Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #9326

Subject: "SISTAHS NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Forlani

Mon May-15-00 11:08 AM

"SISTAHS NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!"

I am greatly sickened! Everytime I turn on MTV or BET...I see the same young black women shakin' there asses on camera! I have had it! I mean and it just isn't on the t.v. either, u see that ish on the street. I don't understand why sistahs are lookin' so trashy? I know they want attention, but c mon...some of the stuff I see sistahs wearin' is just shameful! I myself HAVE never looked like that...my mama, aunts, and grandma would all beat my ass! Why is it that sistahs are putting another stipulation to hundreds of years of being seen as by "the white man" as being crazy sexual beasts? Black women throughout our history (if alive today) would probably go running around the cities with belts to "zapp asses!" I feel that we as women need to respect ourselves and respect the wishes and hope of our ancestors...we've come so far ya'll...don't put something in our way! WE are all beautiful black women...can't we all be natural? NO...I suppose not, but I guess I'll have to pray on our situation...yo' hit me up with what U think!!!!! PEACE and LOVE
F. SONJATHA AUTEE

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: SISTAHS NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
Forlani
May 15th 2000
TRUTHFULLY!
Evad
May 16th 2000
      RE: Wait til you see "The Light"
May 17th 2000
MissIsis
May 17th 2000
And you know, yess you know...
Lani
May 18th 2000
Old school videos
angieee
May 18th 2000
RE: Old school videos
May 18th 2000
niles28
May 18th 2000
Tha Real World
May 25th 2000
May 18th 2000
True to an extent
May 19th 2000
i understand what you're saying
May 19th 2000
what i don't understand is..
May 19th 2000
the foundation is shaky as shit
May 20th 2000
RE: the foundation is shaky as shit
sthngrl
May 21st 2000
      I think you missin the point
May 24th 2000
I hear you Sis
May 21st 2000
RE: I hear you Sis
Forlani
May 22nd 2000
RE: Amen, Cognx ( how you spell your name?)
MissIsis
May 23rd 2000
Respect is just the minimum ...
May 23rd 2000
blondee
May 24th 2000
RE: R.E.S.P.E.C.T.
blondee
May 24th 2000
RE: R.E.S.P.E.C.T.
Forlani
May 25th 2000
Feb 20th 2002

Forlani

Mon May-15-00 11:11 AM

1. "RE: SISTAHS NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

hold up let me add this:
WE ARE ALL BEAUTIFUL WOMEN, AND THAT IS THE WAY WE SHOULD BE SEEN!

Evad

Tue May-16-00 05:41 AM

2. "TRUTHFULLY!"
In response to Reply # 1

I ain't gone lie, I sometimes do enjoy a well put together body in something skimpy but that is just the hormonial, natural MALE part of me talkin', but it is monotenous and it does seem like the girls just want attention, but at the same time I'm not tryin' to take up for the sistahs but they could be totally diferent than what they portray on television. But that does seem to make to video nowadays. Its a difficult subject to speak on.

Let it go.

label_guy
Charter member
768 posts
Wed May-17-00 09:16 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "RE: Wait til you see "The Light""
In response to Reply # 2

The video for "The Light" is going to stand above most of the bullsh*t T&A videos on the airwaves.
When you see it, you'll get what I'm saying.
LG

LG
Mark 11:24
Isaiah 54:17

MissIsis

Wed May-17-00 01:01 PM

4. "RE: SISTAHS NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Yep,

But unfortunatley them sista's do that fo' the money and hopes of meeting a rapper with money or being recognized by anyone who could give them money.

Some Sista's and the rest of the world will do anything for the right amount of money.

We do silly things like act like a ho, then wonder why people treat us like a ho.

"It's your life...but don't be stupid tho'"
-Too Short(Please stay out of his videos)

Lani

Thu May-18-00 06:56 AM

5. "And you know, yess you know..."
In response to Reply # 0

The thing that's really a shame is that most of these are young girls. Some of them are only 14 and 15 years old looking like they are 20 something. Its ridiculous!!! Its really a shame. I hope that one day they will take a look at themselves and see that they need to go put some clothes on and respect themselves.

---------------Alana-------------------
"The Beat Pimp, the Ill Philly Resident"

"I knew this girl named Alana, she had mad persona; dealt with reality never with the drama"

angieee

Thu May-18-00 09:07 AM

6. "Old school videos"
In response to Reply # 0

Kid n Play - We're gettin' Funky.

or Funky or whatever it's called. And all those older videos. I was trippin out because the guys most always had female and they were CLOTHED. Like, dancing around in pants and stuff!

