Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn Pass The Popcorn Archives topic #1839

Subject: "Metallica: Some Kind Of Monster (review **SPOILERS**)" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
johnbook
Charter member
65030 posts
Mon Sep-20-04 10:00 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Metallica: Some Kind Of Monster (review **SPOILERS**)"
Mon Sep-20-04 07:23 PM

I do realize this has been out for months, but unlike Janey and those in other big cities who do have the great luxury of seeing documentaries and foreign films on a timely manner, I don't. But "Some Kind Of Monster" opened here on Friday and I went to see it last night.

I am a Metallica fan, or I should say I was a major fan between 1986-1991, and after that I felt their music was watered down. That doesn't take away from the impact they made in music, and in my teenage years. This documentary film is about the band going through therapy after they booted bassist Jason Newsted out of the band. I talked about this in my blog, but this is on the level of "Let It Be" or "I Am Only Trying To Break Your Heart" in terms of seeing the members of a band go through the motion and almost coming to blows. This could have lead to the break-up of one of the greatest bands of the last 20 years, but through a lot of open discussion, they were able to see things through.

One of the most revealing moments happened to be a meeting between drummer Lars Ulrich and Megadeth guitarist Dave Mustaine, he being one of the original members of Metallica before they were signed. Mustaine goes on to say that he hates the fact that he will always be considered "second place", and it's one of those moments that the fan experiences in any fashion. Music myths are legendary, the stuff you hear or read about, but never get to see. For the first time, you get to see and hear Mustaine tell Ulrich, more or less, fuck you for doing something that has given me frustration for the last 20 years.

You also get a chance to see each member of the band in humbled settings: James Hetfield attending his daughters ballet class, Kirk Hammett on his ranch riding a horse or him surfing (he was taught by his now-wife, who is originally from Hawai'i), and Lars Ulrich knowing and respecting his wealth by being a bit "cultured". This isn't the Metallica you've read about in Rip, or seen on tour, or watched on MTV, it's three separate individuals who are in this for the love of music, but finding that egos can tear things apart. The therapy sessions eventually result in what would become the ST. ANGER album, but this is less a documentary about the making of a record, and more about a group of guys who have been together for 20 years, and coping with the realities of life outside of music and growing up. They are open about how they don't like what's going on in music, and how they do not want to follow the trends simply to fit in. Metallica were once a band that, outside of college radio, didn't get massive airplay until the early 1990's. Now I'll turn on the radio and hear Metallica Midnights.

As a fan of the group, but also someone who sees more than just "THE ROCK BAND", it was great to see a human side that a lot of bands rarely show. James Hetfield talked about how he hates having to have the "Metallica" umbrella above him 24 hours a day, and how going away from the group for over a year forced him to look at himself a bit deeper. For any of us who were fans, we knew Hetfield as the raging alcoholic with a deep love for vodka. The therapy sessions in the film were meant to be between Hetfield, Ulrich, and Hammett, but when Hetfield goes away for detox, it puts fear in Ulrich and Hammett when the detox period stretches to a longer period of time. They both fear that maybe they could be seeing the end of the group.

A few hours before I watched this film, I feared that this would have turned into some wack ass MTV/VH-1 type of Behind The Music documentary, but this is far from the case. I am sure there's a lot of good things we didn't get to see, but the fact that they allowed a crew to film them, and that they allowed so much to be put into the film, is a testament to the group itself. Moreso, it pops the bubble on what Metallica means as an "entertainment entity", and shows that they are three guys with a friendship that involves stress, tension, and occasionally bursts of happiness.

Throughout the film, you get to see hints of what their career has given them: Hammett's ranch, Lars' home with his art collection, and Hetfield and his love of cars. You also get to hear the fact that they paid their therapist $40,000 a month, and the therapy sessions went on for almost two years. Eventually MTV calls their management and tells them that they want to give Metallica "ICON" status. With months of therapy and sessions, they hadn't found a bass player. They go through auditions and find a number of well known bassists in the metal field, including those from Kyuss, Marilyn Manson, and Corrosion Of Conformity, until they come across Robert Trujillo (Ozzy/Suicidal Tendencies/Infectious Grooves). When he plays with the band, they ask him what he wants to play and Trujillo says "Battery", from their 1986 album MASTER OF PUPPETS. They look at him and go "you want to play that fast?" They cut into the song, and Trujillo knows the song inside and out. Afterwards, the guys in the band say that they haven't played like that since Cliff Burton died (Burton was their original bassist who died in 1986 when their tour bus in Europe turned over, and he died inside from the impact). They call him back and say "here's a million dollars, and this is just an advance for you being in the band." They then cut to Trujillo's apartment, and him practicing in his little bed in his little bedroom, and how this will become a big opportunity for him. It's basically seeing a dream come to life, and you can't feel anything but happy for the guy.

