Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13270976

Subject: "Who wants to live in a world where" Previous topic | Next topic
Stringer Bell
Member since Mar 15th 2004
3175 posts
Sat Jun-30-18 12:44 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
13. "Who wants to live in a world where"
In response to In response to 0
Sat Jun-30-18 01:04 PM by Stringer Bell

An anonymous and totally unsubstantiated account on twitter like this one compels any action whatsoever?

I assert that we have a responsibility to remain agnostic on anonymous, totally unsubstantiated charges of the sort made by "IWas17HeWas36". Even though they are written in a way that personally, I find very compelling and believable. There is a huge difference between plausible, likely and indisputable.

The charges don't prove anything. And they don't cost anything. It's very dangerous to allow allegations that meet both those criteria be the standard for ANY kind of action.

Imagine if festivals were to kick Tool off the bill over this. I expect we'd see anonymous accounts pop up leveling similar allegations against the organizers of those festivals. Would the existence, in that hypothetical situation, of the highly visible public vendetta by Tool fans be enough to mitigate those similar accusations against the organizers, while Maynard's accusations remained "credible" (merely because no vendetta against Maynard was known)? What about if similar charges against the organizers were made 5 years down the line, or 10? Would we attach a gradually decaying statistical likelihood the allegations were false, as the known scandal receded from memory? This is INCREDIBLY arbitrary.

I submit to you that by allowing oracular, uncorroborated messages like these to control our actions in any way, we would be giving over our decision-making to an arbitrary and infinitely game-able system that is even more potentially callous and vicious than the, yes sadly present one where oftentimes rapes go unpunished, and where in order to have any likelihood of achieving justice, victims must undergo an often humiliating and taxing ordeal.

Cliffs: In a lot of circumstances, it can be better to operate in a way that potentially lets a lot of guilty people go free, than to punish innumerable innocent persons. This seems like one of those times.

*EDIT* I haven’t yet seen any of the similar accounts atruhead referred to. If they differ from the initial claims in that they aren’t entirely both anonymous and unsubstantiated, obviously the above may not apply to them. It has never been my goal to defend Maynard or deny he might be a rapist (something I think virtually all men can be). I simply think we need better rules about what to believe in the anonymous internet age.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

not maynard. goddamnit, not maynard. [View all] , kinetic94761180, Fri Jun-29-18 12:05 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
I thought he had committed suicide...
Jun 29th 2018
huh?
Jun 29th 2018
RE: huh?
Jun 29th 2018
yeah that was my first thought when reading the post title
Jun 29th 2018
multiple women have the same account
Jun 29th 2018
a rockstar is a piece of shit? news at 11.
Jun 29th 2018
everyone is trash.
Jun 29th 2018
not true.. BUT if you are a rock star
Jun 29th 2018
      nope. EVERYONE is trash.
Jun 29th 2018
           Notice ain't no rappers getting me too'd
Jun 29th 2018
                Um. . .Bambaataa?
Jun 29th 2018
                can we stop saying "me too'd"?
Jul 02nd 2018
as much as I LOVE Tool...if he's trash, he's trash
Jun 29th 2018
WHO WANTS TO LIVE IN A WORLD OF ANONYMOUS REPORTS
Jun 30th 2018
      Who wants to have reading comprehension?
Jun 30th 2018
           you're a fucking worm.
Jul 02nd 2018
I HAVE TO HAVE AN OPINION ON THIS RIGHT NOW!!!!
Jun 30th 2018

Lobby General Discussion topic #13270976 Previous topic | Next topic