Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #742801

Subject: "The Power of the Dog (Campion, Netflix, 2021)" Previous topic | Next topic
Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15316 posts
Tue Dec-07-21 06:54 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"The Power of the Dog (Campion, Netflix, 2021)"

So PTP isn't fuckin' with critics' favorite Oscar contender, eh?

Good 'cause it's basic. I LIKE it, and it LOOKS good, and sometimes the performances are GOOD but boy does this movie mistake being elusive for being clever. Half the time it feels like the characters are talking in non sequiturs to each other just to keep the audience from latching on, while at others it's so try-hardy cowpoke which is really just a shame considering the heater westerns and western-likes have been on from There Will Be Blood, The Coward Robert Ford and the True Grit reboot all the way up through the video game Red Dead Redemption II and The Ballad of Buster Scruggs.

Again, I think it's a recommendable movie if you like the director, the actors, the genre, but I'm shocked just how over the moon people are about this one. I mean, am I being weird or didn't Cumberbatch's character actually wind up coming off like a pretty decent guy who didn't deserve all the shit he got from these judgy ass people surrounding him?

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

The Power of the Dog (Campion, Netflix, 2021) [View all] , Nodima, Tue Dec-07-21 06:54 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
i like how you described it as elusive
Dec 08th 2021
i had to watch this a 2nd time. i kinda wandered through the 1st.
Jan 05th 2022
now it got caught in the culture warz with the Sam Elliot/Campion thing
Mar 17th 2022
I would not call Cumberbatch's character a "pretty decent guy," lol.
Jan 05th 2022
All fair points!
Jan 19th 2022
Looks, sounds, acting.. all amazing. Didn't like it much
Mar 16th 2022
Why was this an oscar nominee?
May 10th 2022
Because enough Academy members considered it worthy.
May 11th 2022
      I wouldn't be surprised if "Westerns" become this century's period piece
May 12th 2022

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #742801 Previous topic | Next topic