Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #21921

Subject: "One VERY Simple Question" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
NiaRa

Wed Aug-30-00 06:48 AM

"One VERY Simple Question"

What is the point of “activism” if there is no solid familial structure?

it all seems kinda backwards to me....
I do believe that we must redefine activism
or stand to waste a large amount of energy

as i paint to the wind's breath
freestyle to my footsteps
and create till the heartbeat's got no rhythm left...
-archangel_500years

Continue to ignore yourself and your hearing will be no more...

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: One VERY Simple Question
Aug 30th 2000
you gotta elaborate
Aug 30th 2000
RE: you gotta elaborate
NiaRa
Aug 30th 2000
      better
Aug 30th 2000
      This might be off the subject of where your going...
Aug 30th 2000
      RE: you gotta elaborate
Aug 31st 2000
           thank YOU for
NiaRa
Aug 31st 2000
some revolutionaries are
Wise_7
Aug 30th 2000
I may be
NiaRa
Aug 31st 2000
RE: One VERY Simple Question
Aug 31st 2000
Maybe
NiaRa
Sep 01st 2000

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Wed Aug-30-00 06:52 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: One VERY Simple Question"
In response to Reply # 0

Family:

Home, hearth, blood relatives
'Hood, homies, the kids I grew up with
New friends, people I've never seen, okayplayers
All the people with whom I share commonalities, the essence of self, like what we're trying to get at on What Are We?

Race? Immaterial. We're all human.
Opinion? Immaterial. We're all different.
What matters is that we're all thrown together and given all these opportunities to learn.

It's okay to disagree. It's just not okay to lose sight of each person's essential worthiness.

Okay, player?

Peace.

~ ~ ~
All meetings end in separation
All acquisition ends in dispersion
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

Every hundred years, all new people

BooDaah
Charter member
32690 posts
Wed Aug-30-00 07:15 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "you gotta elaborate"
In response to Reply # 0

so i can see where you're coming from (probably somewhere near the end of that preposition).

anyway, how do YOU define the terms and why do the two have to be inter-related in your mind?

In a broad sense, family extends way beyond the boundaries of blood and as such activism is a mechanism by which families can be united for common goals, but i don't think that's what you're going with your question.
------QUOTE STARTS HERE------
BooDaah-OkayActivist Moderator
** PLEASE READ THE POSTING GUIDELINES:
http://www.okayplayer.com/guidelines.html
-----------------------------
Sister SheRise's Activist Stew Recipe:
Step1:inform yourself step/Step2:inform others/Step3:discuss the problem/Step4: DISCUSS SOLUTIONS/Step5:EXECUTE SOLUTIONS/Step6:evaluate the results/Step7:start over at 1 until desired result is accomplished.

NiaRa

Wed Aug-30-00 08:27 AM

3. "RE: you gotta elaborate"
In response to Reply # 2

Well

There is a lack of concern when it comes to family in my opinion. But I think it has a great deal to do with priorities...
There is often a buzz among the “half ass-Africentrist”, “pseudo- intellectual”, and “so called activist” about things like Liberation, revolution, politics, knowledge of self, and civil rights even. And I say these things mockingly because it has become a bit frustrating... there is nothing more exciting or inspiring then someone who is ready to move forward in a positive direction... so I don’t belittle their efforts in anyway because their heart is there. But the thing is I have observed the fatal flaws... there is TOO much talk about the things that exist externally...
Specifically I am referring to the energetic soul that speaks harshly and adamantly against political officials and social issues... but doesn’t even live in the same house as his child. Or what about the sistah who is ready to take down the whole system but cant even have a healthy conversation with the person that gave her life.
I mean a lot of times people in these positions often fret about not being able to save the world even if it is one person at a time. And I’ve seen em... you would really think that saving the world was their objective but I can guarantee that trying to save your family, although it may take countless amounts of effort, is a much more realistic goal.
Its just like the whole idea of revolution... people so often get things twisted... like I said before when some think of “revolution” automatically the image of actual physical combat comes to mind... but what about the basics? I mean hell that may infact be the end result but I don’t even know the path of all this... cuzz I’m to busy focusing on the drastic changes that need to occur within my being.
We are, as activist, striving for a better future right? But it’s a contradiction that’s like going all around the world on a cleaning spree when your house is dirty as hell.
And you are right... family does extend far beyond the ties of blood and biology but the base, the foundation must be sturdy before we attempt to build a house... neighborhood, then community on top of it. It will come crashing down right after its built and that’s only IF it can stay up long enough for construction.
There is just a place and time for everthing in life. But its true that its not that simple because people have to learn how to have a healthy family

maybe these efforts should simply coexist with more focus

-archangel_500years

BooDaah
Charter member
32690 posts
Wed Aug-30-00 08:36 AM

4. "better"
In response to Reply # 3

so basically you're saying: how can you fix the world if you can't even fix your own life?

