Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectWHY WON'T BLACK PARTICIPATE
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=21378
21378, WHY WON'T BLACK PARTICIPATE
Posted by Brownsugar, Fri Sep-08-00 05:59 AM
I am a member of the local school council in my community. I have been on the council, only since school started, in September. Our goal as council members is to make sure that the school budget for our school is balanced, make sure the children have all the proper necessities for a good education. We also look forward to the parents input at these meetings.

At the beginning of this school year...I wrote and passed out flyers to as many parents as I could. The principal, saw to it that each child took home a flyer, to give to their parents. This particular school is 50 percent Hispanic and 50 percent African American and other races of African decent. For once, in a long while...we had parents at the meeting. Out of about 30 parents, there was only 4 black parents. When I walked in...I felt very embarrassed for my black people.

I am very disgusted, right now. I don't know what it is gonna take to get the black parents to participate. Please don't get me wrong...I was happy to see the turnout from the Hispanic people and I am definetly concerned about their childrens education. I know that the Hispanic people helped me win the election. And I do promise to help everyone equally.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get my own people to participate, in their own childrens education???...This is so embarrassing!!!
21379, RE: WHY WON'T BLACK PARTICIPATE
Posted by Gloworm, Fri Sep-08-00 08:35 AM
tis a good question.
we discussed this in a class one time and cats were like "black parents have to work 2 jobs...don't have time for PTA meetings"...just stuff like that...

but that's not a reason for most i would think.

maybe it's seen as a "white activity"...the bake sales, gift wrap sales, book fair stuff.....
i remember....my parents didn't go to those meetings and stuff for school other than teacher conferences.

they did go to the little league football meetings though.
*sigh*

"called to check 'pon the husband when it's you i should be checkin 'pon"

21380, RE: WHY WON'T BLACK PARTICIPATE
Posted by Brownsugar, Fri Sep-08-00 10:30 AM
At least, your family did participate, somewhat...some of these people don't do anything at all!!! My constant goal will be to find a way to make them participate. They should make it mandatory for parents to come to their childrens schools, at least once a month. To check on their progress.
21381, RE: WHY WON'T BLACK PARTICIPATE
Posted by guest, Fri Sep-08-00 11:53 AM
that both works and doesn't--'cause some of them resent it.

maybe some progressive style? could you hold it at someone's house or does it have to be at the school? You could go up in neighborhoods and have the meeting outside or something?

Call home and invite people to a social, not a meeting, just a chill. Where are you at, maybe Urban Organic Project could provide music.

The point is I agree with that "people don't see it as their thing" post. Maybe they just need to feel part of the click? who knows i'm talking out something other than my mouth...

my...

fingers!

21382, RE: WHY WON'T BLACK PARTICIPATE
Posted by Brownsugar, Fri Sep-08-00 01:07 PM
I appreciate your input, d-best. But I think that it would dangerous to go into some of the peoples homes. You never know what might happen!!! Just seeing the behavior of some of the children, leads me to believe that, that might not be such a good idea.

No one out there really cares about blacks. Even the schools don't care about black children. Even black teachers care not to get involved. They must pass these children to higher grades, after they turn a certain age, then it seems to me that, even the teachers want them out of the school system. Once they get them out...they have no alternative but to turn to the streets. Something needs to be done. Maybe, one day I will be in a position, to do something about it. I surely hope I can!!!
21383, RE: WHY WON'T BLACK PARTICIPATE
Posted by janey, Fri Sep-08-00 01:16 PM
Somewhat off topic -- but did you see okaymattd's thread on the possibility of an okayfund? One of the thoughts that's being bandied about has to do with supporting schools. Your input would be appreciated.

BooDaah posted something yesterday that opened my eyes and may have some application here. He said that when he's trying to round people up for activist activities, they scatter, but when he invites people to a club, they're all over it. Maybe part of the key is to make the parents' participation seem like a privilege, rather than an obligation, an opportunity rather than a drudge. Maybe a little PR work is needed? Just a thought. I don't know how you're advertising this -- I mean, of course, presenting it -- to the parents.

Peace.
21384, RE: WHY WON'T BLACK PARTICIPATE
Posted by Nettrice, Sat Sep-09-00 05:32 AM
History is everything. As an educational coordintor of an after school program, I had to deal with this dilemma- it was difficult to get Black parents to come out. We had a yearly mandatory intake and a mandatory parent meeting and Black parents did come. This was out opportunity to survey them, allow them to discuss their issues and plan future meetings with them in mind. Latino parents came when the sessions were in Spanish.

