Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12850256

Subject: "His weakest, and the fault lies with Younge" Previous topic | Next topic
soulsike
Member since Jul 20th 2002
2562 posts
Fri Jul-10-15 09:24 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "His weakest, and the fault lies with Younge"
In response to In response to 0

The production is stilted and muddy. Analog doesn't have to mean shitty-sounding!

The album plays like Younge made the tracks and Bilal wrote to them, as a rapper would, rather than having an organic, "built together", feel. The album rarely breathes, and largely forces Bilal to stay boxed in.

That said, it's still Bilal so there is plenty to still like, and it's still better than 80% of what's out there. But I like when Bilal gets loose, and look forward to a record where he gets to play...

Let me get full albums produced by Glasper, Thundercat/Brainfeeder crew, and/or Miguel Atwood-Ferguson.

Then let's really let him get raw and introduce him to Serj Tankian and Mike Patton. Talk about a "3 Tenors" for a new generation...

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Has GD discussed this recently released Bilal album? [View all] , Boogie Stimuli, Fri Jul-10-15 08:16 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
its a solid album..but i almost prefer the avant garde Bilal sound
Jul 10th 2015
Bought it but have been too busy to listen to it
Jul 10th 2015
i think it's a classic
Jul 10th 2015
I ain't mad at that assessment...
Jul 13th 2015
Hm...
Jul 13th 2015

Lobby General Discussion topic #12850256 Previous topic | Next topic