good question.

but there is an old saying about how it's easier to notice another's splinter than del with your own plank.

but i feel you. i agree that "internal" issues regarding the deterioration of the family unit spill over into society at large. in other words:
problems with authority (recieving and exercising), education (teach your kids), and even governing are capsulized by our relationships at home. good point.

------QUOTE STARTS HERE------
BooDaah-OkayActivist Moderator
** PLEASE READ THE POSTING GUIDELINES:
http://www.okayplayer.com/guidelines.html
Sister SheRise's Activist Stew Recipe:
Step1:inform yourself step/Step2:inform others/Step3:discuss the problem/Step4: DISCUSS SOLUTIONS/Step5:EXECUTE SOLUTIONS/Step6:evaluate the results/Step7:start over at 1 until desired result is accomplished.

judicem
Member since Jun 07th 2002
24 posts
Wed Aug-30-00 09:35 AM

5. "This might be off the subject of where your going..."
In response to Reply # 3

I always felt teachers have the power to be great revolutionaries if they took the time out to see themselves in the world. Having such young minds to mold with so much potential teachers need more than a book. Teachers need to be more Gurus than "teachers" in our Americanized sense. You have young blood thirsty for life and you as a teacher you don't share your life, your experiences, your morals or values. We're so stuck on not bringing religion or politics into school that by the end of those 14 years of schooling our children our empty slates with empty facts. My high school years were wasted by teachers with mad drama in their lives. So much that they stuck close to the rules and read verbatim out of the book unable to pull the world out of it for the young minds. They became these machines just processing students to the next grade. I know most teachers probably do not even think revolutionary but they once had the need to want to change the lives of young minds even if just for a split second.

What the hell did I just say? Well I'm agreeing with the you. We need people to be on a constant internal growth tip. And teachers are at the fore-front. Teachers need to see what they do as a vocation like the priesthood instead of a job where they don't get paid enough. Our youth are tomorrows adulthoods so if we can teach them how to look inside themselves they will stand infront of the revolution with out fronting on their purity.

illosopher
Charter member
596 posts
Thu Aug-31-00 07:27 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "RE: you gotta elaborate"
In response to Reply # 3

Thank You for putting that out there....

NiaRa

Thu Aug-31-00 03:37 PM

9. "thank YOU for"
In response to Reply # 8

appreciating my efforts...
everything okay luv?

-archangel_500years

Wise_7

Wed Aug-30-00 09:49 AM

6. "some revolutionaries are"
In response to Reply # 0

martyrs.
They feel that they must fix everything in the world because they believe it to be their fault.
As a revolutionary, some might get scared because they feel that they can't control everybody else's life.
We all know about the things that Harriet Tubman did.
But, how did she feel?

NiaRa

Thu Aug-31-00 05:08 AM

7. "I may be"
In response to Reply # 6

a little slow bu I missing where you going with this... could you please explain it to me

-archangel_500years

unity
Charter member
7184 posts
Thu Aug-31-00 07:20 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
10. "RE: One VERY Simple Question"
In response to Reply # 0

>>What is the point of “activism”
>if there is no solid
>familial structure?

perhaps we should be ACTIVELY striving to create a solid familial structure?

still pondering this one though...

"You are the revolution,.....don't wait to see it on the 6 o'clock news. Bear witness to yourself."
--Wise_7

"theres' so much tension and hate in the world that the act of love to your neighbor is trully revolutionary...it's all about thinking differently than the mainstream concerns of now. "
--mayhem

"SO POWERFUL IS THE LIGHT OF UNITY THAT IT CAN ILLUMINATE THE WHOLE EARTH."
--Baha'u'llah

---
http://beantownbrown.blogspot.com/
http://www.itsjusthair.com/
http://twitter.com/indigginus
http://bahai.us/

NiaRa

Fri Sep-01-00 05:56 AM

11. "Maybe"
In response to Reply # 10

the explanation I responded with will spread light

-archangel_500years

Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #21921 Previous topic | Next topic