Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #21378

Subject: "RE: WHY WON'T BLACK PARTICIPATE" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
k_orr
Charter member
80197 posts
Sat Sep-09-00 07:23 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "RE: WHY WON'T BLACK PARTICIPATE"
In response to In response to 0

They aren't interested. And historically many black parents haven't been interested in dealing with white professionals of all types. Even when the professionals in question are African Americans, there is still some distance.

When I was a counselor I was always receieved coolly by my kid's parent's. I think they knew ultimately, despite the cute caramel face, I was working for white folks at a white institution. (Job Corps). I heard a lot of, I know about you, but you don't know about me.

The other side of the game is that many african american parents, and latino parents too, don't realize or fully understand what their involvement means and what it can do. Many of my girl's parents did not care whether or not they went to high school at all, much less did their homework. It was only when things started to look bad, that parents became concerned.

In my case it was not that they had 2 jobs. Many of my parents were on welfare, and had enough child care available so that they could attend, if they wanted to. The interest and more importantly the understanding wasn't there.

But that's just my experience. Some of my parents were interested and involved, but most of them weren't. Often the girls I dealt with, were pure trouble, and if anything they wanted little to do with them as possible. In other cases the parents did not know enough about the education process to ask the right questions.

I think understanding what really happens at school and how that affects people's lives is really the key.

My mother was a teacher, so she knew all the ins and outs of a school system. How labels work, how tracking works, all sorts of procedural and business as usual things that many school systems do, but could have a negative impact on a student's life if the parents are not aware.

I think you are in a difficult position. You can try different times, different locations, have something "fun/informative" for parents to do, child care.. But it is very difficult to convince folks that their presence is important, if they aren't already thinking the same thing.

peace
k. orr

http://breddanansi.tumblr.com/

Printer-friendly copy

WHY WON'T BLACK PARTICIPATE [View all] , Brownsugar, Fri Sep-08-00 05:59 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: WHY WON'T BLACK PARTICIPATE
Sep 08th 2000
Sep 08th 2000
d-Best