Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #694710

Subject: "Which media outlets do you turn to for movie/tv reviews?" Previous topic | Next topic
obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8751 posts
Fri Mar-20-15 01:06 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Which media outlets do you turn to for movie/tv reviews?"

The Ebert post about his biographical doc had me thinking about film reviews.

For a long while, most of the film reviews that I read are from this board or the L&L show.

I really liked Ebert's reviews as he seemed to really enjoy the act of watching movies and didn't seem as professionally upset if a movie wasn't well-made or had a sophisticated intent. Like ZooTown said in the Ebert doc post, he was populist or middle-class while having a respect for art or independent films but presented his ideas in a relateable way, at least for me.

I kind of fell out of movie review reading because I thought I needed to take a film class to really make out what the reviews were trying to convey. Not that it's in a writers best interest to 'dumb down' their message or even for a fan of films, but I got tired of feeling I wasn't in on the joke, so to speak.

Obviously there are other sites that offer reviews, but which are your favorite or review sites that you look for to offer effective criticism for a movie or tv show? Do you read reviews which offer competing views of movies to better judge if you'll watch a movie on your own?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Which media outlets do you turn to for movie/tv reviews? [View all] , obsidianchrysalis, Fri Mar-20-15 01:06 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Which media outlets do you turn to for movie/tv reviews?
Mar 20th 2015
thanks.
Mar 20th 2015
I don't follow outlets-- I follow particular critics.
Mar 20th 2015
you read just to gain a better understanding of filmmaking?
Mar 20th 2015
      I think of English class.
Mar 20th 2015
           thanks for the explanation...
Mar 20th 2015
                A good movie makes you think about your own life.
Mar 20th 2015
I generally try to read AV Club TV reviews after watching
Mar 20th 2015
I like the Tony K show and Ann Hornaday as well.
Mar 20th 2015
I like Matt Zoller Seitz (rogerebert.com)
Mar 20th 2015
rogerebert.com has a number of reviewers
Mar 20th 2015
Okp...
Mar 20th 2015
Zoller Sietz is a great critic, and a great follow on Twitter too...
Mar 20th 2015

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #694710 Previous topic | Next topic