Black parents came when sessions addressed their needs. Generally, Black parents come to school when their kid is in trouble, not to meet with other parents. They go to church or other community gatherings but school is part of the bigger system-the system that traditionally (in the US) looks out for white people.

You and your colleagues will have to come up with creative ways to get Black parents to think that their participation means something to the system. Give them their own forum. Offer a computer class or job/personal and community/home development seminars. Plan regular get-togethers like potlucks, holiday parties or cookouts. When I offered parent workshops on how to upgrade and fix PCs most of the partipants were Black parents. I had the most attended workshops of the year.

Once you have established a group of Black parent leaders, you can start addressing issues related to improving their kids' school experience. It's a shame that it has to be that way but it is what it is. You all have to be committed to developing the Black community! One meeting for school elections just won't do it for us. We have to provide an environment in which parents can empower themselves.

Peace!

"No matter who you are or what your age may be, if you want to achieve permanent, sustaining success, the motivation that will drive you toward that goal must come from within." - Ultramagnetic MCs
21385, RE: WHY WON'T BLACK PARTICIPATE
Posted by Brownsugar, Sat Sep-09-00 07:44 PM
Nettrice, excellent suggestions...In fact, Friday me and my sister was discussing the issue of having food at the meetings. I had, previously, mention it to the authorities at the school and they kind of ignored my suggestion. Me and my sister are going to mention it, again. Nettrice, your plan sounds very workable, and I will keep your suggestions, in hopes that we can accomplish something. I will keep everyone posted, as to whether or not there is progress!!!
21386, RE: WHY WON'T BLACK PARTICIPATE
Posted by k_orr, Sat Sep-09-00 07:23 AM
They aren't interested. And historically many black parents haven't been interested in dealing with white professionals of all types. Even when the professionals in question are African Americans, there is still some distance.

When I was a counselor I was always receieved coolly by my kid's parent's. I think they knew ultimately, despite the cute caramel face, I was working for white folks at a white institution. (Job Corps). I heard a lot of, I know about you, but you don't know about me.

The other side of the game is that many african american parents, and latino parents too, don't realize or fully understand what their involvement means and what it can do. Many of my girl's parents did not care whether or not they went to high school at all, much less did their homework. It was only when things started to look bad, that parents became concerned.

In my case it was not that they had 2 jobs. Many of my parents were on welfare, and had enough child care available so that they could attend, if they wanted to. The interest and more importantly the understanding wasn't there.

But that's just my experience. Some of my parents were interested and involved, but most of them weren't. Often the girls I dealt with, were pure trouble, and if anything they wanted little to do with them as possible. In other cases the parents did not know enough about the education process to ask the right questions.

I think understanding what really happens at school and how that affects people's lives is really the key.

My mother was a teacher, so she knew all the ins and outs of a school system. How labels work, how tracking works, all sorts of procedural and business as usual things that many school systems do, but could have a negative impact on a student's life if the parents are not aware.

I think you are in a difficult position. You can try different times, different locations, have something "fun/informative" for parents to do, child care.. But it is very difficult to convince folks that their presence is important, if they aren't already thinking the same thing.

peace
k. orr
21387, RE: WHY WON'T BLACK PARTICIPATE
Posted by Brownsugar, Sat Sep-09-00 07:49 PM
Nappiness, I feel that everything you are saying is true. I am new in this field. I don't even know if I am going to be able to accomplish anything. So far, it seems to be a very difficult task, but all the suggestions that I have been receiving here, seem workable. I can only try!!!
21388, RE: WHY WON'T BLACK PARTICIPATE
Posted by nappiness, Sat Sep-09-00 09:51 AM
many of the lsc's(local school council) i've encountered have been full of hot air. those folks talk a good game but they aren't there for the studetns, everybody is trying to be the 'Head Nigga in Charge' and they get caught up in the titles.

my response is based upon the targeted schools for my tutoring program. i go to the meetings because it is part of my job but i don't see the good in them. especially in chicago where they've given these councils so much power.

but on the otherhand one of my mentors is a principal of a two grammar schools and her lsc is on point.

so i guess it just depends on the luck of the draw as to whose involved with the lsc. and the thing that you have to remember about parents is that these people are on different levels, meaning that some of them don't know how not to be triflin'

--------sig-----------
"If you are an asshole keep your thoughts to yourself"
"If your intent is to hurt someone else's feelings for the sake of making yo'self look like a 'supastar', rethink your intent."
Nappiness is next to Godliness!!!
"To thy ownself be true"
Ms. Nappiness
21389, RE: WHY WON'T BLACK PARTICIPATE
Posted by Brownsugar, Sat Sep-09-00 07:58 PM
Please excuse me, I did get your names mixed up. I think my last response was for, K_orr.

