Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #30633

Subject: "Common- "I'm back muthafucka's, I'm back muthafucka's..."" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
CosbyCoop
Member since Sep 25th 2002
4803 posts
Tue Mar-01-05 01:04 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Common- "I'm back muthafucka's, I'm back muthafucka's...""

I recently tuned into Kanye, John Legend, Common, and Kweli on AOL music, pre-grammy type shit...The Video is dope, for ya'll that haven't checked it out, you should...but what I've been thinking about is when common came out to do his new single Corners he said "I'm back muthafucka's...." hmmm, I started thinking to myself, why is one of the most respected MC of our time yellin' that, like he's been gone for a minute, or has been outta the loop...Do you feel Common may believe after he released Electric Circus he lost some of his hardcore fan base, his RESURRECTION Fanbase, the cats that grew up with the common that appealed more to the streets than to experimental hip hop...? I myself enjoyed electric circus, and thought it was a bold move that needed to be made in hip hop, but i do feel it def lacked what 'CORNERS' is providing, takin' it back to the street corner, where he did not take it on Electric...I'm just tryin to get in depth with what ya'll think the new album is gonna be like...cause I know I missed the street appeal that was always present on every album cept' for E.C...and I really felt like he wanted to let cats know that he's back to what he perfected on his previous albums...street poetry, that he didn't forget about he can verbally kill most MC's these days...is this album a rebirth?

or am I fucking crazy?

(((c'mere.)))

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Common- "I'm back muthafucka's, I'm back muthafucka's..."
Mar 01st 2005
Mar 01st 2005
those drums sounds...
Mar 01st 2005
no doubt....
Mar 01st 2005
      RE: no doubt....
Mar 01st 2005
I always personally hated the talk of Common being gone
Mar 01st 2005
same here...
Mar 01st 2005
on the other hand, from a carreer stand point
Mar 01st 2005
      great point...
Mar 01st 2005
      RE: on the other hand, from a carreer stand point
Mar 03rd 2005
cosign!
Mar 01st 2005
Mar 01st 2005
yea, thats why I said I was crazy....
Mar 01st 2005
      RE: yea, thats why I said I was crazy....
Mar 01st 2005
           those drums
Mar 01st 2005
                RE: those drums
Mar 01st 2005
Common's respone the following day
Mar 02nd 2005
so thats what artist do" look back"
Mar 02nd 2005
EC was/is/will always be HOT
Mar 02nd 2005
SEEEEEEEEEEE!
Mar 02nd 2005
what was so hard to figure out about that?
Mar 03rd 2005
      lol-
Mar 04th 2005
      wasn't hard.....
Mar 04th 2005
Damn yo, why is it
Mar 02nd 2005
Electric Circus...
Mar 02nd 2005
RE: Electric Circus...
Mar 02nd 2005
      thank you
Mar 04th 2005
because hip-hop 'heads' only listen to beats n/m
Mar 03rd 2005
      RE: because hip-hop 'heads' only listen to beats n/m
Mar 07th 2005

rushpac
Charter member
542 posts
Tue Mar-01-05 01:20 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: Common- "I'm back muthafucka's, I'm back muthafucka's...""
In response to Reply # 0

Absolutely. He lost a lot of folks with EC. Myself included. Com has been my favorite MC since "Soul by the Pound" remix. He lost me with Electric though. I really feel he is taking it back where it needs to be. I think Quest might have had him on that super duper artsy Eric Bonet of rap type shit. I'm glad to see him on that "I'm from the Chi and I rip you one tip" I can't wait.

I just want to get Jesse Jackson in the ring and beat the shit out him. (c) Commons Pops.

Fuck Jesse Jackson. (c) Cedric the Entertainer.

numark216
Member since Oct 27th 2004
9302 posts
Tue Mar-01-05 01:22 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "RE: Common- "I'm back muthafucka's, I'm back muthafucka's...""
In response to Reply # 1

yeah well theres no greater comeback than having the last poets on your ish. and those kanye drums are sick.

----------------------------

Young, restless, talk so reckless

CosbyCoop
4803 posts
Tue Mar-01-05 01:28 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "those drums sounds..."
In response to Reply # 2

make me think of the corner...puts me right there.

(((c'mere.)))

CosbyCoop
4803 posts
Tue Mar-01-05 01:26 PM

3. "no doubt...."
In response to Reply # 1

i myself enjoyed E.C. mainly cause' of Quest's produciton on it...I can't wait to see what else the album is going to bring, I've been killin' corners for weeks, and its refreshing, cause I almost feel like Common is REALLY comfortable, really in his groove wit this record....not to say he wasn't on E.C...I just feel like he wants to make muthafucka's remember he's the truth, and there aren't too many lyricist out there that can touch him...

