Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson The Lesson Archives topic #78556

Subject: "Yesterday's New Quintet" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
N1
Charter member
262 posts
Wed Sep-19-01 09:30 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Yesterday's New Quintet"

These kats have been around for a hott sec., and I'm sure some of you Okayplayers is down with them or know of them. The album dropped and it is off-the-f'n-hook. It just encompasses so much flavor and originality that its hard to put into words. I am impressed! MadLib is the producer of the band and together they just become some organic sun-grown liquid love of jazz (lol, alright I'm going overboard) but on the real its a great album. The surprise for me is they're version of "Daylight"...most of you would know that by ATCQ, one of their most buttery samples. The album has 19 tracks at times things can start to sound alike (depending on your ear for music..) because of the use of the Fender and bass lines. It really doesn't matter though, go get the album. While the Philadelphia Experiment was more of a standard jazz joint with the occasional venture into abstract, this album is the opposite in comparison as it is more abstract with the occasional standard steez.

Peace

N1

"Love Me or Leave Me Alone" - B.N.
"Dreams are for those who sleep" - Bread

"Dreams are for those who
sleep" - Bread

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Yesterday's New Quintet
Sep 19th 2001
TheLaundromat
Oct 05th 2001
Prince
Oct 15th 2001
i love it.
Sep 19th 2001
I don't get it
Sep 24th 2001
      RE: I don't get it
Sep 24th 2001
Madlib is the group n/m
scole5678
Sep 20th 2001
RE: Madlib is the group n/m
Prince
Oct 15th 2001
Sep 20th 2001
Sep 20th 2001
it was
Sep 20th 2001
      Glad 2 assist...
Sep 20th 2001
rugged tranquility is the shit
Sep 20th 2001
Two points....
Sep 20th 2001
RE: drumming
Sep 22nd 2001
      holy hopping carrot sticks
Sep 24th 2001
Tracklisting
Sep 20th 2001
okay, Afroteck!
Sep 22nd 2001
      YNQ
Oct 08th 2001
urgent question
Sep 20th 2001
i'm on hiphopsite.com
Sep 20th 2001
Trying to be patient...
Sep 21st 2001
RE: Trying to be patient...
Sep 21st 2001
it's good.
Sep 22nd 2001
just ordered
Sep 24th 2001
hey, i found the only YNQ post left.
Oct 01st 2001
      this album affects people
Oct 27th 2001
yeah i got the album last sat
Sep 24th 2001
where you bought it from?
Sep 25th 2001
      Im sold
blugrly
Oct 01st 2001
           RE: Im sold
TheLaundromat
Oct 05th 2001
                RE: Im sold
Prince
Oct 15th 2001
MAblib has a remix
Oct 09th 2001
RE: MAblib has a remix
blugrly
Oct 09th 2001
Oct 10th 2001
Prince
Oct 15th 2001
      add to that list Scratch's solo album
Oct 16th 2001
Worth the wait...
Oct 16th 2001
Oct 16th 2001
Oct 16th 2001
OFF THE HOOK! (n/m)
Oct 22nd 2001
Oct 27th 2001
WOW
Oct 27th 2001

johnny_domino
Charter member
17027 posts
Wed Sep-19-01 12:16 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: Yesterday's New Quintet"
In response to Reply # 0

I've only heard a few songs, but they're all really good. Madlib is the entire group, from everything I've read, he just invented different names, but he did the whole thing himself. Talk about talent.

"If consumers stopped existing we'd forget how to use words
Just f*ck and eat each other 'til the next ice age occurs" El-P

TheLaundromat

Fri Oct-05-01 07:57 PM

26. "RE: Yesterday's New Quintet"
In response to Reply # 1

i saw those cats in santa monica in february. it was more than madlib, but he was playing with em.

they were like kraftwerk. 'cept jazz. and not german.

