Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #414323

Subject: "High School Musical 3: Or Why Zac Efron Is The Truth." Previous topic | Next topic
Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86796 posts
Sat Nov-15-08 10:59 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"High School Musical 3: Or Why Zac Efron Is The Truth."

Place a pause or a no homo or whatever you'd like in this post, but I'm about to drop some knowledge.

Zac Efron is the future. Just get ready, because girls are gonna be swooning over him until he decides to do some serious acting. And once he makes that transition, he's gonna be damn good at it too.

See, in these films, we've got bland plots, catchy but corny songs, choreography ranging from pretty good to mediocre, and nothing new to report. The reason why these movies succeed so well? (Aside from the Disney promotion machine?) It's Zac Efron. He's a natural.

If any of you have seen these films, you'd be aware of the silly shit that he has to do for 90-minute increments. He not only does them with a straight face, taking it totally seriously, but he sells you on it. There's a number in HSM3 that begs to be mocked, where he struggles between a life of basketball and theatre, as he dances around his abandoned high school at night while thunder and lightning flash through the windows. You could say what he's doing is cheesy, sure, but his sincerity shines, and somehow, regardless of how ridiculous it is, you buy it. You never sit and get sucked into his story, but you can admire the skill on display, and you find yourself, shockingly enough, caring at times.

The reason why High School Musical 3 is the best of the bunch is not simply because Zac Efron continues to get better, both in execution of skill and his sense of sincere fun, but it's crystal clear at the end of the film that this movie is not only the characters' graduation, but the actors graduating from the parts. There's a feeling of urgency, a last hurrah, that gives this film that extra push of honesty.

Regardless of the films-- I'm sure they're not the cup of tea of 98% of PTP, and they're not really even mine-- I just wanted to let those of you who haven't seen the kid work know that he really is good at what he does. He's gonna do the boy idol thing for several years, yearn for credibility, do a few transitional projects where he plays drug addicts or people with diseases (and play them well), then he'll be a marquee star again as an adult, as a real actor. It's not merely the idol status that draws comparisons to Leonardo DiCaprio... it's the fact that this guy at a young age is earnest and immensely watchable, both of which point to a terrific career.

Get ready, PTP.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

High School Musical 3: Or Why Zac Efron Is The Truth. [View all] , Frank Longo, Sat Nov-15-08 10:59 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
No.
Nov 16th 2008
Shia on the run, I told y'all this back in May
Nov 16th 2008
Fuck him. Don't Care. I just wanna see more Vanessa Hudgens
Nov 16th 2008
Even Leo DiCaprio said he's the truth
Nov 16th 2008
That Leo story was from Fox News and was phony
Nov 16th 2008
      lol....it makes sense now
Nov 16th 2008
He's got potential.
Nov 16th 2008
you watched HSM3? homo
Nov 16th 2008
that was obvious from day one
Nov 16th 2008
      ^^^ homophobe
Nov 16th 2008
           ^^^^piss poor talent scout. Corbin Bleu is the dual threat superstar
Nov 16th 2008
                Corbin Bleu is the next Wayne Brady.
Nov 16th 2008
                     only cuz he WHITE. corbin got 'dat 'lent
Nov 16th 2008
im not even touching this one.
Nov 16th 2008
That's (not) what he said.
Nov 16th 2008
kid's gotta learn to act first.
Nov 16th 2008
False. Dude has chops. PLUS, get this:
Nov 17th 2008
also, HSM1 is still the best one IMO
Nov 16th 2008
So answer me this
Nov 16th 2008
Are you talking about Me and Orson Welles?
Nov 16th 2008
what the fuck is wrong with y'all?
Nov 16th 2008
haha. seriously.
Nov 16th 2008
smhsmhsmhsmhsmhsmhsmh
Nov 16th 2008
And unlike, say, a Robert Pattinson, who's currently on the crest of thi...
Nov 17th 2008
Zac/truth = two words that should never be in the same sentence.
Nov 17th 2008

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #414323 Previous topic | Next topic