Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectThe Little Red School House segregation policy
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13271529
13271529, The Little Red School House segregation policy
Posted by legsdiamond, Mon Jul-02-18 09:08 AM
I remember someone on here saying their kids went to private school and were segregated by race. This school charges 45K a year and parentsrevolted even tho some say it's been in place for years.

and the head of the school makes $400K a year. Good lawd.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Private-School-That-Separated-Students-into-Homerooms-By-Race-Ending-Policy-487061081.html

An elite West Village private school that has been separating students into homerooms by race for the past year will end the policy amid furor from parents who only recently learned about it.

This past school year, pupils at Little Red School House who identify as students of color in two of the school’s middle school grades were placed in homerooms together, Director Phil Kassen said in a letter to the school community dated June 27.

Parents “revolted” when they learned about the policy last month, according to the New York Post, which first reported the story. A few parents claimed the school has been segregating classes for longer than just the 2017-2018 school year.

“My daughter who is 11 was like, ‘Wow, this is crazy. They are talking about separating by color,’” one parent told the outlet. “And I was thinking how antiquated is this? This is backwards. It’s almost like segregation now.”

These Are the Top 30 Public High Schools in New JerseyThese 30 Public High Schools Ranked Highest in New Jersey in New ReportPexels/CC
The school’s tuition is around $45,485 per year, and a number of celebrities’ children attend, according to the Post.

In his letter, Kassen said the policy “came about after much conversation with the faculty and was prompted by a conversation with a number of recent graduates, reflecting on their experience at LREI and suggesting that we create greater opportunities for connection and support.”

The policy was meant “to better support our students of color,” he said. The school had planned to continue its new policy this fall, but ultimately decided not to.

Mayor: Reserve 20% of Seats at Elite High Schools for Poor
“I think that it is essential to note that our groupings were not created to take away rights or opportunities from anyone, but rather to create the most supportive environment possible for all students, which is the very heart of our mission,” he said in the letter.

“During the coming months we will continue to look for ways to ensure that the full LREI experience is available to all of our students and to create dialogue that reinforces our diverse community in which all voices are heard,” he added.

13271536, This is bullshit. "Clustering" is a good thing for black kids.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Mon Jul-02-18 09:24 AM
We do it at my kids school and it's done at the request of the black parents. The grade has two classes and they were sure to put all the black kids in one of the classes and usually with the black teacher. I was skeptical at first but it worked out really well. In fact they tried to end it at 1st grade and the parents advocated for it to continue for another year.

Don't fall for the okey doke of describing it as segregation. Segregation isn't a choice. Clustering is a choice by parents to make sure black kids are in a setting and see kids and teachers that look like them. My boys had black teachers for their first couple of years of school (including a black male) and that was invaluable for them. The studies support it.

I see how kids turn out when they are the only black kid in the class and clustering helps fight those sort of identity issues.

The only people who were mad at clustering at my kids school were the white parents who wanted more diversity in their kids classes and the non-black minority kids (i.e., Asian) who were in the same grade who some times were left out of the clustered classrooms.

BTW, this news story started in the NYPost. It's bullshit.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"
13271538, Gotcha.. not sure how I feel about it
Posted by legsdiamond, Mon Jul-02-18 09:30 AM
I definitely want my kids to have Black teachers and a nice amount of black students.

Not sure how I would feel if it was called clustering tho.

I would prefer it was natural. Would these kids not do as well if they had a Black teacher and a mixed class?

13271541, The class is always going to be mixed.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Mon Jul-02-18 09:42 AM
Let's say that out of a grade level of 30 kids there are five black kids. Clustering is putting the 5 black kids in the same class as opposed to putting 2 in one class and 3 in the other (or 4 and 1) or just leaving it all up to random chance.

Even in the clustering scenario they still going to be in the minority and the other 10 kids are going to be non-black (and usually white).

They make it sound like there is a black class and a white class but that isn't the case.

Now in an ideal world each class would have a fair share of black kids so that this wouldn't even be an issue. Without that ideal scenario, clustering is a good thing for the kids.

I am not sure what the opposition to the word "clustering" is or what a "natural" outcome looks like.

>I definitely want my kids to have Black teachers and a nice
>amount of black students.
>
>Not sure how I would feel if it was called clustering tho.
>
>I would prefer it was natural. Would these kids not do as well
>if they had a Black teacher and a mixed class?
>
>
>

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

13271546, ok, this makes more sense. Thanks for the info
Posted by legsdiamond, Mon Jul-02-18 09:49 AM
I was thinking it was 12 Black kids and 2 or 3 white kids in some classes

I definitely support this and wished we had this when I was in school. They intentionally made sure we weren't together in most classes for obvious reasons.

13271549, It's Fake News Yo.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Mon Jul-02-18 09:59 AM
This is the original story that was published by the Fox News Owned NY Post. Same Quotes and everything from the story you posted.

https://nypost.com/2018/06/30/posh-schools-plan-to-segregate-students-by-race-draws-parents-ire/

The interesting thing to note about the story is that all the complaints are anonymous. No parent went on record to diss the policy. Also didn't seem to talk to any black parents who may support the policy.

Thing is we had white parents complain about it too because they felt left out of the diversity. Our Administrators told them "it's not about you." in so many words.

13271554, a small exclusive 45K private school in NYC
Posted by legsdiamond, Mon Jul-02-18 10:15 AM
why would anyone use their real name?

how did this go public?

someone snitched
13271551, I can DEF see the validity in this argument!
Posted by FLUIDJ, Mon Jul-02-18 10:11 AM
It's a big concern of ours and something we've currently dealing with in our oldest daughters pre-school.
There are literally 2 black kids, 1 black/white mixed kid, 1 mixed kid(no clue what mix, but her skin ain't white). They got them all split up.
13271542, Seems like they wanted the non-white kids to have an in-group
Posted by flipnile, Mon Jul-02-18 09:43 AM
Instead of always being outsiders.

We self-clustered in college (first time I was truly a "minority" in a any environment, in terms of %), and I appreciated NOT having to think about being black when I was hanging out with the other black students. NOT having to wonder why people are giving me funny looks or not talking to me, etc.

For academics, probably doesn't matter that much but socially this type of thing is HUGE.