Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #17860

Subject: "SLAVES STILL IN AMERICA!!!!" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
abduhu
Charter member
1734 posts
Wed Feb-14-01 08:32 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"SLAVES STILL IN AMERICA!!!!"

peace.

i'm pretty sure we are all aware of the fact that some of our ancestors were enslaved.

but,....how about us? are we slaves? what kind?

are we or aren't we super-ultra dependant on the u.s.gov. and "white folks" for everything under the sun?

if the u.s.gov. gave the african americans half of the u.s. right now (and i'm talking about a really good half), would we know what to do to be super-ultra independant?

how many of "us":
know how to farm?
know how to raise livestock?
know how to slaughter your livestock?
know how to hunt or even own a firearm, spear or whatever to hunt with?
know how to cook your own food?
know how to build anything, at all?
know how to run a business?
know how to run a city, a county, a state?
know how to sew your own clothes?
know how to defend yourself?
know how to go to war and be a soldier for your "half of the u.s" if you had to?
know how to command an army?
know how to run a t.v. station or a radio station?
know how to run the internet?
know how to manufacture things from medicine to whatever?
.....and 1,000,000 other things that we would need to know how to do in order to be in order to be super-ultra independant.

what do ya think? are we ready to be free?
....or are we "talkin' loud.....and saying nothin'!".

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: SLAVES STILL IN AMERICA!!!!
Feb 14th 2001
good points
audiovisuals
Feb 14th 2001
RE: good points-help
Feb 20th 2001
utamaroho
Feb 20th 2001
Mar 02nd 2001
you know what
Feb 14th 2001
RE: you know what
Feb 14th 2001
      RE: you know what
Feb 14th 2001
           which is why
audiovisuals
Feb 15th 2001
                people speak of corruption...
Feb 16th 2001
We have these skills.
dysfunctmonk
Feb 14th 2001
exactly my point n/m
Feb 15th 2001
damn I love this site
Feb 15th 2001
Feb 15th 2001
Feb 15th 2001
STRATEGIES
Feb 15th 2001
Feb 20th 2001
Slavery in Brooklyn TODAY
Feb 20th 2001
nah...gotta link? n/m
Feb 21st 2001

standard deviant
Charter member
1206 posts
Wed Feb-14-01 08:59 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: SLAVES STILL IN AMERICA!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

>how many of "us":
>know how to farm?
>know how to raise livestock?
>know how to slaughter your livestock?
>
>know how to hunt or even
>own a firearm, spear or
>whatever to hunt with?
>know how to cook your own
>food?
>know how to build anything, at
>all?
>know how to run a business?
>
>know how to run a city,
>a county, a state?
>know how to sew your own
>clothes?
>know how to defend yourself?
>know how to go to war
>and be a soldier for
>your "half of the u.s"
>if you had to?
>know how to command an army?
>
>know how to run a t.v.
>station or a radio station?
>
>know how to run the internet?
>
>know how to manufacture things from
>medicine to whatever?
>.....and 1,000,000 other things that we
>would need to know how
>to do in order to
>be in order to be
>super-ultra independant.
>
>what do ya think? are we
>ready to be free?
>....or are we "talkin' loud.....and saying
>nothin'!".

far more than you probably think, on all accounts. maybe not in your neighborhood, but there are still plenty of people with those skills.

audiovisuals

Wed Feb-14-01 09:02 AM

2. "good points"
In response to Reply # 0

what do you propose as a solution/resolution to the diaspora of black people in america? especially for those of us that can't/don't do anything independently? don't get me wrong, i totally support your statements, and would like focus on resolving the issue instead of only making an argument. what about the people that don't really know/understand the concept of still being "slaves"?

earthsista
Charter member
4408 posts
Tue Feb-20-01 06:23 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
14. "RE: good points-help"
In response to Reply # 2

>what do you propose as a
>solution/resolution to the diaspora of
>black people in america?
>especially for those of us
>that can't/don't do anything independently?
> don't get me wrong,
>i totally support your statements,
>and would like focus on
>resolving the issue instead of
>only making an argument.
>what about the people that
>don't really know/understand the concept
>of still being "slaves"?