Seems like Luke came in and everyone went buckwild. Or the videos with the clothed women just don't make it on the air...

Is there anyone here who could say they wouldn't do it...for any amount of money? Just wondering.
Is strippin' wrong?

angieee ('stress)

First book, The Broke Diaries, coming in about a year - March 2001, Random House.

"Okayplayer is addictive like Ebay" - Danja Mowf

"Mister Mister before you make me go, I'm here to let you know your little girl is a ho!" - Ice Cube

brzlngrl
Charter member
137 posts
Thu May-18-00 11:19 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "RE: Old school videos"
In response to Reply # 6

sometimes women allow themselves to be sexual objectified because they know no better..they have not been privilaged to an education or upbringing that teaches different...although, i believe that femininity is beautiful...and that sometimes sensual clothing and what not is completely acceptable..i do believe that the way they are objectified is demeaning and degrading..it is part of the systematic oppression that women have endured...and yes, i say this from my feminist standpoint...and as a side note, i was talking with a brotha, and after i told him i was a feminist..he started asking me if i shaved my arm pits, my sexual orientation, and told me it wasn't attractive...let's become educated..he, like several of the females in the video who aren't making ANY money from them (i udnderstand there are a couple that are), are completely oblivious to truths and struggles...it all starts from home, community, and education..and until that is guaranteed and fulfilled we will forever endure these problems..and it is unfortunate, because it is regressive..and to clarify, there is no problem being a sexual being..it is only when it is glorified as if it were the only hope or sucess that women can have...it is when it is all you see, and young minds become susceptible...

tchau..amor y paz...

"revolution is not only won by numbers, but by visionaries, and if artists aren;t visionaries, then we have no business doing what we do."
cherrie moraga

visit..http://www.blumagazine.net

"passion is not friendly. it is arrogant, superbly contemptous of all that is not itself, and, as the very definition of passion implies the impulse to freedom, it has a mighty intimidating power. it contains a challenge. it contains an unspeakable hope." james baldwin

niles28

Thu May-18-00 12:27 PM

8. "RE: Old school videos"
In response to Reply # 6

I stripping wrong? On one hand it is because it degrades women and makes them into sexual objects that lose their humanity. On the other hand, it isnt because these women choose this lifestyle. If they believe this is their only recourse financially, then will do what they have to do. I dont like to victimize people by taking the responsibility away from them. They have to be held responsible for the life choices that they are making.

As for sistas dressing in a provacative manner, unfortunately our society supports such behavior(ex. Q-tip's "Breathe & Stop"). Unfortunately, many women feel their looks is the only way to attract a man, not themselves as a whole person.

"And Still I Rise"-Maya Angelou

Hot_Damali
Charter member
8959 posts
Thu May-25-00 04:42 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
22. "Tha Real World"
In response to Reply # 8

>I stripping wrong? On one hand
>it is because it degrades
>women and makes them into
>sexual objects that lose their
>humanity. On the other
>hand, it isnt because these
>women choose this lifestyle.
>If they believe this is
>their only recourse financially, then
>will do what they have
>to do.

I used to strip. I did it because I wanted to, not because I had to. The money was great and I enjoyed the sense of power I felt onstage, and I liked coming up with creative costumes and making up new dance moves. I happen to be the type of person that enjoys expressing myself in many different ways. Sometimes I wear clothes that are tight and revealing because I'm feeling extra sexy that day. Other times I wear clothes that are sleek and stylish cuz I'm feeling sophisticated and worldly that day. Then I'll wear my jeans, sneaks and T-Shirts cuz I'm feeling athletic and sporty that day. I never wear any particular outfit specifically to attract a man. I wear sexy lingerie under my clothes sometimes because I like the way it feels on my body.

Hey...but this is just me.

