Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2682038

Subject: "Know Your History: When Ramellzee shitted on Basquiat" Previous topic | Next topic
imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Thu Apr-05-12 09:31 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Know Your History: When Ramellzee shitted on Basquiat"

From this great piece - http://www.egotripland.com/rammellzee-beat-bop/

What are your recollections about the whole process of making “Beat Bop”? How did you meet Jean-Michel Basquiat?
Rammellzee: Jean-Michel wanted to do a rap song because rap was coming into power at the time and that was one of the things besides writing on the trains that he didn’t know how to do. He didn’t know how to do wild style or a true burner like some of these things in here . And I was brung into the city by Fab 5 Freddy to interrogate this guy.

And the basis of the interrogation was…?
Rammellzee: What he knew about art. Why was he in the power play position? And to tell him: you need to leave this shit alone and let the real troopers who did do something on the trains get past you and Keith Haring and let these fools know there’s an ikonoklastic war about to happen…

During the process of interrogation I had made a bet with him: I can do what you can do, you can’t do what I can do. He had brought three canvases, set ’em up and got me the paint in the basement of Annina Nosei’s gallery, which was his first gallery like 1982. And in the basement he decided to let me paint these canvases, and Annina Nosei sold all three at his price. My prices where nowhere near his because he was going off and selling well. She came into the gallery and she told him, “I sold three of your best artworks.” I said, “Give me my money!” “Now you gotta do what I do!” He never did what I could do. He switched from trying to do and went to do the song.

I could say a lot about this, but what do *you* think?

________
Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am one thing, a musician." © Miles Davis

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Know Your History: When Ramellzee shitted on Basquiat [View all] , imcvspl, Thu Apr-05-12 09:31 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
prole art threat vs bourgeois art cottage industry
Apr 05th 2012
I honestly dont know enough about
Apr 05th 2012
read the whole interview
Apr 05th 2012
Homie, you made a post about Basquiat asking hip-hop didn't "accept" him
Apr 10th 2012
yeah but weird enough after Rammellzee passed people tried
Apr 05th 2012
read the interview to learn about when they threw blows
Apr 05th 2012

Apr 10th 2012
^^^
Apr 10th 2012
u know whats funny on some real shit is that
Apr 10th 2012
RE: And that's why everything you post is pointless.
Apr 10th 2012
      ^^ this mthfkr here
Apr 10th 2012
           RE: Case in point.
Apr 10th 2012
RE: Know Your History: When Ramellzee shitted on Basquiat
May 18th 2012
May 18th 2012
May 18th 2012
this some shit only white hipsters care about and pretend matters