Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectI think court-packing is more likely if he wins
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13386459&mesg_id=13386463
13386463, I think court-packing is more likely if he wins
Posted by Walleye, Sun May-31-20 12:20 PM
>Stacking the Supreme Court with more judges??

Packing the Supreme Court is an excellent idea that the Democrats should definitely do if they take power, but I sort of think that the only way it's got even the slightest chance of happening is if Trump/McConnell do it first. Democrats have restrained themselves (for better or for worse) by adherence to norms and rules, and I think court-packing is one of those norms that the GOP probably expects to continue restraining Democratic power - unless they break it first.

If that's true - and it might not be - it seems to me that the GOP is most likely to pack the court in the event of a Trump victory in November. A loss means he's got to jam court-packing and whatever legal results he desires out of that into a meager three months *and* he gives Democrats an open invitation to defy tradition/norms as soon as inauguration day.

The rest seems likely though. Maybe a raft of deregulation by executive order? Make the end of his term a smash-and-grab for the fascists.