Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12942475

Subject: "good example of this is Detroit." Previous topic | Next topic
PoppaGeorge
Member since Nov 07th 2004
10384 posts
Fri Dec-11-15 01:29 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
15. "good example of this is Detroit."
In response to In response to 11

>more about how the 'urban space' became what it is because of
>white flight and those same politics are taking place now.

Detroit proper and it's many suburbs' past was shaped by white flight leading up to the 80's. Detroit, at one point in time, was a predominately white city with a few Black and jewish enclaves. As the Big 3 expanded their operations Black folks from all over the country moved to Detroit in search of those good plant jobs. As Black folks moved in, whites began to move outward to the suburbs leaving blacks and jews, and eventually even the jews left. Eventually what happened was...

>Like Flipnile is saying above even as the cities are currently
>being rebuilt things are happening to purposely lock out the
>natives.

... ^^^ this.

In the late 80's, the white big money hustla's started buying up parts of downtown and renovating it. Buildings and neighborhoods near the Detroit river were bought and razed to make way for expensive high-rise apartments, condos, and lofts. Historic buildings that could be saved were renovated, beginning with the Fox Theater. Others were demolished, like the old Hudson's department store. Because the apartments and condos were so expensive only people with money moved into them, and the demographics of the area changed significantly. Those who moved in still had to deal with low income and poverty stricken areas only a few blocks away from their shiny new apartments, so the police presence in those areas was beefed up.

Fast forward a decade. If you were a person that grew up in the 80's near the Fox Theater, over by Cass Tech or whatever, and you landed in the same area in 2003 or so, you wouldn't believe you were even in Detroit. New luxury apartments, brownstone-style row houses full of affluent white folks, the two stadiums directly across the street from the Fox Theater, the State Theater now rebranded as The Fillmore next door to the Fox, and, in fact, that entire area downtown is pretty much unrecognizable to a person that hadn't been there since as late as the 90's.

---------------------------

"Where was the peace when we were getting shot? Where's the peace when we were getting laid out?
Where is the peace when we are in the back of ambulances? Where is the peace then?
They don't want to call for peace then.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Gentrification is a myth (swipe) [View all] , southphillyman, Fri Dec-11-15 09:00 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
how are they defining gentrification?
Dec 11th 2015
Wealthy people displacing poor residents from their neighborhood
Dec 11th 2015
      base
Dec 11th 2015
           I also have a question I am wondering aloud
Dec 11th 2015
A number of people have critiqued this article, but suffice to say,
Dec 11th 2015
He does touch on one thing I've been saying bluefaced for a while now
Dec 11th 2015
The problem is far more complex than just creating more urban spaces
Dec 11th 2015
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^
Dec 11th 2015
      RE: The problem is far more complex than just creating more urban spaces
Dec 11th 2015
           Yeah but its less about places to live
Dec 11th 2015
           It is about places to live, you just said so
Dec 11th 2015

The "they" I speak of are wealthy people and their children
Dec 11th 2015
                RE: The "they" I speak of are wealthy people and their childre...
Dec 11th 2015
                     I'm in 100% agreement with you about needing new urban spaces
Dec 11th 2015
LOL @ "We're better than latinos!!"
Dec 11th 2015
Man...do any of you all frequent the city-data.com forums????
Dec 11th 2015
Can you blame a resident for selling when their value doubles or triples...
Dec 11th 2015
RE: Man...do any of you all frequent the city-data.com forums????
Dec 11th 2015
I do, but usually for other forum board discussions.
Dec 11th 2015
tell it to the whitegirl mobs on lenox ave these days
Dec 11th 2015

Lobby General Discussion topic #12942475 Previous topic | Next topic