Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #6317

Subject: "Wanna go to Africa?" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
ya Setshego
Charter member
4259 posts
Sat Dec-07-02 10:49 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Wanna go to Africa?"

Check out the group I went w/ both times:

http://oca.igc.org

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Oooo baby I like it raw. Oooo baby I like it RAAAW!(c)ODB- Shimmy Shimmy Ya

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Wanna go to Africa?
Dec 07th 2002
Dec 07th 2002
Dec 08th 2002
      Agreed.
Dec 08th 2002
           say word.
Dec 08th 2002
           RE: Agreed.
Dec 09th 2002
                RE: Agreed.
Dec 09th 2002
Dec 09th 2002
hell naw...thats far
Dec 08th 2002
RE: hell naw...thats far
Dec 09th 2002
Dec 09th 2002
Dec 10th 2002
      a WEEKEND in "Egypt" changed you life?
Dec 10th 2002
      RE: a WEEKEND in "Egypt" changed you life?
Dec 10th 2002
           RE: a WEEKEND in
Dec 10th 2002
           RE: a WEEKEND in "Egypt" changed you life?
Dec 10th 2002
Dec 13th 2002
Dec 09th 2002
Dec 09th 2002
So why didn't you crackas say that 500 years ago?
Dec 09th 2002
a friend did op. crossroads
Dec 09th 2002
I raised the money
Dec 10th 2002
      What country(ies) did you "visit"...?
Dec 10th 2002
           RE: What country(ies) did you "visit"...?
Dec 13th 2002
                say word...
Dec 13th 2002
                     Nope.
Dec 13th 2002
I'd like to do this
Dec 09th 2002
RE: I'd like to do this
Dec 10th 2002
Dec 11th 2002
Dec 11th 2002
Planning to go to kenya
Dec 12th 2002
U hali gani?
Dec 13th 2002
RE: U hali gani?
Dec 13th 2002
      RE: U hali gani?
Dec 13th 2002
Kool, I'll be going to Kenya also...
Dec 13th 2002
      RE: Kool, I'll be going to Kenya also...
Dec 13th 2002

deafening_silence
Member since Oct 18th 2002
279 posts
Sat Dec-07-02 10:51 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: Wanna go to Africa?"
In response to Reply # 0

Kool, Im going to Africa with Leaders Today, also an organization ppl can go with...

ya Setshego
Charter member
4259 posts
Sat Dec-07-02 11:00 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "RE: Wanna go to Africa?"
In response to Reply # 1

Post the link for the website please. I'm hoping to use this post as a means to document ways that people were able to visit the Motherland, and then have the thread archived so the information can be readily available when folk get ready to "make that move".

THE TROLL UNDER THE BRIDGE
Member since Jun 25th 2002
805 posts
Sun Dec-08-02 07:36 AM

3. "RE: Wanna go to Africa?"
In response to Reply # 2

wow...thats cool....wish i could 'get things together' to go..have too much to do here now though.....one of us should go.

All of what remains,
Ego Brain,
And they shame,
Shame, love after it rains,
You see my pain is real,
Watch my world dissolve,
And pretend tha

ya Setshego
Charter member
4259 posts
Sun Dec-08-02 07:15 PM

4. "Agreed."
In response to Reply # 3

MORE than one should go. It's a life changing experience, I'm telling you. No matter WHAT your race or background, there is NO WAY you can spend two months in Africa, and not be moved by the experience. Africa is such a spiritual and mystical place, that having your consciousness heightened by the experience of living and working amongst Indigenous peoples there is an inevitability.

MFreeman
Charter member
3927 posts
Sun Dec-08-02 07:51 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "say word."
In response to Reply # 4

all those i know who had the blessing to visit afrika were changed by the experience.

i plan to go there too but i have to get my shit together first.