Yes some of us don't know/understand the whole concept of being "Slaves" so please shine a little light on us young ones

Peace

~sig~
When ppl show you who they are- BELIEVE them. ~Maya Angelou

utamaroho

Tue Feb-20-01 06:30 PM

15. "RE: good points-help"
In response to Reply # 14

"REAL RECOGNIZE REAL, and even more than that, the fake, they REALLY REALLY recognize REAL!" -BlackThought

"STAY BLACK,STAY BLACK,STAY BLACK,STAY BLACK" -Mos Def

i think he means the mental slavery that we majority people face, being that white people(who are not the problem) only make up 8% of the planet, there have to be mental shackles that are holding people back. self sufficiency is the first step, that's my goal this summer as far as producing my own food is concerned. this is what i'm going to actualize in the near future.

Nuwb or "blackness" is supreme balance before the chaos was introduced. It was a state of sound, right reasoning. That darkness was triple darkness, which is what you would call the absence of consciousness, or the state of being awoke. In actuality, the dream state is more real and peaceful than the chaos you meet once you are awake. A form of spiritual darkness responsible for the spark that turned on the light that is the life and intellect of all who breathe and think.
When the light is turned on again, the chaos begins. The differentiation begins. The separation begins. The rights and the wrongs, the goodness and the badness; the supreme balance is broken and the ego begins to verse the "I."

earthsista
Charter member
4408 posts
Fri Mar-02-01 01:52 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
19. "RE: good points-help"
In response to Reply # 15

>"REAL RECOGNIZE REAL, and even more
>than that, the fake, they
>REALLY REALLY recognize REAL!" -BlackThought
>
>
>"STAY BLACK,STAY BLACK,STAY BLACK,STAY BLACK" -Mos
>Def
>
>i think he means the mental
>slavery that we majority people
>face, being that white people(who
>are not the problem) only
>make up 8% of the
>planet, there have to be
>mental shackles that are holding
>people back. self sufficiency is
>the first step, that's my
>goal this summer as far
>as producing my own food
>is concerned. this is what
>i'm going to actualize in
>the near future.

I hear you on that one
>
>
>

~sig~
When ppl show you who they are- BELIEVE them. ~Maya Angelou

LexM
Charter member
28342 posts
Wed Feb-14-01 09:12 AM

3. "you know what"
In response to Reply # 0

I started to write this long ass reply, but I gave up.

Suffice it to say that most of the stuff on that list White people don't really know how to do either. They just hire folks who do.

Furthermore, there are quite a few Black people who have experience in most (if not all) of the areas u mentioned.

So, while on one level I see your point, on another it seems like you're not giving Black folks much credit.

L.

"There are no atheists in foxholes" (c) Any Given Sunday

I <3 Freestyle!!

"And for once, I want to live for the stars that came before me/And for the ones/That will never have the opportunity…to connect" ~~presyzion

"if and when blind, you will hear/drops of water reflecting off your skin/
the subtle bounces magnified into drum pounding/gateway splitting, roaring and consuming, yet soothing/echos of your losses" ~~jesmar

"and my own fears now/are not that i’ll die without money or land/but that i’ll die without this pen in my hand/and god bless this man, as i speak spoken words/cuz i may die broke/but i’ll be broke and heard." ~~RatpackSlim