Prince

Mon Oct-15-01 08:00 AM

32. "RE: Yesterday's New Quintet"
In response to Reply # 26

Did you catch them behind the cigar shop on Coldharbour 5 years back when they went through their whisky sour stage? And those leather pants were incredible, when they covered 'Ain't No Sunshine' I thought they were going to explode.

JNOTA
Charter member
1342 posts
Wed Sep-19-01 07:37 PM

2. "i love it."
In response to Reply # 0

in my opnion, its almost perfect. i always look forward to the next madlib projects and he never dissapoints. people need to pick this album up and listen.

----------------------------------------
"we put language in zoos to observe caged thought and toss peanuts and p funk at intellect. and motherfuckers think these are metaphors, i speak what i see, all words and worlds are metaphors of me" -saul williams

noahbird
Member since Jul 12th 2002
355 posts
Mon Sep-24-01 11:57 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
18. "I don't get it"
In response to Reply # 2

Personally, I think it's pretty boring after two whole listens. In fact, I have to force myself to not take it out of the player. The beats are nice, but in the end boring. And instead of having some inventive solos over these beats or even really playing with the rhythm, time and tempos, Madlib seems to resort to what I can only call dull noodling over the beats.

Curious, do the heads who really like this listen to much jazz? I suspect not.

House Music Producer: Hit me up if you want to collaborate, always looking for vocalists:

https://soundcloud.com/cetch

tREBLEFREE
Charter member
26710 posts
Mon Sep-24-01 04:04 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
19. "RE: I don't get it"
In response to Reply # 18

>Personally, I think it's pretty boring
>after two whole listens.

That's sad.

>In fact, I have to
>force myself to not take
>it out of the player.

Can I have your copy?

> The beats are nice,
>but in the end boring.

Really? That's how you feel?

> And instead of having
>some inventive solos over these
>beats or even really playing
>with the rhythm, time and
>tempos, Madlib seems to resort
>to what I can only
>call dull noodling over the
>beats.

The man only plays keyboards (and most recently drums) and jazz-wise, I'll admit the solos aren't that deep or amazingly impressive.

The reason I think it's so great is because Madlib has added another layer to hip-hop production with this album. This is the first time that I'VE heard somebody freak samples like that. Shit, #2 (Julani) is worth the price of admission alone. I believe that track is all samples.

>Curious, do the heads who really
>like this listen to much
>jazz? I suspect not.

You suspect wrong sir. At least as far as I'm concerned. As a matter of fact, the thing that made me fall in love with jazz is the parallels between it and hip-hop.

Think about it - both jazz and hip-hop begin with a theme. Solos are like hip-hop cats freestyling.

This actually could be a whole 'nother discussion.

I'm a BIG Coltrane fan.

Free jazz (Coltrane's "Interstellar Space" & Sun Ra) doesn't really grab me though.

gREG bASS (now known as datcatdeycalltREBLEFREE)
Former Questo-Endorsed Player Of The Week...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
URGENT: GO BUY "ANGLES WITHOUT EDGES" BY YESTERDAYS NEW QUINTET.

NOW.

Balcony Music, Volume Five
AVAILABLE NOW
https://waldorfandstatler.bandcamp.com/album/balcony-music-volume-five-the-story-of-us

scole5678

Thu Sep-20-01 04:32 AM

3. "Madlib is the group n/m"
In response to Reply # 0

Prince

Mon Oct-15-01 08:12 AM

34. "RE: Madlib is the group n/m"
In response to Reply # 3

Only if you beleive what the media says. Harry Allen was telling me last week that the real YNQ play in the window of Bush Radios in Atlanta every second Sunday of the month with a special show each thanksgiving for all the mums. The truth is in the jazz.

Numba_33
Charter member
19335 posts
Thu Sep-20-01 05:11 AM

4. "RE: Yesterday's New Quintet"
In response to Reply # 0

Amazing how the album just flows together too.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

Mudbone
Charter member
461 posts
Thu Sep-20-01 08:55 AM

5. "RE: Yesterday's New Quintet"
In response to Reply # 0

Hey who did original version of "Daylight"?