805 posts
Mon Dec-09-02 01:21 PM

9. "RE: Agreed."
In response to Reply # 4

i spent 3 months in kenya a looooooooooooooooong time ago...it was nice....i was too young to appreciate what i saw...in retrospect...everyone needs to go..i wish there was more of a united african front whener one can go back packing through the motherland....but africans arent known for their unity...i would like to go...badly...but i have bills, and mo bills...it will only get worse if i leave...so can one of you people use this oppertunity...and give us a report.....i vew is all as a family..sorta like a disfunctional clan.....even though we disagree on alot....we still agree that we should all be working towards fixing something in our little worlds (true activism)...anywho...it would make me happy to see an okp rep in the motherland......jst dont say nothing stupid when you get there....like hotep to a massai....please? (j/k)

All of what remains,
Ego Brain,
And they shame,
You see my pain is real,
Watch my world dissolve,
And pretend tha

Quest4Knowledge
Member since Jun 20th 2002
2797 posts
Mon Dec-09-02 07:24 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IMClick to send message via ICQ
14. "RE: Agreed."
In response to Reply # 9

>i spent 3 months in kenya a looooooooooooooooong time
>ago...it was nice....i was too young to appreciate what i
>saw...in retrospect...everyone needs to go..i wish there was
>more of a united african front whener one can go back
>packing through the motherland....but africans arent known
>for their unity...

I always thought they did have unity. I mean, it's an entire continent so you can't expect it to be like people who rep Brooklyn, but I always thought there was at least some level of unity (the new-found African Union, etc.)

i would like to go...badly...but i have
>bills, and mo bills...it will only get worse if i leave...so
>can one of you people use this oppertunity...and give us a
>report.....i vew is all as a family..sorta like a
>disfunctional clan.....even though we disagree on alot....we
>still agree that we should all be working towards fixing
>something in our little worlds (true activism)...anywho...it
>would make me happy to see an okp rep in the
>motherland......

Did you read Kemetian's post about going to Ethiopia?

jst dont say nothing stupid when you get
>there....like hotep to a massai....please? (j/k)

Peace and Love
-Ren

---
In memory of my sig..

deafening_silence
279 posts
Mon Dec-09-02 08:02 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
16. "RE: Wanna go to Africa?"
In response to Reply # 2

leaderstoday.com and you can find the info you need there.... under volunteer opportunities

IsaIsaIsa
Charter member

6. "hell naw...thats far"
In response to Reply # 0

where in Africa. its continent not a small town.

CantCBob
Member since Aug 13th 2002
3417 posts
Mon Dec-09-02 10:13 AM

7. "RE: hell naw...thats far"
In response to Reply # 6

I just got back from a weekend in Egypt, it was absolutly amazing. a totally life changing experience, Africa and the Middle East all in one shot. Talk about turning your whole view of the world upside down.

"and this has shit to do with your confrontational online persona and wack view on indefinite incarceration & lack of empathy." okayplayer rawsouthpaw

"John Stockton, not just a great player, but one of the greatest stories of western civilization"--Bi

805 posts
Mon Dec-09-02 01:23 PM

10. "RE: hell naw...thats far"
In response to Reply # 7

i envy you....a weekend in egypt?.....i envy you..

All of what remains,
Ego Brain,
And they shame,
You see my pain is real,
Watch my world dissolve,
And pretend tha

CantCBob
3417 posts
Tue Dec-10-02 12:57 AM

17. "RE: hell naw...thats far"
In response to Reply # 10

yeah, I´ve been living in Spain for the past four months. It was only a 5 hour flight and everything was so cheap because so many Americans are afraid to go to the middle east/africa right now. I was there for the feast at the end of Ramadan, it was amazing.

"and this has shit to do with your confrontational online persona and wack view on indefinite incarceration & lack of empathy." okayplayer rawsouthpaw

"John Stockton, not just a great player, but one of the greatest stories of western civilization"--Bi

Chibueze
Charter member
24566 posts
Tue Dec-10-02 06:36 AM

20. "a WEEKEND in "Egypt" changed you life?"
In response to Reply # 7

...ok. Try a couple hours driving through war-riddled Liberia. I'm not sayin'...but I'm just sayin'...
Egypt is a freakin' RESORT! They don't even like to claim being part of Africa. Visit one of the "dark" countries (as they call it) for the ultimate and total experience.

CantCBob
3417 posts
Tue Dec-10-02 10:29 AM

21. "RE: a WEEKEND in "Egypt" changed you life?"
In response to Reply # 20

have you ever even been to Egypt? There are a few large resort hotels but there is nothing resort about the place at all. Thanks for the life lesson on what should and shouldn´t alter a person´s view of life though. I stayed with a large family on the outskirts of Cairo who had no running water, flies all over their food, trash in their irrigation canal, and a roof made out of palm leaves. It really reminded me of a nice club med resort. Maybe they call the other countries dark because the people have darker skin than them, but hey that´s just the logical side of my brain working. I´m sorry I haven´t had the opportunity to drive through Liberia, I´m sure it would change my life, but it changes my life whenever I go anywhere. Egypt was a real serious life changer though. Being in the Middle East at a time such as now, just totally turned everything upside down. And Egypt is supposed to be one of the most developed countries in africa and the middle east, I can´t even imagine what other places must be like. But it was far from a resort, maybe you just didn´t go to the right places.

