There really wasn't anywhere for Seb to go, as he practically slid back onto the racing line where Lewis was already committed. Could he have lifted or pulled to the left and let Lewis through? I"m not entirely sure. Hamilton will take the win and points, but I'm sure he didn't want it like that much like last year's race at Sochi when Bottas had to give up his win. Had Hamilton actually passed Vettel in the closing stages of the race this would be a moot point (or less of a big deal). But with the 5 second penalty in play, there was no reason to race. Seb wasn't getting 5 seconds up, and trying to tangle with him for the lead was then pointless.
This is now the second race Ferrari had victory taken from them (though Bahrain was on them, not the stewarts). I imagine they will win at Monza, maybe Spa, but not having a win 7 races in has to suck.
As for Vettel, I'm all for his actions after this, which is rare. Not driving into parc ferme, skipping the initial interview, and switching the 1st and 2nd place signs was hilarious. I'm sure he's getting a fine, but so be it. As mad as he was at the loss, he still urged the crowd not to boo Hamilton, who really had an excellent race and was setting up for some fantastic closing laps. He was closing on Vettel every lap and setting up for an overtake every time he was in DRS range. Nice gesture for Lewis to pull Seb up on the podium, and good to see the respect the both have for each other (which is a far cry from, say, Lewis and Nico). Hopefully that continues through the season.
- Best result for Renault this season. Even though they were a lap down, they were best of the rest (and ahead of Gasley, who keeps letting down the side for Red Bull)
- Speaking of Red Bull, either Gasley is underperforming or Max is overperforming. He was in no man's land in 5th place, but at least stayed on the lead lap.
- Stroll finished 9th. Best result for him so far, and at his home track. Good for him
- Haas and Alfa Romeo still look like trash this year.
- K-Mag was complaining so much Steiner pretty much had to tell him STFU and drive. After all, had he not put his car in the wall the day before it wouldn't have been as bad a drive. As it stands, he had to endure being beat by a Williams. It happens.
- Bottas 1.0 seems to have returned this week. Though he did manage fastest lap with the soft tire. Hopefully that gives some idea on what the new Mercedes engine has going for it.
<-- Dave Thomas knows what's up...
Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.
Game: Like Gladys Knight.
Jay: Aretha Franklin.
Game: Word, I like her too.