap, and that the quality was excellent.

The menu is in Mandarin, but most of you can just adjust the subtitle yourself with the remote.

p.e.a.c.e.
-John Book

THE HOME OF BOOK-NESS:

m
Charter member
15756 posts
Sun May-25-03 09:59 AM

22. "better quality?"
In response to Reply # 19

the only difference is dts, right?

i hope the version i bought from herodvd is on one disc...

johnbook
Charter member
65030 posts
Sun May-25-03 10:50 AM

23. "RE: better quality?"
In response to Reply # 22

From what I can tell, yes, it's just DTS, but trust me when I say the quality is excellent.

p.e.a.c.e.
-John Book

THE HOME OF BOOK-NESS:

m
Charter member
15756 posts
Sun May-25-03 02:49 PM

30. "RE: better quality?"
In response to Reply # 23

>From what I can tell, yes, it's just DTS, but trust me when
>I say the quality is excellent.

herodvd said the video quality was better too... so for $3 more, i couldn't help but upgrade (don't have dts, so it doesn't matter to me...)

Hi Matthew,
thanks for your email.
yes, we can offer the DVD-9 version of "hero", too.
it is better in video quality and with DTS that DVD-5 doesn't have.
addition USD 3.00 is for the upgrade of DVD-9.
thanks and best regards,
herodvd

is it just me, or does his email look like a x-wing fighter? lol

johnbook
Charter member
65030 posts
Sun May-25-03 11:12 AM

28. "URL on the "Hero" dilemma"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.monkeypeaches.com/Hero.html

I placed this as link within the review, but check this out, as it analyzes what Miramax has done (and in turn not done) for the film. Also contains links to trailers in various countries.

I'm looking forward to seeing "Purple Butterfly".

p.e.a.c.e.
-John Book

THE HOME OF BOOK-NESS:

m
Charter member
15756 posts
Sun May-25-03 02:47 PM

29. "'herodvd' will upgrade to the dvd9 version for $3"
In response to Reply # 0

just did it myself. contact him through the auction.

enjoy

xangeluvr
Charter member
9014 posts
Sun May-25-03 07:10 PM

38. "DVD versions"
In response to Reply # 0

seems like there are some questions about the different DVD versions out right now. there are actually 4 versions i believe. the DVD5, DVD9, DVD9 collector, and R3 DVD9 collectors edition. i owned the first release of the movie on DVD5 and loved it. great quality anamorphic video and sound. when the DVD9 version came out i picked it up right away. clearer video and of course DTS sound were top notch. i didn't need the extra film stills so i didn't get the collectors edition. another edition came out like a month later which was only region 3 and i wouldn't be able to play it.

anyway, if i were looking to pick up the movie i would get DVD9 version which can be had for under 10 bucks on ebay. here's a link ---> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3328368367&category=617

GamerTag and PSN: PokeEmAll

m
Charter member
15756 posts
Mon May-26-03 04:57 PM

44. "RE: DVD versions"
In response to Reply # 38

>anyway, if i were looking to pick up the movie i would get DVD9 version which can be had for under 10 bucks on ebay.

>here's a link ---> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3328368367&category=617

and if you want to feel safe and order from the person johnbook got his from, you can upgrade to the dvd9 version (which is what i did) for only $3 more.

johnbook
Charter member
65030 posts
Mon May-26-03 09:02 PM

46. "RE: DVD versions"
In response to Reply # 44

>and if you want to feel safe and order from the person
>johnbook got his from, you can upgrade to the dvd9 version
>(which is what i did) for only $3 more.