"how can she sing/holy songs/'bout baby jesus/and mary/and not come/and save me from choking/on sweet youth mixed with mildew/that keeps clinging to my memories/cause this ain't the first time/grandma forget to save me and/my momma forgot to save me.../just always said "jesus wants you to save your flowers"/but my jesus forgot to save me too" ~~beyond_levels

~~~~
http://omidele.blogspot.com/
http://rahareiki.tumblr.com/
http://seatofbliss.blogspot.com/

Sudani
Charter member
631 posts
Wed Feb-14-01 11:52 AM

4. "RE: you know what"
In response to Reply # 3

I happen to know a slew of brothers who know how to hold it down but they happen to be muslims. I think the MAIN concern is that our people in the CITIES have lost that connection and many of us are moving out of the country and into the city because it is somehow better? My step-grandmother is STILL living in a house her father and Husband built with thier hands, made of pure logs. She even has an outhouse but they got tissue paper in there! When I was pulling up, her sons were shooting at rabbits , and she had some deer up in tha house( it was good..I ate Bambi, just playin' players). Anyway, many blacks look down on being from " tha Country" but those people will be tha main ones making preserves and growing corn and all of those other things while we are crying about how the lights are off and the food in tha fridge is about to go bad...... We need some city kids to get a taste of country livin'. We need to convert Tuskegee University back into the school it used to be with the students making every brick of a new building and raising and cooking the food in the school cafeteria, instead of it being an old landmark living of the old legend of 1881... Peace

shepoet
Charter member
81 posts
Wed Feb-14-01 04:27 PM

5. "RE: you know what"
In response to Reply # 4

I happen to know and have worked with a slew of black folks who are not muslim, who fit the livelihoods listed.

Blacks are EVERYWHERE.

problem is...we are not unified.

audiovisuals

Thu Feb-15-01 06:13 AM

7. "which is why"
In response to Reply # 5

i'm looking to assess the issue of resolving and making us whole. corruption separates us, and tha's some foul shit cuz power in numbers is a beautiful thing...

shepoet
Charter member
81 posts
Fri Feb-16-01 08:45 AM

13. "people speak of corruption..."
In response to Reply # 7

...that sad thing is, we are doing it to ourselves and to each other.

outside assistance is just a 'perk'.

dysfunctmonk

Wed Feb-14-01 05:06 PM

6. "We have these skills."
In response to Reply # 0

Black people know how to do these things. We are the working class. We are the ones who do these things making these companies money. That is part of our present enslavement. The labors of our hands are of no benefit to us but, rather, to the companies who exploit the abilities of our people. We have the skills, though. Not every individual has every one of these skills, but we as a collective have all of these skills and need only unity and organization to use them to become self-sufficient.

"If our education is not about gaining real power, we are being miseducated and misled and we will die 'educated' and misled."
-Amos Wilson, The Falsification of Afrikan Consciousness

LexM
Charter member
28342 posts
Thu Feb-15-01 07:48 AM

10. "exactly my point n/m"
In response to Reply # 6

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
KizzMyBlakAzz: you've made yourself a shell
KizzMyBlakAzz: i know you're soft and gooey on the inside
LHoney17: I know I am....never said I wasn't
LHoney17: but that doesn't mean I get stepped on or that I'm not strong
KizzMyBlakAzz: Gooey
LHoney17: lol
KizzMyBlakAzz: Caramel
KizzMyBlakAzz: Center
LHoney17: lol....well that's a nice way to think of it
KizzMyBlakAzz: with like a hard choclate shell
LHoney17: think I'll put that in a personal ad
KizzMyBlakAzz: You're a Rollo
LHoney17: lmao
KizzMyBlakAzz: lmao

~~~~

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Thu Feb-15-01 06:52 AM

8. "damn I love this site"
In response to Reply # 0

and now that this has been brought up...lets poli about how to fix things.

"You wanna live broke, I'd rather die rich, nuff said." ~ S. Carter

'hyperdermic people poking fun at the living...' ~ pattern against user; @ the Drive In

pass the P's like they used to say...' ~ DeLa

fin.

on sabbatical.

does it really matter?

