Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #742632

Subject: "I'm A Virgo (Boots Riley, Amazon, 2022)" Previous topic | Next topic
Castro
Charter member
50745 posts
Fri Nov-19-21 06:44 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"I'm A Virgo (Boots Riley, Amazon, 2022)"

(swipe)

Amazon has given a series order to “I’m a Virgo” from Boots Riley with Jharrel Jerome attached to star.

The half-hour series is a co-production between Amazon Studios and Media Res. It is described as an absurdist, coming of age story about a 13-foot-tall Black man (Jerome) who lives in Oakland, CA.

Riley wrote the series and will also direct. He serves as executive producer along with Michael Ellenberg of Media Res, Tze Chun, and Jerome.

“I’m thrilled to be working with Amazon on this project,” said Riley. “This show will either have me lauded or banned, and as such, I have demanded payment up front.”

------------------
One Hundred.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Sounds pretty dope
Nov 23rd 2021
As a Virgo, I'm in off the title
Nov 25th 2021
Hilarious since Amazon is basically Worry Free
Dec 02nd 2021
I CANNOT WAIT!!!!!!! TEASER!!!!!
Mar 06th 2023
Will always check out whatever Boots is doing.
Mar 07th 2023
Yup. Sorry to Bother You was such a revelation.
Mar 09th 2023
Kinda wish it was a movie, tbh.
Mar 07th 2023
Me too.
Mar 09th 2023
I said it some other post and I stand by it. Mike Epps will get an oscar
Mar 08th 2023
I can see this.
Mar 09th 2023
Seems a lot bigger than 13ft tall.
Mar 09th 2023
Boots published stills from the show today...
Mar 09th 2023
Official trailer is nuts...Let's GoOOOOoo:
Jun 03rd 2023
Oh interesting they cut more of a superhero type trailer.
Jun 05th 2023
I liked the trailer.
Jun 07th 2023
Today is the day!!!!
Jun 23rd 2023
Smashed through four episodes last night. Liking it so far
Jun 23rd 2023
NO SPOILERS PLEASE...but excited to hear what you think
Jun 23rd 2023
Watched the first episode last night, really enjoyed it
Jun 23rd 2023
I’m four episodes in and liking it so far
Jun 25th 2023
Okay, finished it. It's very good. (some SPOILERS)
Jun 23rd 2023
Interestingly enough
Jun 26th 2023
I enjoyed it but was surprised that's where it finished (SPOILERS)
Jun 26th 2023
Impressive.
Jun 26th 2023
Cute...
Jun 26th 2023
Watched it today. (Mild Spoilers)
Jun 26th 2023
Man, I wanted to love this
Jun 29th 2023

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8747 posts
Tue Nov-23-21 01:34 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Sounds pretty dope"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm in on whatever he makes next.

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

Adwhizz
Member since Nov 12th 2003
40925 posts
Thu Nov-25-21 08:51 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "As a Virgo, I'm in off the title"
In response to Reply # 0

And the strength of Sorry to Bother You

R.I.P. Loud But Wrong Guy
Dec 29th 2009 - Dec 17th 2017

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Thu Dec-02-21 09:00 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "Hilarious since Amazon is basically Worry Free"
In response to Reply # 0

They have boosted wages since Sorry to Bother You dropped tho

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com

Castro
Charter member
50745 posts
Mon Mar-06-23 10:00 PM

4. "I CANNOT WAIT!!!!!!! TEASER!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Boots can do no wrong....TEASER:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYfpWY330mM

------------------
One Hundred.

Ryan M
Member since Oct 21st 2002
43737 posts
Tue Mar-07-23 01:24 PM

5. "Will always check out whatever Boots is doing."
In response to Reply # 0

His brain just works differently.

------------------------------

17x NBA Champions

spades
Member since Mar 22nd 2006
44257 posts
Thu Mar-09-23 11:16 AM

8. "Yup. Sorry to Bother You was such a revelation."
In response to Reply # 5

I'm in.

Get Out The Room!
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
@fakewilliamkatt

"You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do!" - Olin Miller

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86670 posts
Tue Mar-07-23 11:31 PM

6. "Kinda wish it was a movie, tbh."
In response to Reply # 0

I feel like TV shows, especially on streaming, get lost in the sauce so easily.

This seems like an incredibly fucking cool project.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

spades
44257 posts
Thu Mar-09-23 11:16 AM

9. "Me too."
In response to Reply # 6

Get Out The Room!
@fakewilliamkatt

"You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do!" - Olin Miller

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49394 posts
Wed Mar-08-23 07:39 PM

7. "I said it some other post and I stand by it. Mike Epps will get an oscar"
In response to Reply # 0

nod in the next 10 years. Not even saying he is a good actor, but if he finds the role that lets him be himself.... Someone is going to give him that perfect script for him and he is going to kill it. Not saying this is it, but it is just a matter of time.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

spades
44257 posts
Thu Mar-09-23 11:17 AM

10. "I can see this."
In response to Reply # 7

He was amazing in Survivor's Remorse.

Get Out The Room!
@fakewilliamkatt

spades
44257 posts
Thu Mar-09-23 11:17 AM

11. "Seems a lot bigger than 13ft tall."
In response to Reply # 0

that quibble aside, I'm in!

Get Out The Room!
@fakewilliamkatt

Castro
Charter member
50745 posts
Thu Mar-09-23 08:23 PM

12. "Boots published stills from the show today..."
In response to Reply # 0

Wild seeing Olivia Washington ("your order is ready, Big Man") laying on him in one still.

------------------
One Hundred.

Castro
Charter member
50745 posts
Sat Jun-03-23 06:40 PM

13. "Official trailer is nuts...Let's GoOOOOoo:"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSyKhFwEo7c

------------------
One Hundred.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49394 posts
Mon Jun-05-23 09:15 AM

14. "Oh interesting they cut more of a superhero type trailer. "
In response to Reply # 13

I am sure that's an easier way to lure people in. I'm psyched either way.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

JiggysMyDayJob
Member since Jul 03rd 2002
5178 posts
Wed Jun-07-23 08:42 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
15. "I liked the trailer."
In response to Reply # 13

Really interesting premise and they got my dude Walt Goggins in it too.

sometimes u gotta leave ur inner nigger in the bank vault. - desus

Situation Podemy : www.situationpodemy.wordpress.com
itunes:https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/situation-podemy/id620232249
facebook: facebook.com/situationpodemy
@SituationPodemy

Castro
Charter member
50745 posts
Fri Jun-23-23 09:56 AM

16. "Today is the day!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

------------------
One Hundred.

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44713 posts
Fri Jun-23-23 10:45 AM

17. "Smashed through four episodes last night. Liking it so far"
In response to Reply # 0

More thoughts after I finish it later on today.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

Castro
Charter member
50745 posts
Fri Jun-23-23 03:55 PM

18. "NO SPOILERS PLEASE...but excited to hear what you think"
In response to Reply # 17

------------------
One Hundred.

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16414 posts
Fri Jun-23-23 04:24 PM

19. "Watched the first episode last night, really enjoyed it"
In response to Reply # 0

There are some goofy shots due to scale but much less than you would expect and somehow much better than what Marvel does lol

Excited to see where it goes.

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Sun Jun-25-23 01:36 AM

21. "I’m four episodes in and liking it so far"
In response to Reply # 19

There is one shocking moment that I wish didn’t have to happen but we will go into that when more of y’all have seen the series

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44713 posts
Fri Jun-23-23 09:44 PM

20. "Okay, finished it. It's very good. (some SPOILERS)"
In response to Reply # 0

It's a very Boots Riley show.

It's unpolished with rough edges. But in a good way. Boots leans in to a lot of fantastical elements, and never attempts to explain why they've happened/are happening, which is good. It's also got big ideas that it often tackles in a complex way.