I hope this is right...Nappiness, I am kind of starting to "smell, the coffee", so to say. I see more "politics", in this lsc thing, than true concern for the children. I am also afraid that if they see too much progress, they might want me off the council...maybe it is paranoia on my part, but I do kind of sense this. My feelings as of now are, if I see no way to help the children, I will probably resign from my position. But hopefully, I can make a difference. Someone has got to take a stand to make a change!!!
21390, RE: WHY WON'T BLACK PARTICIPATE
Posted by Nettrice, Sun Sep-10-00 02:53 AM
If you truly want to help the Black community you will have to overcome fear. When I work with youth or parents or anybody in the community I have empowerment in mind. I have community and youth development in mind. I do not have fear in mind. Being an activist requires that you transcend fear. It does not matter if they kick you off the council. It matters if you can make a difference.

Peace!

"No matter who you are or what your age may be, if you want to achieve permanent, sustaining success, the motivation that will drive you toward that goal must come from within." - Ultramagnetic MCs
21391, RE: WHY WON'T BLACK PARTICIPATE
Posted by Brownsugar, Sun Sep-10-00 05:52 AM
Nettrice, you are right...I have a goal, and I must carry it through!!!
21392, I TOTALLY agree w/ u on this..
Posted by UrbanCowgRRL, Tue Sep-12-00 08:26 AM
i work at an after school tutoring/sports program in a predominately black school...they will have big meetings for all the parents..4 will show up...the girls i coached would be left waiting for their parents...nobody would come to their games..

I had my friends come to cheer them on..and they REALLY appreciated it...something im going to try to implement this year...is CALLING the parents...and reminding them..that their children have worked hard and their participation means the WORLD to these kids...

SO take action...go door to door in communities...if their parents are generally busy or negleting..i know old folks too that would love to have a child companion..to share stories and such...TRY IT OUT...

Much love,
Kyle

vinyl junkies/cd confitionados...go here
http://www.recordkingdom.com

"i always tell people that fame is
nothing but a good publicist, while
talent is a genuine article..." ~ Pozi
21393, RE: I TOTALLY agree w/ u on this..
Posted by Brownsugar, Tue Sep-12-00 09:53 AM
I think, I'll give that a try too...Thanks!!!...Looks like I need all the help, I can get!!!
21394, Our combined Wu-Tang style
Posted by guest, Tue Sep-12-00 11:05 AM
...meant in the martial art sense, not the musical sense...

Okay, we've got ideas to create more social and/or club atmosphere, that could either involve holding meetings in the neighborhood, or just changing the way things are run.

We've got ideas about calling home to invite cats.
We've got ideas about representin' Spanish, and if I may add, representing West-Africa helps out too.

I never lacked attendance at meetings, but when I came into "power" (whatever that is) I started doing Asante greetings and all that. Doing my speeches in Spanish (etc.) I suppose it helps that I speak Spanish and have access to African History experts, but giving everyone a cultural megadose really breaks up that "all too white" atmosphere, you know?

Try combinations of this stuff.

And lastly, I recommend you take over.

I'm serious.

Becoming President or Chairperson opens the door for alot. You're combatting what I used to call "good dad syndrome" --alot of obnoxious parents who want to be good moms and dads take over, and have absolutely no clue, 'cause they're not there for progress, but to be good moms and dads.

We can all succumb to it at times, it's not an "evil" thing, per se. It's just unfortunate. What separates the good from the bad is that the salvagable people either realize when they're suffering from the syndrome, or accept and change when you tell them.

Take over. Practice a new style of meeting. And let everything new and good shine through you.
21395, RE: Our combined Wu-Tang style
Posted by Brownsugar, Tue Sep-12-00 11:52 AM
Aight!!!...D-Best...That sounds really good too!!! I do speak a little Spanish and I am trying to learn more. I end up typing the flyers in Spanish and English...So that helps me to learn more Spanish. As I said...I just really started in September of this year. I do believe, I have a large task ahead of me. I really appreciate your suggestion as well as the others that I have received. I am printing up all these ideas and suggestions and hopefully something will work.