Peace,

Chris

JNOTA
Charter member
1342 posts
Thu Sep-20-01 10:28 AM

6. "it was"
In response to Reply # 5

Roy Ayers or R.A.M.P. or both... cant remember right now.

"we put language in zoos to observe caged thought and toss peanuts and p funk at intellect. and motherfuckers think these are metaphors, i speak what i see, all words and worlds are metaphors of me" -saul williams

tREBLEFREE
Charter member
26710 posts
Thu Sep-20-01 12:58 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "Glad 2 assist..."
In response to Reply # 6

>Roy Ayers or R.A.M.P. or both...
>cant remember right now.

R.A.M.P. stands for Roy Ayers Music Project.

"Daylight" was originally released on an album called "Come Into Knowledge" in 1978.

I got it on a compilation titled "Mellow Mellow" on the Harmless Records label.

BTW, If you can actually FIND this CD (I think it's on CDNow), it's quite nice. They've got the originals for some of rap and hip-hop's greatest.

They also have R.A.M.P.'s version of "Everybody Loves The Sunshine"; it's way smoother than the one Roy did for the album of the same title. Pretty interesting.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOW.

AVAILABLE NOW
https://waldorfandstatler.bandcamp.com/album/balcony-music-volume-five-the-story-of-us

HotSpittable
Charter member
456 posts
Thu Sep-20-01 12:25 PM

7. "rugged tranquility is the shit"
In response to Reply # 0

that whole album is just pure syrupy goodness. its hip-hop jazz done right, for once, with less emphasis on the hip-hop. just thick, funky breakbeats augmented by live drumming, and the occasional vocal sample (there's like 3 on the whole album) are the only traces of hip-hop in there.

yeah and i'm just gonna gloat now about the madlib rocket love 7inch that came with mine from hiphopsite.

tREBLEFREE
Charter member
26710 posts
Thu Sep-20-01 01:01 PM

9. "Two points...."
In response to Reply # 7

>just thick,
>funky breakbeats augmented by live
>drumming,

Point #1 - I heard that all the drums are either sampled or programmed. Not trying to be a smart ass or nothin'...that's just what I read on the YNQ website.

>yeah and i'm just gonna gloat
>now about the madlib rocket
>love 7inch that came with
>mine from hiphopsite.

Point #2 - OK....so where's the MP3's of 'em? C'mon cat, don't be greedy...

NOW.

AVAILABLE NOW

tREBLEFREE
Charter member
26710 posts
Sat Sep-22-01 05:07 PM

17. "RE: drumming"
In response to Reply # 7

>just thick, funky breakbeats
>augmented by live drumming

Just got an email from PB Wolf and he said the NEW YNQ stuff (that Madlib is working on now) WILL have live drums on it. He taught himself how to play.

NOW.

AVAILABLE NOW

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Mon Sep-24-01 06:55 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
21. "holy hopping carrot sticks"
In response to Reply # 17

>>just thick, funky breakbeats
>>augmented by live drumming
>
>Just got an email from PB
>Wolf and he said the
>NEW YNQ stuff (that Madlib
>is working on now) WILL
>have live drums on it.
> He taught himself how
>to play.

taught himself, eh? homeboy is crazy ambitious. he keeps pumping out quality beatwork and in the meantime he's still teaching himself new instruments to play. wow.

check out the article on him in the new mass appeal. he seems like a pretty cool cat. also, apparently madlib and peanut butter wolf will collaborate with david axelrod for his upcoming new record (!??!?)! at least, i jhust read an article where all three of them were chilling in the studio while axelrod was working on his new record...cross your fingers cuZ that sounds like a hot combo...

ps: i hear axelrod's name all the time...could someone explain his significance in the world of music please? thanks. i want to know why the name is legendary.