Peace and love
Damali

Chief Bitch Officer of the SBU

Official Member of the Newbie-Lovers Crew

Graduate of Crackers Anonymous

brzlngrl
Charter member
137 posts
Thu May-18-00 12:43 PM

9. "RE: Old school videos"
In response to Reply # 6

you know angiee, i know a couple of women who were strippers, now feminists..there decisions were more mental than economic..one wanted to feel beautiful and she liked the attention she recieved...AT FIRST..then as the shit got old and people started stalking her..she realized that this was not good for her..she is a feminist , now because she feels that there should be other options for women out there...and that the inferiority feelings she internalized from images around her are not accuarate and insufficient for an individual woman...i believe with the question of strippin..it solely depends on the person..for me, i could never do it..part of it is because my body image is marred..and part, because i would not allow myself to be objectified...but, there is nothing wrong (who am i to judge someone else!?!? but, i do believe it is still sexual objectification)...but, it shouldn't be a last result...for people that are pushed into (which many are) for economic reasons and hate themselves for it..i believe that regret is for them is more damaging, rather than that one woman who epitomizes "if you got it flaunt it, and get paid"...

tchau..amor y paz..

"revolution is not only won by numbers, but by visionaries, and if artists aren;t visionaries, then we have no business doing what we do."
cherrie moraga

visit..http://www.blumagazine.net

"passion is not friendly. it is arrogant, superbly contemptous of all that is not itself, and, as the very definition of passion implies the impulse to freedom, it has a mighty intimidating power. it contains a challenge. it contains an unspeakable hope." james baldwin

EAS
Charter member
1702 posts
Fri May-19-00 07:57 AM

10. "True to an extent"
In response to Reply # 0

Most of the women in these videos are models/wannabe actresses. They do them because they want exposure, so they can possibly move on to bigger and better things. Yeah I'm sure the money doesn't hurt either, but it's mainly for the exposure. I don't think you can really get mad at women for doing these videos. Due to the competitiveness of the entertainment industry, I think most people, in general, would do anything to get their foot in the door. So if these women got the looks and bodies, you shouldn't get mad when they decide to do a 'booty' video. You should be mad at the people who are in charge of putting these videos on the air (because it lacks variety) and the high masses that chooses to watch it because if there wasn't such a high demand for it, these videos wouldn't be on the air as much. Now, for the women in the streets mimicking what they see on t.v., I don't know.

Vet
Charter member
8412 posts
Fri May-19-00 12:53 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "i understand what you're saying"
In response to Reply # 0

i guess it's about what you wear, how you wear it and when you wear it. i appreciate all the struggle my people have gone through, but if i want to wear some cut offs, i'm doing it. if i want to wear a something clingy i'm going to do it. it's all about how you do it. if you all hooched out bending over in front of folks it's a totally different ball park. things have gone too far lately though, lil kids hooched out, grown folks who should know better going to graduations like they are going to the club etc. things won't change until they get some self esteem and respect themselves. period, like i said, it's about when, wear and what. it's how ya do it. people are stuck on showing skin to be sexy/attractive instead of believing that you can show nothing at all and be attractive... aiight i can't say all i want i have a bus to catch.

Quotes begin here------

For Official Reunion INFO
http://www.geocities.com/apokalypznow/reunion.html

fuck you to the bitch who left her fucking cat at my apt. i'm grilling that son of a bitch tonight! toasted tabby
for everyone! - some psycho named Yvette
do motherfuckers listen? can they even comprehend the written language? shit's simple. if they don't get it just ask. - ME

Police "YOU THOUGHT PRIMO HAD BEATS?!?!?" - P!

It's alright because it's all about pieces of paper with numbers printed front and back /But the most valuable paper to me is my notebook and nigga I got stacks and stacks - Spread

...stay centered as life twirls/most sell out like a dread with a white girl - common

(a black mother's reaction to why a white guy is dating her daughter)
"I think he's dating her for street credibility."

a wise man once said/an eye for an eye/leaves everybody blind/i’ve always listened/but today i’ve grown deaf/eye for an i/i/am preparing to go to war/but i can’t see to find my sword - incogx

But what kind of genetically engineered cyborg are you to remember what you were doing at age 1?!? - Ornery

skidmarks. they're not just for underwear anymore. - crash bandicoot

'i feel you like, tomaz zamot ya know' - donwill

yardicus: hey don't laugh! I can rock the hell out a miniskirt and some "hooker heels..."

yardicus: Not to mention, my superb flynes when rocking a string of pearls...

just think/just think/ what if you could just/just blink your tag - Black Thought HOB 99

bAttlin me is like some KEDS tryna mess wit NEW BALANCES.. -Sporatic

dick hed mcs, wit dem flacid, phalic soundin subjects- one of those jail urine roach xylophone nukkas (jurx-donwill)