Chibueze
Charter member
24566 posts
Tue Dec-10-02 01:52 PM

22. "RE: a WEEKEND in"
In response to Reply # 21
Tue Dec-10-02 01:56 PM

You know what...I apologize. I jumped the gun outta irritation. It's just that I get a lotta ppl around the way here, and/or on this site saying how they went to Africa (Egypt) and they stayed in downtown at the Hilton Cairo or the Mandalay East or the Luxor or something ritzy as such, and it's suppose to be the ultimate trip to Africa 'cuz they saw a couple pyramids or Ramses' tomb. It just irks me. So were'd you stay at, Hulwan?

edit: (sp) Ramses.

Sopdet
Charter member
741 posts
Tue Dec-10-02 05:41 PM

23. "RE: a WEEKEND in "Egypt" changed you life?"
In response to Reply # 21

I stayed with a large family on the outskirts of Cairo who had no running water, flies all over their food, trash in their irrigation canal, and a roof made out of palm leaves. It really reminded me of a nice club med resor

Yes,I live in cairo and this is a big problem.

Those poeple who live opn ther outskirts are the real egyptains,not the people who live in the city who are mostly of freign origin.

In egypt they call darker skinned egyptains such as myself asmar,which would usually mean tan,but in egypt it is kind of a demeaning title since in modern egypt as oposed to ancient egypt darker skinned people are look down upon. A lot of time poor egyptains ,which is what my family was,but they still managed to send me to college,but people still know I am a baladi.

Baladi refers to people who live in rual areas of egypt and usually they are the cotton farmers you might see in upper egypt and are quite different form the city dwellers.

There is a section of cairo in egypt called the baladi quarters where rual fellahin come in and sell their produce,but many people such as tourist are ignorant of this. One thing you will notice in cairo is the bill boards of people are sometimes painted lighter than they turaly are.
African americans usually have no problems,but sub saharan africans who come to cairo are usually looked down upon.

I don;t sahare this opinion,but pay close attention to who miss egypt was this year and you will see it was deifnatley not egyptains that look like me.

Skin bleeching is also a big problem in egypt.

Except for his curly black hair, with its hint of African negro
blood, he looked more Arabian than Egyptian; most of the
men in the village were shorter, more heavily built, and had strong
cheekbones, thick noses, and heavy jaws. Among their rugged faces,
Shahhat's stood out as singularly expressive."
The reader might conclude from such a description that Critchfield's
initial attraction to Shahhat was due to the fact that his features
were much less African than those of the majority of Upper Egyptians.
Ironically, that is the attitude of some inhabitants of northern
Egypt, who refuse to acknowledge Upper Egyptians as Arabs, and
consider darker skin to be a negative trait. Such prejudice is the
second challenge which faces Upper Egyptians, in addition to poverty:
racism.
Although I did take issue with the presumably inadvertent racial
implications of Critchfield's observations, Shahhat, an Egyptian is
an entertaining and vivid introduction to the richness and diversity
of rural Egyptian life.
Uzra Zeya is a program coordinator for the American Educational Trust
specializing in Islamic affairs.
Advise and Dissent and Shahhat, an Egyptian are available from the
http://www.ahram.org.eg/weekly/2002/598/li1.htm

http://www.washington-report.org/backissues/0390/9003045.htm

Also I diuslike when people call egyptains middle eastern,or even arabs,because the truth is we are african,but many of uis are ashamed to admit it.

deafening_silence
279 posts
Fri Dec-13-02 06:15 AM

30. "RE: hell naw...thats far"
In response to Reply # 7

wow, very kool

Surazal
Member since Oct 11th 2002
677 posts
Mon Dec-09-02 10:34 AM

8. "RE: Wanna go to Africa?"
In response to Reply # 0

Fuck no.

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

"There is nothing more painful to me at this stage in my life than to walk down the street and hear footsteps and start thinking about robbery. Then look around and see someone white and feel relieved."
-Jesse Jackso

Quest4Knowledge
Member since Jun 20th 2002
2797 posts
Mon Dec-09-02 07:21 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IMClick to send message via ICQ
13. "RE: Wanna go to Africa?"
In response to Reply # 8

>Fuck no.

