Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13110733

Subject: "Networking, yes. " Previous topic | Next topic
Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44993 posts
Tue Jan-03-17 05:16 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
12. "Networking, yes. "
In response to In response to 8

>Or do you have no interesting in "getting ahead" there even
>if it were required?

Networking is vital to getting ahead here, but it's definitely not with anyone who would have written an anonymous note. Had it been a supervisor the conversation would have gone differently, but this was a typed note left in anonymity with just enough specifics that I have a good guess about the culprit.

Thing is, it’s still a minefield because perception is considered gospel here and it boils down to whether or not you bosses believe what’s been said and this place is teaming with people who complain about every minor infraction.

If I had a dollar for every time I had to sit through staff meeting “others” consisting of a complaint about someone wearing something too tight/short or tattoos showing or cliques- yes, people here complain about “cliques” like it’s fucking high school- I’d have a nice lunch money budget for a few weeks.

In my old office I had a few situations where I had irrefutable evidence that proved the allegations were untrue, but was told “perception is everything, I’m just telling you how you’re being perceived, don’t shoot the messenger”when I went to prove my case.

Once I was told that I wasn’t answering my emails “timely” when the emails in question were less than 5 minutes old at the time of the complaint and were received while I was on break and had a journal timestamped to show the time I left my desk. Another time I was supposedly not paying attention during a training and waited until the end to answer questions on the packet despite having a physical hard copy of my packet that I had completed halfway through the training. I had the copy because I gave it to a coworker who left at the beginning because the trainer gave us a bad attitude when she didn’t have enough packets for us because she didn’t know we were scheduled.

Both times my supe didn’t even want to look at the evidence. I had another situation where I was given a memo about me raising my voice at a coworker that omitted pertinent details regarding the actions of my coworker and began at the point where I raised my voice as though I showed up on some Hulk Smash. I remain good friends with that worker to this day, actually, and we were arguing over the drive to switch unions during a rather heated and stressfull summer for all of us.

To hear my boss tell it though? I was a monster. I had to fight to get the memo corrected and the best she was willing to do was halfassed and still left a lot of information out. I had to take my issues with her all the way up to the director since her boss didn’t want to see or hear evidence to contradict his “perception” and I brought a manilla envelope full of statements from coworkers that echoed my contention of a hostile workplace to the dirctor. Things were fixed the next day and she got on her P’s and Q’s real quick before requesting a transfer.

Her boss wound up swimming in shit a year later because he refused to police the actions of his supervisors, but again…This had to go all the way to the top and I had to get a shit ton of statements, but the fact that I was able to get so many on such short notice was a testament to the quality of my rep among my coworkers.

It’s a tricky balancing act and it just boils down to who you know on the top half. I know enough to get through if I ever get enough college units to move up, but if that happens I’m moving out of this place and into something else anyways.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

LMAO someone at work “reported” me for being “unfriendly” [View all] , Cold Truth, Tue Jan-03-17 03:04 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
They want you to start coming to work like:
Jan 03rd 2017
it's not uncommon for OKPs to have social diseases.
Jan 03rd 2017
lolz
Jan 03rd 2017
Jan 04th 2017
Jan 04th 2017
i've been in toxic environments like that before
Jan 03rd 2017
Every one of those except, 'assisting coworkers,' could apply to me.
Jan 03rd 2017
Thing is, I assist. A lot. I just don't do the work for them.
Jan 04th 2017
im not into being fake at all
Jan 03rd 2017
Go to a happy hour occasionally. At the first one you go to,...
Jan 03rd 2017
It's honestly just not practical.
Jan 04th 2017
      RE: It's honestly just not practical.
Jan 05th 2017
Does your job not require socializing to get ahead there?
Jan 03rd 2017
gubmint work ain't like that.
Jan 03rd 2017
Not here actually. Networking is critical.
Jan 03rd 2017
(•_•) / ( •_•)>⌐■-■ / (⌐■_■), a cold truth.
Jan 03rd 2017
lmao. bruh you and astralblak
Jan 03rd 2017
LMAO!
Jan 04th 2017
that $hit childish af.
Jan 03rd 2017
I've seen that on an evaluation or two.
Jan 03rd 2017
Not surprising...and LOL @ you calling someone petty
Jan 03rd 2017
Sure thing, Mr "your hip hop opinion is invalid"
Jan 04th 2017
      You should seek out a therapist.
Jan 04th 2017
Kwesi moved to Cali?
Jan 03rd 2017
Are you the only Black person in tour department?
Jan 03rd 2017
Im not black. The person i suspect is an old retired white lady
Jan 04th 2017
yeah.. this isn't shocking at all
Jan 03rd 2017
Lol im an asshole for not holding hands of adults who don't work.
Jan 04th 2017
      Do you growl at coworkers?
Jan 04th 2017
           Is this the part where you create a long, pointless back and forth out o...
Jan 04th 2017
                You are the last person who needs to tell someone else to change
Jan 04th 2017
                     Bye, bitch.
Jan 04th 2017
You??? NO WAY!! That is some fraggleknackle horse crap!
Jan 03rd 2017
STOP TELLING COLD TRUTH TO SMILE!!
Jan 04th 2017
lmao
Jan 04th 2017
lmao... and I bet fake money it isn't the white lady
Jan 04th 2017
So you're bringing the office down with your mere presence?
Jan 04th 2017
Yes. The entire office. Because I don't stop for small talk
Jan 04th 2017
So.... is it something that you're going to be more mindful of moving fo...
Jan 04th 2017
Nope, for a few reasons.
Jan 04th 2017
RE: LMAO someone at work “reported” me for being “unfriendly”
Jan 04th 2017
yeah, eff that... YOU PEOPLE ARE NOT MY FRIENDS!!!
Jan 04th 2017
Translation....
Jan 04th 2017

Lobby General Discussion topic #13110733 Previous topic | Next topic