As others have said, it's fucking amazing that a show this anti-capitalist and straight up communist made it out there, much less on Amazon. It's also amazing that it never seems like they made Boots modulate his message to make it more palatable (Word to the final episode).

It also helps that the acting is very good and it's often very funny with a lot of heart. Jharrel Jerome is very good, as is Olivia Washington, and Carmen Ejogo and Michael Epps. Epps is particularly hilarious. Boots continues his obsession with cheaply drawn, existential cartoons, which continues to be entertaining.

There's a lot of great Bay Area references: PG&E (the electric company) not being shit. Clowning people from Marin County. A few of the Raiders' references are dated, but the Marshawn Lynch shout-out was cool.

Just a couple of issues:

1. I wish there was more of Walton Goggins. He's awesome in everything he's in, and pretty much owns whenever he's on the screen here. He's a fascinating villain, and the episode where they spotlight him is probably the best of the series. They only really scratch the surface with a lot of the interesting stuff about him. His "moving" headquarters is great, and the best running gag on the show is his AI talking and sounding like Bill Cosby.

2. They really should have shot this in Oakland. They obviously shot some of the interiors in Oakland restaurants or bars, and they used establishing and overhead shots of Oakland and San Francisco landmarks, but it was mostly shot in New Orleans. The show is very much drenched in Bay Area lore, so it feels strange that they didn't film there, presumably to cut costs. Which underlies the other minor issues in that some of the show look like it was shot on the cheap. But that's more of an Amazon problem, as they should have given Boots the money to shoot on location in the Bay and use actual crowds of extras.

But overall, very good offering. I don't know if this is a one and done, or they're setting up for another season, but it works both ways.

Boy-yoy-yoy-yoy-yoyng.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

Numba_33
Charter member
19328 posts
Mon Jun-26-23 08:21 AM

22. "Interestingly enough"
In response to Reply # 20

this is the second black dramatic streaming show that Walton Goggins has appeared in. I don't want to go too off tangent with this response since this thread is all about I'm A Virgo, but if you haven't, please check out The Last Days of Ptolemy Grey. Goggins plays somewhat of an antagonist role on that show as well, but he isn't a villain persay as much as he was in I'm A Virgo.

Back I'm A Virgo itself, this show didn't suffer from the more fantasy/sci-fi story telling aspects like torpedoing the show like Sorry To Bother You did; I'm specifically referring to the last third act of Sorry to Bother You that just go way to silly despite how stellar the world building was in the first two-thirds of the movie. This show was much more balanced in the storytelling and character building despite how over the top some of the aspects were; it reminded me a bit of Everything Everywhere All At Once in being able to get the view to believe in the more abstract themes of the show early on.

Like you said in your review, it's a trip and a half that this show ended up on Amazon given how the heavy anti-Capitalism slant the show has. I suppose all the streaming platforms sadly enough are Big Business with a capital B, so it wouldn't have mattered which streaming platform Boots Riley partnered up with; I would argue that Amazon is the worst of the bunch, but that's for another post altogether.

I did a brief web search for rolling blackouts and I had no clue they were still a thing as recent as last year. I very very vaguely remember hearing about them either in the 90's or early 2000's. I had assumed they were a thing of the past; most unfortunate to hear they are still a recent occurrence. California or parts of California having a shoddy power grid makes me somewhat question to decision to do away with gas powered combustion cars since EV cars will have to use the same shoddy power grid to charges their cars. To be clear, I'm all for EV car usage as that will lessen the dependence on oil and help to somewhat clean up green house gases, but seems a bit odd to go that hard in the paint with EV cars if the power grid needs upgrade in a general sense. That subject definitely doesn't have much relevance with the show, so pardon me if that leads to this thread going too off the rails.

Lastly, I wonder if this will garner enough attention in terms of ratings to merit a second season. I'd love to see what else Boots Riley has in the pipe.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16414 posts
Mon Jun-26-23 09:59 AM

23. "I enjoyed it but was surprised that's where it finished (SPOILERS)"

I thought there would be more to it. I guess I thought the power plant plan was just the first step and there would be another big plot that they would do this season. No idea if there are plans for future seasons but I could see it going either way.

