Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2206311

Subject: "2013-14 Best Conference In The Country Power Rankings" Previous topic | Next topic
guru0509
Charter member
45415 posts
Sat Aug-10-13 09:59 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
64. "2013-14 Best Conference In The Country Power Rankings"
In response to In response to 0

The Big Ten once again will be the best conference in the country this season. Yes, I know the ACC added two elite programs in Syracuse and Pittsburgh. But the Big Ten, from top to bottom, is different.

The conference is special not just because of the talent level, but because of the ownership and atmosphere. Games are not games; they are events, and they have not been lost because of realignment.

This season the Big Ten has multiple teams with the potential to make it to the Final Four, and as many as eight that could play in the NCAA tournament. Here's how I have them ranked right now.

1. Michigan State Spartans
Tom Izzo's Spartans return the dynamic backcourt of Keith Appling and Gary Harris, as well as one of the most versatile frontcourt players in the country in 6-foot-10 Adreian Payne. This is a foundation for another run at a Big Ten title and a return to the Final Four. Izzo will have one of his better offensive teams in recent memory. He has a deep, talented backcourt with Appling, Harris and Travis Trice. Appling, a senior, will be expected to bring leadership, poise and purpose to the Spartans.

Harris is as complete a guard as there is in the country. The sophomore plays the game at an easy pace, shoots the ball well and can get a shot off the bounce or catch. He has a football player's competitive spirit and toughness. Trice gives Izzo versatility and another perimeter player who can shoot the ball with range. Denzel Valentine is a versatile wing who is a creative passer and should be a significant contributor this season.

The frontcourt is led by Payne, a gifted offensive player. He runs, rebounds and can score both facing the basket and on the block. He is complemented in the post by Branden Dawson, a hard-cutting, undersized power forward who is tough to keep off the offensive glass. The X factor for the Spartans is redshirt freshman Kenny Kaminski, a 6-8 forward who can stretch the defense. He will add another dimension to the frontcourt.

2. Michigan Wolverines
John Beilein has stabilized the Michigan basketball program. Coming off an appearance in the NCAA championship game, the Wolverines are poised to again compete for a Big Ten title. Despite the loss of national player of the year Trey Burke and guard Tim Hardaway Jr. -- both of whom were picked in the first round of the NBA draft -- Michigan has a deep, athletic and experienced roster.

The Wolverines return one of the best shooters in the country in 6-6 wing Nik Stauskas (44 percent from 3-point range), one of the most athletic hybrid forwards in Glenn Robinson III and one of the best rebounders in Mitch McGary. Caris LeVert, a 6-6 wing player, is poised to have a breakout season. He has the size and skill that Beilein likes in his perimeter players.

The big question for Michigan is who will be the play-starter and playmaker? Spike Albrecht can make shots and understands the system, but I expect freshman Derrick Walton to eventually earn the starting point guard position. Walton is a pure point guard with an excellent feel for the game.

The Wolverines have depth in their frontcourt, with senior Jordan Morgan and freshmen Mark Donnal and Zak Irvin. It remains to be seen whether Robinson can be as effective at the small forward position as he was last season at power forward, playing off Burke's penetration. If Robinson concentrates on being a basketball player as opposed to a position player, it will be in the best interest of the Wolverines.

3. Ohio State Buckeyes
Ohio State returns four starters, led by one of the best point guards in the country in Aaron Craft. The one loss for the Buckeyes is a big one: Deshaun Thomas, who led them in both scoring (19.8 points per game) and rebounding (5.9), left early for the NBA.

The backcourt is experienced and versatile. Coach Thad Matta can play Craft with sharpshooting guard Lenzelle Smith and Shannon Scott. When Scott and Craft are in the game together, the Buckeyes play faster and have the ability to disrupt with their ball pressure.

The key will be the development of their junior frontcourt players. Sam Thompson, LaQuinton Ross and Amir Williams all showed signs of having a breakthrough last season. Ross has the size and skill set to replace the scoring of Thomas, while Thompson is one of the more explosive athletes in the conference. Williams must finish better and, if he develops a go-to move to complement his defensive talents, will be one of the better post players in the league.

Consistency from that group will determine if Ohio State is merely an NCAA tournament team or a squad that could be considered one of the nation's elite.