Then you see the scenes from Jason Newsted and you can't feel anything but a mixture of pride and sadness. He is devoted to his music, but also states that he gave up wanting to raise a family and having children, as he wants his music to be his babies. His ultimate joy is from his music, and any of us who loves music understands that to a degree. But as one gets older, we all realize that music may be a driving force, but it isn't the only thing in life to aspire to. Producer Bob Rock, who has worked with the band for the last 15 years, eventually says that Newsted was nothing more than "a replacement bassist, not really a member of the band", and considering that the band became mainstream darlings after the death of Cliff Burton, he himself questions if his presence in the band meant anything to them.

"Some King Of Monster" isn't just a bunch of soundbites edited together for clarity, you get a chance to see and hear the individuals that make up the group that is Metallica. They all realize that they have been very fortunate, and throughout the film they realize that the immortality that the media has created is bullshit, that by the end of the day, what was important to them was the friendships that made them form the group in the first place.

All music groups have their own brand of hype, Metallica was one of many who were praised as the next movement of heavy metal, and I think many, especially after the Napster incident, felt that they thought their shit didn't stink. Yet reverse the situation and ask yourself what you would do. It's music, it's business, it's friendships, and as their therapist told them, "sometimes going into your fears instead of avoiding them will allow you to find the genius within."

Excellent film.

p.e.a.c.e.
-
---------
John Book presents UNLOCKED: show #18 coming September 25, 2004
---------
"The Run-Off Groove", column #20 @
---------
: downloading and trading live shows responsibly
---------
(NOT work friendly)
=========
"them shits are all hair baby" - gypsyojos

THE HOME OF BOOK-NESS:
http://thisisbooksmusic.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/thisisjohnbook
http://www.facebook.com/book1

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
the thing that really gets me about this film
Sep 20th 2004
I actually thought of you as I watched this
Sep 20th 2004
Sep 20th 2004
           three films
Sep 20th 2004
                That's exactly the kind of thing
Sep 20th 2004
                     exactly
Sep 20th 2004
Great review John
Sep 20th 2004
nice review...
Sep 20th 2004
sorry, obviously I haven't bought the new album
Sep 20th 2004
when I saw the film
Sep 20th 2004
another small correction...
Sep 20th 2004
      damn, it's been awhile
Sep 20th 2004
           have you heard of this metal band...
Sep 20th 2004
                yes, I interviewed them in 1987
Sep 20th 2004
                     sweet
Sep 20th 2004
                          I used to have a healthy amount of metal albums...
Sep 20th 2004
Interview with the director
Sep 20th 2004
damn, I wish I could listen
Sep 20th 2004
the directors
Sep 21st 2004
and you know
Sep 22nd 2004
in his interview
Sep 23rd 2004
Morons - no. Genuises - um . . .
stylez_dainty
Sep 22nd 2004

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Mon Sep-20-04 10:08 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "the thing that really gets me about this film"
In response to Reply # 0

is how completely engaging it was even for someone like me, who neither knows nor likes/appreciates the Metallica ouevre.

That's documentary filmmaking, y'know?

~ ~ ~
All meetings end in separation
All acquisition ends in dispersion
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

Every hundred years, all new people

johnbook
Charter member
65030 posts
Mon Sep-20-04 10:13 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "I actually thought of you as I watched this"
In response to Reply # 1

I thought "okay, this is the third film I've seen this year and you have seen what, close to 200?" I love music, so I will see a movie like this by default. But you've talked about a lot of films I would like to see, whether it's because I'm a fan or have interest, or just to be able to know of a topic I wasn't aware of. I would like to go to a film festival and enjoy a lot of it. There are loads of great films at the Hawai'i International Film Festival, including a lot of Pacific Rim productions, and... maybe one day I'll head back and attend.

p.e.a.c.e.
-
---------
---------
---------
---------
(NOT work friendly)
=========

THE HOME OF BOOK-NESS:

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Mon Sep-20-04 10:15 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "116"
In response to Reply # 2

but this one will probably be in my top 10 this year so I'm glad you're choosing wisely.

