Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson The Lesson Archives topic #33030

Subject: "soulquarians music club-idea" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
jefleejohnson
Charter member
18315 posts
Mon Sep-24-01 09:39 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"soulquarians music club-idea"

you guys are going to the wrong people these labels.

I think alot fans would contribute either thru mp3's or cds of instrumental tracks or vocal tracks of projects Quest and the gang does that are currently frozen.

I would rather pay Okayplayer directly than I would MCA>

Sorry MCA but I would pay more to get more as the saying goes.

I think with the proper annual fee it could be a reality.

You could get more $$ and less stress trying to convince some label lackeys that "this is the hotness"

I think it is time for a Soulquarians music club.

Look at Black Thoughts album. Its on hold. Jay Dee his stuff is on hold. God only knows how long MCA will sit on Common til they deliver it.

It is the 21st century and I think a collective like this would benefit greatly if they did something to that effect.

I think paying directly is the new wave of dealing in media if not now very soon for music artists.

Alot of people would support it.

It would beat the npg music club with Quest in charge I would know it would be done right with enough new material to be pleased with.

You could even have a scrapped tracks section where amateur producers can make their own versions of the track mixing and reworking and tooling it.

The possibility is there.

Terrence Trent Darby-WildCard Oct 2001

Sinclair:Superstar Supernova-0ct 2001

Jef Johnson/SonnyT/MichaelB-October 2001

Tomahawk:
Cee Lo-Oct 2001

Mike Keneally-Wooden Smoke Oct 2001

Wooten/Chambers-Just add Water Oct 23 2001

Oysterhead-Trey anastacsio/Les Claypool/Stuart Copeland

Ghostface Killah-Nov 2001

Tonex-Oxygen (early 2002! yea I know September has been moved doh

a comment from RhemaK a artist who works with Tonex about Oxygen: I have heard five songs from Tonex's 'Oxygen'album that is going to be coming out next year. The lyrics and that beats are going to take you over the edge and out of your car seat. That is what it did to me. The proof is in the pudding. You will see 2002. 'Oxygen is no joke' "

as usual all hip hop albums subject to change.

Au80: the Gold Standard in Hip Hop and R&B.
10-12 PM CST

http://kanm.tamu.edu

Foley-Time:Clock of Da Universe (it comes out when it dro

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
"Yeah...
Sep 24th 2001
an idea i will seriously consider...
Sep 24th 2001
i hope so...
Sep 24th 2001
Here is what I think Quest
Sep 25th 2001
      RE: Here is what I think Quest
Sep 25th 2001
      thoughts.
Sep 25th 2001
      the only problem i see
Sep 26th 2001
           an idea
Sep 26th 2001
things to consider...
Sep 25th 2001
isnt okayplayer enuff promotion?
Sep 25th 2001
      does anyone know
Sep 25th 2001
      RE: isnt okayplayer enuff promotion?
Sep 25th 2001
           do i hear a street team revival??
Sep 26th 2001
                yes yes yes
Sep 26th 2001
remember touring
Sep 25th 2001
      RE: remember touring
Sep 25th 2001
           finally ;-)
Sep 25th 2001
INDEPENDENCE
Sep 25th 2001
me talk? what do you mean?
Sep 25th 2001
      RE: me talk? what do you mean?
Sep 25th 2001
RE: soulquarians music club-idea
Sep 25th 2001
Sep 25th 2001
Sep 25th 2001
i think its a wonderful idea
Sep 25th 2001
I'm tired of this
Sep 25th 2001
to go platinum
Sep 25th 2001
      come alive.
Sep 25th 2001
           The Roots vaults?
Sep 25th 2001
I'd pay for it
Sep 25th 2001
RE: I'd pay for it
Sep 25th 2001
      I disagree
Sep 25th 2001
           RE: I disagree
Sep 25th 2001
Would there still be albums?
Sep 25th 2001
U know what...
Mr SADIER
Sep 25th 2001
RE: Would there still be albums?
Sep 25th 2001
Sep 25th 2001
Sep 25th 2001
Sep 25th 2001
Sep 25th 2001
           approach the
Sep 25th 2001
           They still have to promote...
Sep 25th 2001
                =more control
Sep 25th 2001
ausluv
Sep 25th 2001
HA! Imagaine the D vs. Prince Threads
Sep 25th 2001
how can we make it happen?
Sep 25th 2001
RE: how can we make it happen?
Sep 25th 2001
Count me in too...
Sep 25th 2001
Let's Brainstorm
Sep 25th 2001
Foley
Sep 25th 2001
Sep 25th 2001
i read every last post
Sep 25th 2001
You heard it here first.
Sep 25th 2001
count on us
Sep 26th 2001
WHAT foley site Brandard?
Sep 26th 2001
      www.smartalecmusic.com
Sep 26th 2001
Now you know you can't say some ish like this around khimes without him ...
Sep 26th 2001
Explanation please...
Sep 26th 2001
?uest's BBE album
Sep 26th 2001
      thanks
Sep 26th 2001
yahooo!!!
Sep 26th 2001
i feel what you're saying
Sep 26th 2001
13 is the magic number.
Sep 26th 2001
      but why?
Sep 26th 2001
I'd definitely pay
Sep 26th 2001
RE: I'd definitely pay
Sep 26th 2001
other artists?
Sep 26th 2001
      RE: other artists?
Sep 26th 2001
           there is a big difference btw
Sep 26th 2001
No Legal problems know why?
Sep 26th 2001
      fuck new music
Sep 26th 2001
      Are you a member of NPGMC ?
Sep 26th 2001
      i gotta look into that legal status
Sep 26th 2001
?uest liner notes @ SMC
Sep 26th 2001
i like the entire concept
Sep 26th 2001
?uest, do it....
Sep 26th 2001
longwinded lol
Sep 26th 2001
      Excitable misunderstood genius
Sep 26th 2001
sounds good to me n/m.
Sep 26th 2001
RE: sounds good to me n/m.
Sep 26th 2001
music activist
AfricanHerbsman
Sep 27th 2001
in response to qoolskip:NPGMC
Sep 27th 2001

PolarbearToenails
Charter member
11197 posts
Mon Sep-24-01 04:06 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. ""Yeah..."
In response to Reply # 0

it sure is working for Prince!" he said, sarcastically.

--
Jesse Thorn / Host
The Sound of Young America
Thursdays 8-9 AM KZSC 88.1 Santa Cruz
http://www.splangy.com

"This album is by far the greatest piece of writing, arranging, producing, and sequencing genius I've ever encountered. Anyone who has heard the first two Swamp Dogg albums will possibly say impossible, but after listening to this one will make the cross-over to incredible. The only album that may possibly compare with this one is the one that I'm contemplating doing the late future. Everything that is neccessary to make an album I have; Ego, talent, originality, humor, and I am dynamic, articulate, defiant, altruistic, considerate, warm, wonderful, & humble... I have also been a Grammy nominee for the past two years. I'm also a Cancer (July 12) and twenty nine years in the world. What you've just read is my trip, and if you can't tolerate it, that's your trip."
-- Swamp Dogg, from the liner notes to his album, "Cuffed, Collared, & Tagged"

-
Bullseye with Jesse Thorn
A public radio show about things that are awesome.
http://www.maximumfun.org
"This is the kind of show people listen to in a more perfect world." - McSweeney's

qoolquest
Charter member
10251 posts
Mon Sep-24-01 07:28 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "an idea i will seriously consider..."
In response to Reply # 0

you have any ideas how many downloads npg gets? i mean do you think that i could survive on this?

steven wright tribute month.

the top 20 list.

1."curiosity killed that cat..........but for a while i was a suspect"

2." i was arrested once for walking in someone else's sleep"

3." i was walking through the forrest alone and a tree fell right in front of me......and i didn't hear it.........."

4."i bought some batteries.....but they weren't included."

5. "why is the alphabet in that order?.......is it because of that song?...the guy who wrote that song wrote everything.

6. "why is it a penny for your thoughts, but you have to put your two cents in?....somebody's making a penny...."

7. "i like to tease my plants when i water them....i water them with ice cubes"

8."for my birthday i got a humidifier and a dehumidifier.......put em in the same room and i let em fight it out......."

9. "....so i told her i knew i was gonna die cause there is an expiration date on my birth certificate...."

10. "i got some powdered water but i don't know what to add..."

11. "i got an answering machine for my phone, now when i'm not home when someone calls they get a recording of a busy signal."

