Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3026164

Subject: "there's nothing to compile tho" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
thebigfunk
Charter member
10468 posts
Mon Aug-03-20 12:29 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "there's nothing to compile tho"
In response to In response to 4

They're long rambling tirades about, at most, The Roots and related folks being shitty in business and sometimes crappy in their personal lives around the time they hit big (adultery and shit).

Um, yeah, that's not really big news... there have even been some QLS episodes where some air was cleared with Jill and others...

There are some veiled allegations of sexual assault but *super* vague -- the most explicit she got was strongly insinuating that Flo Brown was assaulted but again no details and, more importantly, how are you going to pull a victim of sexual assault into your shit without talking to her about it first???

There's also a hell of a lot of misplaced ego from Jaguar about her making OKP what it was (lol), about her making The Roots look good on Jay-Z's unplugged (BIG lol) and them being mad about it, about her giving them shine on songs and needing her and Malik to give them street credibility... and all that wrapped up with no one calling her at different crisis points in her past. Oh, and she suggests Thought stole lines from Malik.

Jill's a terrible person bc she cheated. Badu's a terrible person bc... I can't remember why. Dice Raw lost his gifts as an emcee bc he's been hanging out ghostwriting w/The Roots too long. Add another names, rinse and repeat ad nauseam.

It's not that I think anything she's saying is outright false (though I have a hard time believing Thought intentionally stole lines from Malik...). I get that she's grieving, too. And it's absolutely tragic that Malik has the addict label over his head and that distracts from his obvious gifts as an emcee, that folks aren't more familiar, etc ... and she's definitely speaking truth to how women have been and are treated in the industry.

But watching these videos was truly saddening because she clearly feels like something was stolen from her in terms of opportunity --- and this is her blaming everyone around her and dragging others talent needlessly and promising big revelations that are sometimes shitty but aren't exactly shocking.

Business gets messy. Personal lives are messy and disappointing. Yes, people are left behind and often deserve more credit than they get.

But in the history of pop music, the stuff that's aired here is honestly pretty mild and folks are acting like she's exposing shit. She did expose how quickly I can regret wasting my time watching someone work out their issues on IG (a terrible format for that, btw).

If you listened to that Musiq episode of QLS a week or two ago and got exhausted by his "I've never really had my time to shine" routine -- this is a lot like that but more personal and more personally resentful, drawn out over an epic length.

I think there's one more video I haven't watched yet bc a couple of them are an hour long... but I'm guessing it's more of the same.

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

Printer-friendly copy

The Roots do not care about any of their former members [View all] , stimuland, Mon Aug-03-20 01:03 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
ya, there was such bad blood that malik came back to rap
Aug 03rd 2020
There is already a lengthy thread on the matter in GD
Aug 03rd 2020
      I'd appreciate if you did that.
Aug 03rd 2020

one edit:
Aug 03rd 2020
      Is There Anybody She Forgot To Mention In Those Vids?
Aug 03rd 2020
DTS
Aug 03rd 2020
DTS
Aug 03rd 2020

Lobby The Lesson topic #3026164 Previous topic | Next topic