Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #34324

Subject: "Are the Roots a hip hop version of the Clash?" Previous topic | Next topic
punkhopjazcee
Member since Oct 03rd 2005
5239 posts
Tue Nov-01-05 11:47 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Are the Roots a hip hop version of the Clash?"
Thu Nov-03-05 03:46 PM by okpdan

Hey socially and politically concious lyrics and the best drummer in the music biz are two things they've got in common.

I see the underground hip hop of today to my generation as what punk rock was for my father's generation. I just wanted to get some feedback on that, i know there are some pretty obvious differences but think about the similarities. Hip hop's history so far has had some paralells to rock's history, has it not?

Anybody else wanna sound off on this question?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
gtfoohwtbs
Nov 02nd 2005
uh,
Nov 02nd 2005
RE: uh,
Nov 03rd 2005
On TTP
Nov 02nd 2005
co-sign Guns are drawn
Nov 02nd 2005
RE: Ill give you three songs!!!
Nov 05th 2005
the chimes on "Why" and "Armagideon Time" are the closest link
Nov 02nd 2005
RE: the chimes on "Why" and "Armagideon Time" are the closest link
Nov 04th 2005
RE: Are the Roots a hip hop version of the Clash?
Nov 02nd 2005
i hope that they're not
Nov 02nd 2005
Nov 02nd 2005
Joe Strummer invented stutter rapping.
Nov 02nd 2005
      Joe Strummer continued stutter rapping.
Nov 03rd 2005
           nah yo, Joe Strummer was RAPPING when he stuttered. The Who were singing...
Nov 03rd 2005
Nov 02nd 2005
Nov 02nd 2005
up cause the update link doesnt work
Nov 03rd 2005
All right
Nov 03rd 2005
Nov 03rd 2005
Nov 03rd 2005
they *could* be, but theyve reached "the tipping point"
Nov 03rd 2005
Good pt.
Nov 03rd 2005
      the roots are bt and quest
Nov 07th 2005
Nov 04th 2005
Nov 04th 2005
Nov 06th 2005
who are the clash ?.......seriously
Nov 06th 2005
lol.
Nov 07th 2005
this is interesting.
Nov 07th 2005
Nov 07th 2005
Nov 07th 2005
Nov 07th 2005
Nov 07th 2005
WTH?
Nov 07th 2005
      I disagree
Nov 08th 2005
      I dunno
Nov 09th 2005
      considering that Rancid is the biggest copy-cat of the Clash... this doe...
Nov 09th 2005
      RE: WTH?
Nov 09th 2005
           Maybe...
Nov 09th 2005

MuZiK Macks
Member since Nov 07th 2003
5078 posts
Wed Nov-02-05 12:01 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "gtfoohwtbs"
In response to Reply # 0

seriously.

?uest is good but even he would say that he isnt the greatest drummer ever, and niether was the clashes drummer (dont get me wrong, they are both tight but you are stanning for real)

and dude, I love black thought, but what was the last really politically concious rhyme that he dropped? dude mostly raps about how much better he is than you.

and I am a HUGE roots fan, dont get me wrong, but yall get caught up on these type of comparisons

http://twitter.com/VanGTFOH

shockzilla
Charter member
37800 posts
Wed Nov-02-05 12:20 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "uh,"
In response to Reply # 1

not that i support the rather inane 'the clash' comparison

but

riq is far from that one-dimensional

MuZiK Macks
Member since Nov 07th 2003
5078 posts
Thu Nov-03-05 08:17 PM

15. "RE: uh,"
In response to Reply # 2

I know black thought isnt thaaaaat one deminsional, ok hes not at all. and i dont know what i was smokin that day, but the clash comparison, is...well there is no comparison

http://twitter.com/VanGTFOH

punkhopjazcee
5239 posts
Wed Nov-02-05 12:24 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "On TTP"
In response to Reply # 1

Guns are drawn, Star, Why?

The Clash were cocky too.

Real_Talk
Member since Oct 28th 2005
66 posts
Wed Nov-02-05 01:27 PM

8. "co-sign Guns are drawn"
In response to Reply # 3

i luv that song
great replay vaule to.

