Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectThe Spook who Sat by the Door
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=15937
15937, The Spook who Sat by the Door
Posted by birdman9, Mon Mar-25-02 06:55 AM
Just got this film(and now reading the novel on which it is based by Sam Greenlee) and just wondering if any other Okayplayers had any reactions if you've seen it. I was staggered at what a subversive film this was and a friend of mine(who knew him in the 70s) told me that "Spook" effectively ended Ivan Dixon's Hollywood career and cost him a lot politically. And given the political climate today, could you even THINK about getting a project off the ground where the hero was a former CIA token black agent who starts his own Underground Black Nationalist Army to "fuck with Whitey"?!

15938, Banned by the government
Posted by izzattafakt, Mon Mar-25-02 07:50 AM
Unofficially, of course, because the U.S. doesn't censor :-)

I took a class once where we saw this film. I had heard about it but when I actually saw it I was blown away. I got a copy but it was kind hard to come by, I dunno if the distribution has picked up recently...

But when the film first came out the prof. was telling us that it freaked out a lot of people, that the distributor pulled it from theaters after a short time, even though it was doing well at the box office, and that the original master print was mysteriously destroyed in a warehouse fire...hmmm....

Well worth seeing if you can find it, but you'll prolly have to look deeper than Blockbuster...A movie anywhere even CLOSE to that would never get greenlit today by a studio, but I could see an adventurous indie cat doing something like that...If they weren't ever interested in crossing over to do studio work, cause they'd prolly get blacklisted...

peace

Iz

"I am the IZ equals IZ..."
DOVE

"I don't give a fuck who you are / so fuck who you are"
STYLES

"I'm to(o) fly not to(o) fly"
SAUL WILLIAMS
15939, RE: Banned by the government
Posted by birdman9, Mon Mar-25-02 07:59 AM
I scored mine on ebay after passing up bootlegs for years( ifigured i would run into a decent copy eventually). But beware of crappy copies(people sell em as the real deal-even on half.com and ebay). Look for the Video City issue, in the oversize case.
by the way, the book is also great, and obviously goes into greater detail. I highly recommend it! and whatever happened to the soundtrack by Herbie Hancock? I don't think it was ever released!
15940, Check on the web
Posted by izzattafakt, Mon Mar-25-02 10:11 AM
I found my copy by doing a Google search for the title and I ended up at a distributors website...Turns out they had a retail spot here in L.A. so I just swooped by. It was a black video store down on Vermont or Western somwhere near 51st, I don't remember exactly where...But came with the plastic hardcase and all.

peace

Iz

DOVE

STYLES

SAUL WILLIAMS
15941, I rented it from...
Posted by TripleX, Mon Mar-25-02 02:30 PM
the Muslim resturant in my old neighborhood. I don't know of too many copies floating around tho'.

Triple X
"Got more action than GI Joe with a flow"
-

That's me on the song , from the Doctor C album "The Surgeon"..

- Quotes -

"The quickest way to fail is to try to please everyone. Make everyone happy." - Mike Tyson

"Don't ever make yourself responsible for what other people do" - Erykah Badu

"Hate don't count. Hate means nothing" - Trick Daddy

"Said I was a NERD but I ain't a punk" - Pharrell (Neptunes)
15942, rented it at ...
Posted by Iltigo, Tue Mar-26-02 04:16 AM
my local blockbuster....

it was in the 70s blaxploiation section. i also live in a black area so all chain stores reflect the area.

but of course the bok was better.

that is all,
return to your homes citizens

fuck a sig
*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&
okay maybe not

currently getting play in this riiide

Vikter Duplaix--DJ Kicks
will i am--Lost Change
Zero 7--Simple Things
Stevie Wonder--Innervisions, Music of My Mind
De La Soul--Bionix
15943, the book was dope
Posted by spirit, Tue Mar-26-02 11:58 PM
I've never seen the movie.