12. "i have a map of the united states, it's an actual size.......1 mile equals 1 mile....they ask me where i live and i say 'e-5'.

13. "i broke a mirror in my house, supposed to get 7 years bad luck......my lawyer thinks that he can get me 5"

14. "got home the other day and everything in my house had been stolen, and replaced with an exact replica......couldn't believe it!........called my friend said 'look at this stuff! it's all an exact replica what do you think?'.....he said 'do i know you?'"

15."my girlfriend has a queen sized bed.....i have a court jester sized bed..."

16. "i hate when my foot falls asleep in the day cause that means it will be up all night."

17. "one time i went to a drive in, in a cab....movie cost me $95.00"

18. "just got out of hospital....i had a speed reading accident"

19. "one time in the middle of a job interview i took out a book and i started reading......guy said "what the hell are you doing?!" i said 'listen lemme ask you one question, if you were in a vehicle traveling at the speed of light, then you turned your lights on what would happen?' he said 'i don't know--' i said 'forget it then, i don't want to work for you'".

20. "i put instant coffee into a microwave over and i almost went back in time"

check the resume

organix-93
(from the ground up)-94
do you want more?!!???!-95
illadelph halflife-96
things fall apart-99
(the legendary)-99
the roots come alive-99
phrenology-2002
the tipping point-2004
(the roots present...) 2004
homegrown: the beginne

m
Charter member
15756 posts
Mon Sep-24-01 11:27 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "i hope so..."
In response to Reply # 2

http://www.prince.org/poll_results.html?id=44

that was right after it opened.

based on the responses since then, many more folks signed up.

the thing is, is that the way okp is with selling stuff through their website, is that they come through.

prince has NEVER come through when offering stuff directly to the fans. either there have been long ass waits, or straight up lies/no shows.

i venture to guess that okp gets more hits than prince's npgmc site, and that due to the different artists you have worked with, that even more folks will come here.

a lot of folks can't stand rap. rap with samples, and "disturbing" lyrics. the roots, common, jay dee, are different. you still have the lyrics, but live instruments, jazz, well, i should let jlj explain what could happen here.

i've been a prince fan for the longest time. i have over 500 of his cds. (that includes the boots.)

he won't get my $100. why? i don't trust that he'll deliver.

okp would get my $100, *today*.

that's the difference.

the question is though, is how long mca has it's stranglehold over you, and, common, and others that could benefit from this.

imagine.

how long til meshell is out of her contract?

it's the future. and with the knowledge you already have in this field (selling stuff over the web), i think you could at *the very least* live comfortably.

just a thought.
«€χ€χ€χ€χ€χ€χ€χ€χ€χ€χ€χ€χ€»
m @ http://www.bashirshakur.org

jefleejohnson
Charter member
18315 posts
Tue Sep-25-01 05:05 AM

4. "Here is what I think Quest"
In response to Reply # 3

A.Offer it up this way:Bimonthly a cd worth of mp3s a dj radio show you hosting,a breakbeat collection for those type of heads that you pick either out of your stock or your record collection,a amateur producer corner involving unfinished tracks,archive live shows,passes to concerts,a newsletter etc

B.Endorsements like Moby some of your Soulquarian beats could be trailed for alot of upcoming commercials in Technology. Moby did it and I have no doubt Soulquarian can do this. Soundtracks? Thats bound to happen after that.

C. Either pay 110 per year or 10 dollars bi monthly. That way you get lurkers and you dont have to put something up every month where people dont have time to digest whats there. 2 months time is enough for collectors. All you have to do is put up the mp3s or whatnot and dont have to worry about shippin or any of that. Every 2 months...

D. Also this is another way to preview demos of upcoming artists who are part of your inner ring. It doesnt have to be your guys demos all the time it can be others.

E. If I was a collector fan Id buy it thru you directly and I wouldnt be the only one. Todd Rundgren sold his album thru costs of recording it and distributing it thru his fans annual fees. And he just made one cd called "One Long Year" 10 tracks... He paid nothing to record or finance it. His fans did all of it in the space of a year. Look at Todd Rundgrens fanbase and then look at yours. He didnt even have to go gold or platinum he made his amount regardless because he set up a springboard for his fans to support him.
This wouldnt be reality for artist 10 years ago or even 5 years. But it is now.

F. Alot of fans want to be part of something alot of fans dont want to pay labels directly because they realize these labels never say "thanks" even though people like me afkap,bigfunk,aja,bigworm,bigreg,poz,mosaic.ilnes, keep these cats in business considerably. That does not cut it for me. I dont get discounts,I dont get golden parachutes,I dont get a cadilac cuz I sold the new "Scuzzbuckets" so cal punk group to a 7 lp deal with Reprise records. What did I get for my loyalty to artist from the company? Nothing and we as listeners deserve more because WE are the ones interested in it and we pay up front.

You get however much on a cd and they dont give you the proper finances or payment for projects or proper promotion. Annual and monthly fees could cover alot of costs.

The Person I think who is most deserving working with you on something like this is "ME" haha no I would say it is "M"

The reason I say it is "matt" is because his design and his frequent daily uploading and journal entries shows me somebody who could run A Soulquarian music club site every 2 months and update it lovely and make it look lovely. Look at his design speaks for it self.

You get a annual fee estimate and monthly estimate consider with promotion you get lurkers of that.

100 x 10=1000 dollars to you directly 10 people makes you 1000 dollars. To sell gold or platinum I dont know how much you get but I bet you you dont have to sell gold or platinum to get sales you need to keep a club like this. Matter of fact I know this it is Common Sense.

Now consider all the people who will sign annually and then consider the bimonthly people I think that is alot of people mention D'angelo's name and people waited 5 years for another D'angelo album. This announcement would make quite a few of them interested. Just a FEW.

The ideal date to start this is "The dawn of Aquarius-2002" cuz its all about timing and "ANGLE"

When it gets to the date of sign of "Soulquarian" you should have all the details worked out and a scratch list of who is down to annual fee support it.

Id pay 100,110,120, even 150 year to support you guys. I do not want to give to labels anymore because I dont buy it cuz their name or I know somebody at MCA or Motown or Universal and I think these guys are sharing wealth with their artists the right way. No because if A. you cant get videoplay and MTV doesnt want to support you and B. radio wants Timbaland and Neptunes then why even go that route? Anyways you can put out projects that route as well. So that isnt a issue if you want to try that route.

Because if you had somebody like "M" running this I could call him up or talk to him via email and get my suggestions and problems with quality taken care of in no time. I cant do that with NPGMC. They dont write or talk back. Why on earth would I sign if I have no address and no contact with the service? They dont have a mailing address. So if they say Hasta la vista baby I am basically chumped out. A good customer is one who is taken care of and little things like this matter. That is why NPGMC's numbers are going to dwindle. And Soulquarians Music Club will flourish.

I know alot of people will think its crazy but you dont know how many times I have heard audiophiles mutter in music stores "17 dollars for a cd and several delays later and this is what I get??!"
Consider all the people in the world including Europe and JAPAN and U.K. and imagine your set number of fans. Because its a collective you got "ALL"these audiophile fans of that particular artist interested in your club. Bilal fans,Common fans,Jay Dee fans,Quest fans,Badu fans. You dont even need half to make a lucrative profit of what they sold on D'angelo voodoo. Maybe a quarter. Whats best of all is your fans are paying you directly.

Then when you set it up you could do a Soulquarian music club tour and have sign up sheets at the concert and have people getting into it. Bowie.net doesnt even have music hardly. Look how well he does. Now imagine all the combined artists it would be like the Voltron of online music services for Soul/Hip hop and Jazz and funk oriented.

Red Lion-Quest
Green lion-Badu
Yellow Lion-Common
Blue Lion-Jay Dee
Orange Lion-James Poyser
Black Lion-Bilal
and so forth.

Matter of fact Id do a intro like that "Voltron Robot" for the site. That would be hella cool

How do you keep them going? Like any other club add on features.

VIP passes,Parties,Contests,Music Videos,Rehearsals,a;bums out of print,rare 45s of other artists kind of like this site only you really really get paid now for your time and effort.

Imagine everytime somebody a fan who hears about this club is given a cdr by a friend of a mix of what they offer

Thats the best promotion right there. Eff a magazine ad in the source or vibe to hear it is the best promotion.

You could get "Aaron"from the Boondocks to make your animation and graphics on the site and have M design it.