...she had a body like a cello with legs
i mean the ass was absurd
long neck
smooth skin
pretty face
cookie nipples
eyes wide as her hips
full lips between dimples

natural
Charter member
4632 posts
Fri May-19-00 01:53 PM

12. "what i don't understand is.."
In response to Reply # 0

these "sistas" get all assed out and then get mad at the attention they draw. the women on videos are comfortable enough to shake their ass and let guys grab all over their bodies but act funny when peeps in the street stare and comment..Yes their should be respect, but it starts first with her. What happened to bein modest and sexy and why do they think sex appeal is about wearin tight clothes ALL THE TIME..Don't get me wrong its cool behind close doors, but when ya in the streets expect the stares, hissin, callin out and brave touchin. So protect ya self and be aware that the booties are being looked for at night..

NaturalEssenceOfAfrica aka natural aka na2real aka naturalAfrican aka naturalMorena aka pretty natural aka Queen aka Mecca Nandi

: : : :): : : :

"you got more names then Method Man" Kash2099

"I tell the truth..I tell the truth even when i Lie." Scarface }>

"Never let the beauty of ya face come in comflict with the beauty of your spirit.." NaturalEssencesOfAfrica
: : : :): : : : :D

"Im what you call a non violent man,
Until I get something dangerous in my hand"
Stevie Wonder- I Aint Gonna Stand For It-Hotter
Then July }>
AIM:naturalAfrican

Nubia
Charter member
0 posts
Sat May-20-00 10:29 AM

13. "the foundation is shaky as shit"
In response to Reply # 0

Okay before I even start this let it be known that I am an Idealist first, I see things as how they should be then compare them to how they are, and still even so, not excepting that as reality. But if you wanna look at this problem you have to look at it from all angles. These sistahs do this for many reason…. 1. To get exposure 2.to survive 3. For superficial reasons like wanting to meet these artists who make the videos, or simply because they see nothing wrong with it. There are more I am sure but let’s deal with these. There is nothing wrong with a sistah who is ambitious and who will do what it takes to make her dream come true, whether it is acting or modeling or whatever. However these woman should always understand that if you have to compromise your self then it’s not worth it. And I don’t mean sticking through the tough times or being flexible I mean compromising who you are your self-respect. Then theres the whole ideal of being in these videos or stripping or anything like that as your means of survival. Know im gonna say this… things are never that hopeless… there will always be something else you just have to have the insight to see it or see it through. Granted its hard for me to say because I have never been in a situation where I needed financial support so badly that I would be willing to demean my self. I don’t have children or any major responsibilities besides school and things if that nature. So this is gonna just bring me to my whole point. First, the sistahs who do this for exposure… I mentioned something about them compromising who they are, well it’s hard to respect who you are when you don’t recognize yourself, or when you don’t have standards. And its hard to tell these women that there’s a better way of survival when they don’t even understand the concept of seeing things from a wholistic standpoint. And understanding that we should never even put ourselves in that type of situation where that’s truly our last resort. So if we really gonna handle this problem we gotta start with the family structure and setting. Our babies should be taught about how beautiful they are and how vital they are to this universe, and how their ancestors where viewed as sacred not as possession or just some woman to shake her ass in a video. If our children were taught these things not only our daughters but our sons too they need to be able to view all these woman that they objectify in their videos or that they allow to represent who they are as their sister mother daughter wife whatever. Honestly these brothas can say what they wanna say but the fact will always remain they wouldn’t have the women in their lives in these videos and such. But everything must start with the family if we continue to keep trying to handle this issue halfheartedly then we will never even bring an end to this. All we can do for those sistahs and brothas that are in this situation is offer whatever wisdom and guidance and support in any way we can, but to insure that this isn’t gonna become an even bigger issue than what it is we must start with our children.

Amina NiaRa (Nubia)

with each word you manifest reality...
speech is by nature and must continue to be divine.

Limitations are self manifested...

perfection changes daily as revolutions continously take place...