Bitch is you smokin reefer ?!!
- Kanye West

vandole
Member since Oct 21st 2004
630 posts
Sat Nov-05-05 05:22 AM

24. "RE: Ill give you three songs!!!"
In response to Reply # 1

1-Guns are drawn;
2-Why;
3-duck down.

http://www.looptroop.nu/

http://www.myspace.com/lukwimbe
http://diarydoprojectokamfulado.blogspot.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lukwimbe/show/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/projectokamfulado/show/

Kanimambo

TotalRequestloveLive
Charter member
5626 posts
Wed Nov-02-05 02:21 AM

4. "the chimes on "Why" and "Armagideon Time" are the closest link"
In response to Reply # 0

Well first off, I mean while I think is a bit hastey to say that ?uestlove is hands down the best drummer in music today... at least I've heard it said before. But to say that Topper Headon was the best of his time... I've never heard of such an opinion much less thought about it. Topper was nasty, dont get me wrong, but I dont know about this claim you're making here.

I'd say if anything.. in order to be "the clash of hip hop" or the clash of anything really you have to look at a group's musical and lyrical progression. I'd say the formula would have to be as follows

1)The group would have to start out cutting edge and mold breaking, but ultimately their early work is rigidly within the essence of whatever genra they're in. (Even if they helped define what that genra is) In other words, the clash were straight ahead punk in the early days.

2)The group outgrows the genra they defined. They start to experiment outside of the lines of said genra, and mix in different sounds with that original sound.

3)The group's experimentation again defines a certain "sound," and they're no longer mixing in different elements into the first genra, but simply creating creating gerna-defying music.

I mean that is a crude way to break this down, but I think it'll do. I don't know if the roots fit that mold at all. I mean I suppose you could say that The roots started off the essence of what an organic hip hop band would be on Organix, and then began to experiment (illadelph- try to sound like samples; TFA- encorporate drum and bass into live hip hop; Phrenology- what does a hip hop band sound like when they try to rock; TTP- organic group sounding inorganic with the stortch beats) Don't hold that quick little roots summary against me, but I feel like we all know where and how the roots have experimented and encorporated otehr genras and sounds into their own.

Ultimately however, as original as the roots are... they are more original in approach, technique, and in method, than in outcome. Example: Illadelph Halflife isn't as unique SOUNDING, as was uniquely RECORDED. Don't get me wrong, they do things that nobody ever has, and they've been the first to do a lot of shit. They're pioneers, and while they certainly have some unique songs in their catelogue, at the end of the day, you could agrue that the roots make unique HIP HOP music, while The Clash were making unique MUSIC. Sure You Got Me is astounding if only for the drum and bass at the end, but its still a hip hop song. I don't know what the fuck you'd call something like the Clash's "Straight to Hell."

I think that the only sutable group to be "The Clash of Hip Hop" is OutKast.

They started off Straight ahead hip-hop, while helping to define the soutehr sound. They moved to perfecting their brand of hip hop, while branching out beyond their regional sound. Started to make some one of a kind sounding, never ever to be heard again type shit, and then penned shit like BOB and Ghettomuzik which simply is in a brand by itself. Outkast arent as as political Joe Strummer, but they're about as political as Thought most days of the week.

I don't really like either comparison, but I'd say (for what it counts of course, which isnt much,) OutKast is the Clash of Hip Hop... uh, maybe.

Until the roots can keep up with the Clash's Punk-Rockabilly-Reggae-Rock-n-Roll-Dub-Showtunes-Prog.rock-hiphop-newwave-world-disco I don't think we have to have this discussion again

With that said the Roots are doing some thangs.

peace,
TotalRequestloveLive

Mtg Ppl is EZ
Member since Feb 29th 2004
118 posts
Fri Nov-04-05 12:49 AM

21. "RE: the chimes on "Why" and "Armagideon Time" are the closest link"
In response to Reply # 4

Not really feeling the Roots or OutKast comparisons here. What about hip-hop artists who encompassed the Clash's attitude, not just mirroring their career? I think the most obvious choice here is PE.

http://www.myspace.com/aglioolio

kicksnarehats
Member since Jul 15th 2005
903 posts
Wed Nov-02-05 03:23 AM

5. "RE: Are the Roots a hip hop version of the Clash?"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Nov-02-05 03:25 AM by kicksnarehats

