Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3044914

Subject: "Call me crazy but I think "8 AM in Charlotte" is an homage to Phonte/LB" Previous topic | Next topic
The Bobblehead Man
Member since Jan 04th 2006
135 posts
Thu Dec-14-23 09:23 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Call me crazy but I think "8 AM in Charlotte" is an homage to Phonte/LB"

I know Phonte is not from Charlotte. But we can pull up recordings of him rapping like this, over beats like this many years ago. Don't let the video throw you off because it will, listen to audio
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udTQIU_BiPo
If you heard that beat, then heard that "YO" a hip-hop fan is going to expect to hear Pooh & Tay. Then the rap style is so reminiscent of Phonte, I don't know how to feel.

Would love to hear an "9AM in Durham" or something like that. The "8 AM in Charlotte" beat even pairs well with their documentary.

In any case, Drake dropping a song that sounds like that as a single is a positive. Now you can't use the "dated" tag to diminish a sound that people still enjoy.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Call me crazy but I think "8 AM in Charlotte" is an homage to Phonte/LB [View all] , The Bobblehead Man, Thu Dec-14-23 09:23 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Drake's breakout mixtape has a track ft. Phonte & Elzhi
Dec 14th 2023
^^^^ This post provides context I left out of my original post
Dec 16th 2023
Right after LB put out “Glory, Glory” produced by Conductor Williams...
Dec 15th 2023
Technically I'd call them even. Drake's 360 is just shallow & vapid
Dec 16th 2023
      Yeah - that’s exactly it
Dec 16th 2023
RE: Call me crazy but I think "8 AM in Charlotte" is an homage to Phonte...
Dec 16th 2023
This is why I brought this thought to this board
Dec 16th 2023

Lobby The Lesson topic #3044914 Previous topic | Next topic