My mother and grandmother always used to let me read whatever crap I wanted to because I read so much and they realized that no matter what I read, its influence would be diluted by all the other input. They used to say that you had to monitor the reading of the child who reads very little, but not the one who reads too much.

What were your other two films?

~ ~ ~
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

johnbook
Charter member
65030 posts
Mon Sep-20-04 10:29 AM

4. "three films"
In response to Reply # 3

The only films we generally get here in the Tri-Cities are the mainstream ones. The only ones I've seen this year are:

Fahrenheit 9/11
Yu-Gi-Oh: The Movie (I saw this with my nephew, his request)
Metallica: Some Kind Of Monster

Low funds have made it impossible for me to drive to Seattle to see a film on a weekly basis, although I have been doing some things on the side to make a move to Seattle a reality. We do have a small film community here, but when someone organized a local film festival, but it lasted only two years. It was a success, but the theater didn't want to deal with bringing "specialty films". I still would like to see "The Lost Boys Of Sudan", and some of the political docs that came after "Fahrenheit 9/11", I missed. The Tri-Cities is small market, so theaters will only cater to mainstream tastes.

p.e.a.c.e.
-
---------
---------
---------
---------
(NOT work friendly)
=========

THE HOME OF BOOK-NESS:

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Mon Sep-20-04 11:48 AM

5. "That's exactly the kind of thing"
In response to Reply # 4

that would make me buy a dvd player.

~ ~ ~
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

johnbook
Charter member
65030 posts
Mon Sep-20-04 02:16 PM

8. "exactly"
In response to Reply # 5

If I had my way, my collection would be as diverse as M's, as far as what movies I've wanted to see.

p.e.a.c.e.
-
---------
---------
---------
---------
(NOT work friendly)
=========

THE HOME OF BOOK-NESS:

Bo_De_Ga
Charter member
2315 posts
Mon Sep-20-04 01:44 PM

6. "Great review John"
In response to Reply # 0

n/m

biscuit
Charter member
8682 posts
Mon Sep-20-04 01:56 PM

7. "nice review..."
In response to Reply # 0

one correction. Robert, not Randy Trujillo.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

*Effasig*

johnbook
Charter member
65030 posts
Mon Sep-20-04 02:17 PM

9. "sorry, obviously I haven't bought the new album"
In response to Reply # 7

I'll change it now.

p.e.a.c.e.
-
---------
---------
---------
---------
(NOT work friendly)
=========

THE HOME OF BOOK-NESS:

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Mon Sep-20-04 02:18 PM

10. "when I saw the film"
In response to Reply # 9

the VERY first time we see him on screen I was like, oh, pick him! I loved how unassuming he was and how earnest. And that scene that you mentioned with him in his little bedroom with his entire world having changed was really on point.

~ ~ ~
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

way2saucee
Charter member
2349 posts
Mon Sep-20-04 07:18 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "another small correction..."
In response to Reply # 7

Cliff died in 1986.

Great review John, I too was a big metallica fan, first heard of them when "one" came out, proceeded to buy every album before that. I loved this band, and until Load came out, they could do no wrong.

My favorite part of the film has got to be when Mustaine was talking to Lars. It was so brutally honest, the stuff he said during that session would never have come out in a rock mag interview or such. An interesting take I got from it was how much of an ass Hetfield and Ulrich could be... and my all time fav quote from the movie was when Hetfield makes that comment on how he feels that he's not getting any input with the band, and Kirk says something to the effect of "now you know how I've felt for the last 15 years!"

Roll on you Bears

scientific but my reflex's gangsta

roll on you Bears....

johnbook
Charter member
65030 posts
Mon Sep-20-04 07:24 PM

14. "damn, it's been awhile"
In response to Reply # 13

And I was the "heavy metal expert" for the All Music Guide when they started out. Need to sharpen up on my facts again.

It has been corrected.

p.e.a.c.e.
-
---------
"The Run-Off Groove", column #21 @
---------
---------
(NOT work friendly)
=========

THE HOME OF BOOK-NESS:

way2saucee
Charter member
2349 posts
Mon Sep-20-04 07:30 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
15. "have you heard of this metal band..."
In response to Reply # 14

Death Angel?