-Amina

sthngrl

Sun May-21-00 09:23 AM

14. "RE: the foundation is shaky as shit"
In response to Reply # 13

well, your reality is yours but when dealing with other people everybody has a roleto play; some blackwomen (queens) justaren't reading their script. meaning as PARENTS to everyone here(even Black men) we cannot excpect to move while lookin to ova folks for answers, (even our men)about us. and ifwe start being real about it THE FOUNDATIONM IS STRONG AS HELL....THE SAME GENIUS that lived and built 3000,4000,5000 yrs ago is still alive and aching to remanifest itself (even the white boy understands this)-into more unparalleled CIVILIZATION. recognizebabylon for what it is and MOVE ON-a fellow idealist

"Cash rules(blahblahblah)......MOVE" -MightyMos

"Makes me wanna holla"...BEAUTIFUL man Marvin

>Okay before I even start this
>let it be known that
>I am an Idealist first,
>I see things as how
>they should be then compare
>them to how they are,
>and still even so, not
>excepting that as reality. But
>if you wanna look at
>this problem you have to
>look at it from all
>angles. These sistahs do this
>for many reason…. 1. To
>get exposure 2.to survive 3.
>For superficial reasons like wanting
>to meet these artists who
>make the videos, or simply
>because they see nothing wrong
>with it. There are more
>I am sure but let’s
>deal with these. There is
>nothing wrong with a sistah
>who is ambitious and who
>will do what it takes
>to make her dream come
>true, whether it is acting
>or modeling or whatever. However
>these woman should always understand
>that if you have to
>compromise your self then it’s
>not worth it. And I
>don’t mean sticking through the
>tough times or being flexible
>I mean compromising who you
>are your self-respect. Then theres
>the whole ideal of being
>in these videos or stripping
>or anything like that as
>your means of survival. Know
>im gonna say this… things
>are never that hopeless… there
>will always be something else
>you just have to have
>the insight to see it
>or see it through. Granted
>its hard for me to
>say because I have never
>been in a situation where
>I needed financial support so
>badly that I would be
>willing to demean my self.
>I don’t have children or
>any major responsibilities besides school
>and things if that nature.
>So this is gonna just
>bring me to my whole
>point. First, the sistahs who
>do this for exposure… I
>mentioned something about them compromising
>who they are, well it’s
>hard to respect who you
>are when you don’t recognize
>yourself, or when you don’t
>have standards. And its hard
>to tell these women that
>there’s a better way of
>survival when they don’t even
>understand the concept of seeing
>things from a wholistic standpoint.
>And understanding that we should
>never even put ourselves in
>that type of situation where
>that’s truly our last resort.
>So if we really gonna
>handle this problem we gotta
>start with the family structure
>and setting. Our babies should
>be taught about how beautiful
>they are and how vital
>they are to this universe,
>and how their ancestors where
>viewed as sacred not as
>possession or just some woman
>to shake her ass in
>a video. If our children
>were taught these things not
>only our daughters but our
>sons too they need to
>be able to view all
>these woman that they objectify
>in their videos or that
>they allow to represent who
>they are as their sister
>mother daughter wife whatever. Honestly
>these brothas can say what
>they wanna say but the
>fact will always remain they
>wouldn’t have the women in
>their lives in these videos
>and such. But everything
>must start with the family
>if we continue to keep
>trying to handle this issue
>halfheartedly then we will never
>even bring an end to
>this. All we can do
>for those sistahs and brothas
>that are in this situation
>is offer whatever wisdom and
>guidance and support in any
>way we can, but to
>insure that this isn’t gonna
>become an even bigger issue
>than what it is we
>must start with our children.
>
>
>
>Amina NiaRa (Nubia)
>________________________________________
>You write like I breathe. It
>sustains you, like the air
>drawn into my lungs sustains
>me. Please keep breathing.
>- mikeONE
>
>
>with each word you manifest reality...
>
>speech is by nature and must
>continue to be divine.
>
>Limitations are self manifested...
>
>perfection changes daily as revolutions continously
>take place...
>
>-Amina
>wordsdivine@hotmail.com
>We gotta build yall... No time
>to be enemies it'sbout time
>we started
> LIVING IN some VITAL
>ENERGY
>L.I.V.E.

Nubia
Charter member
0 posts
Wed May-24-00 08:29 AM

19. "I think you missin the point"
In response to Reply # 14

I agree the essence of who we are and who we always will be still exists I mean we here aint we... we producin on large amounts, but just not large enough. but what we must NOT do is seperate ourselves from our men... this is the struggle that we both face. also what needs ta take place is the realization that we must stop this diseased self image before it even starts... thats all Im sayin. theres no more room for that NONE!!
we need to at least all have the same mindset when it comes to how we view ourselves if not then we will never make it
Peace

Amina NiaRa (Nubia)

with each word you manifest reality...
speech is by nature and must continue to be divine.

Limitations are self manifested...

perfection changes daily as revolutions continously take place...

