Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #742632

Subject: "Interestingly enough" Previous topic | Next topic
Numba_33
Charter member
19336 posts
Mon Jun-26-23 08:21 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
22. "Interestingly enough"
In response to In response to 20

this is the second black dramatic streaming show that Walton Goggins has appeared in. I don't want to go too off tangent with this response since this thread is all about I'm A Virgo, but if you haven't, please check out The Last Days of Ptolemy Grey. Goggins plays somewhat of an antagonist role on that show as well, but he isn't a villain persay as much as he was in I'm A Virgo.

Back I'm A Virgo itself, this show didn't suffer from the more fantasy/sci-fi story telling aspects like torpedoing the show like Sorry To Bother You did; I'm specifically referring to the last third act of Sorry to Bother You that just go way to silly despite how stellar the world building was in the first two-thirds of the movie. This show was much more balanced in the storytelling and character building despite how over the top some of the aspects were; it reminded me a bit of Everything Everywhere All At Once in being able to get the view to believe in the more abstract themes of the show early on.

Like you said in your review, it's a trip and a half that this show ended up on Amazon given how the heavy anti-Capitalism slant the show has. I suppose all the streaming platforms sadly enough are Big Business with a capital B, so it wouldn't have mattered which streaming platform Boots Riley partnered up with; I would argue that Amazon is the worst of the bunch, but that's for another post altogether.

I did a brief web search for rolling blackouts and I had no clue they were still a thing as recent as last year. I very very vaguely remember hearing about them either in the 90's or early 2000's. I had assumed they were a thing of the past; most unfortunate to hear they are still a recent occurrence. California or parts of California having a shoddy power grid makes me somewhat question to decision to do away with gas powered combustion cars since EV cars will have to use the same shoddy power grid to charges their cars. To be clear, I'm all for EV car usage as that will lessen the dependence on oil and help to somewhat clean up green house gases, but seems a bit odd to go that hard in the paint with EV cars if the power grid needs upgrade in a general sense. That subject definitely doesn't have much relevance with the show, so pardon me if that leads to this thread going too off the rails.

Lastly, I wonder if this will garner enough attention in terms of ratings to merit a second season. I'd love to see what else Boots Riley has in the pipe.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

I'm A Virgo (Boots Riley, Amazon, 2022) [View all] , Castro, Fri Nov-19-21 06:44 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Sounds pretty dope
Nov 23rd 2021
As a Virgo, I'm in off the title
Nov 25th 2021
Hilarious since Amazon is basically Worry Free
Dec 02nd 2021
I CANNOT WAIT!!!!!!! TEASER!!!!!
Mar 06th 2023
Will always check out whatever Boots is doing.
Mar 07th 2023
Yup. Sorry to Bother You was such a revelation.
Mar 09th 2023
Kinda wish it was a movie, tbh.
Mar 07th 2023
Me too.
Mar 09th 2023
I said it some other post and I stand by it. Mike Epps will get an oscar
Mar 08th 2023
I can see this.
Mar 09th 2023
Seems a lot bigger than 13ft tall.
Mar 09th 2023
Boots published stills from the show today...
Mar 09th 2023
Official trailer is nuts...Let's GoOOOOoo:
Jun 03rd 2023
Oh interesting they cut more of a superhero type trailer.
Jun 05th 2023
I liked the trailer.
Jun 07th 2023
Today is the day!!!!
Jun 23rd 2023
Smashed through four episodes last night. Liking it so far
Jun 23rd 2023
NO SPOILERS PLEASE...but excited to hear what you think
Jun 23rd 2023
Watched the first episode last night, really enjoyed it
Jun 23rd 2023
I’m four episodes in and liking it so far
Jun 25th 2023
Okay, finished it. It's very good. (some SPOILERS)
Jun 23rd 2023
I enjoyed it but was surprised that's where it finished (SPOILERS)
Jun 26th 2023
Impressive.
Jun 26th 2023
Cute...
Jun 26th 2023
Watched it today. (Mild Spoilers)
Jun 26th 2023
Man, I wanted to love this
Jun 29th 2023

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #742632 Previous topic | Next topic