Of course for posting this I get free membership exclusively haha.

that was kind of lengthy but it gives you an idea of what kind of resources you can put up.

That is truly "next level" as you say.

I now hereby endorse my membership to upcoming Soulquarian Music Club very first member. That means I am a "charter" member. Now Quest all you have to do is "charter"me a yacht to Bahamas for a month for my loyalty.

Tomahawk:
Cee Lo-Oct 2001

a comment from RhemaK a artist who works with Tonex about Oxygen: I have heard five songs from Tonex's 'Oxygen'album that is going to be coming out next year. The lyrics and that beats are going to take you over the edge and out of your car seat. That is what it did to me. The proof is in the pudding. You will see 2002. 'Oxygen is no joke' "

10-12 PM CST

ASTRO
Charter member
1160 posts
Tue Sep-25-01 05:40 AM

6. "RE: Here is what I think Quest"
In response to Reply # 4

You were doing good until all that me, me, me talk.

m
Charter member
15756 posts
Tue Sep-25-01 06:51 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
15. "thoughts."
In response to Reply # 4

i'd have to change my ways.
i do all of my html by hand.

the good, non-text graphics on the site? (read, the lyric portion of the site)... i paid someone (yeah, i did... not maverick, not me'shell, me) to do that.

i think okp does a far better job on their site, and could do everything in house.

any help i do would be for free. (print & save that.)
but based on what they do here on a daily basis, there's not a whole lot i could do. in fact, i can't think of anything (although i'm open to suggestions.)

it would be a welcome change. it would be nice to have news to update a site that didn't come off some message board. (and that's all i'll say about that.)

UrbanCowgRRL
Charter member
8764 posts
Wed Sep-26-01 05:31 PM

75. "the only problem i see"
In response to Reply # 4

is that people love jewel cases and liner notes..i'm sure it's not such a big percentage that it would undermine your idea...but If it's downloading mp3's on a site...i couldn't pay because i only have a dial up connection..and i don't have that kind of time.

but i would totally pay this site directly for copies of anything...or even memberships or whatever...just to avoid the record companies..

good luck! and ?uest, you can always just fall back on your new deejaying gigs..go worldwide..tour like the best of them..

Much love,
Kyle

Need Posting help...Go here----->http://www.okayplayer.com/guidelines.html

Want that incredible deep post of yours or your friends archived, use the handy private message button

much love,
Kyle

Detroit..Let's GO!!! May 12th Dilla Walk for Lupus...Belle Isle...

http://walk.lupusresearch.org/goto/blackeyedskeez

Even a Dollar can HELP..

http://www.myspace.com/jedikyle
http://www.detroitderbygirls.com/

Brandard
Charter member
11908 posts
Wed Sep-26-01 06:23 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
78. "an idea"
In response to Reply # 75

b/c i know a lot of people use this site via work which may or not allow mp3 downloading, so for an extra fee once a full CDs worth of material has been put out the club would mail the CDs to whoever wants them, but they would have to be no frills, plain type b/c otherwise i think people that didnt pay for it would complain.

Giving You True Lesson Moderation Since'03

Want something archived? thats what an inbox is for

BrainChild
Charter member
25933 posts
Tue Sep-25-01 06:32 AM

11. "things to consider..."
In response to Reply # 2

1. labor
- you'll probably need more staff in the offices, you'll need a better deal with your web host that will allow for higher bandwidth usage and storage space and increased security

2. retail
- DJs will get pissy if they don't have 12"s... you'll probably want to strike up a deal with a distributor to get them in stores, or at least offer them for sale on the site.

3. promotion
- you're going to be paying for this out of your own pocket. taking out ads in magazines, putting ads on other websites. word of mouth can only do so much (although it's done a hell of a job with okp as it is)

i had more in mind when i started this post, but i've since forgotten them

i've gotta stop smokin that rock when i wake up in the morning.

--me--

"...food for thought..."
- http://www.thejawn.com/brainchild

thejawn.com beat of the month -- september
- http://www.thejawn.com/realaudio/botm0901.ram
---produced by vivrant

--me--
www.djbrainchild.com
www.gordongartrellradio.com
www.twitter.com/djbrainchild

meandmrsjones
Charter member
86 posts
Tue Sep-25-01 06:43 AM

13. "isnt okayplayer enuff promotion?"
In response to Reply # 11

i mean, you have okps in all the mjr cities..most okps have homepages & sites w/ links to okp or references...

do they need the ad space too?

*just wondering*

"ure female gold." - tonik

Brandard
Charter member
11908 posts
Tue Sep-25-01 06:53 AM

16. "does anyone know"
In response to Reply # 13

how many players there really are?

posters and lurkers combinded.

i mean you cant go by hits alone because one user will rack up multiple hits a day right?

can you track ip addresses?

b/c publicity will prob. have to do with how much OKP can distribute, if they have enough players as is, wont have to spend too much on publicity.

unless my logic is flawed, but i dont think it is

BrainChild
Charter member
25933 posts
Tue Sep-25-01 08:58 AM

17. "RE: isnt okayplayer enuff promotion?"
In response to Reply # 13

>do they need the ad space
>too?

yes.

people are gonna have to know that they have the opportunity to join this music club and get exclusive tracks that aren't available *anywhere* else (until the files crop up on Morpheus/Audiogalaxy/WinMX)

just relying on okayplayer.com by itself to spread the word wouldn't be good enough.

if they would want this to work and make it financially successful, they would have to go beyond this site and advertise everywhere.

--me--

"...food for thought..."

---produced by vivrant

--me--
www.djbrainchild.com

UrbanCowgRRL
Charter member
8764 posts
Wed Sep-26-01 05:33 PM

76. "do i hear a street team revival??"
In response to Reply # 17

much love,
Kyle

Detroit..Let's GO!!! May 12th Dilla Walk for Lupus...Belle Isle...

http://walk.lupusresearch.org/goto/blackeyedskeez

Even a Dollar can HELP..

http://www.myspace.com/jedikyle
http://www.detroitderbygirls.com/

Brandard
Charter member
11908 posts
Wed Sep-26-01 05:36 PM

77. "yes yes yes"
In response to Reply # 76

and let's just think how much this site has grown since then

now you have promoters, well known DJs

publicity would not be a problem

Hatred never ceases by hatred
But by love alone is healed.

This is the ancient and eternal
law.
–The Buddha by way of janey

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Tue Sep-25-01 05:04 PM

41. "remember touring"
In response to Reply # 2

brother quest,

touring will always be a bread and butter opportunity for the roots fam. y'all are officially the grateful dead of hip-hop.

here's my vision...

de la soul is about have their contract up at tommy boy, right?

y'all might possibly be hopping off MCA

Hieroglyphics is all independent

Seems to me like a mega-label could be organized...imagine scooping up a lot of these young cats who get axed by their record label job to go to the next plantation...don't you think they'd like some job security working with a label they believe in?

then you have spanking new law school graduates such as myself (hint, hint) that would work for the fam for pennies on the dollar.

give a holler to the brothers at hiero imperium and see how they did it...i think they're doing pretty well for themselves...

you can still get dough from production work and touring and pour that into this enterprise (let's call it Okayplayer Records). Artists like The Jazzies and Dice Raw benefit more on an indie label because honestly there isn't the pressure to go platinum on them when they are basically niche artists who appeal to a specific music audience.

you pocket much more dough (kick a little to the distributor) and in the long run, you leave a legacy for your children...consider it...

Thoughtfully yours,

Spirit Equality

http://www.miscflux.com - the only band on earth I would take a bullet for. support them now or face an eternal damnation of Lil Romeos.

"I'm paid/to hijack your motorcade/Try to wave to the crowd/I'll blow off your shoulderblade" - J.U.I.C.E.

"I beat so many rappers I should own a plantation" - J.U.I.C.E.

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Tue Sep-25-01 05:07 PM

42. "RE: remember touring"
In response to Reply # 41

>Seems to me like a mega-label
>could be organized...imagine scooping up
>a lot of these young
>cats who get axed by
>their record label job to
>go to the next plantation...don't
>you think they'd like some
>job security working with a
>label they believe in?

by this i was not being metaphorical, but was referring to salaried label employees, who have a high turnover rate...i was also thinking of people like LabelGuy who were lured to a job at MCA because of their avant garde hip-hop roster...imagine how many folks would want to work at Okayplayer Records? You already have a built in fanbase filled with college and grad school students who would love to come out of school and work for the team...a huge intern pool to pull from...and I'm sure you've made your share of industry allies to serve as executives...