I did binge most of it and I wish I didn't. I was pretty tired so I dozed off in a couple spots. My main question is when did those people get shrunk down??? lol I remember seeing it in a scene where I thought it was just a dream but then when they showed up again and were tiny I was lost. I think the leader of them was my favorite character.

Overall the show was pretty funny but kind of muted. Its not a nonstop comedy but it does keep hitting you with some pretty unique humor.

I do agree with the below poster that they balanced the surreal aspects on this much better than they did on Sorry to Bother You.

I wonder if the anti-capitalist scenes are going to be too preachy for some. I kind of wish he could have been more subtle about that but at the same time I get the point of being straight up with it instead. I think to me it made it seem a bit disjointed. Without those scenes it would be similar to many other recent (anti?) super hero shows but with a black perspective. I'm probably off base but it made me wonder if that was the compromise he made.

The building thing was golden. I took it at as a statement on how the ultra rich and even many of us are willing to do so much damage to the world for our convenience.

The AI voice was hilarious. I use CC because of how low some dialogue can be and they even called it Bill Cosby voice. It was funny when he mentioned it was just a recent thing.

I'm going to try to yell Raiders next time lol

spades
44257 posts
Mon Jun-26-23 11:14 AM

24. "Impressive."

I cannot believe Amazon greenlit this. Especially when one could even say that Goggins character could even be interpreted as a Bezos type.

the skewering of the Batman mythos

The critique of he health care system

The power plant

My only gripe is I think they got some of he forced perspective stuff off.

At times he seemed way bigger than 13ft tall, other times he seemed right on.

Get Out The Room!
@fakewilliamkatt

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Mon Jun-26-23 04:42 PM

25. "Cute..."
In response to Reply # 0

..enjoyed the series.

A bit preachy at times, but no more than anything else Riley has done.

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...

Castro
Charter member
50745 posts
Mon Jun-26-23 08:24 PM

26. "Watched it today. (Mild Spoilers)"
In response to Reply # 0

It was surreal watching it in NOLA.

Recognized some shots from Oakland, but I can definitely see the NOLA

Jharrel Jerome and Olivia Washington are marvels, for a myriad of reasons we'll run down later.

Mike Epps is understated, and that makes his jokes hit the mark.

Walton Goggins is incredible too.

I don't know how Boots will get a second season, but even so, hit every target he wanted to hit in this one.

Its bombastic by design and does it in a way that from a story perspective, its a step up from Sorry to Bother you. Visually, the gag of Cootie being 13 ft tall does vary at times, but it works for comedic effect most of the time.

Some of the cameos are funny as shit....can't wait to watch it again.

------------------
One Hundred.

seandammit
Member since May 28th 2003
6522 posts
Thu Jun-29-23 01:59 AM

27. "Man, I wanted to love this "
In response to Reply # 0

Big fan of 'Sorry to Bother You' (like, saw it in the theater three times-level fan).

In many ways this felt like a great companion piece to that film. The cinematography and world-building was really fun and creative. Jharrel Jerome and Olivia Washington were great. And I enjoyed a lot of the nods that you would expect from the creator being in the Coup (loved hearing Hiero's "Oakland Blackouts" playing in one of the scenes).

That said, after the first few episodes I really felt like this thing went off the rails. The pacing started getting really tedious, I had zero interest in the episode centered on the Hero (whole thing felt like it totally fucked up the arc of the story and seemed pointless), and the last episode just didn't do it for me.

Mind you, I love Boots' anti-capitalist stance and really enjoyed how so much of that informed STBY and the first half of this series...but the way that it was so spelled out in that final monologue just felt tone-deaf to me. It totally took me out.

I will see whatever Boots Riley does and I remain a fan. But by the time this season ended, I found myself really puzzled by how something that started so strong went awry so quickly.

www.twitter.com/seandammit

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #742632 Previous topic | Next topic