Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn Pass The Popcorn Archives topic #15937

Subject: "The Spook who Sat by the Door" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
birdman9
Charter member
697 posts
Mon Mar-25-02 06:55 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The Spook who Sat by the Door"

Just got this film(and now reading the novel on which it is based by Sam Greenlee) and just wondering if any other Okayplayers had any reactions if you've seen it. I was staggered at what a subversive film this was and a friend of mine(who knew him in the 70s) told me that "Spook" effectively ended Ivan Dixon's Hollywood career and cost him a lot politically. And given the political climate today, could you even THINK about getting a project off the ground where the hero was a former CIA token black agent who starts his own Underground Black Nationalist Army to "fuck with Whitey"?!

http://www.stores.ebay.com/emergencywardrecordsandbeyond

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Banned by the government
Mar 25th 2002
RE: Banned by the government
Mar 25th 2002
Check on the web
Mar 25th 2002
I rented it from...
Mar 25th 2002
rented it at ...
Mar 26th 2002
      the book was dope
Mar 26th 2002
I am intrigued and investigating n/m
Mar 25th 2002
great movie
Mar 25th 2002
Spooky
Mar 25th 2002
RE: Spooky
Mar 25th 2002
      Collin Powell
Mar 25th 2002
           Damn
Mar 25th 2002
                RE: Damn
Mar 25th 2002
RE: The Spook who Sat by the Door
Mar 25th 2002
RE: Now thats gangsta
Mar 25th 2002
good lookin
Mar 25th 2002
Thanks dude
Mar 26th 2002
I'll keep my eye out
Mar 26th 2002
I got that too
Mar 26th 2002
Stop
Mar 26th 2002
      RE: Stop
Mar 27th 2002
           RE: Stop
Mar 27th 2002
Ivan Dixon
Mar 27th 2002
RE: Ivan Dixon
Mar 27th 2002
OH SHIP!
Mar 27th 2002
How did you get a copy ?
Mar 26th 2002
Can I get a dub ?
Mar 26th 2002
who knew there was a movie??
Mar 27th 2002
RE: The Spook who Sat by the Door
Mar 27th 2002
I watched in chicago
Mar 27th 2002

izzattafakt
Charter member
2581 posts
Mon Mar-25-02 07:50 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Banned by the government"
In response to Reply # 0

Unofficially, of course, because the U.S. doesn't censor

I took a class once where we saw this film. I had heard about it but when I actually saw it I was blown away. I got a copy but it was kind hard to come by, I dunno if the distribution has picked up recently...

But when the film first came out the prof. was telling us that it freaked out a lot of people, that the distributor pulled it from theaters after a short time, even though it was doing well at the box office, and that the original master print was mysteriously destroyed in a warehouse fire...hmmm....

Well worth seeing if you can find it, but you'll prolly have to look deeper than Blockbuster...A movie anywhere even CLOSE to that would never get greenlit today by a studio, but I could see an adventurous indie cat doing something like that...If they weren't ever interested in crossing over to do studio work, cause they'd prolly get blacklisted...

peace

Iz

"I am the IZ equals IZ..."
DOVE

"I don't give a fuck who you are / so fuck who you are"
STYLES

"I'm to(o) fly not to(o) fly"
SAUL WILLIAMS

peace

Iz

birdman9
Charter member
697 posts
Mon Mar-25-02 07:59 AM

3. "RE: Banned by the government"
In response to Reply # 1

I scored mine on ebay after passing up bootlegs for years( ifigured i would run into a decent copy eventually). But beware of crappy copies(people sell em as the real deal-even on half.com and ebay). Look for the Video City issue, in the oversize case.
by the way, the book is also great, and obviously goes into greater detail. I highly recommend it! and whatever happened to the soundtrack by Herbie Hancock? I don't think it was ever released!

izzattafakt
Charter member
2581 posts
Mon Mar-25-02 10:11 AM

6. "Check on the web"
In response to Reply # 3

I found my copy by doing a Google search for the title and I ended up at a distributors website...Turns out they had a retail spot here in L.A. so I just swooped by. It was a black video store down on Vermont or Western somwhere near 51st, I don't remember exactly where...But came with the plastic hardcase and all.

peace

Iz

DOVE

STYLES

SAUL WILLIAMS

peace

Iz

TripleX
Charter member
7116 posts
Mon Mar-25-02 02:30 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "I rented it from..."
In response to Reply # 1

the Muslim resturant in my old neighborhood. I don't know of too many copies floating around tho'.

