Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectHere is what I think Quest
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=33030&mesg_id=33034
33034, Here is what I think Quest
Posted by jefleejohnson, Tue Sep-25-01 05:05 AM

A.Offer it up this way:Bimonthly a cd worth of mp3s a dj radio show you hosting,a breakbeat collection for those type of heads that you pick either out of your stock or your record collection,a amateur producer corner involving unfinished tracks,archive live shows,passes to concerts,a newsletter etc

B.Endorsements like Moby some of your Soulquarian beats could be trailed for alot of upcoming commercials in Technology. Moby did it and I have no doubt Soulquarian can do this. Soundtracks? Thats bound to happen after that.

C. Either pay 110 per year or 10 dollars bi monthly. That way you get lurkers and you dont have to put something up every month where people dont have time to digest whats there. 2 months time is enough for collectors. All you have to do is put up the mp3s or whatnot and dont have to worry about shippin or any of that. Every 2 months...

D. Also this is another way to preview demos of upcoming artists who are part of your inner ring. It doesnt have to be your guys demos all the time it can be others.

E. If I was a collector fan Id buy it thru you directly and I wouldnt be the only one. Todd Rundgren sold his album thru costs of recording it and distributing it thru his fans annual fees. And he just made one cd called "One Long Year" 10 tracks... He paid nothing to record or finance it. His fans did all of it in the space of a year. Look at Todd Rundgrens fanbase and then look at yours. He didnt even have to go gold or platinum he made his amount regardless because he set up a springboard for his fans to support him.
This wouldnt be reality for artist 10 years ago or even 5 years. But it is now.

F. Alot of fans want to be part of something alot of fans dont want to pay labels directly because they realize these labels never say "thanks" even though people like me afkap,bigfunk,aja,bigworm,bigreg,poz,mosaic.ilnes, keep these cats in business considerably. That does not cut it for me. I dont get discounts,I dont get golden parachutes,I dont get a cadilac cuz I sold the new "Scuzzbuckets" so cal punk group to a 7 lp deal with Reprise records. What did I get for my loyalty to artist from the company? Nothing and we as listeners deserve more because WE are the ones interested in it and we pay up front.

You get however much on a cd and they dont give you the proper finances or payment for projects or proper promotion. Annual and monthly fees could cover alot of costs.

The Person I think who is most deserving working with you on something like this is "ME" haha no I would say it is "M"

The reason I say it is "matt" is because his design and his frequent daily uploading and journal entries shows me somebody who could run A Soulquarian music club site every 2 months and update it lovely and make it look lovely. Look at his design speaks for it self.

You get a annual fee estimate and monthly estimate consider with promotion you get lurkers of that.

100 x 10=1000 dollars to you directly 10 people makes you 1000 dollars. To sell gold or platinum I dont know how much you get but I bet you you dont have to sell gold or platinum to get sales you need to keep a club like this. Matter of fact I know this it is Common Sense.

Now consider all the people who will sign annually and then consider the bimonthly people I think that is alot of people mention D'angelo's name and people waited 5 years for another D'angelo album. This announcement would make quite a few of them interested. Just a FEW.

The ideal date to start this is "The dawn of Aquarius-2002" cuz its all about timing and "ANGLE"

When it gets to the date of sign of "Soulquarian" you should have all the details worked out and a scratch list of who is down to annual fee support it.

Id pay 100,110,120, even 150 year to support you guys. I do not want to give to labels anymore because I dont buy it cuz their name or I know somebody at MCA or Motown or Universal and I think these guys are sharing wealth with their artists the right way. No because if A. you cant get videoplay and MTV doesnt want to support you and B. radio wants Timbaland and Neptunes then why even go that route? Anyways you can put out projects that route as well. So that isnt a issue if you want to try that route.

Because if you had somebody like "M" running this I could call him up or talk to him via email and get my suggestions and problems with quality taken care of in no time. I cant do that with NPGMC. They dont write or talk back. Why on earth would I sign if I have no address and no contact with the service? They dont have a mailing address. So if they say Hasta la vista baby I am basically chumped out. A good customer is one who is taken care of and little things like this matter. That is why NPGMC's numbers are going to dwindle. And Soulquarians Music Club will flourish.

I know alot of people will think its crazy but you dont know how many times I have heard audiophiles mutter in music stores "17 dollars for a cd and several delays later and this is what I get??!"
Consider all the people in the world including Europe and JAPAN and U.K. and imagine your set number of fans. Because its a collective you got "ALL"these audiophile fans of that particular artist interested in your club. Bilal fans,Common fans,Jay Dee fans,Quest fans,Badu fans. You dont even need half to make a lucrative profit of what they sold on D'angelo voodoo. Maybe a quarter. Whats best of all is your fans are paying you directly.

Then when you set it up you could do a Soulquarian music club tour and have sign up sheets at the concert and have people getting into it. Bowie.net doesnt even have music hardly. Look how well he does. Now imagine all the combined artists it would be like the Voltron of online music services for Soul/Hip hop and Jazz and funk oriented.

Red Lion-Quest
Green lion-Badu
Yellow Lion-Common
Blue Lion-Jay Dee
Orange Lion-James Poyser
Black Lion-Bilal
and so forth.

Matter of fact Id do a intro like that "Voltron Robot" for the site. That would be hella cool

How do you keep them going? Like any other club add on features.

VIP passes,Parties,Contests,Music Videos,Rehearsals,a;bums out of print,rare 45s of other artists kind of like this site only you really really get paid now for your time and effort.

Imagine everytime somebody a fan who hears about this club is given a cdr by a friend of a mix of what they offer

Thats the best promotion right there. Eff a magazine ad in the source or vibe to hear it is the best promotion.

You could get "Aaron"from the Boondocks to make your animation and graphics on the site and have M design it.

Of course for posting this I get free membership exclusively haha.

that was kind of lengthy but it gives you an idea of what kind of resources you can put up.

That is truly "next level" as you say.

I now hereby endorse my membership to upcoming Soulquarian Music Club very first member. That means I am a "charter" member. Now Quest all you have to do is "charter"me a yacht to Bahamas for a month for my loyalty.

Terrence Trent Darby-WildCard Oct 2001

Sinclair:Superstar Supernova-0ct 2001

Jef Johnson/SonnyT/MichaelB-October 2001

Tomahawk:
Cee Lo-Oct 2001

Mike Keneally-Wooden Smoke Oct 2001

Wooten/Chambers-Just add Water Oct 23 2001

Oysterhead-Trey anastacsio/Les Claypool/Stuart Copeland

Ghostface Killah-Nov 2001

Tonex-Oxygen (early 2002! yea I know September has been moved doh

a comment from RhemaK a artist who works with Tonex about Oxygen: I have heard five songs from Tonex's 'Oxygen'album that is going to be coming out next year. The lyrics and that beats are going to take you over the edge and out of your car seat. That is what it did to me. The proof is in the pudding. You will see 2002. 'Oxygen is no joke' "

as usual all hip hop albums subject to change.