(((c'mere.)))

rushpac
Charter member
542 posts
Tue Mar-01-05 01:32 PM

5. "RE: no doubt...."
In response to Reply # 3

You're right he seems really comfortable. He's back in his element. He has been a little out of element since LWFC. Now he sounds like a hungry Southside Chicagoan again.

I just want to get Jesse Jackson in the ring and beat the shit out him. (c) Commons Pops.

Fuck Jesse Jackson. (c) Cedric the Entertainer.

okpdan
Member since Aug 12th 2003
2452 posts
Tue Mar-01-05 02:00 PM

6. "I always personally hated the talk of Common being gone"
In response to Reply # 0

i guess im just not really a proponent of the "you're only as good as your last record" mentality... although i do understand why people say that. Also, I liked EC just because it was interesting and unlike anything I had heard before it. Plus, if you listen to it... lyrically, Com puts it down on that album. I always just looked at it is, well that's one piece of art from Common and whatever he comes with next will be something different again. Whether it be more like his earlier stuff or something as envelope pushing as EC. It's too bad that in this industry, it doesn't at all work like that.

CosbyCoop
4803 posts
Tue Mar-01-05 02:07 PM

7. "same here..."
In response to Reply # 6

i dont like to talk as if he was ever gone, or fell off, cause' I don't think he did on E.C....I guess what I'm really lookin; for is if he feels that backlash cause he made E.C....and maybe why he felt it was neccessary to state that...

(((c'mere.)))

okpdan
Member since Aug 12th 2003
2452 posts
Tue Mar-01-05 03:47 PM

9. "on the other hand, from a carreer stand point"
In response to Reply # 7

you cant be making such experimental records and see your album sales drop like that and still expect to be signed! sad, but true. so in a sense, com and his management we're probably like ... "we better get back to the more straight ahead isht or we're about to be left out, nevermind left of center" ...

CosbyCoop
4803 posts
Tue Mar-01-05 04:03 PM

10. "great point..."
In response to Reply # 9

but I do def feel that common needed to express tha side of life, cause' he's always had it in and would on every album i'd find myself like..damn that was nuts..and with EC he just went all out with it...I jus get the feelin' that this album will really set him apart from the crowd, it will TRULY define him, even more than LWFC did...and that album is a classic...gonna be a album with multiple sides of him but will connect with his old school fans...i think.lol.

(((c'mere.)))

eyekon the python
Member since Mar 16th 2004
929 posts
Thu Mar-03-05 07:20 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
23. "RE: on the other hand, from a carreer stand point"
In response to Reply # 9

The thing is though that even Corners isn't straight down the middle in comparison to what the middle is right now. I mean it has an old school drum line and spoken word poetry after every hook, that's not along the lines of anything else that's on the radio right now. I love what he's doing he's toward more traditional hip-hop but not getting to plain with it. An album full of Corners, and The Food will be welcomed though I've like everything that he's released previously.

I haven't been excited about a release in a minute and I'm truly excited about BE.

MU
Member since Nov 10th 2002
454 posts
Tue Mar-01-05 03:19 PM

8. "cosign!"
In response to Reply # 6

EC is a great album. I still bump that in my car!

-----------------------------
www.myspace.com/murat3
www.myspace.com/yoyocuts
www.radyoyo.si
www.muratjose.si

Sawkrahteez
Member since Nov 28th 2004
235 posts
Tue Mar-01-05 05:51 PM

11. "RE: Common- "I'm back muthafucka's, I'm back muthafucka's...""
In response to Reply # 0

>I recently tuned into Kanye, John Legend, Common, and Kweli
>on AOL music, pre-grammy type shit...The Video is dope, for
>ya'll that haven't checked it out, you should...but what
>I've been thinking about is when common came out to do his
>new single Corners he said "I'm back muthafucka's...." hmmm,
>I started thinking to myself, why is one of the most
>respected MC of our time yellin' that, like he's been gone
>for a minute, or has been outta the loop...Do you feel
>Common may believe after he released Electric Circus he lost
>some of his hardcore fan base, his RESURRECTION Fanbase, the
>cats that grew up with the common that appealed more to the
>streets than to experimental hip hop...? I myself enjoyed
>electric circus, and thought it was a bold move that needed
>to be made in hip hop, but i do feel it def lacked what
>'CORNERS' is providing, takin' it back to the street corner,
>where he did not take it on Electric...I'm just tryin to get
>in depth with what ya'll think the new album is gonna be
>like...cause I know I missed the street appeal that was
>always present on every album cept' for E.C...and I really
>felt like he wanted to let cats know that he's back to what
>he perfected on his previous albums...street poetry, that he
>didn't forget about he can verbally kill most MC's these
>days...is this album a rebirth?
>
>
>or am I fucking crazy?

or maybe your just reading too much into it and Common was just talkin about being back after performing Get Em High, considering he elft the stage to let Kweli do his thing on "Get By"

www.myspace.com/zen1ne

CosbyCoop
4803 posts
Tue Mar-01-05 05:58 PM

12. "yea, thats why I said I was crazy...."
In response to Reply # 11

cause' it def seemed like a crowd amper....coming back out..but I wanted to post, see if anyone else had any thoughts...makes sense tho...