>then you have spanking new law
>school graduates such as myself
>(hint, hint) that would work
>for the fam for pennies
>on the dollar.

I can't emphasize the above point enough (hint, hint).

*points at self*

Thoughtfully yours,

Spirit Equality

http://www.miscflux.com - the only band on earth I would take a bullet for. support them now or face an eternal damnation of Lil Romeos.

"I'm paid/to hijack your motorcade/Try to wave to the crowd/I'll blow off your shoulderblade" - J.U.I.C.E.

"I beat so many rappers I should own a plantation" - J.U.I.C.E.

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com

Brandard
Charter member
11908 posts
Tue Sep-25-01 05:13 PM

43. "finally ;-)"
In response to Reply # 42

i was just going to inbox you to make sure you saw the thread.

good points very good points

law.

urbgriot
Charter member
11445 posts
Tue Sep-25-01 05:24 AM

5. "INDEPENDENCE"
In response to Reply # 0

That's what's UP....

money directly to U and Yours Pockets...

HMMMMMM ...

Peace...

https://twitter.com/onnextlevel

jefleejohnson
Charter member
18315 posts
Tue Sep-25-01 05:53 AM

7. "me talk? what do you mean?"
In response to Reply # 5

I was just giving a outline of how it could be arranged.

I was joking on any of my comments.

Altho a free membership would be SWEEEEET as Cartman says.

Anyways the basic conclusion is it could be done whether 2 or 1 years from now.

I was not joking about "M" however designing and updating it.

Tomahawk:
Cee Lo-Oct 2001

10-12 PM CST

ASTRO
Charter member
1160 posts
Tue Sep-25-01 06:00 AM

8. "RE: me talk? what do you mean?"
In response to Reply # 7

I know you were joking. Calm down. Geez times are tense when you put up a smiley face and people think your being serious. I was joking too Jefflee.

eldealo
Charter member
10110 posts
Tue Sep-25-01 06:10 AM

9. "RE: soulquarians music club-idea"
In response to Reply # 0

if/when the time comes...someone should try and get a simple tally of how many people would be interested. considering that the money is direct, the npg beginning results were somewhat impressive.

"Bullshit MIS-TER HAN MAN!!!"

Man, you come right out of a comic book! - Williams in 'Enter The Dragon'

"She be sportin the hell outta beautiful" - Prince

"You gotta be a special kind of cheap to balk at a $5 bootleg" - AnaStezia

"Didn't I tell yo' punk ass boy he couldn't have no goddamn milk&cooookies?" - Bernie Mac

"Open up and LET...ME...AN!!" - Sly Stone in 'Crazay', by Jesse Johnson

"Racism doesn't excuse weakness -- it demands strength" - Leonard Pitts, Jr.

In Rotation

N'Dea Davenport's self title debut. If you didn't have this a long time ago, you should be angry. If you still don't have it...all hope is lost.

Nina Simone - "The Very Best Of Nina Simone - Sugar In My Bowl"

Santana - "The Best Instrumentals"

Sons Of Almighty - "The Great Tribulation"

Spearhead. "Stay human"

Terence Trent D'Arby. "Wild Card"

Ozomatli - "Embrace The Chaos"

Res - "How I Do"

El Dealo

-------------------------------------------
INFIN8 Photography
http://www.instagram.com/infin8photo
http://www.facebook.com/INFIN8Photography

ASTRO
Charter member
1160 posts
Tue Sep-25-01 06:30 AM

10. "RE: soulquarians music club-idea"
In response to Reply # 0

<<D. Also this is another way to preview demos of upcoming artists who are part of your inner ring. It doesnt have to be your guys demos all the time it can be others.>>

I can really see artist like N'dambi, Yahzarah, Carrol Riddick, Floerty, and some others using this platform. Hell, let some of the bands like Jill's band, Bilal's band, Soultronics, and A Black Girl Named Becky put out some material like Sweetback did a few years ago. What would they have to lose? They are already independent or unsigned. I wonder how they would feel about something of this nature and what kind of deal can be struck with them.

m
Charter member
15756 posts
Tue Sep-25-01 06:45 AM

14. "RE: soulquarians music club-idea"
In response to Reply # 10

i'd buy becky's album.

meandmrsjones
Charter member
86 posts
Tue Sep-25-01 06:40 AM

12. "i think its a wonderful idea"
In response to Reply # 0

frum whut ive read thru
lemme git it all clear tho

its a music club
u pay ur dues or whut have you
you make music selections
u git the songs thru mp3
its interactive.... producers can mingle and so forth

i guess my question is
wld u also...buy
cd's tapes
i dunno live show dvd's
tee shirts
all that thru the club tew?
or is it just mp3 formats

(im not good w/ a comp)
it wld be better for me to pay the fee
buy my music direct frum the artist
and whuteva else i want

i like this whole cutting out the middle man
but for those who dont want the mp3's or whuteva
(im still not sure how that works)
wld u git tapes/cd's of the featured artists?
is the fee inclusive?
i mean do u pay 150....and git unlimited music
or wld it be more like you pay 50, and each cd is discounted?

overall tho
its worth it, i think
shit, id even learn how to use my comp

"ure female gold." - tonik

analog2digital
Charter member
3597 posts
Tue Sep-25-01 09:11 AM

18. "I'm tired of this"
In response to Reply # 0

tired of my fave artists being disrespected.

tired of having to wait six months at a time to hear new music from them.

tired of being told to my face that I'm gonna have to WAIT another 4 months for a Com album that's FINISHED, because of a heavy 4th quarter.

Tired tired tired.

Sign me up.

sundasill
Charter member
13011 posts
Tue Sep-25-01 09:46 AM

20. "to go platinum"
In response to Reply # 18

is like independent sales of 250,000
but you're talking about a annual fee
so price wouldn't be per cd
so if you get 250k in fees bi monthly thats like going platinum per month.

you don't even have to start with inhouse studio tracks
live shows alone would rack up
sponors for shows would and could advertise on the site
like your drum-sponsers..nm
you could start small at first........
...damn is there some stock options in this

Yall share dat- Badu
N E E KeeP Makin music

From this point, I vow to

m
Charter member
15756 posts
Tue Sep-25-01 09:50 AM

21. "come alive."
In response to Reply # 20

>live shows alone would rack up

i mean, look at pearl jam.
how many live shows did they release last year?

the roots are known for their bad ass shows.
it's time.

Brandard
Charter member
11908 posts
Tue Sep-25-01 10:06 AM

24. "The Roots vaults?"
In response to Reply # 21

a long while back(around OKP tour) ?uest responded to a post of mine and said there were around 30 shows on tape.

will that be enough to sustain a club?

they are going to have to start making quality tapes of every show they do, regardless of location, guest spots etc.

L_O_Quent
Charter member
15348 posts
Tue Sep-25-01 09:25 AM

19. "I'd pay for it"
In response to Reply # 0

and force others to cop it also. you could charge more for the actual disks with creative covers and it wouldn't cost too much more.

like your boy said, you gotta get records though

keep us posted on this one, shit I'd help you all out if it came to that.

OKP alone should generate more than enuff and giving it that "underground" appeal (read no promotion outside the site) will make it even more popular.

The offspring :-D

PSN & XBL: LOQuent

ASTRO
Charter member
1160 posts
Tue Sep-25-01 10:00 AM

22. "RE: I'd pay for it"
In response to Reply # 19

<<OKP alone should generate more than enuff and giving it that "underground" appeal (read no promotion outside the site) will make it even more popular. >>

(no promotion outside the site) will make it even more popular. I'm know I'm not the only one that read that and went "huh?"

Later for that "underground" appeal. The appeal should be the music it self and the quality. And for the music to maintain quality I'm not against advertising outside Okayplayer website.

L_O_Quent
Charter member
15348 posts
Tue Sep-25-01 12:37 PM

33. "I disagree"
In response to Reply # 22

but that is my opinion

The offspring :-D

PSN & XBL: LOQuent

SPADE
Charter member
4745 posts
Tue Sep-25-01 04:06 PM

39. "RE: I disagree"
In response to Reply # 33

But what's the negative effects of promoting outside of this site?

Brandard
Charter member
11908 posts
Tue Sep-25-01 10:04 AM

23. "Would there still be albums?"
In response to Reply # 0

just to clarify

if i club was to be developed it would be for

-remixes
-studio outtakes
-unreleased songs
-live songs

and there would still be albums right?
you have to figure that if the Roots were independent they would still sell 250,000 probably more. Its not like they are being heavily promoted by MCA.