The clash ended in a rockstar plane crash of cocaine and glitz. By the end of their career the executives owened their asses and their sound. I don't see the roots going down this path. The clash has always been one of my top 5 favorite punk bands for about 6 or 7 years now but I don't think their career is at all comparable to the roots. I do agree that both bands have tried a huge amount of different sounds but for some reason i can compare them. Also topper headon is a huge influence to me as a drummer, but his shit never made me think about musicality like ?uests stuff does. Topper never really directed the clash like ?uest directs the roots. Topper was a great drummer but there were better punk drummers *cough* bill stevenson *cough* robo *cough* chuck biscuits *cough*

"Perfection is not attained when you can't add anymore, perfection is attained when you can't take anymore away."

www.nickbrandeauphoto.com
www.lightstalkers.org/nickbrandeau

alindenver
Member since Dec 03rd 2004
742 posts
Wed Nov-02-05 10:44 AM

6. "i hope that they're not"
In response to Reply # 0

because as good as the clash was, their entire image and sound (at least in their later days) was dictated by mangers, record execs, etc. the roots have shown me so far that they have their own vision and aren't willing to compromise for any labels (see geffen) or anyone's ideas of what hip-hop should be.

"when's the last time you heard a funky diabetic?"

cville75
Member since Oct 05th 2005
1212 posts
Wed Nov-02-05 11:21 AM

7. "RE: Are the Roots a hip hop version of the Clash?"
In response to Reply # 0

prolly not, but i would love to see how they covered "The Magnificent Seven"

anyone agree?

<----They WILL carry the cross

TotalRequestloveLive
Charter member
5626 posts
Wed Nov-02-05 01:45 PM

9. "Joe Strummer invented stutter rapping."
In response to Reply # 7

Say bu-bu-bu-buy to the bus

RoundKid
Member since Mar 11th 2005
16 posts
Thu Nov-03-05 09:35 PM

18. "Joe Strummer continued stutter rapping."
In response to Reply # 9

it was invented by Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend of The Who.

I'm not trying to cause a big S-S-S-S-Sensation
Just talking 'bout my G-G-G-G-Generation

TotalRequestloveLive
Charter member
5626 posts
Thu Nov-03-05 10:54 PM

20. "nah yo, Joe Strummer was RAPPING when he stuttered. The Who were singing..."
In response to Reply # 18

soul_central
Member since Jan 01st 2004
59 posts
Wed Nov-02-05 03:32 PM

10. "RE: Are the Roots a hip hop version of the Clash?"
In response to Reply # 0

NOPE.

Playlist Selection-
Eddie Hinton-Playin' Around
Bobby Charles-The Bearsville Album
Doris Duke-I'm A Loser
Irma Thomas-Inbetween Tears
Miles Davis-In A Silent Way

mikeh
Member since Feb 22nd 2005
210 posts
Wed Nov-02-05 03:58 PM

11. "RE: Are the Roots a hip hop version of the Clash?"
In response to Reply # 0

topper headen was good, but nowhere near the best in the biz (in his time or beyond).

TotalRequestloveLive
Charter member
5626 posts
Thu Nov-03-05 02:01 PM

12. "up cause the update link doesnt work"
In response to Reply # 0

punkhopjazcee
5239 posts
Thu Nov-03-05 03:38 PM

13. "All right"
In response to Reply # 0

The comparisons are more deep than that, i was just asking a question you don't have to call me a cracker. I'm taking this over to a new post

ziggystardust
Member since Jul 12th 2005
57 posts
Thu Nov-03-05 05:29 PM

14. "RE: Are the Roots a hip hop version of the Clash?"
In response to Reply # 0

probably in attitude, though i belive the Clash had a universal compromise, i dunno if the Roots has that yet, Clash could talk about problems in Japan (Straight to hell), Southamerica (Sandinista), Europe, like I said the Roots are more local...

There is still a lot of stuff that links the Clash with hiphop, Grandmaster Flash opened The Clash a coupple of concerts in America.

punkhopjazcee
5239 posts
Thu Nov-03-05 08:42 PM

16. "RE: Are the Roots a hip hop version of the Clash?"
In response to Reply # 0

Can we please get some OkayArtists comments on this stuff? Specifically the Roots, ?uest i know you read this shit.