4. Wisconsin Badgers
The Badgers have finished among the top four teams in the Big Ten every season Bo Ryan has been the coach, and I don't see that streak being broken. Ryan has a program where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. That's not saying the Badgers aren't talented, but the key to their consistency is their playing style and system.

Ben Brust is a productive player who affects the game in a number of ways. He is Wisconsin's leading returning scorer and rebounder, and will be joined in the backcourt by medical redshirt Josh Gasser. A healthy Gasser gives Wisconsin a backcourt that is tough, physical and experienced. The development of Traevon Jackson gives the Badgers three guards who can make plays.

Sam Dekker, at 6-8, had an outstanding freshman season. He is a versatile forward who fits perfectly into Ryan's swing offense. He can shoot the ball to the 3-point line -- half of his shots were from that range -- and has the athletic ability to get to the basket.

Freshman Nigel Hayes must contribute as a freshman. He is a perfect fit for the Badgers as a power forward who can both score on the block and shoot the ball with range. Frank Kaminsky, a 6-11 forward, showed signs of developing in the Ryan system, and he must be productive for the Badgers to finish in the top four of the Big Ten.

5. Iowa Hawkeyes
Coach Fran McCaffery has the Hawkeyes poised to rise in the Big Ten pecking order. They have a go-to scorer in 6-6 wing Roy Devyn Marble, an experienced and athletic forward in 6-8 Aaron White and a solid senior frontcourt banger in Melsahn Basabe.

A key for Iowa will be the continued development of sophomores Adam Woodbury and Mike Gesell. The 7-1, 235-pound Woodbury had a solid season, averaging 4.9 points and just under a rebound every three minutes. With a summer of hard work in the weight room, he should be able to hold a position both offensively and defensively.

Gesell did a nice job of being a play-starter in his first season, but he needs to create and to take care of the basketball. Although he didn't shoot a great percentage, I expect his numbers to improve now that he has a full season of experience and knows where his shots are coming from.

The X factor for Iowa is 6-9 Jarrod Uthoff. The Wisconsin transfer is a hybrid forward who is essentially a sixth starter. He can put it on the floor and shoot, and he rebounds his position.

If the pieces fall into place, the Hawkeyes will be a player not only in the Big Ten, but also might make a deep run in the NCAA tournament. They must shoot better to challenge Michigan State, Michigan, Wisconsin and Ohio State.

6. Indiana Hoosiers
Tom Crean has done a terrific job returning Indiana to elite status in college basketball. He has been excellent in evaluating, recruiting and developing players. Cody Zeller and Yogi Ferrell gave the Hoosiers credibility in the state, but it was the development of Victor Oladipo, Will Sheehey and Christian Watford that enabled Indiana to win a piece of the Big Ten title and make a run to the Sweet 16.

This season's Hoosiers will be a team in transition. Can the returning players prosper in their new roles?

Sheehey was extremely effective coming off the bench, bringing energy to the Hoosiers. He should be even better in a more prominent role. Ferrell is an excellent on-ball defender, attacking player and playmaker. He showed an improved shot-making ability as the season progressed. Jeremy Hollowell and Arizona State transfer Evan Gordon will play prominent roles.

The Hoosiers are expecting Noah Vonleh to be a difference-maker as a freshman. The 6-8 forward has a unique skill set. He is a freakish athlete who can put the ball on the floor and shoot with range.

If Indiana's posts develop, this will be a complete team that will challenge for the top four in the Big Ten.

7. Purdue Boilermakers
Coach Matt Painter has done a magnificent job at Purdue, but he is coming off a disappointing season where he had to rely on a number of freshmen. The key to a bounce-back season will be sophomore A.J. Hammons. The 7-foot, 280-pound center has the potential to be one of the more dominating post players in the Big Ten. Hammons has excellent hands and a feel for how to score, but must learn to play hard all of the time if he is going to be the focal point for Purdue.

The Boilermakers were offensively challenged last season, averaging only 66 points a game. For them to make a serious improvement, Painter will need both Terone Johnson and Ronnie Johnson to play at a high level. They possess outstanding quickness and the ability to get to the basket. Ronnie Johnson needs to shoot the ball more consistently. Incoming freshman Kendall Stephens will give the Boilermakers a boost. At 6-5, with a 6-9 reach, he is long, active and can make shots. He will be an immediate impact player.

The big question is whether Purdue will get back to playing Matt Painter basketball: tough, physical and difficult to score against defensively.