Mr SADIER

Tue Sep-25-01 10:49 AM

25. "U know what..."
In response to Reply # 23

...ALL of this shit is SO phuckin' true!!

The Soulquarians could really make something out of this..

U all have built up a die-hard fanbase and an elite group of artists with TONS of music that peeps would *PAY* to get their hands on...

I KNOW this can DEFINITELY be a reality...

Props to Jefleee for even brining this shit to attention...
4REAL!!!

'Cause I know peeps be thinkin' about this in the back of their minds but just DON'T DO IT!!! U all should really DO IT!!!

Haha!
4REAL though..

PEACEOUTT!!!

jefleejohnson
Charter member
18315 posts
Tue Sep-25-01 10:55 AM

26. "RE: Would there still be albums?"

They could promote their albums using those as platforms for the clubs for the serious people who want something extra.

I think it is vital to keep shopping projects around to other places because its like free advertising everytime you put out a album to put a link in bigletters "Soulquariansmusicclub.com" on the back of the cd with whatever label it is.

I think that the best part of the site is if you get somebody to run it who will take your suggestions to make the service better and by putting money in it yearly it will be like having a investment into something really worthwhile. Instead of something where nobody even shows their appreciation with a major label. A faceless conglomerate who doesnt listen to you and just takes your money and spends it wastefully on crap. That is played. If they dont care then you start caring about what you listen to.

And in addition to that artists can get their name faster by being associated with listeners on a interactive level rather than some pundits who dont know music.

The soulquarians really dont have to do anything cept hand tracks bimonthly whatever that may be. Quest already does a radio/d.j. show and even more reason to make that part of the club.

Someone could run a newsletter and the club site.
It would basically be having like a label that doesnt exist on paper or offices. Newsletter could mention whats in the pipeline and a list of suggestions to consider. It would be like Summercamp only better. lol no swimming practice.

And for that I guess I would be happy enough with mp3's if they were never planning on coming out.

They already have like 12 years of vaults and archives of work.

Heck members could even put their own demos up and rate them or make suggestions sort of like Ben affleck and Matt damons "Project Green light" site for film scripts. act like "online music producer" you could be helping artists you never know.

and the winner of best demo could have their project overseen by Soulquarians.

So many possibilities...and it is a world out there.

Get the rich get the middle class and I guess make the poor donate sperm and blood to keep up with annual payments ha...

I really do believe Okayplayer has just started where it can go.

Theres alot of artists who can get feedback from a listener rather than a label person who is clueless.

course I guess in the way the other new artists who are featured from time to time would be like their main "hoes" so to speak because Soulquarians would be making the majority of the profits.
But its their name and their webspace so oh well.

Imagine the conventions lol

You could have questlove and meetings in the Holiday Inn imagine......

Japanese Fan:Wow that track #177920 is good!

Quest:Thanks did you know we spliced Earl Morgenstoff Trio with wah trumpet and chopped up Booker T and MGs "green Onions" Organ and cut up Marvin Gayes arp on FunkySpace Reincarnation and I played the percussion on George Foreman Grill.

Fan:WHY??

Quest:Cuz it sounded dope.

Fan:WOW!!

Quest:Wait til track#177921

Fan:Why

Quest:Cuz I just sampled your WOW and I am gonna run it thru my sampler: filter it with mutron and phase shifter and its gonna sound like SIR NOSE D'void hummin a bassline

Fan:holy shit!!

Quest:That right there I will use as the background percussion.

Other fan:Hey can I be on that track too?

Quest:Sure why not we will use you as the sound effects in the background just say "HOT DAMN Superfunkysoulquariandocious"

Otherfan:Hot DAMN Superfunkysoulquariandocious!

Quest:Good. Consider yourself cameo'd. Now if you excuse me it is laser tag time to play in the lobby with premium members. The monthly members who came here get some lunchables and snapple and a postcard of me looking like "you shoulda got the premium membership" The basic is no way to go.

Other fan:I want to play laser tag too!! Wait for me!

Np:Charlie Hunter-S/t

Tomahawk:
Cee Lo-Oct 2001

10-12 PM CST

BrainChild
Charter member
25933 posts
Tue Sep-25-01 11:01 AM

28. "RE: Would there still be albums?"
In response to Reply # 26

>Imagine the conventions lol
>
>You could have questlove and meetings
>in the Holiday Inn imagine......
>
>
>Japanese Fan:Wow that track #177920 is
>good!
>
>Quest:Thanks did you know we spliced
>Earl Morgenstoff Trio with
>wah trumpet and chopped up
>Booker T and MGs "green
>Onions" Organ and cut up
>Marvin Gayes arp on FunkySpace
>Reincarnation and I played the
>percussion on George Foreman Grill.
>
>
>Fan:WHY??
>
>Quest:Cuz it sounded dope.
>
>Fan:WOW!!
>
>
>Quest:Wait til track#177921
>
>Fan:Why
>
>Quest:Cuz I just sampled your WOW
>and I am gonna run
>it thru my sampler: filter
>it with mutron and phase
>shifter and its gonna sound
>like SIR NOSE D'void hummin
>a bassline
>
>Fan:holy shit!!
>
>Quest:That right there I will use
>as the background percussion.
>
>
>Other fan:Hey can I be on
>that track too?
>
>Quest:Sure why not we will use
>you as the sound effects
>in the background just say
>"HOT DAMN Superfunkysoulquariandocious"
>
>Otherfan:Hot DAMN Superfunkysoulquariandocious!
>
>Quest:Good. Consider yourself cameo'd. Now if
>you excuse me it is
>laser tag time to play
>in the lobby with premium
>members. The monthly members who
>came here get some lunchables
>and snapple and a postcard
>of me looking like "you
>shoulda got the premium membership"
>The basic is no way
>to go.
>
>Other fan:I want to play laser
>tag too!! Wait for me!

BWAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

--me--

"...food for thought..."

---produced by vivrant

--me--
www.djbrainchild.com

pey
Charter member
1888 posts
Tue Sep-25-01 11:13 AM

30. "RE: Would there still be albums?"
In response to Reply # 26

:D bwahaaahaaaahaahahahahahaa
superfunkysoulquariandocious....rotflmao...

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
ain't no blood in my body,:
it's liquid soul in my veins :

BrainChild
Charter member
25933 posts
Tue Sep-25-01 10:59 AM

27. "RE: Would there still be albums?"

>and there would still be albums
>right?
>you have to figure that if
>the Roots were independent they
>would still sell 250,000 probably
>more. Its not like they
>are being heavily promoted by
>MCA.

all of the roots albums (save 'from the ground up', and apparently 'organix') are easily found in stores.

if they can be sure that they could keep their product in the same stores, then yeah.. they could sell 250k easy.

if not, then that's a problem.

how many did "illadelph" sell... that's probably how much any future album will sell if they are unable to come close to the success of 'you got me'

--me--

"...food for thought..."

---produced by vivrant

--me--
www.djbrainchild.com

Brandard
Charter member
11908 posts
Tue Sep-25-01 11:05 AM

29. "400,000"
In response to Reply # 27

i believe

yeah i think they could probably do something between 250k and 400k w/o a hit

But they might need a major distributor to get into Best Buy, Tower, Sam Goody. and they would probably have to up the store's capability. Tank is cuntabulous but it would probably be too much for one person.

they own the studio upstairs right?

so minus paying guests on the album, all of that money is going in their pockets

and with rough math that's about 3.75 million to 6 million (@$15 a CD)an album minus production/promotion costs.

not too bad, p

equinox
Charter member
3150 posts
Tue Sep-25-01 01:18 PM

34. "approach the"
In response to Reply # 29

distributor directly. they have more than enough clout.
shoot a bird at the label......fuck 'em!

-------------------------
::bounce'n off yo'radar::
Blaktroniks - Testing
Colonel Red - Soul Believer
Til Tuesday - Voices Carry
Prickly Pear/Jinesis - Ppl
Kashif - The Mood
Blk Bobby - The Grn Lite
Zo/Tigallo - Human

aGainst.The.gRain.radiO
fridays.10a-

PolarbearToenails
Charter member
11197 posts
Tue Sep-25-01 01:27 PM

35. "They still have to promote..."
In response to Reply # 29

They don't get all that money. They still have to pay for all the things the record company charges them for. Promotion, packaging, design, etc... and they have to hire people to do and coordinate all those things.

