Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectnew here, but a few observations.......
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=28156&mesg_id=28156
28156, new here, but a few observations.......
Posted by guest, Tue Nov-16-99 07:55 PM
Mostly toward "qoolquest".<P>Ok, a brief piece of history of my work in the industry, over the past 5 years i've worked as an A&R and head of promotions for various record labels, Universal and BMG as examples, and i presently produce, most notably, tracks for Rascalz, Channel Live and Shabaam Shadeeq.<P>That had nothing to do with anything, but just to let ya'll know i'm not typing here as a fan, or someone working at a label, but as someone with knowledge of both sides of things.<P>I noticed, Quest, your use of the word "ignorant" to describe alot of the cats who challenged you, for the most part i agree alot. Asking 5 - 10$ for a concert is unheard of in Hip Hop. People don't understand that in this industry the labels KNOW Hip Hop is the most popular music in the world, therefor there's ALOT of money with the people who will come to concerts.<P>But back to the "letter". The entire thing was focused around The Roots going to perform at a 21 and over club, rather than an under-agers club. Alot of people missed the point, and side tracked it.<P>I don't see why the Roots shouldn't perform at an all-ages gig. Or any Hip hop act for that matter. In the industry we know the Hip Hop "buyers" demographic to be in the teenage years. Why should they miss out? It's a given that the promoters have "deals" with 21 clubs (and the alcohol makes alot of money for them), and generally under-ages clubs are more costly to hire. But, labels like your own, MCA/Universal put money into assuring concerts go ahead where the demographics are at their highest. It's also a given that there will be "pc people" who dance around saying "you can't say that word infront of my childs face!", and that's the main obsticle.<P>I hate punk, but i won't go there. The reason rock/punk acts do "cheap" shows is not because they're "do it yourself" groups or performances, it's because the music isn't selling to the level Hip hop is.<P>Now, the biggest problem i had, "qoolquest", was with this "established" artists shit you were trying to pull. Which is it? 6 albums or gold albums? <BR>In both reasoning, Gangstarr was never "established" until last year. EPMD are yet to be "established", as with Brand Nubian, Kid Frost, King T, Just-Ice, Alkaholiks, M.O.P, the entire B.C.C and Beatnuts. <BR>You're not established in industry terms until you release your first album on a major label. Eminem was not "established" until he released his album on Aftermath. Cru were not "established" until they did their thing on Def Jam. <P>In conclusion, i feel "qoolquest", you need to be more direct in your responses, not all of us are ignorant to the industry. And none of us need to be treated like we are. If you don't attempt to educate us, how are we gonna know? Or do you want more letters requesting your performance at underager clubs?<P>And, to the rest of you on this board, and others. I don't mean to be some "evil man from ruin your life land" or anything, but why are ya'll so strung up on "This group is gods gift to my life"? "qoolquest" is out for loot, like everyone in Hip hop is. He just happens to love what he does to make that loot. Standing behind him begging or standing up and stating what's on your mind, and letting the man defend himself and attempt to justify his actions and thoughts don't change him. And they shouldn't change him. Can we have an indepth discussion on issues surrounding the industry relations with "fans" without the "oooohhh i just love your group"? or the "fuck your group cause i said so" shit?<P>Peace.