When doing a search for "Hero DVD" on eBay, make sure the seller is "herodvd". This was the first time I had bought from this seller, and apart from fast service, he answered some questions on some other DVD's I wanted to check out.

p.e.a.c.e.
-John Book

THE HOME OF BOOK-NESS:

m
Charter member
15756 posts
Tue May-27-03 06:47 AM

51. "current auctions by herodvd."
In response to Reply # 46

>make sure the seller is "herodvd". This was the first time I had bought
>from this seller, and apart from fast service, he answered some questions on some other DVD's I wanted to check out.

what i recommend (what i ended up) doing is buying the $2.95 version, and emailing him privately (his name is dennis) and asking to upgrade for $3 to the dvd9 version.

johnbook
Charter member
65030 posts
Tue May-27-03 08:39 AM

53. "RE: current auctions by herodvd."
In response to Reply # 51

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?viewSellersOtherItems&userid=herodvd

I plan to get "All About Lily Chou Chou" from him when my PayPal account rises again.

p.e.a.c.e.
-John Book

THE HOME OF BOOK-NESS:

xangeluvr
Charter member
9014 posts
Tue May-27-03 11:48 AM

54. "i wonder..."
In response to Reply # 53

i wonder if he's the same guy that i ordered from months ago. i cant remember but the seller was really great to do business with. he answered all my questions and kept me updated on the whole transaction.

GamerTag and PSN: PokeEmAll

m
Charter member
15756 posts
Tue May-27-03 12:33 PM

55. "RE: i wonder..."
In response to Reply # 54

>i wonder if he's the same guy that i ordered from months ago. i cant remember but the seller was really great to do
>business with. he answered all my questions and kept me updated on the whole transaction.

sounds like him... as soon as i found out there was a dvd9 version on this thread (about 20 minutes after i'd paid bid & paid for the 'buy it now' auction), i emailed him and asked if it was possible to upgrade... within minutes, he replied with an answer and how to do it... i sent another $3 via paypal, and received another email thanking me for upgrading

imagine how huge ebay would be (not that they aren't already, but just imagine) if all sellers were like that...

sosa
Charter member
9375 posts
Tue May-27-03 01:14 PM

56. "RE: Quick question"
In response to Reply # 55
Tue May-27-03 01:15 PM

What's the difference between DVD5 and DVD9? Can they be playable in all dvd players and is it really worth getting the dvd9.

johnbook
Charter member
65030 posts
Tue May-27-03 01:31 PM

57. "RE: Quick question"
In response to Reply # 56

>What's the difference between DVD5 and DVD9? Can they be
>playable in all dvd players and is it really worth getting
>the dvd9.

DVD5 means the DVD has a capacity of just under 5gb. DVD9 means it's around 9gb. Generally, the more room the DVD it has, the more space it has to add more features, such as other audio tracks (like DTS) or a slight boost in quality in video.

I will say that I got the basic version, which would be the DVD5, and it looks far better than some of the Hong Kong movies released in the U.S., where you can see the pixels.

p.e.a.c.e.
-John Book

THE HOME OF BOOK-NESS:

soul creator
Member since Jul 06th 2002
10339 posts
Sat May-31-03 11:55 AM

58. "i got my copy today"
In response to Reply # 0

from the herodvd guy...won the auction on the 25th and it arrived via airmail today. I was worried for a sec because one of the intro screens' (with some company logo or whatever) quality looked straight out the 80's...but once i got to the menu screen everything was cool. Only watched the intro fight scene (holy shit) and everything seemed fine as far as video and audio quality.

--
"Niggas will trade in they dick for some Madden." - co-worker at gamestop

--
Rappity Rap: http://www.soulcreator.com/

m
Charter member
15756 posts
Sat May-31-03 01:15 PM

59. "cool..."
In response to Reply # 58

that means a few of us should get our's on monday...

and that means, i can watch it maybe in november hahah...

johnbook
Charter member
65030 posts
Sat May-31-03 05:42 PM

60. "RE: i got my copy today"
In response to Reply # 58

>from the herodvd guy...won the auction on the 25th and it
>arrived via airmail today. I was worried for a sec because
>one of the intro screens' (with some company logo or
>whatever) quality looked straight out the 80's...