--
Jesse Thorn / Host
The Sound of Young America
Thursdays 8-9 AM KZSC 88.1 Santa Cruz
http://www.splangy.com

"This album is by far the greatest piece of writing, arranging, producing, and sequencing genius I've ever encountered. Anyone who has heard the first two Swamp Dogg albums will possibly say impossible, but after listening to this one will make the cross-over to incredible. The only album that may possibly compare with this one is the one that I'm contemplating doing the late future. Everything that is neccessary to make an album I have; Ego, talent, originality, humor, and I am dynamic, articulate, defiant, altruistic, considerate, warm, wonderful, & humble... I have also been a Grammy nominee for the past two years. I'm also a Cancer (July 12) and twenty nine years in the world. What you've just read is my trip, and if you can't tolerate it, that's your trip."
-- Swamp Dogg, from the liner notes to his album, "Cuffed, Collared, & Tagged"

-
Bullseye with Jesse Thorn
A public radio show about things that are awesome.
http://www.maximumfun.org
"This is the kind of show people listen to in a more perfect world." - McSweeney's

equinox
Charter member
3150 posts
Tue Sep-25-01 01:34 PM

36. "=more control"
In response to Reply # 35

on what will be spent on what.

-------------------------
::bounce'n off yo'radar::
Blaktroniks - Testing
Colonel Red - Soul Believer
Til Tuesday - Voices Carry
Prickly Pear/Jinesis - Ppl
Kashif - The Mood
Blk Bobby - The Grn Lite
Zo/Tigallo - Human

aGainst.The.gRain.radiO
fridays.10a-

ausluv

Tue Sep-25-01 11:18 AM

31. "RE: soulquarians music club-idea"
In response to Reply # 0

count me in!

Brandard
Charter member
11908 posts
Tue Sep-25-01 12:23 PM

32. "HA! Imagaine the D vs. Prince Threads"
In response to Reply # 0

man D' jocks prince so much he even copied his music club, what a no-talent punk!

hahahahahaha, that entertainment alone is worth doing this thing

law.

JustLisa
Charter member
50995 posts
Tue Sep-25-01 03:08 PM

37. "how can we make it happen?"
In response to Reply # 0

i adore all of 'em, Lord knows I do.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage ~ ANAIS NIN

Jazzgotsoul
Charter member
2805 posts
Tue Sep-25-01 03:47 PM

38. "RE: how can we make it happen?"
In response to Reply # 37

I can tell you I'd pay a whole lotta $ to be in this club P

http://www.last.fm/user/jazzgotsoul/

tREBLEFREE
Charter member
26710 posts
Tue Sep-25-01 04:36 PM

40. "Count me in too..."
In response to Reply # 0

I'd join....

for like $100 a year....

as long as I could still purchase PHYSICAL CD's in stores...

I KNOW Rich Nichols could spearhead this....

gREG bASS (now known as datcatdeycalltREBLEFREE)
Former Questo-Endorsed Player Of The Week...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
URGENT: GO BUY "ANGLES WITHOUT EDGES" BY YESTERDAYS NEW QUINTET and/or CHARLIE HUNTER'S "SONGS FROM THE ANALOG PLAYGROUND".

NOW.

Balcony Music, Volume Five
AVAILABLE NOW
https://waldorfandstatler.bandcamp.com/album/balcony-music-volume-five-the-story-of-us

Brandard
Charter member
11908 posts
Tue Sep-25-01 05:28 PM

44. "Let's Brainstorm"
In response to Reply # 0

I pay $100-150 for 1 year membership. For that i would expect 6-10 CDs worth of songs, as well as other things such as:
-online radio show
-fan generated interviews with the nonposting artists
-chats

The Roots Vaults:
-Live Shows - Quest said about 30 shows as of a year ago
-Outakes/Alternate Takes from 4 albums (altough i wonder if BT would let them release organiz stuff)
-Unreleased Remixes
-Freestyles
-Unused Beats

That's a whole lot of Roots so i would hope they would change it up occasionaly:
-great place to showcase unsigned Lily talent!
-Other Okayartists? this would prob. get tricky. I'm sure Rawkus would get mad if you tried to distribute a Kweli track, and no way Virgin is letting D' put up unreleased Vodoo takes. so this gets a ???
-any more ideas

As an independent Label:
-The Roots (would hopefully still release albums to the public and continue to tour altough prob. not as much so they can help run it)
-The Jazzies get a ? b/c Merc hasnt written about what the current status is.
-Solo albums, great way to release those. Wasnt Scrath looking for a label anyway?
-As Spirit said, acts like Dice that prob. arent going to break into mainstream but could be themselves on an indie label
-How about have a Blacklily Imprint, incredible way to get that going, hell maybe Jill would comeback over.

okay thats all from me, your turn

Brandard
Charter member
11908 posts
Tue Sep-25-01 06:05 PM

45. "Foley"
In response to Reply # 44

artist struggling with finding a label, already has a fanbase among OKP

how many other acts can we name.

MeShell

who else?

law.

2Skool4kool
Charter member
97 posts
Tue Sep-25-01 06:17 PM

46. "RE: soulquarians music club-idea"
In response to Reply # 0

the idea sounds tight...

but...

i just would not like it if a sector of people were left out just cause they did not have acceess to a computer!

what if i was never to hear The Low End Theory just cause was not privliged enough to own a computer.

some of the best music you've ever heard in your life, you haven't even heard yet!

qoolquest
Charter member
10251 posts
Tue Sep-25-01 10:01 PM

47. "i read every last post"
In response to Reply # 0

i've been sitting here thinking. "how in the world can i really bring this site alive?"......

this is clearly the answer.

part of this saddens me, because i always had a vison of me holding my thirteen children in my hands with their groovy blue note-like artwork. but more and more each day i get more fustrated with this system. with the press. mtv. and radio.

so i will hold on to my roots dream.

BUT!!!!!

i believe that i can use this to promote dice, and the jazzies. as well as the randy watson experience (basically a soulquarian album) i know that jay dee would give me 20 tracks on the strength because he has so many.

i would just worry that i can't deliever quality product by a deadline. i would also worry about some sort of napster thing going on.

but other than that. i believe once i get "phrenology" out the way...this will indeed be my next project.

this is what i love about this site. no star strokin. no insults. a suggestion that i feel is a worthy mission.

thanks alot guys. i will do all in my power to jump in this pool.

steven wright tribute month.

the top 20 list.

1."curiosity killed that cat..........but for a while i was a suspect"

2." i was arrested once for walking in someone else's sleep"

3." i was walking through the forrest alone and a tree fell right in front of me......and i didn't hear it.........."

4."i bought some batteries.....but they weren't included."

5. "why is the alphabet in that order?.......is it because of that song?...the guy who wrote that song wrote everything.

6. "why is it a penny for your thoughts, but you have to put your two cents in?....somebody's making a penny...."

7. "i like to tease my plants when i water them....i water them with ice cubes"

8."for my birthday i got a humidifier and a dehumidifier.......put em in the same room and i let em fight it out......."

9. "....so i told her i knew i was gonna die cause there is an expiration date on my birth certificate...."

10. "i got some powdered water but i don't know what to add..."

11. "i got an answering machine for my phone, now when i'm not home when someone calls they get a recording of a busy signal."

12. "i have a map of the united states, it's an actual size.......1 mile equals 1 mile....they ask me where i live and i say 'e-5'.

13. "i broke a mirror in my house, supposed to get 7 years bad luck......my lawyer thinks that he can get me 5"

14. "got home the other day and everything in my house had been stolen, and replaced with an exact replica......couldn't believe it!........called my friend said 'look at this stuff! it's all an exact replica what do you think?'.....he said 'do i know you?'"

15."my girlfriend has a queen sized bed.....i have a court jester sized bed..."

16. "i hate when my foot falls asleep in the day cause that means it will be up all night."

17. "one time i went to a drive in, in a cab....movie cost me $95.00"

18. "just got out of hospital....i had a speed reading accident"

19. "one time in the middle of a job interview i took out a book and i started reading......guy said "what the hell are you doing?!" i said 'listen lemme ask you one question, if you were in a vehicle traveling at the speed of light, then you turned your lights on what would happen?' he said 'i don't know--' i said 'forget it then, i don't want to work for you'".