wonder what bin's doing?
http://i.imgur.com/phECCMp.jpg

joseph
Member since Feb 20th 2003
268 posts
Thu Feb-15-01 07:18 AM

9. "RE: SLAVES STILL IN AMERICA!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

yes slavery exists in north america, as well as all over the world. I dont belive it is just a problem for black folk. Right now...today, I will go to a friends house and find that they have, not one but two or three maids. Who will wash the families clothes do the cooking and cleaning, all house hold chores for no more than $150.oo a month. these "maids" work from about 6a.m. to 10p.m. everyday. I am living in a third world country right now... but is that an excuse for violating human rights?
the maids are over joyed to have a job! something like a job seems to be taken for granted in my home town.
Here the people who are from the country know how to farm, make their own clothes, and live well with oneanother. I have been to some of these places and I am noticed as a "gringo" right away. these people see my "fancy clothes" and belive that they are living a much fuller life than myself. I cant blame them for thinking that, I would actually have to agree with them.
But it is people from the country who come to the city in serch of a better life that are fucked. they come to the city to find the air is polluted, there are no jobs, and no good living conditions. WHAT THE HELL ARE WE SUPPOSED TO DO?
The only conclusion I have come to, is to know myself. If I stop contributing to the suffering of the world it can and will change. I deal with myself by knowing myself through lots and lots of meditation. I think if we just smile at someone, no matter race creed or color we can plant a positive seed in the world. And all positive seeds grow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ILOVEYOU CHAU

abduhu
Charter member
1734 posts
Thu Feb-15-01 08:07 AM

11. "RE: SLAVES STILL IN AMERICA!!!!"
In response to Reply # 9

off the topic, but which 3rd world country?

Solarus
Charter member
3604 posts
Thu Feb-15-01 08:18 AM

12. "STRATEGIES"
In response to Reply # 0

Hotep

This is re-posted from "put up or shutup (redux)."

PEace
Solarus

*Keep in mind these constructs that I'll be referring to:
1.Power = the ability to define reality
2.Control = the use of power over a particular entity or entities
3.Passivism = a practice that emphasizes appealling to an external, governing source of power to achieve some sort of change and/or gain, especially in social status.
4.Activism is the practice of emphasizing the use of an internal, self-determining source of power to enact some sort of change

COMMUNITY STRATEGIES
Here are just a few:

1. Starting school/child development program-

This is my first order of business because childhood is the beginning of the indoctrination into the current system of living. This is the phase where psycho-social control is firmly established because school becomes the determining factor of KNOWLEDGE about the world. Thus the reality is securely defined. The point is that starting schools based on African-centered values and teaching methods is a must if any change will or can be made. "They" (propagators of the system) know this too. Why was this a topic of discussion at the IMF/World Bank convention in August? Why have numerous offers been made to buy out the successful Garvey Institute in LA? Why was an offer made for millions of dollars to be given to the school if cameras were put in? Because "they" know that their power stems largely from our enculturation at schools.

2. Farming and self-sufficiency-

Because the acquisition and retention of fertile and arable land is exceedingly difficult for persons of color (see plight of the black farmers), the emphasis needs to be more on the cultivation of land. Acquiring land is definitely important but being able to cultivate half an acre is even more important. The key here is not necessarily separation but moreso self-sufficiency. The key to American domination of itself and of other countries is their buying into dependency. Americans become more and more dependent on credit cards, grocery stores, backs, MONEY in general, to sustain their lives. This is why Y2K could cause such a huge scare for the masses of people. Luxuries have become "necessities." Other countries (especially "third World") learn the Western way PARTIALLY with faulty sewers, inefficient housing, etc. This causes unsanitary conditions then they DEPEND on the West to support them basically giving total control of their land to Western nations. Thus the emphasis on agriculture needs to be enforced in order to become self-sustaining.

3. Building of Communities-

Where are the Black communities? "Hispanic" communities? In most cases there are none. All one sees is "Black or hispanic REGIONS or GHETTOS." Inherent in the word "community" is "unity." "come-to unity" does not exist. Communities are established when "like-minds" live together with common goals. This is not going to happen by simply introducing yourself to the neighbors. Communities are established when individuals have a connection that is larger that just the desire to "maintain a safe neighborhood." No the key is for groups of people who have the same goals and wishes, who can trust each other with one another's children, who interact more than just superficially at "get-togethers" and "neighborhood meetings." NO this happens when the neighbors are as personal to you as siblings, to the point where even if you are not totally monolithic in thought (which is unhealthy in the first place) they'll have your back and you'll have theirs regardless. PEople such as this need to make concerted efforts to move into the same neighborhoods to where eventually they will have it on LOCK.

