Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2558337

Subject: "Charles Barkley to host new TNT show called The Race Card (WaPo Swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8775 posts
Mon Aug-01-16 07:07 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Charles Barkley to host new TNT show called The Race Card (WaPo Swipe)"

I think the show is a good idea, but I don't know if Chuck is the right person to host it. He's outspoken but a show like this needs a credible journalist and / or a number of academics and people located throughout the greater community to really be impactful.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2016/07/31/charles-barkley-to-host-new-tnt-show-called-the-race-card/

By Des Bieler July 31 at 9:03 PM

Charles Barkley is never shy about expressing an opinion about anything, least of all the most hot-button issues in the United States. Now the former NBA star and popular studio analyst will host a new TV show exploring “race, class and cultural differences” that will debut next year.

The name of this show? “The Race Card.”

TNT has ordered six hour-long episodes of the program, in which, according to the network, “Barkley wants to bust up the echo chamber mentality that so often has people retreating to corners of the like-minded, where views are reinforced and ideas are distorted into angry, unexamined groupthink conclusions.

“Each week, Barkley will take on the rapidly calcifying positions around today’s hot-button topics,” TNT continued in a press release. “He will seek out the sharpest and most varied viewpoints from today’s cultural leaders and tastemakers. He will then challenge and probe those ideas, even trying them out on himself.”

“We as Americans never discuss the issue of race in this country and how it impacts everything in our lives until something bad happens,” Barkley said in a statement. “I see this project as a way to talk about race, class and cultural differences and challenge everyone’s status quo.”

Barkley’s outspoken ways have certainly helped TNT’s “Inside the NBA” gain high regard, and it makes sense that the network would want to give him a forum for his views on non-basketball topics. The Hall of Fame player has both stood up for and criticized elements of the black community, including his comments on the recent turmoil following shooting deaths of and by police officers.

“We got to do better as black people,” Barkley recently said. “The cops have made some mistakes, but there’s a lot of blame to go around. But I’m not going to get on TV and yell like all these other idiots. I’m willing to sit down with anybody and have constructive criticism. I always tell myself as a black man: ‘Am I part of the problem or part of the solution?’ If I’m out doing illegal stuff, stupid stuff, I’m part of the problem. If I’m helping young black kids go to college like I’m trying to do, if I’m giving money to causes to help young men, I know I’m part of the solution.”

In April, after North Carolina passed the law targeting the LGBT community — known as HB2 — Barkley said the NBA should move the 2017 All-Star Game away from Charlotte, a decision the league eventually made. “As a black person, I’m against any form of discrimination, against whites, Hispanics, gays, lesbians, however you want to phrase it,” he said at the time. “It’s my job, with the position of power that I’m in and being able to be on television, I’m supposed to stand up for the people who can’t stand up for themselves.

The 53-year-old Barkley, who has flirted with a political career in the past, will be one of the executive producers of “The Race Card.” Of the show, TNT said, “Barkley will put ideas on their feet, with real-world proof-of-concept tests that will engage people and expose the truth behind their closely held beliefs.”

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Charles Barkley to host new TNT show called The Race Card (WaPo Swipe) [View all] , obsidianchrysalis, Mon Aug-01-16 07:07 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
lolz!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Aug 01st 2016
Please, God, don't let my man turn into Larry Elder or some shyt
Aug 02nd 2016
smh
Aug 02nd 2016
Good concept, bad host
Aug 02nd 2016
Speaking of Kenny Smith
Aug 03rd 2016
Spoilers: Show 1: Militant. Show 2: Uncle Tom. Show 3: Militant....
Aug 02nd 2016
People will tune in to see him talk bad about black folks
Aug 03rd 2016
      So he'll be Ted Turner's version of Whitlock?
Aug 03rd 2016
      Nah...he'll go back and forth. That's the key.
Aug 03rd 2016
i'm good with indifference right now
Aug 02nd 2016
Almost 0% chance that this show isn't a bammafied mess
Aug 02nd 2016
I hate the name of the show &amp; guarantee I willl hate everything..
Aug 02nd 2016
Will this be worse than The Magic Hour?
Aug 02nd 2016
A race-baiting version of The Magic Hour? Fire up the memes
Aug 02nd 2016
i watched every episode of the magic hour
Aug 02nd 2016
      I'm disappointed
Aug 03rd 2016
           i saw a few episodes of chevy chase but wow was it terrible
Nov 27th 2016
Correction: Episode 1 of Shaqting the Fool is called The Race Card
Aug 02nd 2016
Is Etan Thomas a co-host?
Aug 02nd 2016
Maybe it will be insightful and illuminating.
Aug 02nd 2016
Hate myself for wanting to watch this show lol
Aug 02nd 2016
can't wait to not watch this
Aug 02nd 2016
Pretty sure everyone knows this is a comedy but Chuck
Aug 02nd 2016
America voted for Trump nm
Nov 25th 2016
He is not qualified to even speak on the issue
Aug 02nd 2016
this made me legit laugh out loud, man
Aug 02nd 2016
he is such a paradoxical mix of of arrogance and humility
Aug 02nd 2016
I've always found his contradictions endearing on a human level
Aug 03rd 2016
      yeah i do think he is mostly honest though oddly he tones it down a lot
Nov 27th 2016
I disapprove of this criticism.
Aug 03rd 2016
I only diapprove of someone speaking on something they
Aug 03rd 2016
RE: He is not qualified to even speak on the issue
Aug 03rd 2016
      Barkley routinely comes on local Philly sports radio shows
Aug 03rd 2016
I assumed this would be a comedy thing...
Aug 03rd 2016
already a clusterfuck (shocking, I know)
Nov 23rd 2016
shoulda started somewhere else, we snatch wigs here.
Nov 25th 2016
Pretty much
Nov 25th 2016
"I’m like the homecoming queen. All the ugly girls hate you."
Nov 25th 2016
Producers had to have hand picked that audience.
Nov 25th 2016
We got local coons that troll better than Charles.
Nov 25th 2016
He's such a piece of shit
Nov 25th 2016
you gotta laugh at the image of charles as homecoming queen though
Nov 27th 2016
Here's the issue: he'd NEVER talk to white poeple face to face like that...
Nov 27th 2016
      yup, exactly.
Nov 28th 2016

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2558337 Previous topic | Next topic