Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12942475

Subject: "The problem is far more complex than just creating more urban spaces" Previous topic | Next topic
flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13613 posts
Fri Dec-11-15 11:29 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "The problem is far more complex than just creating more urban spaces"
In response to In response to 5
Fri Dec-11-15 11:39 AM by flipnile

A BIG reason why the suburbs flourished is because of the automobile and white flight (these people didn't want to live near minorities and all of their associated problems). Thing is, these folks are not giving up their cars, and still don't want to live near minorities, or even *any* person from lower income brackets. They have no desire to move into Harlem and live near the longtime residents... they want them GONE. It's a predatory and opportunistic behaviour.

Gentrification wouldn't be as much of an issue if the new residents moved in and assimilated into the neighborhoods, but the reality is that --aside from the pioneering artists and hipsters-- they largely DON'T. Longtime residents are alienated. Attempts to remove them are increased, through blatant means as well as covert tactics like votiing for increased property taxes (or other taxes), using the police to bully longtime residents, etc.

Newly-created urban spaces would be priced and litigated as to ensure that "undesirables" can't move in. Meanwhile, these displaced low-income residents face the issue of where to live. They have been pushed/priced out of the city, and they aren't welcome in the suburbs.

Edit: One more thing: While these "gentrifiers" could instead be building NEW urban spaces, they have historically chosen the exact opposite. Plans to improve mass transit regularly gets shelved because "what about their cars?" New developments seem like they are built around control and access (HOAs, no sidewalks, police harassing people for walking, controlling access to public resources like parks, pools and athletic facilities, etc.) which is very suburban and anti-city in its' mentality. Living in a city means SHARING, something these people are very reluctant to do.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Gentrification is a myth (swipe) [View all] , southphillyman, Fri Dec-11-15 09:00 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
how are they defining gentrification?
Dec 11th 2015
Wealthy people displacing poor residents from their neighborhood
Dec 11th 2015
      base
Dec 11th 2015
           I also have a question I am wondering aloud
Dec 11th 2015
A number of people have critiqued this article, but suffice to say,
Dec 11th 2015
He does touch on one thing I've been saying bluefaced for a while now
Dec 11th 2015
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^
Dec 11th 2015
      RE: The problem is far more complex than just creating more urban spaces
Dec 11th 2015
           Yeah but its less about places to live
Dec 11th 2015
           It is about places to live, you just said so
Dec 11th 2015
           good example of this is Detroit.
Dec 11th 2015
           The "they" I speak of are wealthy people and their children
Dec 11th 2015
                RE: The "they" I speak of are wealthy people and their childre...
Dec 11th 2015
                     I'm in 100% agreement with you about needing new urban spaces
Dec 11th 2015
LOL @ "We're better than latinos!!"
Dec 11th 2015
Man...do any of you all frequent the city-data.com forums????
Dec 11th 2015
Can you blame a resident for selling when their value doubles or triples...
Dec 11th 2015
RE: Man...do any of you all frequent the city-data.com forums????
Dec 11th 2015
I do, but usually for other forum board discussions.
Dec 11th 2015
tell it to the whitegirl mobs on lenox ave these days
Dec 11th 2015

Lobby General Discussion topic #12942475 Previous topic | Next topic