Triple X
"Got more action than GI Joe with a flow"
-

That's me on the song , from the Doctor C album "The Surgeon"..

- Quotes -

"The quickest way to fail is to try to please everyone. Make everyone happy." - Mike Tyson

"Don't ever make yourself responsible for what other people do" - Erykah Badu

"Hate don't count. Hate means nothing" - Trick Daddy

"Said I was a NERD but I ain't a punk" - Pharrell (Neptunes)

http://www.myspace.com/tresequis

Iltigo
Charter member
8609 posts
Tue Mar-26-02 04:16 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
15. "rented it at ..."
In response to Reply # 1

my local blockbuster....

it was in the 70s blaxploiation section. i also live in a black area so all chain stores reflect the area.

but of course the bok was better.

that is all,
return to your homes citizens

fuck a sig
*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&
okay maybe not

currently getting play in this riiide

Vikter Duplaix--DJ Kicks
will i am--Lost Change
Zero 7--Simple Things
Stevie Wonder--Innervisions, Music of My Mind
De La Soul--Bionix

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Tue Mar-26-02 11:58 PM

22. "the book was dope"
In response to Reply # 15

I've never seen the movie.

Thoughtfully yours,

Spirit Equality

If you really loved me, you'd check out http://www.mp3.com/spirit_equality

The love is showing. Apparently, I'm Number 3 on some list at mp3.com (check it --> http://golocal.mp3.com/gir?genre_id=0007&geo_id=10032362
Thanks, folks. Keep downloading away until I get an actual CD you can buy.

If you believe in avant garde music with soul, peep out http://www.miscflux.com

2002: The Underground Strikes Back

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com

Scarface_7
Charter member
10012 posts
Mon Mar-25-02 07:52 AM

2. "I am intrigued and investigating n/m"
In response to Reply # 0

And even tho u say I'm, Killin off your children-
I'm just one nigga hustlin', Tryin ta make a million © Devin

In a way I kinda understood what He doin. He working
through those crackers to get at us His people © Cee-Lo

How can we all sit suspended in space, just spinnin in place
and not be extended in faith? © Scarface

OKP Outkasts Eternal

..._...|..____________________, ,
....../ `---___________----_____|] = = = D @Warwizard

...../_==o;;;;;;;;_______.:/
.....), ---.(_(__) /
....// (..) ), ----"
...//___//
..//___//
.//___//
COTW Afficianado, Dro

Calico
Charter member
24604 posts
Mon Mar-25-02 08:07 AM

4. "great movie"
In response to Reply # 0

...when i was younger,my moms used tell me about it....basically it was the 'ultimate' present for my uncle, and she spent years looking for (and havin me do the same)....i finally saw it, some video store had it.....great movie....i'm not surprised at how it was treated by audiences and hollywood...

"yes, sometimes my rhymes are sexist, but you lovely bitches and hos should know i'm tryin to correct it"- hiphopopotamus

ASTRO
Charter member
1160 posts
Mon Mar-25-02 09:16 AM

5. "Spooky"
In response to Reply # 0

I was just going through my drawer at work and there was my tape (in the original plastic box) and book rubberband together. I let somebody at work borrow both of them.

The movie is a classic. Directed by Ivan Dixon of Hogan Heroes fame. Music by Herbie Hancock.