Thoughtfully yours,

Spirit Equality

http://www.miscflux.com - the only band on earth I would take a bullet for. support them now or face an eternal damnation of Lil Romeos.

"I'm paid/to hijack your motorcade/Try to wave to the crowd/I'll blow off your shoulderblade" - J.U.I.C.E.

"I beat so many rappers I should own a plantation" - J.U.I.C.E.

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com

Soap
Charter member
264 posts
Thu Sep-20-01 04:49 PM

10. "Tracklisting"
In response to Reply # 0

Gib dem to me (c) Ahnold
________________________________________________________________________________
AIM: Aphroteck
The world mourns for us
http://home.covad.net/~georgelsjr/Tribute/world_mourns.htm

Jay-Z the Blueprint...As hard as I'm trying not to, I love this cd.

LAAAAME!!

sandata
Charter member
647 posts
Sat Sep-22-01 03:39 PM

16. "okay, Afroteck!"
In response to Reply # 10

01. Prelude 1:59
02. Julani 3:05
03. Papa 4:34
04. Keeper of My Soul 4:18
05. The One Who Knows 3:43
06. The Birth of YNQ 2:53
07. Paladium 5:35
08. Life's Angles 3:07
09. Thinking of You 3:15
10. Uno Esta 3:44
11. Rugged Tranquility 4:07
12. Daylight 3:55
13. Hot Water 3:40
14. Mestizo Eyes 3:55
15. Sun Goddess 3:57
16. Kuhn's Theme 2:32
17. Little Girl (Dakota's Song) 2:21
18. Broken Dreams 5:34
19. Last Day :55

// S A N D A T A //

]aim name: wisedumb
]email: shaolinone@yahoo.com

Who is an entity w/ no identity?

anothaundawrktdj
Charter member
6 posts
Mon Oct-08-01 09:30 PM

28. "YNQ"
In response to Reply # 16

Una Esta & Hot Water = magnificant

For one to sympathize with the problems of the Af/American communities, "he/she must understand the double problem, which exists for a person of Afrikan descent. First, the discrimination that is against him. Second, and almost more grievous, his discrimination against himself; his contempt for the blackness which he associates with his suffering; his willingness to sabotage his brothers simply because they are part of the very blackness that he has found so painful." - John Howard Griffin

Donn L
Charter member
13902 posts
Thu Sep-20-01 05:05 PM

11. "urgent question"
In response to Reply # 0

i'm about to order YNQ and i want that free slum village sampler. How do i add that to my shopping cart or i gotta buy SV stuff?

Donn L
Charter member
13902 posts
Thu Sep-20-01 05:06 PM

12. "i'm on hiphopsite.com"
In response to Reply # 11

blue23
Charter member
8341 posts
Fri Sep-21-01 05:08 AM

13. "Trying to be patient..."
In response to Reply # 0

but you cats are already discussing and hiphopsite is always the slowest to ship. And I better get my free 7". Madlib must do just what he says in FADER, 2 things: get weeded and make beats b/c he has so much dope material out... Can't wait for YNQ.

One,
BTW

johnbook
Charter member
65030 posts
Fri Sep-21-01 12:03 PM

14. "RE: Trying to be patient..."
In response to Reply # 13

All I got to say is when the vinyl comes out, there better be some 45's left or I'm gonna go flock and floosh.

p.e.a.c.e.
-John Book

THE HOME OF BOOK-NESS:
http://thisisbooksmusic.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/thisisjohnbook
http://www.facebook.com/book1

sandata
Charter member
647 posts
Sat Sep-22-01 03:34 PM

15. "it's good."
In response to Reply # 0

man, the tonality is just ... wow

it's amazing how well it all flows together.

this is defintely jazz hiphop at it's best.
this is also DEFINITELY one of the best releases of 2001.

Madlib is THE man.

I can't wait for the upcoming EPs.