20. "i put instant coffee into a microwave over and i almost went back in time"

check the resume

organix-93
(from the ground up)-94
do you want more?!!???!-95
illadelph halflife-96
things fall apart-99
(the legendary)-99
the roots come alive-99
phrenology-2002
the tipping point-2004
(the roots present...) 2004
homegrown: the beginne

DarkStar
Charter member
20015 posts
Tue Sep-25-01 10:58 PM

48. "You heard it here first."
In response to Reply # 47

Now keep your mouths shut...shhhhhhhhhh....

http://thelastdaysofrussell.bandcamp.com (soon - "Election Day on Monster Island")

Brandard
Charter member
11908 posts
Wed Sep-26-01 02:08 AM

49. "count on us"

to do everything we can.

this place is definitely not your ordinary website.

hell check the Foley site, how often does that happen on hiphopsite.com?

Good luck ?uest

law.

jefleejohnson
Charter member
18315 posts
Wed Sep-26-01 06:02 AM

55. "WHAT foley site Brandard?"
In response to Reply # 49

Dont tease me man. I have only found a bio on the web no interviews no updates.

Tomahawk:
Cee Lo-Oct 2001

10-12 PM CST

Brandard
Charter member
11908 posts
Wed Sep-26-01 06:15 AM

56. "www.smartalecmusic.com"
In response to Reply # 55

law.

khimes
Charter member
3819 posts
Wed Sep-26-01 03:38 AM

50. "Now you know you can't say some ish like this around khimes without him ..."

>as well as
>the randy watson experience (basically
>a soulquarian album)

"I want to be with him." - pistol

TWITTER.com/LuckyRivera
NAKED CONFUSION: Coming Soon

khimes
Charter member
3819 posts
Wed Sep-26-01 03:40 AM

51. "Explanation please..."
In response to Reply # 50

Since my subject got cut off.

>>as well as
>>the randy watson experience (basically
>>a soulquarian album)

TWITTER.com/LuckyRivera

Brandard
Charter member
11908 posts
Wed Sep-26-01 03:41 AM

52. "?uest's BBE album"
In response to Reply # 50

i think it was going to be with James Poyser for the BBE Beat Generation series

or at least it was going to be, MCA must have canned it

law.

khimes
Charter member
3819 posts
Wed Sep-26-01 01:36 PM

73. "thanks"
In response to Reply # 52

I guess I need to quit trying to get a direct response from ?uest. I must sound like a whiner when he doesn't reply.

*NOTE* I probably won't give up COMPLETELY.

TWITTER.com/LuckyRivera

B9
Charter member
43124 posts
Wed Sep-26-01 04:07 AM

54. "yahooo!!!"

i wasnt going to post on here because i thought that this was one of those "damn good dreams, but wont ever happen" things, but if ?uest puts the effort to it, this can and will be a winning venture...the current okayplayers alone will support this and I know that this would garnish a ton of response and hype outside of our little okayworld...this could be the next movement in music...look at k-rad: they offer every song they have ever did for free on their mp3 ftp and all you have to do to get access is buy one cd and they got a whole legion of hardcore fans...roots, et all, would draw 30x more...

oh, and ?uestlove, if you want to hold all your music in your hands as vinyl, why not just cut some of it yourself on limited run 7"s and what not? you KNOW that a 1000 run Soulquarian 7" would sell like nuts...fuck a label.

sundasill
Charter member
13011 posts
Wed Sep-26-01 09:56 AM

65. "i feel what you're saying"

as far as quality music.Every two months can i bang outta song or songs-
That's what i was saying about the live shows,everybody cant see everywhere or cant afford to see every show .Like the Okayplayer Tour you was explaining about which shows was better than others shows.Shit slap dat at the mix board and jam.It's not like yall throwing out some sloppy shit.Hell i gotta common mp3 of one f his live shows with kewli that ain't half bad.Even as intense you are about soundchecks and mic'ing i know the live joints would slam-Shit "D" alone would have people running ape shit.

-Now i don't know about the in house studio track and record companies an ish like that (far as the Napster factor goes)The only way to get the Gorrillaz off your back is to alias each artist. I know Management would be buggin also.

Yall share dat- Badu
N E E KeeP Makin music

Mosaic
Charter member
16409 posts
Wed Sep-26-01 12:53 PM

69. "13 is the magic number."

cool beans all around.

Brandard
Charter member
11908 posts
Wed Sep-26-01 12:56 PM

72. "but why?"
In response to Reply # 69

?uest has this fixation on 13 albums and i find it fasicnating.

Also i wonder how many albums he is counting?

do the roots have 8 or 5?

Approaching
Charter member
2271 posts
Wed Sep-26-01 03:45 AM

53. "I'd definitely pay"
In response to Reply # 0

however...i forsee legal problems out the asshole with alot of the artists that have been mentioned on this thread...

mostly that many soulq's and affillited artists are under rigid contracts with other major labels...

i mean, would motown allow a release of a song with erykah on backup vox...?

would virgin let d'angelo release a song with interscope's bilal...?

would mca let ?uest release Roots music through alt. avenues after the "hits coming" on Phrenology?

this is some of the industry bullshit we're talking about subverting, but can it happen??

my guess is probably "not yet"...

but i totally want to support this.

ASTRO
Charter member
1160 posts
Wed Sep-26-01 06:28 AM

57. "RE: I'd definitely pay"
In response to Reply # 53

But that's the thing. I don't think we honestly expect the roots, Common, Erykah Badu to wiggle out of their contract and start selling cd's on the net. I do expect for people that are the background singers, the band memebers, independent artist, and people who got dropped from the label to represent. We don't need or want anymore Jaguar/MCA, Jazzyfatnastees/MCA, etc drama.

Brandard
Charter member
11908 posts
Wed Sep-26-01 06:33 AM

58. "other artists?"
In response to Reply # 57

i honsetly think it would be just the Roots, it would get to complicated with all the rest.

1) badu isnt an okayartist

2)we dont really know the contract status of these artists, if their contracts are coming up soon then maybe it could all work out, they would sure make more $$$ doing it themselves

SPADE
Charter member
4745 posts
Wed Sep-26-01 12:40 PM

68. "RE: other artists?"
In response to Reply # 58

<i honsetly think it would be just the Roots, it would get to complicated with all the rest.
1) badu isnt an okayartist>>

The post says Soulquarian music club not Okayplayer music club.

Brandard
Charter member
11908 posts
Wed Sep-26-01 12:53 PM

70. "there is a big difference btw"
In response to Reply # 68

reality and the mind of jeflee

as cool as it would be for it do be a soulquarian, whole big family type deal. that would get really complicated with all the differnt labels/managers invovled.

and if ?uest is looking to eat off of this...

how would you share profits or share losses?

complicated stuff

i mean add it to a list of maybe's that is a mile long at this point.

and hell if it was just the roots(does that sound negative, cuz it aint ) maybe they would show up in the name switching type deal for an occasional cameo.

jefleejohnson
Charter member
18315 posts
Wed Sep-26-01 06:37 AM

59. "No Legal problems know why?"
In response to Reply # 53

D'angelo could be Michael D'angelo archer Skywalker

Common could be Common Solo

Questlove could be ????<3

Jay Dee could be J2d2 (uhhh picturing a cool graphic for that one )

Bilal could be Bilal Fett (this one too)

Just alter the names slightly they cant do anything.

Prince did that and Jay Dee did that and alot of artists have done that. Tonex did that bigtime. He put out 5 produced projects on different labels under the name "T-Boy"his production alias last year alone! Just as long as it is close to the name they cant touch you. He is signed to Tommy Boy,

The labels cant do anything because it is a different name they dont own "souls" They own " artist names" temporarily.

Oh this club will get alot jealousy from prince fans if it happens because of interactivity they will be promoting this by hating on it. "Why cant NPGMC be like that" I already see it.

But yea you just need to make quota every year for your profits.

I bet you could get some fresh sponsors Id put a Soulquarians banner on my site and encourage others.

Imagine if you ran a ad in XXL or URB.

Nobody said it is a long term project either it could run for a few years or a year.

it could start next year or it could start 2003. Maybe you wait n see and see what NPGmusicclub is doing wrong for a year or so and you follow the "blueprint" and dont do what they do.

I gurantee this other artists would want to get on something with names like "d'angelo" in the mix. I bet you they and their manager would pay for promotion also. So there is another avenue for income to the club.

If people can make invisible charities and make a business out of it then a online music club with great benefits can flourish if you improve it over time.