That's what I thought too, the old Ocean Shores logo. I thought oh no, did they actually get this off of a tape. But it's just the intro.

p.e.a.c.e.
-John Book

THE HOME OF BOOK-NESS:

Riadbec
Charter member
521 posts
Mon Jun-02-03 06:57 AM

61. "I just got it in the mail from herodvd..."
In response to Reply # 0

I can't watch it yet because I'm on my way to work but I'll definitely post my thoughts when I see it later on. Herodvd ships really fast. I paid for it last Wednesday night and I got it today. Good lookin' out johnbook and m.

~~~Ok, back to lurking...

m
Charter member
15756 posts
Mon Jun-02-03 07:37 AM

62. "i just posted direct links & stuff..."
In response to Reply # 61

>Good lookin' out johnbook and m.

little to do with me... it's all john...

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Mon Jun-02-03 07:39 AM

63. "got mine on Saturday"
In response to Reply # 0

haven't watched it yet, though...

i got my Cyberhome, too. seems to be working pretty well, except that it's refused to play one of my Region 0 Japanese DVDs, which is heartbreaking. i'm gonna try to get another one...

johnbook
Charter member
65030 posts
Mon Jun-02-03 08:14 AM

64. "Cyberhome"
In response to Reply # 63

Let me know how the Cyberhome plays. I've been going to that nerd forum I was told to go to, definitely some essential reading for anyone interested in getting a region free player.

p.e.a.c.e.
-John Book

THE HOME OF BOOK-NESS:

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Tue Jun-03-03 01:18 AM

72. "so far it's working fine"
In response to Reply # 64

just one DVD refuses to play on it, and that is rather pissing me off...

m
Charter member
15756 posts
Mon Jun-02-03 09:00 AM

65. "bump"
In response to Reply # 0

m
Charter member
15756 posts
Mon Jun-02-03 11:00 AM

66. "got the dvd9 version today..."
In response to Reply # 0

damn he's fast.

remember to leave him positive feedback people...

m
Charter member
15756 posts
Mon Jun-02-03 02:48 PM

67. "note about dvd9 version..."
In response to Reply # 66

although it says region 3 on the back, it IS region 0.

i'm watching it now (on a region 1 only dvd player...)

dennis (herodvd) confirmed this...

just thought i'd let you know before you panic like i did

johnbook
Charter member
65030 posts
Mon Jun-02-03 04:19 PM

68. "RE: note about dvd9 version..."
In response to Reply # 67

I had mentioned that in my review, in case anyone wondered about that. It would be nice if some of the recent Shaw Brothers releases were region free too but maybe that's why I should get a region free player.

p.e.a.c.e.
-John Book

THE HOME OF BOOK-NESS:

m
Charter member
15756 posts
Mon Jun-02-03 07:46 PM

69. "thank you so much john."
In response to Reply # 0

if it wasn't for this thread, i probably would've missed this dvd... maybe completely.

it's one of the best movies i've ever seen...

the dvd9 version is incredible... i imagine the dvd5 version is just fine...

i can't believe there wasn't word of mouth about this movie like there was with "crouching tiger..."
i enjoyed "hero" so much more (and that's saying A LOT.)

it's use of colors is the best i've seen since "do the right thing."

was this up for any oscars last year, or will it be eligible this year? i just don't understand why i didn't hear much about this until i stumbled across your thread...

thank you again

johnbook
Charter member
65030 posts
Mon Jun-02-03 08:22 PM

71. "You're welcome"
In response to Reply # 69

>i can't believe there wasn't word of mouth about this movie
>like there was with "crouching tiger..."
>i enjoyed "hero" so much more (and that's saying A LOT.)

I felt the same way. I love "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon", but "Hero" was just on a much higher level.

>was this up for any oscars last year, or will it be eligible
>this year? i just don't understand why i didn't hear much
>about this until i stumbled across your thread...