// S A N D A T A //

]aim name: wisedumb
]email: shaolinone@yahoo.com

Who is an entity w/ no identity?

illnes
Charter member
6363 posts
Mon Sep-24-01 04:17 PM

20. "just ordered"
In response to Reply # 0

Ellie's Theme, the Bomb Shelter 7," Angles w/o edges, and the other one, from sandboxautomatic. got damn! it even comes with posters.

illnes
Charter member
6363 posts
Mon Oct-01-01 04:02 PM

24. "hey, i found the only YNQ post left."
In response to Reply # 20

this shit! Madlib has straight gone off.

I see this album as a heterogeneous mixture of three things: the Lootpack instrumentals, Bitches Brew, and Headhunters.

It's maad bipolar. Lovey joints, smooth joints, moderate funk joints, WEIRD SHIT, and manic electro-hard bop. Jeesus, man.

I'm diggin the amateur-sounding keys and such, as well as the drums. The drums on this album. Gad!damn.

I really like the Uno EP's jacket design. U know what i'm talking about.

Illnes must go.

illnes
Charter member
6363 posts
Sat Oct-27-01 02:04 PM

42. "this album affects people"
In response to Reply # 24

look at the responses to this post. Those who have and understand the album are acting differently than those who don't.

This album affects your mind. It chills you. It rolls with you. It's dissapointing that none of my friends are interested in this album. (Them and their infrequent cd buying habits.)

Johnny
Charter member
4447 posts
Mon Sep-24-01 07:36 PM

22. "yeah i got the album last sat"
In response to Reply # 0

and i must have listened to it about 5 times already. a couple ppl have said its flows together nicely and i have to agree with that. fav jawn is 18(next to last one). i need to get the uno esta and bomb shelter eps to complete my ynq catalogue. plus i got that 7" too. that shit is ill. i'll make an mp3 of it if someone tells me how.

Golem_3
Charter member
1490 posts
Tue Sep-25-01 05:24 AM

23. "where you bought it from?"
In response to Reply # 22

Alice: Which road do I take?
Cheshire Cat: Where do you want to go?
Alice: I don't know!
Cat: Then it doesn't matter which road you take.
~Alice in Wonderland

~the end was yesturday~
http://www.livetheatregang.com/shaquan_young.htm

blugrly

Mon Oct-01-01 08:37 PM

25. "Im sold"
In response to Reply # 23

I was at Tower tonight had it in my hands but I wanted some reveiws first......ill go cop it tomorrow

TheLaundromat

Fri Oct-05-01 08:09 PM

27. "RE: Im sold"
In response to Reply # 25

steal it.

Prince

Mon Oct-15-01 08:08 AM

33. "RE: Im sold"
In response to Reply # 27

Everytime you steal a jazz record you're depriving grown men of the next hit of their drug habbits Personally I find Frisco Speedball perfect for freestyle jazz sessions.

Brandard
Charter member
11908 posts
Tue Oct-09-01 02:20 AM

29. "MAblib has a remix"
In response to Reply # 0

on the PHilly Expt. remix album

Giving You True Lesson Moderation Since'03

Want something archived? thats what an inbox is for

blugrly

Tue Oct-09-01 10:22 PM

30. "RE: MAblib has a remix"
In response to Reply # 29

hey where do you get the remix ?

tREBLEFREE
Charter member
26710 posts
Wed Oct-10-01 12:27 AM

31. "RE: MAblib has a remix"
In response to Reply # 29

>on the PHilly Expt. remix album

It comes out in 2002....I'm about to try and swipe Madlib's mixes from AudioGalaxy.

BTW...the following was also on the site:

BEING BLACK: THE SOUNDTRACK TO THE BOOK by ANGEL WILLIAMS featuring Hi-Tek, De La Soul, Blackalicious, Dead Prez, Talib Kweli and more.

Can't wait for that one!!

For the moment, the following is some of the greatest stuff ever written:

I don't see Com or Mos as conscious rappers (too restrictive) but as people that question what they see, tell what
they feel the way they feel it - and that struggle to make rap music an art not (just) a business.