-Amina

incogx
Charter member
517 posts
Sun May-21-00 05:37 PM

15. "I hear you Sis"
In response to Reply # 0

While I LOVE the black woman’s physical form, I think all this shit is out of control. There’s no depth to the sistas in videos, & not just the dancers! The artists too. True you have sistas like the Jazzies, Lauryn, & Erykah but they are grossly outnumbered. And no matter what people say, videos DO influence the youth. That’s why you see young ass girls going out dressed like Luke Dancers. Throughout Amerika’s HIS-story there has been a continuous attempt to dehumanize the black woman out of fear for her strength. That goes back to slave times and it’s reflected in the music today. When we are fed these messages & brothas are taught not to value our queens it tears our families apart and effs us all up, which is what they want. This shit has to stop... but how.

1ne Love,
incog

~~~~~
“You need to have respect for me!!! I was almost your father, but the line was too long!!! ...2pac in Juice

“........” ...Treach in Juice

“walk besides white women and they hold their purse/ i just asked you for the time b****!!!/ what u got anyway?!! some of the indian turf?!!!” ...Killah preist

“yall ain’t MCs/ u a CM, common mothaf*cka rhymin’ bout lexus & benz”...Wyclef Jean

“we be clubbin’ while the world around us is crumblin’” ...Chuck D (the Rhyme Animal)

“from amistad to amadou, attacked in the streets/ the term cop really stands for cappin’ our peeps” ...Tiye Phoenix

“now we all servin’ time/ even my prose is on probation” ...saul williams

“no trees grow in brooklyn/ seeds need to be planted/ i’m askin’ if yall feel me & the crowd left me stranded” ...talib kweli

saying being hardline is what it takes/ to take life/ hiding behind your iconic shield representing cowardice/ we as a people need to cower less ...Vet

put me in ur corner if u wish/ but i'll just be makin side notes on how/ f*ckin is fundamental/ how to get corporate america to fund tha mentals ...asighn4jane

home is where the heart is/ and homeless man run this land ...incog

~~Offensive Quote Month~~
“The illest since Magic Johnson” ... supherb

http://www.marcuskwame.com

http://www.myspace.com/inkogmrgone

http://www.myspace.com/marcus_kwame77

Forlani

Mon May-22-00 01:41 PM

16. "RE: I hear you Sis"
In response to Reply # 15

Good question...it must start at home...like many of you brothas and sistahs said. We need to be valued...and valued by eachother as well as ourselves...that's another problem. Women do not know how to "love" themselves...I think self esteem etc. plays a strong factor as far as respect for ones self is concerned. But HOW DO WE REALLY SOLVE THIS PROBLEM?

MissIsis

Tue May-23-00 05:47 AM

18. "RE: Amen, Cognx ( how you spell your name?)"
In response to Reply # 15

Anyway what Nubia said, it's starts with the family. We can't change our past but we got mad infulence on our future. So of course one way to tame this type of behavior is to not have children until you are ready to devote. Being a parent is hell of hard (I am one) and We can't sit our children in front of the T.V. because were tired. We can't afford to let our childrens minds be warped by the psuedo reality that Booty Shakin Video's display.

Parents need to do everyting in their power to stimulate a child's mind... Take them to the Zoo, A Black Musem, The Aquarium, Camping,
Shit like that..(don't curse at them tho'.)

Another thing to think about is be "Fucked Up" Picky about who you have sex with. He/She could end up being your baby's Mama/Daddy. We don't need any more of those.

Changing a grown person's mind is damn near impossible, but if you raise a child (in stead of simply having one) there is a better chance of the child becoming something other than the stadard Black person shown on T.V.

Wait a minute. Postpone what I just said and put this before it. ...We gotta work on our Male/Female Relationships to start solving this problem.

nushooz
Member since Nov 05th 2002
14 posts
Tue May-23-00 05:02 AM

17. "Respect is just the minimum ..."
In response to Reply # 0

Don't be a hard rock when you really are a gem - L Boogie

If you don't respect yourself ain nobody gonna give a good ???? - The Staple Singers

Today I set before you Heaven and Hell. Choose Life - My Bible

For me, this is what it all boils down to- respect & heaven/hell.

Back in the day when I was younger, finer & POORER, shakin' my ass for money could have gotten me over -way over.

But I had to ask myself: Could I look at myself afterwards? ... Could I call my mama or my grandmama up and tell her what I was doing? ....Was loosing my mother's respect worth a few dollars?..... Did this have to be another thing that I would have to pray the Father would forgive?

The answers to All these questions was a resounding NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!

