Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectnot maynard. goddamnit, not maynard.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13270976
13270976, not maynard. goddamnit, not maynard.
Posted by kinetic94761180, Fri Jun-29-18 12:05 AM
https://pitchfork.com/news/tools-maynard-james-keenan-accused-of-rape-calls-claim-despicable-false/

goddamnit.
13270980, I thought he had committed suicide...
Posted by Crash85, Fri Jun-29-18 12:34 AM
Is it weird/wrong that I'm relieved it was a story like this instead?

Maybe relieved isn't the right word...but...yeahhh
13270982, huh?
Posted by kinetic94761180, Fri Jun-29-18 12:35 AM

13270984, RE: huh?
Posted by Crash85, Fri Jun-29-18 01:13 AM
When I saw your post, my first thought was he comitted suicide...

I'm happy he didn't...and I'm hopeful that this story isn't true...
13271025, yeah that was my first thought when reading the post title
Posted by dillinjah, Fri Jun-29-18 08:37 AM
13270990, multiple women have the same account
Posted by atruhead, Fri Jun-29-18 02:36 AM
so Im leaning towards https://tenor.com/view/hashtag-lyin-your-honor-court-skit-gif-5301638
13271030, a rockstar is a piece of shit? news at 11.
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Fri Jun-29-18 08:59 AM
13271067, everyone is trash.
Posted by double negative, Fri Jun-29-18 09:41 AM
13271173, not true.. BUT if you are a rock star
Posted by legsdiamond, Fri Jun-29-18 11:56 AM
and I mean a real ass rock star..

you prolly got a few shitty episodes in your past

13271178, nope. EVERYONE is trash.
Posted by double negative, Fri Jun-29-18 12:06 PM
by everyone I just mean people who have power in some capacity

be it a ceo, a celeb, etc

I'm learning not to be surprised and to be surprised if someone is actually a stand up individual. I don't expect my heroes to be perfect but I'm at a point where I just shrug and keep it moving. We're going to reach a point where we're going to have to start looking at society and how we teach our children - I mean, thats already happening now but I think its going to become even more of a focus when we start to realize this shit is just in the air and water and all of the people we look up to have shit in the closet.

13271187, Notice ain't no rappers getting me too'd
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Fri Jun-29-18 12:16 PM
Not really any pop stars either iirc
13271201, Um. . .Bambaataa?
Posted by magilla vanilla, Fri Jun-29-18 12:54 PM
13271543, can we stop saying "me too'd"?
Posted by double negative, Mon Jul-02-18 09:43 AM
it implies something happening TO the offenders instead of pointing a light at the fact that they DID something in the first place.
13271069, as much as I LOVE Tool...if he's trash, he's trash
Posted by Dstl1, Fri Jun-29-18 09:44 AM
13271418, Who wants to live in a world where
Posted by Stringer Bell, Sat Jun-30-18 12:44 PM
An anonymous and totally unsubstantiated account on twitter like this one compels any action whatsoever?

I assert that we have a responsibility to remain agnostic on anonymous, totally unsubstantiated charges of the sort made by "IWas17HeWas36". Even though they are written in a way that personally, I find very compelling and believable. There is a huge difference between plausible, likely and indisputable.

The charges don't prove anything. And they don't cost anything. It's very dangerous to allow allegations that meet both those criteria be the standard for ANY kind of action.

Imagine if festivals were to kick Tool off the bill over this. I expect we'd see anonymous accounts pop up leveling similar allegations against the organizers of those festivals. Would the existence, in that hypothetical situation, of the highly visible public vendetta by Tool fans be enough to mitigate those similar accusations against the organizers, while Maynard's accusations remained "credible" (merely because no vendetta against Maynard was known)? What about if similar charges against the organizers were made 5 years down the line, or 10? Would we attach a gradually decaying statistical likelihood the allegations were false, as the known scandal receded from memory? This is INCREDIBLY arbitrary.

I submit to you that by allowing oracular, uncorroborated messages like these to control our actions in any way, we would be giving over our decision-making to an arbitrary and infinitely game-able system that is even more potentially callous and vicious than the, yes sadly present one where oftentimes rapes go unpunished, and where in order to have any likelihood of achieving justice, victims must undergo an often humiliating and taxing ordeal.

Cliffs: In a lot of circumstances, it can be better to operate in a way that potentially lets a lot of guilty people go free, than to punish innumerable innocent persons. This seems like one of those times.

*EDIT* I haven’t yet seen any of the similar accounts atruhead referred to. If they differ from the initial claims in that they aren’t entirely both anonymous and unsubstantiated, obviously the above may not apply to them. It has never been my goal to defend Maynard or deny he might be a rapist (something I think virtually all men can be). I simply think we need better rules about what to believe in the anonymous internet age.

13271431, WHO WANTS TO LIVE IN A WORLD OF ANONYMOUS REPORTS
Posted by Rjcc, Sat Jun-30-18 03:25 PM
posts "Stringer Bell"

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at
13271434, Who wants to have reading comprehension?
Posted by Stringer Bell, Sat Jun-30-18 03:50 PM
Not you fool.
13271505, you're a fucking worm.
Posted by Rjcc, Mon Jul-02-18 05:11 AM
you *imagined* a result from a single report that you would be able to be mad about, since nothing that actually happened here is anything that you could get mad about.

that's what you do.

you hear a report of a sexual assault, and you imagine reasons why the problem is that someone said it happened.

that's the person you have to be every day.

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at
13271438, I HAVE TO HAVE AN OPINION ON THIS RIGHT NOW!!!!
Posted by GOMEZ, Sat Jun-30-18 06:59 PM
or i guess i could wait and see what else comes out... If it's true he was doing this in every city, we'll hear about it.

if we never hear from the anonymous tweeter again, i'm good with not getting too worked up.