- OKP Jeraldo

“Your mishandling of the mic – and music’s power is played...
It’s time for change...
so what you think...you up for the challenge...
~~
I demand reparations from all responsible fake mogul
crap musicmakers and movefakers...
Your bad examples could kill my children’s future –
but we’re here to supply the sutures needed to close the bleeding hole –
in the soul of black music...
Don’t misuse it or abuse it...use it
to send positive not negative messages...
Bless the kids with dope but heartfelt lyrics,
they need to hear it...
You can still be hard and keep regard
for your sisters and shorties and human life,
Formidable minds pay the price for your microphone mistakes...

So it’s either change...or be changed...
break the chains...don’t be slaves.”

- Ursula Rucker

AVAILABLE NOW

Prince

Mon Oct-15-01 08:17 AM

35. "RE: MAblib has a remix"
In response to Reply # 31

kid you gotta get wise. I saw a remix of that shit that in '51 when I got back from the war in Europe. it took me a year as I had to walk back on my own.

Brandard
Charter member
11908 posts
Tue Oct-16-01 06:12 AM

37. "add to that list Scratch's solo album"
In response to Reply # 31

at least that is what the rumor is, i'm trying to confirm it.

Giving You True Lesson Moderation Since'03

Want something archived? thats what an inbox is for

blue23
Charter member
8341 posts
Tue Oct-16-01 06:06 AM

36. "Worth the wait..."
In response to Reply # 0

Finally arrived "and of course it's fresh". Madlib tha bad kid does it again. Loving the sound and it's something you have to marinate on to get a full scope of what is happening. Love that in a record. You know Jay-Dee is sweating this right now, even if he won't admit it.

One,
BTW

haji rana pinya
Charter member
53604 posts
Tue Oct-16-01 08:03 AM

38. "RE: Yesterday's New Quintet"
In response to Reply # 0

i only heard snippets on the net but it didnt sound too good to me. the songs i heard sounded choppy and loopy. it was a good idea but needed some fine tuning i think.

maybe i should keep my yap shut until i hear the album huh?

www.dumhi.com

JNOTA
Charter member
1342 posts
Tue Oct-16-01 10:38 AM

39. "RE: Yesterday's New Quintet"
In response to Reply # 38

>maybe i should keep my yap
>shut until i hear the
>album huh?

would you review a book without reading it? you cant always judge the music based on what you heard in a little snippet. you gotta let the album play. see where it takes you. its mood music, its definitley not for everybody... madlib is crazy.

Quez
Charter member
19684 posts
Mon Oct-22-01 11:17 AM

40. "OFF THE HOOK! (n/m)"
In response to Reply # 0

Squeamish kids, yall get the eff outta this post (c) Jay-Z

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Kneel down, I'll make a nigga like you call me Big Earnest" --- Kool Keith

"I wasnt proud of it but I was a child... FUCK IT" --- Jay-Z

"Muthafucka, I pull your face off...
bout to show you what the fuck you look like" --- Kool Keith

oh well

MADAME X
Charter member
496 posts
Sat Oct-27-01 01:38 PM

41. "RE: Yesterday's New Quintet"
In response to Reply # 0

ynq has been in the pipeline for a while now.

kid at the record store wanted to know how i got a copy of the shit...a modem.

reefdogg
Charter member
2870 posts
Sat Oct-27-01 05:16 PM

43. "WOW"
In response to Reply # 0

some good jazz!!!

i tell you, madlib is uppin the ante for hip hop production.

-------- B EZ ------------

IM and ICQ name: reefdogg1 (number one at the end)

brown university '02 .. almost done!

http://www.geocities.com/beefyreef

"they used to call me crazy joe .. ADD A BAZOOKA
now i'm like batman, BEYOND YA MANUEVERS!"
- Vast Aire

Lobby The Lesson The Lesson Archives topic #78556 Previous topic | Next topic