I,I, I Can't Wait!

Live from the Shoe Sto, the Mall and NOW the courtroom

I, I, I Can't Wait?
U've waited long enuff!

blondee

Wed May-24-00 02:25 PM

20. "RE: SISTAHS NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

>I am greatly sickened! Everytime I
>turn on MTV or BET...I
>see the same young black
>women shakin' there asses on
>camera! I have had it!
>I mean and it just
>isn't on the t.v. either,
>u see that ish on
>the street. I don't understand
>why sistahs are lookin' so
>trashy? I know they want
>attention, but c mon...some of
>the stuff I see sistahs
>wearin' is just shameful! I
>myself HAVE never looked like
>that...my mama, aunts, and grandma
>would all beat my ass!
>Why is it that sistahs
>are putting another stipulation to
>hundreds of years of being
>seen as by "the white
>man" as being crazy sexual
>beasts? Black women throughout our
>history (if alive today) would
>probably go running around the
>cities with belts to "zapp
>asses!" I feel that we
>as women need to respect
>ourselves and respect the wishes
>and hope of our ancestors...we've
>come so far ya'll...don't put
>something in our way! WE
>are all beautiful black women...can't
>we all be natural? NO...I
>suppose not, but I guess
>I'll have to pray on
>our situation...yo' hit me up
>with what U think!!!!! PEACE
>and LOVE
>F. SONJATHA AUTEE

blondee

Wed May-24-00 02:32 PM

21. "RE: R.E.S.P.E.C.T."
In response to Reply # 0

My thoughts on the ass shakin booteee--licious videos is that they are teaching our young women black and otherwise that it's ok to be a no good common ho!!! Why else do they sell so big? If you look at artists that have those videos they always
stay on the top 10 play list---If we get together and target these particular videos and don't give them airplay then they will think that we are serious--whatever happened to the Native Tongue look or just being happy with leaving a bit to the imagination. True, boys will be boys but I have often heard from my man that "the imagination is one thing that can never be taken away." Let dud think about what he will be getting not know or have to hear about it from other heads who WILL talk about you NO DOUBT!!! Being the tomboy definitely paid off for me since I was able to straddle the fence and learn from themale point of view that sexiness is in how you carry yourself NOT in what you don't wear. Peace and Love,
Fia C.

Forlani

Thu May-25-00 11:30 AM

23. "RE: R.E.S.P.E.C.T."
In response to Reply # 21

I see your point blondee...I do...and I totally agree with what u r saying...videos are creating this image of what "we as women" are suppose to be. So of coarse we got young girls copying what they see...isn't that what t.v. does? I believe another sistah commented on t.v. and children. I mean parents have to "CONTROL" what their children are watching...I mean when kids are left with nothing constructive to do...where do they go? what do they do? They look at videos...parents need to feed their children via way of "attention" and "intellectual stimulation" so that we can one day have a strong people. MAKE TIME to be with your kids...I know it gots to be hard for single mothers and mother's in general...but spending time with your children and making sure they are being "nurished" can make a lot of difference in how they act, how they think, and how they treat others. Let's repair minds...let's help our "confused" learn that to be a woman is a wonderful thing...and that being a woman who loves and respects herself and knows how to handle her own...is truly "beautiful". Perhaps they'd grow up and try to be an example instead of these fake images many young girls are seeking to be. LOVE and Peace to my sistahs....

Forlani...

shaviya
Member since Sep 28th 2002
1 posts
Wed Feb-20-02 04:17 PM

24. "RE: SISTAHS NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Amen, Amen, Amen. It's about time someone put it out there. I come from a generation of women where your strength in character, heart, is what made you stand out as being a strong black woman, not the skimpiness of your clothes or the lack there of. I feel sorry for our younger generation of women because a lot of them don't have a "mumma" or "the old lady" down the street to show them how to achieve the greatness and respect of a true queen. If you're trying to define who you are as a women and constantly the only thing you see is these fast track women shaking their asses, getting the spot light shined on them, bling bling, you're going to get caught up in the hype. We need more positive black women shown on tv ih a respectable manner so these young girls won't think their only worth is getting on tv and starring in a hoochy video.

Simply Shaviya Shaine

Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #9326 Previous topic | Next topic