"and they will make the World seem like savages, and your own enviornment seem like utopia to keep you inside.. trapped in your own false sense of freedom and safety away from all things outside a narrow view of the World and life..."

Peace and Love
-Ren

---
In memory of my sig..

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27116 posts
Mon Dec-09-02 07:55 PM

15. "So why didn't you crackas say that 500 years ago?"
In response to Reply # 8

cracka-ass cracka.

* blames whitey *

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Christians literally believe a 2,000 year old hippie Rabbi is God.

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

bukaruk
Member since Jun 19th 2002
5079 posts
Mon Dec-09-02 04:49 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "a friend did op. crossroads"
In response to Reply # 0

how'd u get the money?

here's one, free but somewhat of a catch (u dont go for another 2 years)-http://www.dzertclub.com/

-We all dropped out of school, man. That’s why.

-"I’m the biggest one; I’m gon’ to get shot. I’m bigger. They can see me first."

-I let Nashawn fight all of them. Me, I will fight anyone of them in their crew. I will fight their security g

ya Setshego
Charter member
4259 posts
Tue Dec-10-02 06:25 AM

18. "I raised the money"
In response to Reply # 11
Tue Dec-10-02 06:26 AM

through a bake sale, yard sale, scholarship from Howard's International Affairs Dept., selling Crossroads raffle tickets, going door-to-door in my neighborhood asking for contributions, and then I received a travel scholarship from Crossroads.

The second time I did not have to pay, because I was a group leader. Groups leaders must be 25 years of age, and have some experience travelling internationally, preferably in Africa or South america.

Chibueze
Charter member
24566 posts
Tue Dec-10-02 06:31 AM

19. "What country(ies) did you "visit"...?"
In response to Reply # 18

ya Setshego
Charter member
4259 posts
Fri Dec-13-02 05:44 AM

28. "RE: What country(ies) did you "visit"...?"
In response to Reply # 19

Kenya, Botswana, Cote d'Ivoire, Nigeria, Senegal, Ghana, Ethiopia, Liberia, Zambia and Zimbabwe.

Chibueze
Charter member
24566 posts
Fri Dec-13-02 09:45 AM

34. "say word..."
In response to Reply # 28

.../did u see/visit the tunnel of 'no return' in Ghana? deep...

ya Setshego
Charter member
4259 posts
Fri Dec-13-02 10:44 AM

36. "Nope."
In response to Reply # 34

Only in pictures. That's why I'm trying to go back.

>.../did u see/visit the tunnel of 'no return' in Ghana?
>deep...

ebisu
Charter member
171 posts
Mon Dec-09-02 07:12 PM

12. "I'd like to do this"
In response to Reply # 0

The only problem I see would be getting the funds together. How did you do it?

http://www.last.fm/user/ebisu

Sopdet
Charter member
741 posts
Tue Dec-10-02 11:50 PM

24. "RE: I'd like to do this"
In response to Reply # 12

stayed with a large family on the outskirts of Cairo who had no running water, flies all over their food, trash in their irrigation canal, and a roof made out of palm leaves. It really reminded me of a nice club med resor

Yes,I live in cairo and this is a big problem.

Those poeple who live opn ther outskirts are the real egyptains,not the people who live in the city who are mostly of freign origin.

In egypt they call darker skinned egyptains such as myself asmar,which would usually mean tan,but in egypt it is kind of a demeaning title since in modern egypt as oposed to ancient egypt darker skinned people are look down upon. A lot of time poor egyptains ,which is what my family was,but they still managed to send me to college,but people still know I am a baladi.

Baladi refers to people who live in rual areas of egypt and usually they are the cotton farmers you might see in upper egypt and are quite different form the city dwellers.

There is a section of cairo in egypt called the baladi quarters where rual fellahin come in and sell their produce,but many people such as tourist are ignorant of this. One thing you will notice in cairo is the bill boards of people are sometimes painted lighter than they turaly are.
African americans usually have no problems,but sub saharan africans who come to cairo are usually looked down upon.

I don;t sahare this opinion,but pay close attention to who miss egypt was this year and you will see it was deifnatley not egyptains that look like me.

Skin bleeching is also a big problem in egypt.

