Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectHigh School Musical 3: Or Why Zac Efron Is The Truth.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=414323
414323, High School Musical 3: Or Why Zac Efron Is The Truth.
Posted by Frank Longo, Sat Nov-15-08 10:59 PM
Place a pause or a no homo or whatever you'd like in this post, but I'm about to drop some knowledge.

Zac Efron is the future. Just get ready, because girls are gonna be swooning over him until he decides to do some serious acting. And once he makes that transition, he's gonna be damn good at it too.

See, in these films, we've got bland plots, catchy but corny songs, choreography ranging from pretty good to mediocre, and nothing new to report. The reason why these movies succeed so well? (Aside from the Disney promotion machine?) It's Zac Efron. He's a natural.

If any of you have seen these films, you'd be aware of the silly shit that he has to do for 90-minute increments. He not only does them with a straight face, taking it totally seriously, but he sells you on it. There's a number in HSM3 that begs to be mocked, where he struggles between a life of basketball and theatre, as he dances around his abandoned high school at night while thunder and lightning flash through the windows. You could say what he's doing is cheesy, sure, but his sincerity shines, and somehow, regardless of how ridiculous it is, you buy it. You never sit and get sucked into his story, but you can admire the skill on display, and you find yourself, shockingly enough, caring at times.

The reason why High School Musical 3 is the best of the bunch is not simply because Zac Efron continues to get better, both in execution of skill and his sense of sincere fun, but it's crystal clear at the end of the film that this movie is not only the characters' graduation, but the actors graduating from the parts. There's a feeling of urgency, a last hurrah, that gives this film that extra push of honesty.

Regardless of the films-- I'm sure they're not the cup of tea of 98% of PTP, and they're not really even mine-- I just wanted to let those of you who haven't seen the kid work know that he really is good at what he does. He's gonna do the boy idol thing for several years, yearn for credibility, do a few transitional projects where he plays drug addicts or people with diseases (and play them well), then he'll be a marquee star again as an adult, as a real actor. It's not merely the idol status that draws comparisons to Leonardo DiCaprio... it's the fact that this guy at a young age is earnest and immensely watchable, both of which point to a terrific career.

Get ready, PTP.
414332, No.
Posted by magilla vanilla, Sun Nov-16-08 12:27 AM
Just.

No.
414333, Shia on the run, I told y'all this back in May
Posted by ZooTown74, Sun Nov-16-08 12:45 AM
http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=370642&mesg_id=370696

Fuck a Transformers 2, (bo)Zac fitna get Footloose on dat ass
________________________________________________________________________________________
<------ That's it, that's all.
414337, Fuck him. Don't Care. I just wanna see more Vanessa Hudgens
Posted by icecold21, Sun Nov-16-08 01:34 AM
She is fine.
414343, Even Leo DiCaprio said he's the truth
Posted by dunk, Sun Nov-16-08 04:40 AM
said "he's a young me../"

Ill have to wait to see but he'll definitely be given teh chances to shine and show his true acting chops. I won't be mad if he becomes even bigger but it has to be in some shit that's actually good and not this HSM bullshit.
414344, That Leo story was from Fox News and was phony
Posted by SoulHonky, Sun Nov-16-08 05:24 AM
Leo's people said he had never spoken to the reporter and every quote in the article was made up. Fox News quickly took the story down from their website after Leo's reps pointed out that the story was fiction.
414345, lol....it makes sense now
Posted by dunk, Sun Nov-16-08 05:30 AM
when he said "he reminds me of myself" i was skeptical but i went with it.
414349, He's got potential.
Posted by SoulHonky, Sun Nov-16-08 05:51 AM
But if there's ever a place where people don't live up to their potential, it's Hollywood.
414351, you watched HSM3? homo
Posted by Rjcc, Sun Nov-16-08 08:38 AM

FREE CHAI VANG!

YOU'VE READ MY FILE NIGGA (c) Jack 'Mufuckin' Bauer

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at
414357, that was obvious from day one
Posted by Janus, Sun Nov-16-08 10:18 AM
he is probably at the "jerking off" with guys stage and will movie to gettin it up the butt in the not-too-distant future.
414373, ^^^ homophobe
Posted by Frank Longo, Sun Nov-16-08 12:48 PM
414375, ^^^^piss poor talent scout. Corbin Bleu is the dual threat superstar
Posted by Rjcc, Sun Nov-16-08 12:50 PM

FREE CHAI VANG!

414380, Corbin Bleu is the next Wayne Brady.
Posted by Frank Longo, Sun Nov-16-08 01:26 PM
But Zac Efron is the next Leonardo DiCaprio.

Thus, I focused my reporting accordingly.
414450, only cuz he WHITE. corbin got 'dat 'lent
Posted by Rjcc, Sun Nov-16-08 06:26 PM

FREE CHAI VANG!

414383, im not even touching this one.
Posted by cereffusion, Sun Nov-16-08 01:50 PM

----
Obama '08
414434, That's (not) what he said.
Posted by buckshot defunct, Sun Nov-16-08 05:23 PM

414418, kid's gotta learn to act first.
Posted by Nukkapedia, Sun Nov-16-08 04:39 PM
I'm sure he'll be a star, but it won't be because of actual talent.
414496, False. Dude has chops. PLUS, get this:
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Nov-17-08 12:31 AM
I saw an old episode of CSI, where he was the killer. That shit was good too.
414451, also, HSM1 is still the best one IMO
Posted by Rjcc, Sun Nov-16-08 06:27 PM

FREE CHAI VANG!

414453, So answer me this
Posted by The European Miracle, Sun Nov-16-08 06:48 PM
how come he's a hero for throwing himself into a throwaway role, and not just a talented dunce that doesn't realize what he's doing is throwaway?
414458, Are you talking about Me and Orson Welles?
Posted by SoulHonky, Sun Nov-16-08 07:05 PM
That's a good career move. Get himself in small role role to begin to establish some roots in more serious films. Better than trying to take the biggest roles that comes his way, most of which will likely be some craptastic films.

It wouldn't hurt Shia to take a step away from the blockbusters for a moment and get himself into a drama.
414466, what the fuck is wrong with y'all?
Posted by ternary_star, Sun Nov-16-08 08:46 PM
jesus.
414473, haha. seriously.
Posted by dula dibiasi, Sun Nov-16-08 09:38 PM
414474, smhsmhsmhsmhsmhsmhsmh
Posted by CliffDogg, Sun Nov-16-08 09:50 PM
414524, And unlike, say, a Robert Pattinson, who's currently on the crest of this
Posted by ZooTown74, Mon Nov-17-08 03:35 AM
annoying-ass squealy girl Twilight wave, (bo)Zac doesn't seem to mind the trappings of being a movie star... he embraces his audience, and knows what they want, and is giving it to them

"Pause"
(for all you too-manly-to-be-in-the-post-but-still-in-the-post-anyway dudez)

Pattinson, on the other hand, acts like he couldn't be more annoyed with the fame this role's going to bring him... and he's going to play himself as a result...
Posted by iboycottedimdb, Mon Nov-17-08 10:09 AM

"I'm sick of followin' my dreams. I'm just gonna ask where they goin', and hook with them later." - Mitch Hedberg

"I don't think muthafuckas went to the moon either, but that's just me."-Mos