Roll on you Bears

roll on you Bears....

johnbook
Charter member
65030 posts
Mon Sep-20-04 07:52 PM

16. "yes, I interviewed them in 1987"
In response to Reply # 15

THE ULTRA VIOLENCE was one of my favorite albums, and i would play the title track a lot (that would be my cue to go to the restroom). I didn't like the second album too much, but maybe now I would, but I really liked ACT III.

I hear they recently reunited, as I saw a few shows circulating at Sharing The Groove. Somewhere in storage, I have an autographed photo, with signatures from each of them.

p.e.a.c.e.
-
---------
---------
---------
(NOT work friendly)
=========

THE HOME OF BOOK-NESS:

way2saucee
Charter member
2349 posts
Mon Sep-20-04 08:07 PM

17. "sweet"
In response to Reply # 16

I got a chance to see them live twice over the past two years, and they are great live, specially the drummer... he's one of the best drummers imo. They are local cats (I'm from the bay area, CA) and a friend of a friend is the new guitarist (4 of the 5 original members are in the reunited DA). They came out with a new album, but I haven't heard it. Yea, Ultra Violence is a top 5 metal album in my eyes, I actually loved the second album, but don't like it as much nowadays. Act III is also a great album.

Roll on you Bears

roll on you Bears....

johnbook
Charter member
65030 posts
Mon Sep-20-04 08:32 PM

18. "I used to have a healthy amount of metal albums..."
In response to Reply # 17

...especially thrash, speed, black, death metal from the mid-80's. Possessed, Exodus, VoiVod, Venom, Slayer, Bloodcum, Testament, if it was ugly I had it. Death Angel is one of the few albums I still have left, as I sold a lot of it over the years.

But I agree, their first album is one that can't be touched.

p.e.a.c.e.
-
---------
---------
---------
(NOT work friendly)
=========

THE HOME OF BOOK-NESS:

PolarbearToenails
Charter member
11197 posts
Mon Sep-20-04 06:35 PM

11. "Interview with the director"
In response to Reply # 0

On my show...

http://www.splangy.com/realaudio/joeberlinger.ram

(I should say one of the directors)

-
Bullseye with Jesse Thorn
A public radio show about things that are awesome.
http://www.maximumfun.org
"This is the kind of show people listen to in a more perfect world." - McSweeney's

johnbook
Charter member
65030 posts
Mon Sep-20-04 07:00 PM

12. "damn, I wish I could listen"
In response to Reply # 11

Unfortunately, my computer no longer plays Real audio or video.

p.e.a.c.e.
-
---------
---------
---------
(NOT work friendly)
=========

THE HOME OF BOOK-NESS:

DrNO
Charter member
25381 posts
Tue Sep-21-04 05:13 PM

19. "the directors"
In response to Reply # 0

don't even like Metallica's music and they expected the band to be morons when they first met them.

_
http://youtube.com/watch?v=4TztqYaemt0
http://preptimeposse.blogspot.com/

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Wed Sep-22-04 07:52 AM

20. "and you know"
In response to Reply # 19

one of the directors did Blair Witch 2

henh henh

talk about morons, eh?

~ ~ ~
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

DrNO
Charter member
25381 posts
Thu Sep-23-04 05:54 PM

22. "in his interview"
In response to Reply # 20

with elvis mitchell he talks about it. he actually was going to have his name removed but his agent told him he shouldn't. Apparently it was butchered by the studio and he got incredibly depressed and didn't work for years as a result. Then he decided to start out slow again by making a short promo for metallica...

_
http://youtube.com/watch?v=4TztqYaemt0
http://preptimeposse.blogspot.com/

stylez_dainty

Wed Sep-22-04 08:00 AM

21. "Morons - no. Genuises - um . . ."
In response to Reply # 19

I thought the film was good because it showed them to be pretty normal, vulnerable people. But was I the only one laughing when they were writing lyrics- it was exactly how I always imagined those sort of lyrics were written. Kind of a Spinal Tap moment for me.

"What if I said 'I am drowning in . . . your river of pain . . . demons are clawing at my brain?"

"Yeah, man, that's deep."

(I know this isn't an actual lyric, but I think its a pretty close representation.)

Lobby Pass The Popcorn Pass The Popcorn Archives topic #1839 Previous topic | Next topic