When I first started reading the book I didn't like it. But as it went on it got better and better. He was really a strong character. I guess what I really liked about the character was how effective he was. He didn't have a plan and fumble it at the end. He just kept going.

birdman9
Charter member
697 posts
Mon Mar-25-02 10:58 AM

7. "RE: Spooky"
In response to Reply # 5

I think one of the main themes of the novel is the idea that hero worship helped to destroy the Civil Rights Movement. And the whole point Freeman made was that no matter what happened to him, no looking back, no stopping, keep fighting no matter what. Don't give up, no matter who they kill. Preparing the cells to carry on after the leaders are long gone. Deep stuff.

mdiddy
Charter member
591 posts
Mon Mar-25-02 11:07 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "Collin Powell"
In response to Reply # 7

needs to see this movie.
this is the movie also were Dead Prez samples some speech on its album Lets Get Free

MrMajor
Charter member
4354 posts
Mon Mar-25-02 11:14 AM

9. "Damn"
In response to Reply # 8

I need to see this movie.

-Shut up dummy
Fred Sanford

mdiddy
Charter member
591 posts
Mon Mar-25-02 12:14 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
10. "RE: Damn"
In response to Reply # 9

check ebay

Roadblock
Charter member
7871 posts
Mon Mar-25-02 07:13 PM

12. "RE: The Spook who Sat by the Door"
In response to Reply # 0

I remember reading the book awhile back - it was ill all the way till the end. I remember the ending was weak.

Your thoughts?

peace

@GetoutTheroom
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
https://twitter.com/Jayric

label_guy
Charter member
768 posts
Mon Mar-25-02 08:31 PM

13. "RE: Now thats gangsta"
In response to Reply # 0

I met Ivan Dixon and gave him his respect for having the guts to make that film back in the day. He was floored that I knew all the details of the film. He told me he usually got approached with Hogan's Heroes comments in the street.

There's another underground hard to find flick y'all got to find: The Black Klansman. Its a black & white film from the '60s about a light skinned black man in LA whose daughter is killed by a klansman's firebomb at a church in his old Mississippi hometown. He straightens his hair and heads down south, passes for white, joins/infiltrates the Klan to get revenge on the Grand Dragon. In the meantime, he gets with the Grand Dragon's daughter. The film's supporting cast includes a younger Whitman "Grady" Mayo and a younger Max "The Mack" Julien. This is a must see.....you won't believe it was shot in the early 60's.

LG
Doing my job since 1991

LG
Mark 11:24
Isaiah 54:17

Roadblock
Charter member
7871 posts
Mon Mar-25-02 08:35 PM

14. "good lookin"
In response to Reply # 13

peace

@GetoutTheroom
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
https://twitter.com/Jayric

Scarface_7
Charter member
10012 posts
Tue Mar-26-02 04:40 AM

16. "Thanks dude"

And even tho u say I'm, Killin off your children-
I'm just one nigga hustlin', Tryin ta make a million © Devin

In a way I kinda understood what He doin. He working
through those crackers to get at us His people © Cee-Lo

How can we all sit suspended in space, just spinnin in place
and not be extended in faith? © Scarface

OKP Outkasts Eternal

..._...|..____________________, ,
....../ `---___________----_____|] = = = D @Warwizard

...../_==o;;;;;;;;_______.:/
.....), ---.(_(__) /
....// (..) ), ----"
...//___//
..//___//
.//___//
COTW Afficianado, Dro

izzattafakt
Charter member
2581 posts
Tue Mar-26-02 07:36 AM

17. "I'll keep my eye out"

that sounds like something I need to see...

peace

Iz

DOVE

STYLES

SAUL WILLIAMS

peace

Iz

SPADE
Charter member
4745 posts
Tue Mar-26-02 03:45 PM

18. "I got that too"

I keep telling ya'll I'm 200 movies deep with my Black exploitation movies.

the Black Klansman also has a small role for Max Julien aka Goldie from the Mack.

mdiddy
Charter member
591 posts
Tue Mar-26-02 05:28 PM

19. "Stop"
In response to Reply # 18

muthfuckas bet stop biddin' against me on ebay!

ASTRO
Charter member
1160 posts
Wed Mar-27-02 04:37 AM

24. "RE: Stop"
In response to Reply # 19

I never got a single one at e-bay. I got mine threw online movie stores, dubbing rentals, buying the easy to find ones sowtown, conventions, and most important trades.