If quest is concerned about the quality and being rushed then he could make it tri monthly just extend the editions.

There are ways around that. Bowie.net doesnt even have music hardly does it? And he has a huge library of songs he could use.

Just study Bowie Net and NPGMC and see the mistakes they are making.

These are the "prototypes" to a successful music media service. And NPGMC is making alot of mistakes to see.

Tomahawk:
Cee Lo-Oct 2001

10-12 PM CST

Brandard
Charter member
11908 posts
Wed Sep-26-01 06:44 AM

60. "fuck new music"
In response to Reply # 59

i want the vault stuff, alternate takes and all of that so wouldnt that have to be under the artist's real names?

i mean i could see some of the crew contributing a few songs this way but i would really like the unreleased stuff.

'cuz i'm not sure how willing MCA would be to give ?uest that boxset after album 13,

and for god sakes will you get off of this thread and go look at the foley site!!

law.

QoolSkip
Charter member
714 posts
Wed Sep-26-01 06:49 AM

61. "Are you a member of NPGMC ?"

I've gotten first dabs at premium seating twice, the remix cd for Rave In2 The Joy Fantastic and some interesting downloads.

Plus I get first dabs at the Rainbow Children for only $10.

Its not the greatest service and it could use some improvements but its not as bad as you make it out to be.

sundasill
Charter member
13011 posts
Wed Sep-26-01 10:00 AM

66. "i gotta look into that legal status"

i think it's deeper than that though

Yall share dat- Badu
N E E KeeP Makin music

p_oz
Charter member
5545 posts
Wed Sep-26-01 08:38 AM

62. "?uest liner notes @ SMC"
In response to Reply # 0

SMC for Soulquarian music club, of course.

We'll be expecting standard explinations. Like

4am, me and {insert name} were sitting in the studio and hit a block. James put his hand down on the keyboard and said he was leaving. But he made this chord, and we just jammed off it. And that is where the song came from. (except this would be much longer)

. : | p - o z | : .

p-oz

•- •-•• • –••-

www.p-oz.com

Donn L
Charter member
13902 posts
Wed Sep-26-01 09:10 AM

63. "i like the entire concept"
In response to Reply # 0

hope something can happen with it. I'm down for the fee and i'm sending my resume!

scorpion
Charter member
29592 posts
Wed Sep-26-01 09:21 AM

64. "?uest, do it...."
In response to Reply # 0

its time to get off the plantation, for real

Jeflee, you's a long-winded, eccentric genius

?uest, all the OKP's got your back, don't front, do it!

"First of all, our parental rights get trampled at every turn. In the event of a pregnancy, we have no say in how the situation should end. A kid we want to have can be aborted at the mother's whim with no recourse whatsoever. If we don't want the kid, the mother can have it, then turn around and hit us w/ a child support bill that well exceeds the actual costs of raising a child. In the event of divorce, courts often side w/the mother EVEN if she committed adultery that led to the divorce.

Second, in relationships, we have it harder, We usually have to make the first move and risk the ego-crushing process that is rejection. We have to shell out the most $$ to keep women impressed and entertained. We're expected to navigate through the mixed signals women hand out, all while trying to figure out why the men who treat women the worst get all the attention."
-nonseq on why women got it made

allwedoiswindimoto.tumblr.com
www.windimoto.com

jefleejohnson
Charter member
18315 posts
Wed Sep-26-01 12:30 PM

67. "longwinded lol"
In response to Reply # 64

to summarize: " (in speedracer voice) GO Soulquarian Racer Go Soulquarian Racer Gooooooo"

Tomahawk:
Cee Lo-Oct 2001

10-12 PM CST

p_oz
Charter member
5545 posts
Wed Sep-26-01 03:29 PM

74. "Excitable misunderstood genius"
In response to Reply # 67

Wu-Tang name generator.

that was mine

. : | p - o z | : .

p-oz

•- •-•• • –••-

www.p-oz.com

Bastarrde
Charter member
1606 posts
Wed Sep-26-01 12:55 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IMClick to send message via ICQ
71. "sounds good to me n/m."
In response to Reply # 0

this is the name i record under, so i'm using it instead of jesmar.

"i'm the dog that ate.. your birthday cake.. it's a wonderful life" Sparklehorse - It's A Wonderful Life

"can you feel the wind of venus on your skin? can you taste the crush of a sunset's dying blush? stars will always hang in summer's bleeding fang" Sparklehorse - Sea Of Teeth

"Oral gets you a long coat and no dialogue." Kevin Smith

http://ngfaa.cjb.net
http://dreamwater.net/estrangular
"stress relates to those who walk around protected"

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/bastarrde_music.htm
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/grimfurious_music.htm
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/leroystanks_music.htm
"From now on I only want beautiful nonsense" limbic_system
I am forever the dingle

BobbyBlue
Charter member
722 posts
Wed Sep-26-01 11:48 PM

79. "RE: sounds good to me n/m."
In response to Reply # 71

This sounds cool but I'd still like to see the Roots release actual records. With artwork and sleeves. So they dont get radio airplay? Well if they just resign themselves to the net (hypothetically) then there is no way some brainwashed kid who only knows what they hear on the FM dial is ever going to know of an alternative.

Maybe they could still release albums through MCA and then just put rare material or unreleased or live songs on the net. Or even send out CDs through to members a la the Rainbow children Cd that NPGMC is supposed to send out.

And not everyone, beleive it or not has a computer in their home. Can a group survive on OK players alone? The internet alone isn't enough. And its not the same. It doesnt hold the same weight/significance/memory of having something in your hand.

AfricanHerbsman

Thu Sep-27-01 06:56 AM

80. "music activist"
In response to Reply # 0

respect to jeflee for sparking thought, mos definitely interested

seize your time - marley/wailers

everyone in the house looks smashin' - slick rick

jefleejohnson
Charter member
18315 posts
Thu Sep-27-01 01:09 PM

81. "in response to qoolskip:NPGMC"
In response to Reply # 80

I think the NPGMC is delivering somewhat what they promised but
it isnt going to get my money because I have no "Address"
No replies or nothing. Is that smart for me? If you dont keep in contact with your customers you are sunk.

It isnt especially appealing since I have been looking what they do. They flake every once in a while but they cant do that. They have a contractual agreement and you may disagree but here is the facts. They have skipped months for people who pay "100 a year" which wouldnt be a thang for those people if they didnt mention that was part of the agreement joining the club.

So far they are sealing their fate with a date to "Better Business Bureau" if they dont

a.get actual address and office\
b.respond to their network of fans about mailings not shipped
c.problems accessing content due to hangups on server

And I am not the only one obviously who is leary on it.

One thing I noticed is basically the NPGMC has given 2 cds worth of tracks which is pretty cool. BUT....theres alot of things that dont interest me like soundstage music videos. Rehearsals okay that is chill and the radio show but for me to pay "100" you have to deliver. Not repeat things I have already on the studio albums like that radio show they did this month.

The bootleggers have a bootleg cd collection of those tracks already out.

The fact they didnt make "NPGMC"cd available of the tracks they put up shows me somebody who is leaving out part of the prince audience which is pretty expansive judging by the sales of Bootlegs. The fact "Rainbow Children" is being held over listeners fans wont make a prince fan sign up for "100" to hear it. They will just most likely get bootleg or a burned copy. Basically it is not too smart to make albums so "Exclusive" that leaves alot of fans.

I would not be surprised if the music club did not have high numbers for signings due to drop outs and cancelations.

Its cool he is putting up a service like this but theres this "space" and "gap" of fans he is leaving out either due to

not wanting to pay 100
not really sure on reliability of club
they dont like mp3's
They dont have the computer capabilities or modem access at present time
They have problems with media software on their computer.

Theres alot of complications from Prince fans.

Alot of them still dont know this club exists.

They are wandering for new studio material in the music stores and since Princes fan base is broad you cant really track how many buyers there are for his new material completely.

I hope they release Rainbow Children but something tells me they wont judging the content and the seamlessness of it as a whole suite of ensemble based songs. Because Prince is looking for a major label distribution deal and I think alot of labels have been burned by him Arista,EMI,Sony. He just complicated things by signing these deals and then complaining after he does it again and again. After a while its like the artist who cried wolf.

Are they gonna respond to his cry this time?

Time will tell...

Tomahawk:
Cee Lo-Oct 2001

10-12 PM CST

Lobby The Lesson The Lesson Archives topic #33030 Previous topic | Next topic