8. Minnesota Golden Gophers
New Richard Pitino inherits a versatile backcourt in Andre Hollins and Austin Hollins. Although they are not related, the two guards complement each other well. Andre is capable of knocking down the 3-pointer while Austin is one of the better slashing open-court players in the Big Ten. They will be joined by FIU transfer Malik Smith, a 6-2 guard who averaged 14.1 points a game last season and will be eligible immediately.

The three-guard lineup will fit well into Pitino's running, pressing style of play. If the Gophers can get some frontcourt help, they could be a sleeper in the Big Ten.

9. Northwestern Wildcats
Former Duke assistant Chris Collins is now at the helm in Evanston. He inherits a team with a skilled backcourt capable of competing in the Big Ten, and a 7-foot center who has the potential to develop.

The Wildcats' perimeter game is deep and experienced. Point guard Dave Sobolewski is joined by 6-5 wing Drew Crawford and scoring combo guard Tre Demps. The return of 6-5 guard JerShon Cobb after a season-long suspension also will help. I expect Crawford to play some at the power forward position when Collins goes small and looks to put pressure on the defense.

Alex Olah is a 7-foot, 270-pound post player with excellent hands and feel. Although he needs to get stronger, he has the potential to be a solid Big Ten center.

Collins is changing the culture at Northwestern. He will build the program with his Duke pedigree and his Illinois roots. There will be an emphasis on toughness, defense and recruiting. Collins has one 2014 commitment already in Victor Law, who is the Wildcats' highest-rated recruit in recent memory.

10. Illinois Fighting Illini
John Groce did an excellent job with a senior-laden team last season. Behind the guard play duo of Brandon Paul and D.J. Richardson, the Illini earned an NCAA tournament berth. But this will be a new Fighting Illini team with only three returning players and a lot of questions.

Can returning starter Tracy Abrams lead a talented class of freshmen and transfers? Will athletic fifth-year senior Joseph Bertrand take his game to another level? Will Nnanna Egwu give Illinois an inside presence? Will the skill set of hybrid wing Rayvonte Rice, a 6-4, 240-pound transfer from Drake, translate successfully in the Big Ten?

Groce has established a system built on attacking off the bounce and being aggressive. If the pieces fit, this will be a fun team to watch develop during the course of the season. And if Oregon State transfer Ahmad Starks is allowed to play right away, the Illini could climb a few spots in these rankings in a hurry.

11. Penn State Nittany Lions
Coach Pat Chambers has the Nittany Lions playing hard and competing. The rebuilding process took a hit, though, when second-leading scorer Jermaine Marshall (15.3 PPG) decided to leave the program and transfer to Arizona State. Marshall could have teamed with medical redshirt Tim Frazier and slasher D.J. Newbill (16.3 PPG) to form one of the more explosive scoring perimeter games in the Big Ten.

The Nittany Lions struggled shooting the ball last season, ranking No. 326 in the country in field goal percentage. They must share the ball better (334th in assists per game), and someone in the frontcourt must step up if they are going to move up in the standings.

12. Nebraska Cornhuskers
Tim Miles has the attitude and the work ethic to make Nebraska competitive in the Big Ten. He understands that it is a process built one recruiting class at a time. The facilities are in place in Lincoln; now the Huskers must elevate the talent on their roster.

Nebraska will be led this season by senior Ray Gallegos and sophomore Shavon Shields, Miles had three talented players sit out last season who should play major roles in 2013-14. Terran Petteway is a Texas Tech transfer who can play anywhere from point guard to power forward. Deverell Biggs is a former junior college point guard who has the size and experience to compete in the Big Ten. Walter Pitchford, a 6-10 Florida transfer, brings length, athleticism and skill to the frontcourt.

There's some talent in Lincoln (including incoming freshman combo guard Tai Webster), but patience is needed.

-------------------
I wanna go to where the martyrs went
the brown figures on the walls of my apart-a-ment...

