Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12700227

Subject: "Pope says Charlie Hebdo had it coming..." This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
ndibs
Member since Aug 06th 2012
12715 posts
Thu Jan-15-15 06:37 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Pope says Charlie Hebdo had it coming..."
Thu Jan-15-15 06:39 PM by ndibs

"If my good friend Dr. Gasbarri says a curse word against my mother, he can expect a punch," Francis said half-jokingly, throwing a mock punch his way. "It's normal. You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others."

His pretend punch aside, Francis by no means said the violent attack on Charlie Hebdo was justified. Quite the opposite: He said such horrific violence in God's name couldn't be justified and was an "aberration." But he said a reaction of some sort was to be expected.
"There are so many people who speak badly about religions or other religions, who make fun of them, who make a game out of the religions of others," he said. "They are provocateurs. And what happens to them is what would happen to Dr. Gasbarri if he says a curse word against my mother. There is a limit."

He added, "I'm in God's hands."

Many people around the world have defended the right of satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo to publish inflammatory cartoons of the Prophet Muhammed in the wake of the massacre by Islamic extremists at its Paris offices and subsequent attack on a kosher supermarket in which three gunmen killed 17 people.

Others, though, have noted that in virtually all societies, freedom of speech has its limits, from laws against Holocaust denial to racially motivated hate speech.

http://news.yahoo.com/pope-charlie-hebdo-limits-free-expression-121639260.html

Printer-friendly copy

Pope says Charlie Hebdo had it coming... [View all] , ndibs, Thu Jan-15-15 06:37 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Uh oh!
Jan 15th 2015
hell *I* feel that way and i'm a heathen atheist
Jan 15th 2015
      i do too.
Jan 15th 2015
http://cdn.firstwefeast.com/assets/2013/04/2055_1.gif
Jan 15th 2015
Historic moment in Rastafarian history: I agree with the Pope
Jan 15th 2015
Thug Life Pope
Jan 15th 2015
France and the Papacy had a falling out a while back
Jan 15th 2015
Well he is the head of one of the most murderous and harmful institution...
Jan 15th 2015
that is that too, and he is wrong too
Jan 15th 2015
google the boko haram cover they did. Fuck charlie.
Jan 16th 2015

Lobby General Discussion topic #12700227 Previous topic | Next topic