(((c'mere.)))

Sawkrahteez
Member since Nov 28th 2004
235 posts
Tue Mar-01-05 06:06 PM

13. "RE: yea, thats why I said I was crazy...."
In response to Reply # 12

lol. yea. but i definitely feel Com is chasing the ghost of Ressurrection. From the sounds of The Corner it seems so. Its definitely gritty, gives me that '94 feel.

www.myspace.com/zen1ne

CosbyCoop
4803 posts
Tue Mar-01-05 06:09 PM

14. "those drums"
In response to Reply # 13

are what got me...kanye hooked it up...and the last poets blessed it too...to say i'm excited is an understatement.

(((c'mere.)))

GeniusPhotos
Member since Feb 28th 2005
51 posts
Tue Mar-01-05 09:50 PM

15. "RE: those drums"
In response to Reply # 14

thats all that needed to be said about the corners right there.

hot track, cats aint ready for common to come full circle and do it all over again.

plus EC was a great album that closeminded ppl couldnt get with.

www.nabilphotography.com
www.saulwilliams.com
http://genius.thepraktis.com

"Anyone who likes my art is a
masochist." - Pablo Picasso
"Got to get this paper, I'm down for
the caper, we steady on the grind. It's
a daily struggle, we all gotta hu

BKyle
Charter member
2923 posts
Wed Mar-02-05 07:07 AM

16. "Common's respone the following day"
In response to Reply # 0

The following day, I walked in the living room and instead of saying WASUP Rashid, I said, "I'M BACK MOTHAFUCKUGHS!!" We laughed, and I continued with, "Dude. I KNOW you stunned people with that one". 2 hours later when we got to the studio, we walked in and Kanye joking shouts, "I'm back Mothafuckaaaaazzz!".

he went on to state: ~this is NOT a DIRECT quote~

When I said "I'm back". I know it aint like I been away somewhere for a while, I meant it to mean, like, I'M back... the hip hop music in me is back, the MC is back. It's like, I don't wear the clothes I used to wear, the music is more rugged hip hop, I'm just BACK to the essence of hip hop. So I meant it to mean I'm back The Electric Circus album was a departure for me. it was like an experiment. it was hard as shit to rhyme over those beats because they were so complicated and stuff... but I needed that to evolve and grow as an MC. So after getting that, like, out of my system, that's what has me be able to see where i wanna go.... which is back to the real raw hip-hop. So, like, I'm back motha fuckughs. I'm back. That's why I named the album "B-Boy Evolution". "BE." I grew and I had to have my craft come full circle. ~started making a circle pattern in front of him with his finger~ like I started here, made albums, and then (at the top of the circle) Electric Circus was like theee FUUURTHEST out there for me. Then I did the Food, did more beats with Kanye, did some stuff with JadaKiss, and felt myself able to dig in again, bringing myself BACK to the essence on some raw hip hop b-boy shit. Besides, they'll see what I mean whenI say I'M BACK. They'll see it.

There ya have it. He's back mothafuckaz! lol. That shit is still funny to me... regardless of what his reasonongs are. LOLOL.

Brian 'B.Kyle' Atkins

~ ignore my sig until I change it ~

http://www.youtube.com/user/BKyle215
Subscribe now, and be among the 1st to peep the exclusive hip-hop stuff!!! B.Kyle Style!

thembi
Member since Feb 05th 2003
9009 posts
Wed Mar-02-05 07:13 AM

17. "so thats what artist do" look back""
In response to Reply # 16

i read somewhere that the roots upcoming album will be in the realm of "do you want more".

it wouldve been wild if he wouldve continue on the path ec but dude gotta eat.

and i mean wild in a good way

the world is a toll-free toilet-george clinton

GROOVEPHI
Charter member
10630 posts
Wed Mar-02-05 07:41 AM

18. "EC was/is/will always be HOT"

but i like the LWFC/One day common better, and this new shit is HOT.

CosbyCoop
4803 posts
Wed Mar-02-05 08:01 AM

19. "SEEEEEEEEEEE!"

im not crazy...I KNEW SUMTHIN' WAS BEHIND IT....lol...thank B...As corny as it sounds as soon as he said I felt that shit, like HELL YEA...after he made the food I was fiending for the next track and I think he has come full circle...from this one dayum song...whats that jadakiss sound like, is that finna to be on the album?

