Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectYesterday's New Quintet
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=78556&mesg_id=78556
78556, Yesterday's New Quintet
Posted by N1, Wed Sep-19-01 09:30 AM
These kats have been around for a hott sec., and I'm sure some of you Okayplayers is down with them or know of them. The album dropped and it is off-the-f'n-hook. It just encompasses so much flavor and originality that its hard to put into words. I am impressed! MadLib is the producer of the band and together they just become some organic sun-grown liquid love of jazz (lol, alright I'm going overboard) but on the real its a great album. The surprise for me is they're version of "Daylight"...most of you would know that by ATCQ, one of their most buttery samples. The album has 19 tracks at times things can start to sound alike (depending on your ear for music..) because of the use of the Fender and bass lines. It really doesn't matter though, go get the album. While the Philadelphia Experiment was more of a standard jazz joint with the occasional venture into abstract, this album is the opposite in comparison as it is more abstract with the occasional standard steez.

Peace

N1

"Love Me or Leave Me Alone" - B.N.
"Dreams are for those who sleep" - Bread