Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectHas GD discussed this recently released Bilal album?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12850256
12850256, Has GD discussed this recently released Bilal album?
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Fri Jul-10-15 08:16 AM
Bilal is finally making straight-ahead soul again. Really good album.
My only real "gripe" is that the album should have started at track #3
and put those first two tracks elsewhere in the mix. Other than that,
it's a great listen.

If you've heard it, what did you think?

If you haven't, what are you waiting on?
12850292, its a solid album..but i almost prefer the avant garde Bilal sound
Posted by sersey, Fri Jul-10-15 08:45 AM
Adrian Younge handled all the production on this one so it was bound to be a retro soul/funk type affair.

I like it as a body of work.. Its a great addition to Bilal's catalogue. But in the big scheme.. Love Surreal, Airtights Revenge, and Love for Sale are all superior albums.

Bilal's off kilter writing, & his meandering range of vocals would only be caged/stifled if he stuck with this head-nod groove-centered style of production.

To me, Bilal is best when he's free to genre-hop.. He's one of the few that can do it without sounding contrived... (see "Lost for Now" and tell me that aint one of the best country songs made in years..)

Bottom line... In Another Life is dope.. But I need Bilal to push on to the next project and production team that inspires him.
12850307, Bought it but have been too busy to listen to it
Posted by luvlee2003, Fri Jul-10-15 09:00 AM

>If you haven't, what are you waiting on?

:/ Hopefully this weekend.

12850327, i think it's a classic
Posted by Crash Bandacoot, Fri Jul-10-15 09:15 AM
from beginning to end.
12851879, I ain't mad at that assessment...
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Mon Jul-13-15 11:16 AM
I actually took off 3 songs and moved one to create what I think is a perfect listen.
The songs weren't bad... just didn't fit into the flow for me.
Some of his best work to date is on this album imo.
12850341, His weakest, and the fault lies with Younge
Posted by soulsike, Fri Jul-10-15 09:24 AM
The production is stilted and muddy. Analog doesn't have to mean shitty-sounding!

The album plays like Younge made the tracks and Bilal wrote to them, as a rapper would, rather than having an organic, "built together", feel. The album rarely breathes, and largely forces Bilal to stay boxed in.

That said, it's still Bilal so there is plenty to still like, and it's still better than 80% of what's out there. But I like when Bilal gets loose, and look forward to a record where he gets to play...

Let me get full albums produced by Glasper, Thundercat/Brainfeeder crew, and/or Miguel Atwood-Ferguson.

Then let's really let him get raw and introduce him to Serj Tankian and Mike Patton. Talk about a "3 Tenors" for a new generation...
12851884, Hm...
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Mon Jul-13-15 11:29 AM
>The production is stilted and muddy. Analog doesn't have to
>mean shitty-sounding!

I kinda know what you mean there... it's just sounds like instruments are being
played in a room with no digital touch-up. That works for most of the songs, but
I do think 'Lunatic' needed more digitizing or something

>The album plays like Younge made the tracks and Bilal wrote to
>them, as a rapper would, rather than having an organic, "built
>together", feel.

Yeah I didn't get that from the album at all. I actually said elsewhere that I love
the way Young built the music around Bilal lol. I happen to think Bilal needs to
be boxed in a bit tho, because he gets too silly when he's not. This album contains
the cleanest melodies he's ever written... or at least since the Love 4 Sale sale.
'Open Up The Door' <---this especially
'I Really Don't Care'
'Pleasure Toy'
'Love Child'
'Satellites'
etc
It's like a dream come true to FINALLY hear Bilal just write some clean, straight-forward songs.

>That said, it's still Bilal so there is plenty to still like,
>and it's still better than 80% of what's out there. But I like
>when Bilal gets loose, and look forward to a record where he
>gets to play...

He did it on the last album, Love Surreal. I think with this new album he manages
to showcase his voice while maintaining some nice groove and melodies for once.