Silky1
Charter member
9763 posts
Wed Mar-27-02 09:13 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IMClick to send message via ICQ
27. "RE: Stop"
In response to Reply # 24

>I never got a single one
>at e-bay. I got
>mine threw online movie stores,
>dubbing rentals, buying the easy
>to find ones sowtown, conventions,
>and most important trades.

Do you still have it ? And if so, can you dub it for me ? I will supply the tape. Hit me back...

Silk.
Later

silk.later

http://soulodyssey.podbean.com/ My new podcast. That's right, i'm baaaaaaacccckkk !!!!!

ASTRO
Charter member
1160 posts
Wed Mar-27-02 04:40 AM

25. "Ivan Dixon"

Did you ever see that episode of I Spy where he almost turned his back on the usa and joined the communist? That was a good episode. I think I saw it on tape.

Also "Nothing But a Man" is fine piece of work by Ivan Dixon. I think that's my favorite Ivan Dixon project.

birdman9
Charter member
697 posts
Wed Mar-27-02 05:27 AM

26. "RE: Ivan Dixon"
In response to Reply # 25

"Nothing but a Man" is one of the finest films I have ever seen. You look at that compared with similarly themed films made since and not much steps to that. Ivan Dixon and Abbey Lincoln are fantastic in that film.

Allah
Charter member
47756 posts
Wed Mar-27-02 05:38 PM

30. "OH SHIP!"

DRE Allah allah@metalab.unc.edu
http://metalab.unc.edu/nge/physical
Physical Science Productions

http://www.facebook.com/divineruler
__gigs__
__stuff__

Silky1
Charter member
9763 posts
Tue Mar-26-02 08:16 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IMClick to send message via ICQ
20. "How did you get a copy ?"
In response to Reply # 0

.....I've been looking for this movie, for a while now.

Silk.
Later

silk.later

http://soulodyssey.podbean.com/ My new podcast. That's right, i'm baaaaaaacccckkk !!!!!

Silky1
Charter member
9763 posts
Tue Mar-26-02 08:23 PM

21. "Can I get a dub ?"
In response to Reply # 20

.....I will gladly supply the tape. Please????

Silk.
Later

silk.later

mareva
Charter member
22494 posts
Wed Mar-27-02 04:02 AM

23. "who knew there was a movie??"
In response to Reply # 0

but i read the book in one sitting. the book is incredible

blessings and favor.

http://members.blackplanet.com/yeldahs/

"americans like war because we're good at it. we aint good at shit else. we can't make a good car, a good vcr. we can't educate our own children. but we'll bomb the shit out of your country, ESPECIALLY if its full of brown people!" ---George Carlin

"I've been scarred and battered...
My hopes the Wind done scattered...
The Snow has frizzed me, The Sun has baked me...Looks like between them, They done tried to make me...Stop LAUGHING, Stop LOVING, Stop LIVING,...
But I dont care, 'CAUSE I'M STILL HERE!!"
~Langston Hughes, 1947

� � � � � �
www.alienatlien.wordpress.com

i got soul.

and i'm super bad.

jelani
Charter member
305 posts
Wed Mar-27-02 05:29 PM

28. "RE: The Spook who Sat by the Door"
In response to Reply # 0

I saw this about 17 years ago when I rented it from a small video shop. Was suprised to find out that the movie and the book was banned from the public. I think alot of our people can get a lot from it. It also showed the social thinking of the time in contrast to the now bling bling generation.

Allah
Charter member
47756 posts
Wed Mar-27-02 05:36 PM

29. "I watched in chicago"
In response to Reply # 0

I had read the book earlier. Alot of the Gods have read
that......
Jailhouse rock y'all.

DRE Allah allah@metalab.unc.edu
http://metalab.unc.edu/nge/physical
Physical Science Productions

http://www.facebook.com/divineruler
__gigs__
__stuff__

Lobby Pass The Popcorn Pass The Popcorn Archives topic #15937 Previous topic | Next topic