Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3026164

Subject: "The Roots do not care about any of their former members" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
stimuland
Member since Dec 08th 2009
112 posts
Mon Aug-03-20 01:03 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The Roots do not care about any of their former members"

And it shows. You can write a fluff post on Instagram but that doesn’t hide the bad blood between them.

The fact that there have been so many lawsuits between ?uest/Thought and their former bandmates says enough.

Oh and fuck "Water" too.

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
ya, there was such bad blood that malik came back to rap
Aug 03rd 2020
There is already a lengthy thread on the matter in GD
Aug 03rd 2020
      I'd appreciate if you did that.
Aug 03rd 2020
      there's nothing to compile tho
Aug 03rd 2020
           one edit:
Aug 03rd 2020
      Is There Anybody She Forgot To Mention In Those Vids?
Aug 03rd 2020
DTS
Aug 03rd 2020
DTS
Aug 03rd 2020

fontgangsta
Member since Sep 04th 2005
5467 posts
Mon Aug-03-20 07:59 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "ya, there was such bad blood that malik came back to rap"
In response to Reply # 0

on GT and RD...AFTER "water"
if you want to make a point or start a discussion, why don't you post some specifics and some swipes.
Im not saying you dont have a point - i know there was some static with hub for example
but this is just a lazy shitpost.

stimuland
Member since Dec 08th 2009
112 posts
Mon Aug-03-20 08:47 AM

2. "There is already a lengthy thread on the matter in GD"
In response to Reply # 1

A lot has come to light over the past three days, and many of my speculations from over the years were confirmed thanks to Jaguar Wright. It's a long list of allegations but I can definitely compile them later today when I re-watch the videos she posted.

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Mon Aug-03-20 11:20 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "I'd appreciate if you did that."
In response to Reply # 2

I don't have time to watch all her videos so I'd rather be able to sift through a comprehensive list of all the allegations she made.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

thebigfunk
Charter member
10468 posts
Mon Aug-03-20 12:29 PM

5. "there's nothing to compile tho"
In response to Reply # 4

They're long rambling tirades about, at most, The Roots and related folks being shitty in business and sometimes crappy in their personal lives around the time they hit big (adultery and shit).

Um, yeah, that's not really big news... there have even been some QLS episodes where some air was cleared with Jill and others...

There are some veiled allegations of sexual assault but *super* vague -- the most explicit she got was strongly insinuating that Flo Brown was assaulted but again no details and, more importantly, how are you going to pull a victim of sexual assault into your shit without talking to her about it first???

There's also a hell of a lot of misplaced ego from Jaguar about her making OKP what it was (lol), about her making The Roots look good on Jay-Z's unplugged (BIG lol) and them being mad about it, about her giving them shine on songs and needing her and Malik to give them street credibility... and all that wrapped up with no one calling her at different crisis points in her past. Oh, and she suggests Thought stole lines from Malik.

Jill's a terrible person bc she cheated. Badu's a terrible person bc... I can't remember why. Dice Raw lost his gifts as an emcee bc he's been hanging out ghostwriting w/The Roots too long. Add another names, rinse and repeat ad nauseam.

It's not that I think anything she's saying is outright false (though I have a hard time believing Thought intentionally stole lines from Malik...). I get that she's grieving, too. And it's absolutely tragic that Malik has the addict label over his head and that distracts from his obvious gifts as an emcee, that folks aren't more familiar, etc ... and she's definitely speaking truth to how women have been and are treated in the industry.

But watching these videos was truly saddening because she clearly feels like something was stolen from her in terms of opportunity --- and this is her blaming everyone around her and dragging others talent needlessly and promising big revelations that are sometimes shitty but aren't exactly shocking.

Business gets messy. Personal lives are messy and disappointing. Yes, people are left behind and often deserve more credit than they get.

But in the history of pop music, the stuff that's aired here is honestly pretty mild and folks are acting like she's exposing shit. She did expose how quickly I can regret wasting my time watching someone work out their issues on IG (a terrible format for that, btw).

If you listened to that Musiq episode of QLS a week or two ago and got exhausted by his "I've never really had my time to shine" routine -- this is a lot like that but more personal and more personally resentful, drawn out over an epic length.

I think there's one more video I haven't watched yet bc a couple of them are an hour long... but I'm guessing it's more of the same.

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

thebigfunk
Charter member
10468 posts
Mon Aug-03-20 01:13 PM

7. "one edit:"
In response to Reply # 5

She does have a more explicit accusation against Common.

Weighing in on whether it's legit or not is impossible from the outside but when you wrap such a serious accusation in so much unnecessary bs and dragging --- it's hard to take it as seriously as we probably should.

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

Dj Joey Joe
Member since Sep 01st 2007
13770 posts
Mon Aug-03-20 12:32 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "Is There Anybody She Forgot To Mention In Those Vids?"
In response to Reply # 2

Let's see, this is a list of all the former affilated crew of our beloved band:

Mr. Manifest
Marc (early keyboard player)
Scott Storch
Joshua Abrams
Rufus Harley
Malik B. (R.I.P.)
Rahzel
Scratch
Kenny Muhammad
A.J. Shine
Leonard Hubbard
Richard Nichols (R.I.P.)
Mars Co-Op
Frank Knuckles
Owen Biddle
Truck North
P.O.R.N.

Anybody I forgot?

https://tinyurl.com/y4ba6hog

---------
"We in here talking about later career Prince records
& your fool ass is cruising around in a time machine
trying to collect props for a couple of sociopathic degenerates" - s.blak

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49429 posts
Mon Aug-03-20 11:14 AM

3. "DTS"
In response to Reply # 0

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57010 posts
Mon Aug-03-20 01:13 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "DTS"
In response to Reply # 0

Lobby The Lesson topic #3026164 Previous topic | Next topic