PERSONAL STRATEGIES:

1.Always seek to destroy all vestiges of the Western conceptual system that may pervade your thoughts.
2.Pay close attention to physical health and begin to learn more about healthy ways of living.
3.MARTIAL ARTS!!!!!!!
4.Need STONG BASE and CONNECTION WITH OTHERS.
5.SPIRITUAL DEVELOPMENT (Paying attention to last three should automatically lead you to this. If not then check last three.)
6. NEVER GIVE UP!!!!

THE STRUGGLE CONTINUES!!!!!!!!!!!

"Activism is the practice of using an internal, self-determining source of power to live one's life and/or enact some sort of change. Power is the ability to define reality, while self-determination is to decide or define one's self. Therefore activism, is not simply something done to right some wrong or to fight some cause but rather it is a way of life. Activism is the way of life where one can define self and change anything that may impede or control the reality that one chooses to live."-Solarus

"the real pyramids were built with such precision that you can't slide a piece of paper between two 4,000 lb stones, and have shafts perfectly aligned so that you can see a tiny aperture through dozens of these mammoth blocks

synonomous
Charter member
3405 posts
Tue Feb-20-01 08:40 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
16. "RE: SLAVES STILL IN AMERICA!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Ya know, this popped into my head one day, and I'm not the most educated on this subject, so forgive me if I may sound dumb, but this is what I wanted to know. Could African-American's do something like the Amish? Like if enough of them organized, and requested sovereignity could they get their own land, and their own social security, and their own schools like the Amish did? It seems that for the most part, that is what a lot of african-americans desire, so what makes the Amish so much better that they got it? Where there som extreme circumstances that I'm just not aware of?
Peace
-Synonomous

Aim: wtc36wtc
e-mail: wtc41@yahoo.com

"Truth be told we hypocrites in a materialistic society, spirituality shunned on while young kids get gunned on" - Jane Doe

"So stick to the same plan, don't come shakin my hand like we peeps, it ain't beef but be sure to understand between us, it ain't all good" - De La Soul

"If I don't like it I don't like it, it don't mean that I'm hating." - Common

fill up your mind with all it can know
don't forget that your body will let it all go

aim: okplayer greg

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Tue Feb-20-01 09:12 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
17. "Slavery in Brooklyn TODAY"
In response to Reply # 0

I thought this thread was about the recent news story of the black slaves discovered chained in the backyard of a Brooklyn home. Anyone else hear about that?

Thoughtfully yours,

Spirit

http://www.mp3.com/miscellaneousflux - click for instant audio gratification

http://mp3.washingtonpost.com/bands/in_shallah.shtml
- b-boy soul music for the world to
uprock to...

http://mp3.washingtonpost.com/bands/miscellaneous_flux.shtml (Flux's "Sad Sunshine" is currently an editor's pick at http://www.washingtonpost.com/mp3)

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com

LexM
Charter member
28342 posts
Wed Feb-21-01 08:21 AM

18. "nah...gotta link? n/m"
In response to Reply # 17

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
KizzMyBlakAzz: you've made yourself a shell
KizzMyBlakAzz: i know you're soft and gooey on the inside
LHoney17: I know I am....never said I wasn't
LHoney17: but that doesn't mean I get stepped on or that I'm not strong
KizzMyBlakAzz: Gooey
LHoney17: lol
KizzMyBlakAzz: Caramel
KizzMyBlakAzz: Center
LHoney17: lol....well that's a nice way to think of it
KizzMyBlakAzz: with like a hard choclate shell
LHoney17: think I'll put that in a personal ad
KizzMyBlakAzz: You're a Rollo
LHoney17: lmao
KizzMyBlakAzz: lmao

When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won. There have been tyrants and murderers
and for a time they seem invincible but in the end, they always fall -- think of it, ALWAYS. ~~Mahatma Gandhi

~~~~

Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #17860 Previous topic | Next topic