One reason it didn't get much of a buzz is partially due to Miramax, who according to some reports wanted to bring more attention to "Chicago" than another damn Chinese movie. Some might say that Miramax prevented it from being nominated, but it got in, and that put the film company in a panic. How does a film get in the Oscars with absolutely no hype? That caused a lot of attention. There is now a grass roots effort to make sure this movie gets seen, and I didn't know that until *AFTER* I had seen the film. Click to the for a look at the coverage of the film. Since starting this thread based on my review, the site has placed a link to my original review, so in a small way I'm part of the "movement" too. It moved me, and I want everybody to see it.

p.e.a.c.e.
-John Book

THE HOME OF BOOK-NESS:

m
Charter member
15756 posts
Mon Jun-02-03 08:04 PM

70. "MAJOR SPOILER *the end text* MAJOR SPOILER"
In response to Reply # 0

PLEASE DO NOT READ THIS UNTIL AFTER YOU'VE SEEN THE FILM. thanks

End Text (in mandarin only... no u.s. subtitles...)

Nameless was executed an assassin
but buried a hero...

Sky gave up his sword
in honor of his fallen friends...

In 221 B.C., the King of Qin conquered
all six kingdoms and unified China.

He ceased all expeditions and built the Great Wall
to protect his subjects from the Northern Tribes.

The Qin Empire became the first dynasty of China...

shockzilla
Charter member
37800 posts
Sun Jun-08-03 04:38 PM

73. "what are"
In response to Reply # 70

U.S. subtitles?

strangely enough, though, the version i watched had the subtitles intact

now i just want to see the full-length version

m
Charter member
15756 posts
Sun Jun-08-03 04:56 PM

74. "RE: what are"
In response to Reply # 73

>U.S. subtitles?

english

>strangely enough, though, the version i watched had the subtitles intact

they didn't on mine...

>now i just want to see the full-length version

so do i... from what i've read it's just more of an exploration of zhing's character...

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Sun Jun-08-03 05:36 PM

75. "What was wrong with your subtitles?"
In response to Reply # 74

On mine they did an admirable job overall, usually when you get english dub's before localization they are all in engrish. Save for the missing end text and the intro text(wtf, couldn't spend another 2 minutes translating?), I thought they did an excellent job

m
Charter member
15756 posts
Sun Jun-08-03 05:51 PM

76. "RE: What was wrong with your subtitles?"
In response to Reply # 75

>Save for the missing end text and the intro text

that's it... and both were crucial to the story.

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Sun Jun-08-03 05:56 PM

77. "Yup, I agree"
In response to Reply # 76

I don't understand how they dropped the ball on that. Save for actually translating the menu's in english plus throwing in the generic extras(commentary, trailers), its pretty much ready for a stateside release. But missing those subtitles was a big no no.

johnbook
Charter member
65030 posts
Sun Jun-08-03 07:50 PM

80. "awaiting the deluxe edition"
In response to Reply # 77

I'm looking forward to seeing the uncut version of this film, with the extra 25 minutes or so. I would like to see the documentary footage with English subtitles.

If Miramax doesn't release it, it is a big loss for them.

p.e.a.c.e.
-John Book

THE HOME OF BOOK-NESS:

m
Charter member
15756 posts
Mon Jun-09-03 04:21 AM

81. "RE: awaiting the deluxe edition"
In response to Reply # 80

>If Miramax doesn't release it, it is a big loss for them.

and us, unfortunately...

Foot Soldier
Member since Apr 30th 2003
32 posts
Sun Jun-08-03 07:42 PM

78. "RE: Hero (Jet Li, Maggie Cheung) DVD review"
In response to Reply # 0

this was a beautiful film. thanks for the recommendation. the scene of the qin archers alone was worth the 11 bucks.

for some reason the movie's use of color reminded me of "what dreams may come"... i have no idea why cause i don't really remember anything about "what dreams may come" except that it used colors in a cool way. that probably makes no sense.

but yeah, just wanted to say thanks.

johnbook
Charter member
65030 posts
Sun Jun-08-03 07:48 PM

79. "you're welcome"
In response to Reply # 78

p.e.a.c.e.
-John Book

THE HOME OF BOOK-NESS:

Lobby Pass The Popcorn Pass The Popcorn Archives topic #8713 Previous topic | Next topic