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

The draft is over, we need a CBB offseason post. [View all] , guru0509, Fri Jul-05-13 02:29 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Prospect-loaded teams for 2013-14
Jul 05th 2013
Those top seven teams are so awesome.
Jul 05th 2013
2014 Big Ten recruiting primer
Jul 05th 2013
RE: 2014 Big East recruiting primer
Jul 05th 2013
RE: 2014 Pac12 recruiting primer
Jul 05th 2013
Is there an ACC one?
Jul 05th 2013
nah
Jul 05th 2013
RE: 2014 Big 12 recruiting primer
Jul 06th 2013
RE: 2014 SEC recruiting primer
Jul 06th 2013
UM, OSU, MSU, and IU...jesus christ
Jul 08th 2013
overlooking UW, I see, not that I'm surprised
Jul 08th 2013
      no disrespect but I dont think Bo Ryan gives anyone scares in recruiting...
Jul 08th 2013
           no, he doesn't scare in recruiting but regardless his
Jul 10th 2013
good lookin' out
Jul 08th 2013
We should be good, but I have very little faith in Cuonzo Martin
Jul 05th 2013
Julius Randle, Willie Cauley-Stein, Alex Poythress, Dakari Johnson.
Jul 05th 2013
Cauley-Stein didn't really impress me last year.
Jul 05th 2013
Right now, I just see him as a height and athleticism guy.
Jul 05th 2013
Re: free throws...
Jul 05th 2013
Dante Exum for the 2nd Semester? Why the fuck not.
Jul 05th 2013
I read that... but I kind of doubt it happens.
Jul 05th 2013
      I doubt it too. I don't know where he'd play.
Jul 06th 2013
Cuse
Jul 05th 2013
Butler hires Brandon Miller as next head coach
Jul 06th 2013
dodged a bullet...heard they took a long look at Lavall Jordan
Jul 08th 2013
Chris Walker ruled ineligible.
Jul 08th 2013
like Derrick Rose & Enes Kanter?
Jul 08th 2013
Derrick who?
Jul 08th 2013
dodging or having them taken away?
Jul 09th 2013
      Either way. His judgment or luck has saved us from bad apples.
Jul 09th 2013
           I appreciate your honesty lol
Jul 09th 2013
Roy gotta put a ban on recruiting these Greensboro niggas.
Jul 09th 2013
He should've just gone pro.
Jul 09th 2013
      Yeah he should've, hell he might've slid into the first round
Jul 09th 2013
Beware: UCONN is postseason eligible again.
Jul 09th 2013
A Napier-led team is gonna be fun/frustrating to watch.
Jul 09th 2013
      He played injured most of last season, so he'll be better
Jul 09th 2013
      Shabazz was nothing at all like that last year
Jul 27th 2013
Do we REALLY think next year's draft is that legendary?
Jul 09th 2013
It sounds like Wiggins & Randle are separating themselves from the pack
Jul 09th 2013
I'm holding out on Randle.
Jul 09th 2013
      I don't see Randle as a get fat guy.
Jul 09th 2013
           I'll concede the weight thing.
Jul 09th 2013
                He might not be Webber or KG. Those are phenomenal talents.
Jul 09th 2013
                     Fair. The "2014 Best Draft Ever" crew gives him KG/Webb hype.
Jul 09th 2013
                          parts of toine/odom w/ super athleticism
Jul 09th 2013
GRIII + McGary = Back-to-Back first rounders for UM
Jul 09th 2013
Trey Lyles: "Kentucky gets players to the league faster, but Louisville
Jul 12th 2013
Cardinals got Jaquan Lyle as well, who is gonna be GOOD
Jul 12th 2013
Yep, and they're good friends.
Jul 12th 2013
Doesn't he still have UK on his list?
Jul 12th 2013
      Yep, which makes me think he just might be dumb.
Jul 12th 2013
           In his defense, Earl Clark and Terrence Williams...
Jul 12th 2013
Tyus Jones reaffirms the notion that he and Jahlil Okafor are a package ...
Jul 12th 2013
*sprinkles anti-jinx powder on post*
Jul 12th 2013
      there's some other big men in this class...none as skilled as Okafor tho
Jul 12th 2013
           I want Goodluck too, just for the name comedy.
Jul 12th 2013
           I have now moved onto Turner.
Jul 12th 2013
Count 'Em Down: Coaches at a crossroads
Jul 27th 2013
Rick Barnes is toast.
Jul 27th 2013
      that'll be a fun coaching search to watch, bc Texas is a ripe opening
Jul 27th 2013
Anybody interested in joining a Survivor CBB league?
Jul 27th 2013
*THE* Ohio State University
Jul 27th 2013

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2206311 Previous topic | Next topic