Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #28156

Subject: "new here, but a few observations......." This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
JDee

Tue Nov-16-99 07:55 PM

"new here, but a few observations......."

Mostly toward "qoolquest".<P>Ok, a brief piece of history of my work in the industry, over the past 5 years i've worked as an A&R and head of promotions for various record labels, Universal and BMG as examples, and i presently produce, most notably, tracks for Rascalz, Channel Live and Shabaam Shadeeq.<P>That had nothing to do with anything, but just to let ya'll know i'm not typing here as a fan, or someone working at a label, but as someone with knowledge of both sides of things.<P>I noticed, Quest, your use of the word "ignorant" to describe alot of the cats who challenged you, for the most part i agree alot. Asking 5 - 10$ for a concert is unheard of in Hip Hop. People don't understand that in this industry the labels KNOW Hip Hop is the most popular music in the world, therefor there's ALOT of money with the people who will come to concerts.<P>But back to the "letter". The entire thing was focused around The Roots going to perform at a 21 and over club, rather than an under-agers club. Alot of people missed the point, and side tracked it.<P>I don't see why the Roots shouldn't perform at an all-ages gig. Or any Hip hop act for that matter. In the industry we know the Hip Hop "buyers" demographic to be in the teenage years. Why should they miss out? It's a given that the promoters have "deals" with 21 clubs (and the alcohol makes alot of money for them), and generally under-ages clubs are more costly to hire. But, labels like your own, MCA/Universal put money into assuring concerts go ahead where the demographics are at their highest. It's also a given that there will be "pc people" who dance around saying "you can't say that word infront of my childs face!", and that's the main obsticle.<P>I hate punk, but i won't go there. The reason rock/punk acts do "cheap" shows is not because they're "do it yourself" groups or performances, it's because the music isn't selling to the level Hip hop is.<P>Now, the biggest problem i had, "qoolquest", was with this "established" artists shit you were trying to pull. Which is it? 6 albums or gold albums? <BR>In both reasoning, Gangstarr was never "established" until last year. EPMD are yet to be "established", as with Brand Nubian, Kid Frost, King T, Just-Ice, Alkaholiks, M.O.P, the entire B.C.C and Beatnuts. <BR>You're not established in industry terms until you release your first album on a major label. Eminem was not "established" until he released his album on Aftermath. Cru were not "established" until they did their thing on Def Jam. <P>In conclusion, i feel "qoolquest", you need to be more direct in your responses, not all of us are ignorant to the industry. And none of us need to be treated like we are. If you don't attempt to educate us, how are we gonna know? Or do you want more letters requesting your performance at underager clubs?<P>And, to the rest of you on this board, and others. I don't mean to be some "evil man from ruin your life land" or anything, but why are ya'll so strung up on "This group is gods gift to my life"? "qoolquest" is out for loot, like everyone in Hip hop is. He just happens to love what he does to make that loot. Standing behind him begging or standing up and stating what's on your mind, and letting the man defend himself and attempt to justify his actions and thoughts don't change him. And they shouldn't change him. Can we have an indepth discussion on issues surrounding the industry relations with "fans" without the "oooohhh i just love your group"? or the "fuck your group cause i said so" shit?<P>Peace.

Printer-friendly copy

new here, but a few observations....... [View all] , JDee, Tue Nov-16-99 07:55 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
wait a minute!
Nov 16th 1999
Well, i re-read what i typed and
JDee
Nov 16th 1999
      AMEN!
BizMarvD
Nov 16th 1999
      clarification---
Nov 17th 1999
respect due!
ecrire
Nov 16th 1999
&quot;qoolquest&quot; &quot;responds&quot; &quot;again&quot;
Nov 17th 1999
To 21 or not to 21
Nov 17th 1999
Coming from a 20 year old
Sienablaz
Nov 18th 1999
      Like I said before...
Crossfaded
Nov 18th 1999
no, Quest, i'm not pissed or surprised
JDee
Nov 17th 1999
here we go again ...
Nov 17th 1999
Pretty good post but...
Crossfaded
Nov 17th 1999
I see it like this
Nov 18th 1999
what was the point of that?
JDee
Nov 17th 1999
      hold up---
Nov 17th 1999
      I'm only speculating of course...
Crossfaded
Nov 17th 1999
           Thanks.
JDee
Nov 17th 1999
           Reading Comprehension
Nov 18th 1999
                Which was the thorough part?
JDee
Nov 19th 1999
                     Getting D.E.E.P.
Nov 20th 1999
                          ok.......
JDee
Nov 22nd 1999
      still polite
Nov 18th 1999
           One last time at being &quot;nice&quot;.
JDee
Nov 18th 1999
                my bad
JDee
Nov 18th 1999
                OK, got the message
Nov 18th 1999
                     Come off like what?
JDee
Nov 19th 1999
                          don't you have better things to do with your time?
Nov 23rd 1999
                               smack smack smack
Nov 23rd 1999
                               ok, again, for the slow people.
JDee
Nov 23rd 1999
                                    What other site?
Nov 24th 1999
SMACK!!!SMACK!!!SMACK!!!!
Nov 17th 1999
lol ! (n/m)
Nov 18th 1999
so whatcha sayin?
bananaman
Nov 18th 1999
uh.......no they didn't.
JDee
Nov 19th 1999

Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #28156 Previous topic | Next topic