Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #670585

Subject: "newsflash: this is a GOOD thing" Previous topic | Next topic
theprofessional
Charter member
8761 posts
Fri Jan-17-14 11:39 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "newsflash: this is a GOOD thing"
In response to In response to 3

>... is that it wildly favors the films that make more
>money/that more people have seen. If we'd done that during the
>Avengers/TDKR year, those films would have been 1 and 2 in the
>voting, because folks could have just voted on the few movies
>they've seen.

i don't know why y'all are so hung up on making these awards so snobby. like i've said before, this is a hip-hop message board for mostly 20/30-somethings, mostly males. if dark knight rises wins best picture, GOOD. i'd way rather something like that, which reflects the actual tastes of these boards, than some phony art house garbage like amour or... god, what was that abortion from last year? *googles* holy motors. stop. stop trying to tip the scales for this stuff. if the majority of people here saw pacific rim and loved pacific rim, then pacific rim should win best picture. this is OUR awards. if you want more balanced awards or more indie-focused awards, there are tons of other places for that. films that manage to find an audience HERE should be rewarded for that HERE. films that are popular and loved HERE should be reflected in OUR awards. period.

and i have to say, i have way more faith in PTP than you do. people here have seen 12 years, they've seen wolf of wall street, they've seen gravity, her, fruitvale, captain phillips, pacific rim, 42, before midnight, the heat, dat smaug. all those discussion posts are 50+ replies. people here like movies, they see movies, and they talk about movies. otherwise, they'd be in GD. you're convinced that mediocre popcorn fare like avengers and TDKR will sweep the lattes. i don't. the taste here is pretty diverse and actually pretty solid. let the people speak.

"i smack clowns with nouns, punch herbs with verbs..."

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

SPILLED LATTE NOMINATIONS: How should they work? [View all] , Frank Longo, Fri Jan-17-14 01:12 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
like the FYC thread.
Jan 17th 2014
The one problem with this...
Jan 17th 2014
      hence the points differential
Jan 17th 2014
      I see what you're saying.
Jan 17th 2014
      RE: hence the points differential
Jan 17th 2014
           Worst case scenario: it'd be easy to add the results both ways.
Jan 17th 2014
           i'm with this
Jan 17th 2014

newsflash: anti-elitism is just as dumb as elitism
Jan 29th 2014
FUCKING LATTES...How do they work?
Jan 17th 2014
Yeah, it's a risk/reward proposal.
Jan 17th 2014
GREEN - Just give lattes to my favorite movies this year
Jan 19th 2014
CONCLUSION: