Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12942475

Subject: "He does touch on one thing I've been saying bluefaced for a while now" Previous topic | Next topic
Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Fri Dec-11-15 11:12 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "He does touch on one thing I've been saying bluefaced for a while now"
In response to In response to 0
Fri Dec-11-15 11:14 AM by Jon

When he says (paraphrase) "gentrification is a symptom of the problem, not the problem itself."

My thing is, this is all about supply and demand, and in America, its about the demand for compact walkable urbanity far exceeding the embarrassingly low supply.

Everyone has a right to move to a new city, village, forest or neighborhood that better suits the life they want.

The problem is, outside of a few specs across this country that could be rattled off in one breath, America is developed for automobiles instead of homosapiens and our nation's brief but destructive infatuation with autocentric suburb experiment has worn off and now the 50 states are covered in the sprawl it spawned.

The solution isn't shaming people for moving somewhere they like.

The solution is building wayyy more places that people like.

The great Italian city of Florence fits in the same amount of space as a friggin roundabout on a Georgia highway. Just think how many fantastic smaller but lively urban places could be dreamed up and built to replace the average run down plaza parking lot, etc.

Instead of building more fighter jets and nuclear submarines, we could be giving each county in America a beautiful selection of lively villages and compact urban hot spots.

It's actually a really positive thing that the children of the suburbs are trying to move back into urban spaces, for many reasons, the environment being perhaps chief among them from a long term birds-eye view.

A large portion of the population living in American sprawl are there because they don't have any other options. Create more places for us to live compact, and watch the suburba thin out, many homes happily abandoned, giving way to nature and a more truly rural life for those remaining who want that.

Prices in these urban spots are skyrocketing because they offer a lifestyle that's ubiquitous in much of the world but super rare in America.

Create more of the stuff the people actually want, prices will go back down, everyone will be able to live somewhere decent,

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Gentrification is a myth (swipe) [View all] , southphillyman, Fri Dec-11-15 09:00 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
how are they defining gentrification?
Dec 11th 2015
Wealthy people displacing poor residents from their neighborhood
Dec 11th 2015
      base
Dec 11th 2015
           I also have a question I am wondering aloud
Dec 11th 2015
A number of people have critiqued this article, but suffice to say,
Dec 11th 2015
The problem is far more complex than just creating more urban spaces
Dec 11th 2015
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^
Dec 11th 2015
      RE: The problem is far more complex than just creating more urban spaces
Dec 11th 2015
           Yeah but its less about places to live
Dec 11th 2015
           It is about places to live, you just said so
Dec 11th 2015
           good example of this is Detroit.
Dec 11th 2015
           The "they" I speak of are wealthy people and their children
Dec 11th 2015
                RE: The "they" I speak of are wealthy people and their childre...
Dec 11th 2015
                     I'm in 100% agreement with you about needing new urban spaces
Dec 11th 2015
LOL @ "We're better than latinos!!"
Dec 11th 2015
Man...do any of you all frequent the city-data.com forums????
Dec 11th 2015
Can you blame a resident for selling when their value doubles or triples...
Dec 11th 2015
RE: Man...do any of you all frequent the city-data.com forums????
Dec 11th 2015
I do, but usually for other forum board discussions.
Dec 11th 2015
tell it to the whitegirl mobs on lenox ave these days
Dec 11th 2015

Lobby General Discussion topic #12942475 Previous topic | Next topic