(((c'mere.)))

iKilan
Member since Nov 01st 2004
66873 posts
Thu Mar-03-05 07:53 PM

25. "what was so hard to figure out about that?"

that shit was common sense ( pun intended)

<-- exits a post like...

betelgeuse
Member since May 13th 2003
4750 posts
Fri Mar-04-05 02:15 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
26. "lol-"
In response to Reply # 25

you beat me to that.

■ you're darn tootin'
■ okayplayer since 2000

CosbyCoop
4803 posts
Fri Mar-04-05 09:17 AM

28. "wasn't hard....."
In response to Reply # 25

pretty sad pun my friend....but nah...watch the video...don't think you quite understand what i was talkin' bout'...i dunno what he meant, like that other cat said, about coming back after get em' high...but I looked a bit more into it...

(((c'mere.)))

neehiii
Member since Dec 14th 2002
1109 posts
Wed Mar-02-05 10:17 AM

20. "Damn yo, why is it"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Mar-02-05 10:25 AM

noone REALLY sees the ONLY REAL difference between EC & his previous albums is the fucking TRACKS? His flow & lyrics are still QUITE similar. This n-ggy ain't fell off, people need to stop acting like this mofo went & straight made a STRICTLY "classical or rock album", sans lyrics.

He bought "Vice Lords & Folks & Stony Island" to a BOOMBASTIC level - he TALKED about living, STILL.

This ain't a letter leveled at the poster, just to those who diss EC in general.

Even during EC's release, he was doing white label things very reminiscent of what he's always done. Folks, come-the-fuk on. Listen.

call me mad doggie or whatever, its just straight truth.

Just sayin

Mentally universal.
Physically eternal.
The beautifull part of this?
WE are.

Happiness is a DECISION one
makes.

CosbyCoop
4803 posts
Wed Mar-02-05 12:39 PM

21. "Electric Circus..."
In response to Reply # 20

I agree was no doubt a great album that needed to be made...his flow remained tight on the album, but he def headed into another world with E.C....musically mostly, but lyrically as well...his subject matter changed a bit....and by no means am I sayin that is wrong, I loved it, but I can see where cats were upset by the album....I see your point mayne, but I also see why cats felt like he fell off....you gotta be a hardcore common fan to truly understand what he was going for on EC...tellin' these 28 29 year olds to dig EC is sumthin' they have a hard time doin'....the promotional company I worked for, my two supervisors, the CEO's....love common, grew up with him on soul by the pound, and to them when they heard EC they were Like WTF is this? this isnt the common I fell in love with...so that is why I also feel what they sayin'.....it shocked those common fans.

(((c'mere.)))

scoma
Member since Jan 22nd 2004
520 posts
Wed Mar-02-05 06:08 PM

22. "RE: Electric Circus..."
In response to Reply # 21

I thought that EC was one of his best albums. I remember when I first heard it I was sitting there jumping up and down like a fool crazy excited like " Damn this dude done took his shit to another place. I like the corners song but I acually think that its not a great single. I feel like alot of times when artist try to do something different and elevate their style they get shut down if it dosen't sound like what people are used to hearing from them.(Talib anyone)
I know people are going to say that Talib (BS) and Commons(EC) isn't as hot as their other stuff but me personally I think that they are going in the right direction

www.itakks.com

Perfect your dating game at www.mrlocario.com. Go to www.mrlocario.com for all of your sex, dating and relationship advice

thembi
Member since Feb 05th 2003
9009 posts
Fri Mar-04-05 05:55 AM

27. "thank you"
In response to Reply # 22

i like ec was there for the ec tour common was a fool on that album think that the next album is going to be on some wild wild shit but like i said niggas aint goin for that and common wouldnt make any money

the world is a toll-free toilet-george clinton

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Thu Mar-03-05 07:45 PM

24. "because hip-hop 'heads' only listen to beats n/m"
In response to Reply # 20

____
http://spiritequality.blogspot.com/

HIP-HOP IS BACK ON DC RADIO!! WPFW 89.3 FM, Mon-Fri, 11pm-midnight (don't sleep! literally!)

http://www.freedommag.org/english/vol29I4/page04.htm - holla at dipset and tell em how deep jim jones' name really is...click the link, fam. take the red pill.

http://costofwar.com/index-kids-health.html - why it's smarter to be anti-war

http://www.mega.nu:8080/ampp/webb.html - CIA got that work

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com

chaostheory
Charter member
19 posts
Mon Mar-07-05 10:10 AM

29. "RE: because hip-hop 'heads' only listen to beats n/m"
In response to Reply # 24

I look forward to this new com stuff SO MUCH.

I think I am the charter member with the fewest posts on this board, of those who ever took the time to post. Common owns.

Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #30633 Previous topic | Next topic