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Thu Nov-03-05 09:05 PM

17. "they *could* be, but theyve reached "the tipping point""
In response to Reply # 0

replace black thought w/ com or even better mos def, and get em to groove more then get into the jazz stuff and they'd be on it, imo

(i am by no means saying for blk thought to REALLY be booted for com or mos, im saying IF)

punkhopjazcee
5239 posts
Thu Nov-03-05 10:22 PM

19. "Good pt."
In response to Reply # 17

Hey BT is the man, but you gotta wonder what they would sound like w/ someone else.

codewarrior
Charter member
1860 posts
Mon Nov-07-05 12:58 AM

27. "the roots are bt and quest"
In response to Reply # 19

don't get it twisted. its drum and voice, always has and probably always will. they should do a concept album on that.

AreSuu
Member since Sep 11th 2005
445 posts
Fri Nov-04-05 02:05 AM

22. "RE: Are the Roots a hip hop version of the Clash?"
In response to Reply # 0

I don't know how much anyone's ever gotten into Hardcore/Punk underground ish but I used to be into the scene pretty heavy and I've always said to my brother that there's SO many comparisons between the two scenes. This article was so hilarious to me not only because its just plain funny but because its exactly what I'm talking about. The SAME ish could come out of any hardcore/punk kids mouth. There are tons of backpackers/scenesters in hc.

Check this article for a laugh even if you don't know what I'm talking about.

http://www.hiphop-blogs.com/hiphop/2005/06/how_to_handle_a.html

¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶

RAPSPACK
Member since Oct 31st 2005
9 posts
Fri Nov-04-05 10:24 AM

23. "RE: Are the Roots a hip hop version of the Clash?"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Nov-04-05 10:45 AM by RAPSPACK

The roots might be the last of what hip-hop represents as punk. No real political messages. But if you want to look at them as representing the left to hip-hop's gangster right, yeah, they are punk. But not the Clash.

rootsclash
Member since Nov 06th 2005
2 posts
Sun Nov-06-05 06:28 PM

25. "RE: Are the Roots a hip hop version of the Clash?"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm loving every freaking minute of this discussion. Two of my favorite bands being mentioned together. I think Public Enemy is more like the clash in message and dealing with broad topics. But that means no dis to the Roots as I have been an OKPlayer for since 98

Biggs

Mike Check
Member since Aug 11th 2005
5731 posts
Sun Nov-06-05 06:46 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via ICQ
26. "who are the clash ?.......seriously"
In response to Reply # 0

for being a white boy i dont know jack about rock....basically hate it...except for late 60's early 70s stuff just cause my moms and pops are into that kinda stuff.....

with that being said i hate rock....with that being said i hate urban radio.....

kinetic94761180
Member since Jul 05th 2002
17857 posts
Mon Nov-07-05 01:01 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
28. "lol."
In response to Reply # 26

Rjcc is code for "bitch-ass troll"

DROkayplayerâ„¢

kinetic94761180
Member since Jul 05th 2002
17857 posts
Mon Nov-07-05 01:02 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
29. "this is interesting."
In response to Reply # 0

Rjcc is code for "bitch-ass troll"

DROkayplayerâ„¢

ANKHOLOGIA
Member since Nov 07th 2005
1 posts
Mon Nov-07-05 06:56 AM

30. "RE: Are the Roots a hip hop version of the Clash?"
In response to Reply # 0

>Hey socially and politically concious lyrics and the best
>drummer in the music biz are two things they've got in
>common.
>
>I see the underground hip hop of today to my generation as
>what punk rock was for my father's generation. I just wanted
>to get some feedback on that, i know there are some pretty
>obvious differences but think about the similarities. Hip
>hop's history so far has had some paralells to rock's history,
>has it not?
>
>Anybody else wanna sound off on this question?

