Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12992539

Subject: "My wife recently quit her job to sell women’s clothing. " Previous topic | Next topic
Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44970 posts
Wed Mar-23-16 04:18 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
10. "My wife recently quit her job to sell women’s clothing. "
In response to In response to 0

I posted about it a few weeks ago. It puts us on a budget of one steady, stable that will lean heavily on my overtime. It’s a scary situation truth be told but it’s also very exciting. She’s already a happier person overall. With us, this was a very calculated risk with a few layers of relative financial protection. It’s definitely not her long term dream and we see it as a 3-5 year window to ride this wave into whatever comes next.

We have a long term plan in place with a goal of me leaving by this time next year, if not before.

Which leads me into my failures, shortcomings, and procrastinations. I posted up about a ‘big idea’ a few years ago. Some things didn’t fall in place the way I thought and hoped, I got a little depressed and discouraged, and then life sort of took over and we’ve had several major life changes since the beginning of last year- promotion for my wife, new office for both of us, the birth of our son, sold a home, bought a home in a different city which gave us a commute, and now this current venture.

For what it’s worth I haven’t given up on that idea. I haven’t given up on selling beats or finishing up a small collection of short stories and one novel either. But today is about priorities and we have a plan in place. I have a daily regimen I began this week in the name of achieving these goals. I have to keep those things in play on some level. Hopefully I can pull something off.

In terms of talking you into taking such a significant leap, I’d simply advise you to prioritize things and do everything you can to cover yourself in case things don’t work out. Personally I would follow a basic principle of investing: only invest that which you can afford to lose. Go in with the understanding that you could very well lose everything you put into this and prepare accordingly. There’s definitely a sacrifice involved but as long as you can hedge against a relative catastrophe and maintain a measure of stability, I say go for it and do so with great confidence.

Best of luck and please keep us updated.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

#wefamily: Talk me into it [View all] , JellyBean, Wed Mar-23-16 02:25 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
If you try and fail, you can live with that. It'll be a good story, even...
Mar 23rd 2016
there's an argument to that but I forgot how it goes...
Mar 23rd 2016
if you don't do it you'll regret it. You won't regret having tried.
Mar 23rd 2016
what do you have to lose?
Mar 23rd 2016
make me some food and i will tell you if you should do it
Mar 23rd 2016
lol good point
Mar 23rd 2016
really though
Mar 23rd 2016
Word. When's JellyBean having that cookout?
Mar 23rd 2016
You'll regret not trying more than failing
Mar 23rd 2016
Do you have restaurant BUSINESS experience or are you just a good cook?
Mar 23rd 2016
I'm EDUCATED in restaurant business
Mar 24th 2016
You can fail at jobs you don't love, so might as well try one you do
Mar 23rd 2016
prolly the biggest test
Mar 24th 2016
just do it..
Mar 24th 2016
I tried leaping once but it didn't work out. I needed a steady income an...
Mar 24th 2016

Lobby General Discussion topic #12992539 Previous topic | Next topic