Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13386459

Subject: "I think court-packing is more likely if he wins" Previous topic | Next topic
Walleye
Charter member
15535 posts
Sun May-31-20 12:20 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I think court-packing is more likely if he wins"
In response to In response to 0

>Stacking the Supreme Court with more judges??

Packing the Supreme Court is an excellent idea that the Democrats should definitely do if they take power, but I sort of think that the only way it's got even the slightest chance of happening is if Trump/McConnell do it first. Democrats have restrained themselves (for better or for worse) by adherence to norms and rules, and I think court-packing is one of those norms that the GOP probably expects to continue restraining Democratic power - unless they break it first.

If that's true - and it might not be - it seems to me that the GOP is most likely to pack the court in the event of a Trump victory in November. A loss means he's got to jam court-packing and whatever legal results he desires out of that into a meager three months *and* he gives Democrats an open invitation to defy tradition/norms as soon as inauguration day.

The rest seems likely though. Maybe a raft of deregulation by executive order? Make the end of his term a smash-and-grab for the fascists.

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

What happens right before Trump leaves office? [View all] , handle, Sun May-31-20 11:33 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
The only thing I think he would care about is looting the joint before
May 31st 2020
Who knows WHAT things are gonna be like in 5 years....
May 31st 2020
worse than all of that
May 31st 2020
I'm wildly optimistic but imo his fundamental laziness means he'd just l...
May 31st 2020
burn it down..summer 2020
May 31st 2020
why is everyone acting like Trump fucked the country up
Jun 01st 2020
that's way too generalized. There is specific damage that Trump has caus...
Jun 01st 2020
Well then, what say you?
Jun 01st 2020
      Obama's election aside, how has the world improved for Black people?
Jun 01st 2020

Lobby General Discussion topic #13386459 Previous topic | Next topic