I am really sick of the "young black man", syndrome. First they start kindergarten, then as they get into the higher grades, teachers show less and less concern. It seems to me that the goal is, by the time they turn legal age...kick them out!!! Then that is the beginning of the end. Young black man or woman, no education....no other alternative, but the streets and then jail or death!!! THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT!!! Oh...by the way...I hear the new thing is, "become a rapper!!!" That's just as bad as every young black man thinking he is going to be a professional basketball player!!!
21396, RE: most of mine want to be wrestlers.......n/m
Posted by nappiness, Wed Sep-13-00 04:43 AM
--------sig-----------
Nappiness is next to Godliness!!!
"Poetry is theft, I'm a word kleptomaniac" (c)Patience Agbabi
Ms. Nappiness
http://www.geocities.com/okay_poets/nappiness.html
21397, okay..that's kinda funnyn/m
Posted by UrbanCowgRRL, Wed Sep-13-00 09:04 AM
Much love,
Kyle

21398, answer
Posted by Binlahab, Wed Sep-13-00 06:20 AM
have you thought about personally going door to door, if necessary, and putting a face with a name? it will be a major constarint on you, but it will @ the same time, let parents know that there is and is expected to remain some type of symbiotic relationship between yourself, the board and the parent in how that child is educated.
21399, Good point
Posted by janey, Wed Sep-13-00 06:31 AM
My boyfriend is a resource ed teacher in elementary school and he frequently has to meet with parents about their children -- whether or not special ed is recommended, what everyone can do to help the child, etc. -- and he's told me that he can see the change in attitude on Black parents' faces when they walk through the door and find out that they'll be dealing with someone who is wrapped in the same color as them. He says it makes all the difference, because suddenly they feel that they have a common bond and common goals.

Peace.
21400, RE: Good point
Posted by Nettrice, Wed Sep-13-00 08:31 AM
I think I mentioned mandatory intake interviews for parents in my first response. To clarify I'd like to add that intakes were mandatory meaning no intake no tutoring. I was able to meet parents face-to-face and sometimes this was the only chance to meet them all year.

On two occassions I can remember going beyond the interview and really making a difference. A parent came to me about having problems communicating with her son. She had a difficult divorce and the her sons were in the middle. I was able to bring in a social worker/counselor and we were able to help her. She came to 90% of the parent events.

Another parent was a recovering addict who was trying to deal with living with her son again after a long period. I was the first staff person to interact with her...ever and her son had been in the program for 10 years! Eventually, she came in weekly for counseling and became active in events. I have lots of parent stories like these because I had over 150 kids.

My point is to agree that one-on-one interation means so much to parents. The ideas being presented in this discussion is on point!

21401, RE: Good point
Posted by Brownsugar, Wed Sep-13-00 09:34 AM
I Found out about a program called, "Chicago Communities In schools". When we were at the last lsc meeting, the coordinator of this program passed out literature to all of the members. It is a non-profit organization dedicated to help children and parents by supplying social service agencies, mental health counseling, asthma screenings, gang and violence prevention programs and tutoring and mentoring.

After I read all of the suggestions here, I did realize that intimidation of "higher authorities", could also be a problem. I think I am making slow progress. Last year there was never any parents at the meetings. When I personally handed out flyers to the parents, I did get a large group of Hispanics to turn out. Now, we are going to talk to the principal of the school about serving refreshments at the next meeting, such as pop, coffee, donuts and potato chips. We have about three more weeks before the next meeting. I will personally pass out the flyers again, and let the parent know that there will be refreshments at the next meeting. Yes, it's bribary, but we got to do whatever it takes. Hopefully, the principal will go along with our refreshment suggestions. Once we can get the races together, then I can see, incorporating further suggestions. First I got to try to get the parents to come to the meetings!!!

21402, yAy..
Posted by UrbanCowgRRL, Wed Sep-13-00 09:12 AM
see now we're all getting to the bottom of it..

It's all about the parents seeing a certain level of dedication and caringness that can spark there interest levels...

yeah..i'm sure it's comforting for black parents to have a colored face helping their community out and helping their children..but from experience..my much lighter complextion has had nann effect on my efforts toward bettering a community...when a parent sees the shine..smile..sparkle on their childrens face from my involvement in their lives...the color issue gets thrown out the fuckin' window...it's all about the level of professionalism u use...if ure doing good things for ANY community/children of any color and show a HIGH level of concern, care and interest...it comes back to you in higher forms than one can imagine...specially the love....

but the key is a face to face interaction...a voice..something to motivate these parents and someone real in the involvement

did i make any sense?...ahh...
Much love,
Kyle

21403, RE: yAy..
Posted by Brownsugar, Wed Sep-13-00 11:37 AM
Yes, what you said does make a lot of sense!!! Hopefully the color of my skin, will not be an issue, but if it is...that will have to be addressed amongst the council members and we will have to work something out!!!...Like I said...We got to get through to the parents...that is the only way to progress forward.
21404, good luck playa..
Posted by UrbanCowgRRL, Wed Sep-13-00 12:58 PM
ure doing a wonderful thing..

DOING..not TALKING...well talk is good..but it's also cheap :D...ACTivism

Much love,
Kyle