Think Evolutionary not Revolutionary, Evolve Youself.
I see hiphop nowadays goin'to a very wrong direction, punkmusic has always ramained the same, tha's why they still have a very consistent movement, not contradictory to its followers, they still defending the same idiology as back in the latest 70's. Hiphop on the other hand has left its basic principles, even though some still fighting to keep it together, to me punk music will always keep its roots intact, reflecting the atittude of its followers while hiphop will break apart (if we don't act)reflecting the media media spotlights.

kicksnarehats
Member since Jul 15th 2005
903 posts
Mon Nov-07-05 07:18 AM

31. "RE: Are the Roots a hip hop version of the Clash?"
In response to Reply # 30

This is some true shit. I gotta say i've been in the punk scene for awhile know and we have alot of problems, punk rock is getting tooled by the media also. One of the bands in my oppinion that really helped put punk down a bad direction was pennywise. Saddly those cats arefrom my hometown even went to the same high school as me. They really brought the "cool bro punk rock" trend in =/

"Perfection is not attained when you can't add anymore, perfection is attained when you can't take anymore away."

www.nickbrandeauphoto.com
www.lightstalkers.org/nickbrandeau

onetakedizzle
Charter member

32. "RE: Are the Roots a hip hop version of the Clash?"
In response to Reply # 0

I've always wanted to hear The Roots cover Train in Vain.

Keondra B
Member since Nov 14th 2002
494 posts
Mon Nov-07-05 09:44 AM

33. "RE: Are the Roots a hip hop version of the Clash?"
In response to Reply # 32

I would love to hear Armagideon Time or anything that has Dub influences...that'd be dope. just imagine that shit

kb

Jazzyfatnastees
Let It Be Mine

In the deck:
Jazzyfatnastees-Let It Be Mine
Fugees-"Take It Easy"
Nina Simone-"Do What You Gotta Do"
Stiffed-Burned Again
Kudu-"Red Light Green Light"
The Slack Republic-"Overcompensating"
G*A*M*E* Rebellion-Trapped and new shit

www.jazzyfatnastees.com
www.stiffedmusic.com
www.myspace.com/stiffed

punkhopjazcee
5239 posts
Mon Nov-07-05 10:38 AM

34. "WTH?"
In response to Reply # 32

Don't mention Springsteen in the same breath as any great musicians, we don't need to degrade anybody.

mesthebronzeman
Member since Oct 21st 2004
95 posts
Tue Nov-08-05 09:30 AM

35. "I disagree"
In response to Reply # 34

at first i was like "hell yeah" on first thought, but with the points other people have brought up i'd say the roots are much more of a rancid type punk (never "selling out" to use that horrible term, but im not liking their new albums as much) they have genrally political songs but no deep concious songs, topics can be drawn in comparison though, general disscussion of street life, drugs etc without glorifying it the clash don't really have any comparison and there is no way in hell topper headon was the best drummer around, i hope that wasn't a school of rock quote you took that from :p In terms of the political messages i'd say the Roots could be more compared with the skinhead Oi bands of the 80's, Sham69, cocksparrer, The exploited - pro nationalist (not racist, loadsa people get skinheads and boneheads/hammerskins mixed up (black empowerment kinda idea for the roots)

punkhopjazcee
5239 posts
Wed Nov-09-05 10:54 AM

36. "I dunno"
In response to Reply # 35

Their latest two albums are better than there earlier stuff to me, i didn't find TFA as good as their last two. The songs lost their live energy in the studio, whereas the songs on their two latest albums did not.

TotalRequestloveLive
Charter member
5626 posts
Wed Nov-09-05 04:32 PM

39. "considering that Rancid is the biggest copy-cat of the Clash... this doe..."
In response to Reply # 35

I mean I don't think that any band similarity is stronger in music. Not the Weezer/Pixies, not the DropkickMurphys/Pogues. Nothing. Rancid's entire career is the Clash

onetakedizzle
Charter member

37. "RE: WTH?"
In response to Reply # 34

WTH? Right back at you fool. Don't mention Bruce Springsteen next to any other great artists?! Are you mad? The man is maybe the greatest American songwriter and Born to Run is arguably the greatest album ever made amongst people who actually know music. Here's an example of the Boss mentioned next to other great artists.
The Beatles: 12
Bruce Springsteen: 10
Bob Dylan: 9
Those were the three artists with the highest number of albums on Rolling Stone's list of the 500 greatest albums ever made.

He pull's back, he shoots, he scores!!!! Onetakedizzle wins again!

To be fair, the match was a little one sided because you obviously have no clue what the hell you're talking about.

...I crown thee Sofa King Retarded!

punkhopjazcee
5239 posts
Wed Nov-09-05 02:50 PM

38. "Maybe..."
In response to Reply # 37

He's a good songwriter, but his voice turns me OFF!!!!

Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #34324 Previous topic | Next topic