Except for his curly black hair, with its hint of African negro
blood, he looked more Arabian than Egyptian; most of the
men in the village were shorter, more heavily built, and had strong
cheekbones, thick noses, and heavy jaws. Among their rugged faces,
Shahhat's stood out as singularly expressive."
The reader might conclude from such a description that Critchfield's
initial attraction to Shahhat was due to the fact that his features
were much less African than those of the majority of Upper Egyptians.
Ironically, that is the attitude of some inhabitants of northern
Egypt, who refuse to acknowledge Upper Egyptians as Arabs, and
consider darker skin to be a negative trait. Such prejudice is the
second challenge which faces Upper Egyptians, in addition to poverty:
racism.
Although I did take issue with the presumably inadvertent racial
implications of Critchfield's observations, Shahhat, an Egyptian is
an entertaining and vivid introduction to the richness and diversity
of rural Egyptian life.
Uzra Zeya is a program coordinator for the American Educational Trust
specializing in Islamic affairs.
Advise and Dissent and Shahhat, an Egyptian are available from the
http://www.ahram.org.eg/weekly/2002/598/li1.htm

http://www.washington-report.org/backissues/0390/9003045.htm

Also I diuslike when people call egyptains middle eastern,or even arabs,because the truth is we are african,but many of uis are ashamed to admit it.

Rexdale
Member since May 20th 2002
626 posts
Wed Dec-11-02 08:41 AM

25. "RE: I'd like to do this"
In response to Reply # 24

I agree with you on the African thing, but you cannot ignore the fact that Egypt DOES have an ARAB history that cannot be overlooked. Most Egyptians just because of lanugage and recent history, have a lot more in common with the middle-east then with the rest of Africa. Having said that, I do think that they should take more pride in their African side, but with the situation right now in the middle-east, they can't ignore their "middle-eastern" side for sure.

Peace,

Side note: hopefully, I'll be reaching Somali/Ethiopia this year, never been there, even though that's where my fam is from. Can't wait!

Sopdet
Charter member
741 posts
Wed Dec-11-02 08:08 PM

26. "RE: I'd like to do this"
In response to Reply # 25

Most Egyptians just because of lanugage and recent history, have a lot more in common with the middle-east then with the rest of Africa.

Not really ancient kemetian language is more related to chadic,berber and cushiuc than it is wiuth semetic languages even though they are the same phylum.

What arab history,coptics which most egyptains come from allowqed arabs to come in and they messed it up.

Most of gegyptains during the byzhantine was coptic,I am by no mean an arab,nor will I rid myself of my pharonic heritage to apease arabs and their agenda.

akon
Charter member
27010 posts
Thu Dec-12-02 07:55 AM

27. "Planning to go to kenya"
In response to Reply # 0

over the summer to work with carolina for kibera (project run by univ. of northcarolina chapel hill). i'm from kenya so i figure i just need to take care of air fare (1,500).my proposal is to set up HIV/AIDS awareness with youth, so if anyone is going to be in africa thereabouts and wants to get involved we could set up some dialogue.... i am going july-august. dates not set yet....

http://perspectivesudans.blogspot.com/
i myself would never want to be god,or even like god.Because god got all these human beings on this planet and i most certainly would not want to be responsible for them, or even have the disgrace that i made them.

ya Setshego
Charter member
4259 posts
Fri Dec-13-02 05:50 AM

29. "U hali gani?"
In response to Reply # 27

Ume kuja kutoka wapi?

akon
Charter member
27010 posts
Fri Dec-13-02 07:19 AM

32. "RE: U hali gani?"
In response to Reply # 29

njema ndugu, pole nilichukua muda kukujibu. i grew up in nairobi...

i myself would never want to be god,or even like god.Because god got all these human beings on this planet and i most certainly would not want to be responsible for them, or even have the disgrace that i made them.

ya Setshego
Charter member
4259 posts
Fri Dec-13-02 10:43 AM

35. "RE: U hali gani?"
In response to Reply # 32

So you're Kikuyu? Where do you live now?

deafening_silence
279 posts
Fri Dec-13-02 06:16 AM

31. "Kool, I'll be going to Kenya also..."
In response to Reply # 27
Fri Dec-13-02 06:17 AM

Nice to see others are also going to help

akon
Charter member
27010 posts
Fri Dec-13-02 07:20 AM

33. "RE: Kool, I'll be going to Kenya also..."
In response to Reply # 31

when are you going?? me- probably july-august.

Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #6317 Previous topic | Next topic