Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13271529

Subject: "This is bullshit. "Clustering" is a good thing for black kids. " Previous topic | Next topic
Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49622 posts
Mon Jul-02-18 09:24 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "This is bullshit. "Clustering" is a good thing for black kids. "
In response to In response to 0

We do it at my kids school and it's done at the request of the black parents. The grade has two classes and they were sure to put all the black kids in one of the classes and usually with the black teacher. I was skeptical at first but it worked out really well. In fact they tried to end it at 1st grade and the parents advocated for it to continue for another year.

Don't fall for the okey doke of describing it as segregation. Segregation isn't a choice. Clustering is a choice by parents to make sure black kids are in a setting and see kids and teachers that look like them. My boys had black teachers for their first couple of years of school (including a black male) and that was invaluable for them. The studies support it.

I see how kids turn out when they are the only black kid in the class and clustering helps fight those sort of identity issues.

The only people who were mad at clustering at my kids school were the white parents who wanted more diversity in their kids classes and the non-black minority kids (i.e., Asian) who were in the same grade who some times were left out of the clustered classrooms.

BTW, this news story started in the NYPost. It's bullshit.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

The Little Red School House segregation policy [View all] , legsdiamond, Mon Jul-02-18 09:08 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Gotcha.. not sure how I feel about it
Jul 02nd 2018
The class is always going to be mixed.
Jul 02nd 2018
      ok, this makes more sense. Thanks for the info
Jul 02nd 2018
           It's Fake News Yo.
Jul 02nd 2018
                a small exclusive 45K private school in NYC
Jul 02nd 2018
I can DEF see the validity in this argument!
Jul 02nd 2018
Seems like they wanted the non-white kids to have an in-group
Jul 02nd 2018

Lobby General Discussion topic #13271529 Previous topic | Next topic