Thoughtfully yours,

Spirit Equality

If you really loved me, you'd check out http://www.mp3.com/spirit_equality

The love is showing. Apparently, I'm Number 3 on some list at mp3.com (check it --> http://golocal.mp3.com/gir?genre_id=0007&geo_id=10032362
Thanks, folks. Keep downloading away until I get an actual CD you can buy.

If you believe in avant garde music with soul, peep out http://www.miscflux.com

2002: The Underground Strikes Back

15944, I am intrigued and investigating n/m
Posted by Scarface_7, Mon Mar-25-02 07:52 AM
And even tho u say I'm, Killin off your children-
I'm just one nigga hustlin', Tryin ta make a million © Devin

In a way I kinda understood what He doin. He working
through those crackers to get at us His people © Cee-Lo

How can we all sit suspended in space, just spinnin in place
and not be extended in faith? © Scarface

OKP Outkasts Eternal

15945, great movie
Posted by Calico, Mon Mar-25-02 08:07 AM
...when i was younger,my moms used tell me about it....basically it was the 'ultimate' present for my uncle, and she spent years looking for (and havin me do the same)....i finally saw it, some video store had it.....great movie....i'm not surprised at how it was treated by audiences and hollywood...
15946, Spooky
Posted by ASTRO, Mon Mar-25-02 09:16 AM
I was just going through my drawer at work and there was my tape (in the original plastic box) and book rubberband together. I let somebody at work borrow both of them.

The movie is a classic. Directed by Ivan Dixon of Hogan Heroes fame. Music by Herbie Hancock.

When I first started reading the book I didn't like it. But as it went on it got better and better. He was really a strong character. I guess what I really liked about the character was how effective he was. He didn't have a plan and fumble it at the end. He just kept going.
15947, RE: Spooky
Posted by birdman9, Mon Mar-25-02 10:58 AM
I think one of the main themes of the novel is the idea that hero worship helped to destroy the Civil Rights Movement. And the whole point Freeman made was that no matter what happened to him, no looking back, no stopping, keep fighting no matter what. Don't give up, no matter who they kill. Preparing the cells to carry on after the leaders are long gone. Deep stuff.
15948, Collin Powell
Posted by mdiddy, Mon Mar-25-02 11:07 AM
needs to see this movie.
this is the movie also were Dead Prez samples some speech on its album Lets Get Free
15949, Damn
Posted by MrMajor, Mon Mar-25-02 11:14 AM
I need to see this movie.

-Shut up dummy
Fred Sanford
15950, RE: Damn
Posted by mdiddy, Mon Mar-25-02 12:14 PM
check ebay
15951, RE: The Spook who Sat by the Door
Posted by Roadblock, Mon Mar-25-02 07:13 PM
I remember reading the book awhile back - it was ill all the way till the end. I remember the ending was weak.

Your thoughts?

peace
15952, RE: Now thats gangsta
Posted by label_guy, Mon Mar-25-02 08:31 PM
I met Ivan Dixon and gave him his respect for having the guts to make that film back in the day. He was floored that I knew all the details of the film. He told me he usually got approached with Hogan's Heroes comments in the street.

There's another underground hard to find flick y'all got to find: The Black Klansman. Its a black & white film from the '60s about a light skinned black man in LA whose daughter is killed by a klansman's firebomb at a church in his old Mississippi hometown. He straightens his hair and heads down south, passes for white, joins/infiltrates the Klan to get revenge on the Grand Dragon. In the meantime, he gets with the Grand Dragon's daughter. The film's supporting cast includes a younger Whitman "Grady" Mayo and a younger Max "The Mack" Julien. This is a must see.....you won't believe it was shot in the early 60's.

LG
Doing my job since 1991
15953, good lookin
Posted by Roadblock, Mon Mar-25-02 08:35 PM
peace
15954, Thanks dude
Posted by Scarface_7, Tue Mar-26-02 04:40 AM
And even tho u say I'm, Killin off your children-
I'm just one nigga hustlin', Tryin ta make a million © Devin

In a way I kinda understood what He doin. He working
through those crackers to get at us His people © Cee-Lo

How can we all sit suspended in space, just spinnin in place
and not be extended in faith? © Scarface

OKP Outkasts Eternal

15955, I'll keep my eye out
Posted by izzattafakt, Tue Mar-26-02 07:36 AM
that sounds like something I need to see...

peace

Iz

DOVE

STYLES

SAUL WILLIAMS
15956, I got that too
Posted by SPADE, Tue Mar-26-02 03:45 PM
I keep telling ya'll I'm 200 movies deep with my Black exploitation movies.

the Black Klansman also has a small role for Max Julien aka Goldie from the Mack.
15957, Stop
Posted by mdiddy, Tue Mar-26-02 05:28 PM
muthfuckas bet stop biddin' against me on ebay!
15958, RE: Stop
Posted by ASTRO, Wed Mar-27-02 04:37 AM
I never got a single one at e-bay. I got mine threw online movie stores, dubbing rentals, buying the easy to find ones sowtown, conventions, and most important trades.
15959, RE: Stop
Posted by Silky1, Wed Mar-27-02 09:13 AM
>I never got a single one
>at e-bay. I got
>mine threw online movie stores,
>dubbing rentals, buying the easy
>to find ones sowtown, conventions,
>and most important trades.

Do you still have it ? And if so, can you dub it for me ? I will supply the tape. Hit me back...

Silk.
Later

15960, Ivan Dixon
Posted by ASTRO, Wed Mar-27-02 04:40 AM
Did you ever see that episode of I Spy where he almost turned his back on the usa and joined the communist? That was a good episode. I think I saw it on tape.

Also "Nothing But a Man" is fine piece of work by Ivan Dixon. I think that's my favorite Ivan Dixon project.
15961, RE: Ivan Dixon
Posted by birdman9, Wed Mar-27-02 05:27 AM
"Nothing but a Man" is one of the finest films I have ever seen. You look at that compared with similarly themed films made since and not much steps to that. Ivan Dixon and Abbey Lincoln are fantastic in that film.
15962, OH SHIP!
Posted by Allah, Wed Mar-27-02 05:38 PM
DRE Allah allah@metalab.unc.edu
http://metalab.unc.edu/nge/physical
Physical Science Productions
15963, How did you get a copy ?
Posted by Silky1, Tue Mar-26-02 08:16 PM
.....I've been looking for this movie, for a while now.

Silk.
Later
15964, Can I get a dub ?
Posted by Silky1, Tue Mar-26-02 08:23 PM
.....I will gladly supply the tape. Please????

Silk.
Later
15965, who knew there was a movie??
Posted by mareva, Wed Mar-27-02 04:02 AM

but i read the book in one sitting. the book is incredible

blessings and favor.

http://members.blackplanet.com/yeldahs/

"americans like war because we're good at it. we aint good at shit else. we can't make a good car, a good vcr. we can't educate our own children. but we'll bomb the shit out of your country, ESPECIALLY if its full of brown people!" ---George Carlin

"I've been scarred and battered...
My hopes the Wind done scattered...
The Snow has frizzed me, The Sun has baked me...Looks like between them, They done tried to make me...Stop LAUGHING, Stop LOVING, Stop LIVING,...
But I dont care, 'CAUSE I'M STILL HERE!!"
~Langston Hughes, 1947

15966, RE: The Spook who Sat by the Door
Posted by jelani, Wed Mar-27-02 05:29 PM
I saw this about 17 years ago when I rented it from a small video shop. Was suprised to find out that the movie and the book was banned from the public. I think alot of our people can get a lot from it. It also showed the social thinking of the time in contrast to the now bling bling generation.
15967, I watched in chicago
Posted by Allah, Wed Mar-27-02 05:36 PM

I had read the book earlier. Alot of the Gods have read
that......
Jailhouse rock y'all.

DRE Allah allah@metalab.unc.edu
http://metalab.unc.edu/nge/physical
Physical Science Productions